Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

All the stupid petty arguing and trying to get one up that is going on before the consoles are released is childish IMO.

I'm talking about the response to the question. Was it good, expected business, or childish?

Neverminf actually. I sense some backtracking afoot and I'm not sure I care enough ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'm talking about the response to the question. Was it good, expected business, or childish?

It made sense from a business point of view but he should have said no comment as there is a chance it could backfire on sony if they do the same thing as ms.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It made sense from a business point of view but he should have said no comment as there is a chance it could backfire on sony if they do the same thing as ms.

Sony have never blocked a console before, so I do not think they would start doing it now, Shu is a executive with a lot of pull, if he says it will not happen, it will not happen, he has never lied before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Xenji wrote: »
    Sony have never blocked a console before, so I do not think they would start doing it now, Shu is a executive with a lot of pull, if he says it will not happen, it will not happen, he has never lied before.

no need for sony to do it. day one patch went out on thursday of this week i believe. any consoles in the wild that get shipped early won't have an unfinished online infrastructure to content with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Pedro Monscooch

To those getting both consoles, what games are you buying?

I've both preordered but xbox would be my personal preference with multiplatform games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I guess you mean getting both at launch. I'll be getting both, just don't know when yet. There are multiplats I know I'll be interested in getting. Assassin's Creed 4, Watch Dogs, Metal Gear Solid 5.

In terms of exclusives, I don't know what I'll get yet. In terms of the One, I'll be keeping an eye on D4. As far as the PS4 goes, I'll keep an eye out for The Order see if that is any good. Primarily, the games that are going to be of interest will be ones we don't even know about yet, which is kinda why I have no interest in getting either at launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Sony. They are just trying to get one up on MS, when realistically there's only a slim chance of a PS4 getting posted early.

Slim chance?

Appears a PS4 is already out in public.

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I've both preordered but xbox would be my personal preference with multiplatform games.

Getting both at launch. The 360 was my primary console and got all my multiplatforms for it, that and I find it almost impossible to aim with the Dual Shock 3 in fps games. PS3 was for exclusives but PS+ has changed all that.

Now I see the PS4 being my primary now that they have fixed the sticks, triggers and made the controller bigger. Just getting the X1 for exclusives.

Games at launch I'm getting:
    PS4: Killzone SF and AC4
    X1: Forza 5 (free with console) and Dead Rising 3

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

xbox-one-true-lies.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

If this poll is going to be any indication of sales, it looks like the Playstation will be outselling the Xbox at about 4 to one.

.......4.....to......one.

You see that?

That cant be coincidence :cool:

(if anybody needs me I'l be in the conspiracy theory thread)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 vladicaris

Why you need two console almost no difference in game titles ?

vladicaris wrote: »
    Why you need two console almost no difference in game titles ?
    Was there almost no difference in titles last gen? There was a lot of overlap, yes, but almost no difference is going way overboard on that. There were plenty of titles that I could only get on one console. Enough so that owning both was a sensible thing to do.

Anyone who is a one console gamer has very probably missed out on many great games. As for next gen, well, we don't know about that many games relatively speaking. It'll take time before we see some great games, obviously. It isn't even out yet. You can't base the worth of owning a console based on launch titles.

It wouldn't be for me, but even at launch, both consoles could appeal to people. A person might be a big fan of Killzone and Forza and would get plenty of time out of both consoles. I'm not a fan of either, so I wouldn't.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

On the exclusives, the One would probably edge it for me with Titanfall and Dead Rising 3 (and maybe Forza), but i still think i'll get a PS4 first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Sony investigating reported PS4 hardware issues.
    Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida says the company is looking into reports of PS4 hardware issues.

Its just 7 consoles, or 0.04 0f stock that has been released so far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Xenji wrote: »
    Its just 7 consoles, or 0.04 0f stock that has been released so far.

Still kind of worrying since Sony has never released a console that didn't have problems at launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭photofinish

I have had all the Playstation consoles and all the Xbox consoles to date.

Microsoft and Sony are huge and I consider myself a paying customer not a fan.

Xbox 360 and PS3 run games pretty equally in the early days on multi platform releases 360 seemed to be ahead of frame-rate and textures.
    Closer to the end of this generation it seemed to be about even with the PS3 getting the benefit of the odd sharper texture and higher bit-rate in game video thanks to that Blu ray storage.
    All in all the two consoles looked and played 99.9% the same.

As regards exclusives I loved the Forza and Halo games along with Gears or War.
    However the only game I really played this year was GTA V and it was multi platform.

Apps are becoming more important Netflix Sky Go and Xbox video and got quite a bit of use from me.

Reports are saying the PS4 is much more powerful then the Xbox One this is what has me thinking?

Will this be noticeable will the same game running on the Xbox One stand out as inferior to it's PS4 cousin?

PS3 and Xbox 360 are ten year old hardware and I have really being looking forward to a jump to the next generation.

I like Xbox exclusive games way more but not at the price of having the rubbish version of multi platform titles.

I am not paying €900 to go for the two consoles.

Can Xbox One match the PS4 on performance to the casual observer or will there be a real noticeable difference?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

And surprising they'd make an official announcement if it's such a small number. The Kotaku review guys said their 1st console was a dud though, so we'll have to see how widespread it actually is.

Last thing we need is another generation of dodgy consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Still kind of worrying since Sony has never released a console that didn't have problems at launch.

Name one company that didn't?

I reckon they just did it to show it was just a miniscule amount of consoles affected so people did not think it was a widespread issue.

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    And surprising they'd make an official announcement if it's such a small number. The Kotaku review guys said their 1st console was a dud though, so we'll have to see how widespread it actually is.

Last thing we need is another generation of dodgy consoles.

I had a RROD red ring of death of my first Xbox 360 and YLOD yellow light of death of my first PS3 they bolt lasted about a year.

I got the Slim PS3 and the Slim Xbox 360 and no problems since.

The first batch of PS3 consoles had a very high fail rate however this was masked because the 360 had a much higher fail rate.

I still got a dud from Sony and Microsoft.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Varik wrote: »
    Name company one that didn't?

Sega and Nintendo, Microsoft (360 a disaster but XBox was very solid and apparently .44 magnum proof), NEC, SNK, etc.

Not being a fanboy or anything but the original PS1 had disc drives made of plastic that wore after a month and dodgy disc drives until well into the life cycle. PS2 had a massive disc drive failure rate, so much so a class action in the US was taken against them that Sony lost and the PS3 had the YLOD. Not saying the PS4 will be the same but their track record is hardly something that encourages me. I've had quite a few other Sony products fail on me as well due to dodgy laser drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

First games console was a PSOne, then PS2, PSP, PS3, PS Vita and the next will be a PS4.

Never had an XBOX. I'm use to Playstation (and the controller) now so I'll be sticking with that again, and it being €100 cheaper doesn't hurt either!

PS3 and Xbox 360 are ten year old hardware and I have really being looking forward to a jump to the next generation.

Can Xbox One match the PS4 on performance to the casual observer or will there be a real noticeable difference?

The PS3 is 7 and the 360 is 8 years old next week, they ain't 10 yet. The 360 had the better GPU so thats why most multiplats looked and ran better on it than the PS3 for the most part.

This time the PS4 has the most powerful GPU and more memory bandwidth and already there are differences. CoD Ghosts runs at 720p on the X1 and is upscaled to 1080p, the PS4 runs it straight out at 1080p. But the PS4 suffers from some slow downs at times. BF4 runs at 900p on the X1 and 1080p on the PS4. So from the start the developers are getting more out of the PS4. In Ghosts the PS4 is pumping out twice the amount of pixels on screen per sceond than the X1 is.

Time will tell what happens when MS get their graphics drivers in order but the PS4 will also get improvements as it progresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Sega and Nintendo, Microsoft (360 a disaster but XBox was very solid and apparently .44 magnum proof), NEC, SNK, etc.

Not being a fanboy or anything but the original PS1 had disc drives made of plastic that wore after a month and dodgy disc drives until well into the life cycle. PS2 had a massive disc drive failure rate, so much so a class action in the US was taken against them that Sony lost and the PS3 had the YLOD. Not saying the PS4 will be the same but their track record is hardly something that encourages me. I've had quite a few other Sony products fail on me as well due to dodgy laser drives.

I'm not accusing you of anything but it was a rhetorical question, there will never be a product 100% free of defects.

Time will tell what happens when MS get their graphics drivers in order but the PS4 will also get improvements as it progresses.

So the question becomes how much of this is hardware and how much is down to the drivers?

Also the PS4 running in full 1080P but with slowdown.

Is this new generation already hitting a performance brick wall right from the start?

Getting Xbox One with Fifa, Forza, BF4, and cod ghost. In March I'll get Titanfall.

I like you want to play Forza.

What about the power difference is it not making you want to ask a few questions before splashing the cash either way?

Also the PS4 running in full 1080P but with slowdown.

Is this new generation already hitting a performance brick wall right from the start?

Part of it is that Ghost's engine is new and is not running great on PCs either, it seems to be badly optimized and is a resource hog, have to have really high specs to get decent performance yet the game does not look anything amazing.

The other part is that game developers are still figuring out the new consoles and how to get the best out of them. Compare the graphics of Forza 2 to Forza 4 on the 360 to see how far they have come. Same with something like Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 3 or the Last of Us on the PS3.

Then there is Mass Effect 1, it has very bad frames rates and load times on the 360 then take Mass Effect 3, looks far, far better, has no frame rate issues.

Mass Effect 1 was ported over to the PS3 late in it's life and it runs as bad if not worse as the 360 version, just shows that it's game engine was poorly optimized for consoles.

It's what happens when you have to make a game for unfinalised hardware with unfinalised OS and drivers. You're making a game while trying to hit a moving target you can't see. It's amazing the developers get launch games running at all. PS1, 2 and 3 launch games had awful framerate problems and were hardly indicative of what the hardware offered.

• Advertisement

www.shacknews.com/article/82040/tales-games-coming-to-playstation-4-not-xbox-one

There are going to be lots of exclusives on the PS4 I'm going to want, and the above is an example of something I'll definitely be wanting to get.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement