Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

sarumite wrote: »
    I have the Original Sixaxis with its crappy form factor. Sony brings out the Dualshock with same crappy form factor. Don't be expecting a massive correction on Sonys part.
    They brought out the dualshock because the legal issues preventing them from using rumble were sorted, so they could bring out a controller that used rumble. Microsoft settled out of court, but Sony didn't, and well...

www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immersion_v._Sony

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Christ, remember that nonsense? "Rumble is dropped because it's a last gen feature".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Too much demand or poor supply in the US?

imagemmkes.jpg

imagerzp11.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

It's nothing to do with the extra features apparently, they just used a rubbish battery in the DS4. You can apparently put in a DS3 battery and more or less double the battery life. Seriously poor play on Sony's part.

http://www.psu.com/a022202/Extend-PS4s-DualShock-4-battery-life-without-modding

Well that's poor form. No doubt trying to keep costs down. If they removed that trackpad and used the money for a bigger battery it would've been better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

RasTa wrote: »
    Too much demand or poor supply in the US?

I suspect a bit of both. Sony are primarily an manufacturing company so I suspect their supply chain should be pretty good. However they have launched in a lot more territories than MS so they are stretching that supply much thinner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

sarumite wrote: »
    I suspect a bit of both. Sony are primarily an manufacturing company so I suspect their supply chain should be pretty good. However they have launched in a lot more territories than MS so they are stretching that supply much thinner.

Well it's coming out in Japan in 12 days so surprised the US seems to be still out of stock. Supose the hype is good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

RasTa wrote: »
    Jesus, can you read? I said you don't get to keep the games forever, it's also a non issue as it's nice having a brand new shiny game to play for free each month. Multiple games if you have PS3 and a Vita to boot.

Ok I'll explain it to you. The games are not free. You have to buy a PS+ subscription and sony will let you download and play certain games every month. Now it's a pretty good service there is no denying that. But if you don't want to subscribe again you can't play the games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's plenty in stock in Sligo. PS4 shortage my ass! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Christ, remember that nonsense? "Rumble is dropped because it's a last gen feature".

Also it interfered with the motion sensing, despite the fact that there was a PS1 dual shock controller already released (but quite rare and obscure) with rumble and motion sensing not to mention the Wiimote.

Nothing to do with that lawsuit they had at the time :) You've got to love Sony for their corporate lies!

I kind of wish the launch of one of the consoles was more of a disaster, it would spice things up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Ok I'll explain it to you. The games are not free. You have to buy a PS+ subscription and sony will let you download and play certain games every month. Now it's a pretty good service there is no denying that. But if you don't want to subscribe again you can't play the games.

What did he say that makes you believe he doesn't understand the concept of how PS Plus works?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I've been semi-intrigued with the VGCharts site, lately. In the US, the PS4 launched stronger than the Xbox One did, but they were neck and neck, by Christmas, and are still very close, there. 3DS lead, or was beating at least one of them most weeks leading up to the holidays.

In Europe, the PS4 has been pretty much pounding the Xbox One the last couple of months, with the 3DS beating both with ease, until presumably the the couple of week when the PS4 came back in stock.

In Europe also, the PS3 was beating the Xbox One at the end of Dec/start of Jan. That's Christmas and the lack of available Xbox Ones, maybe.

3DS still up with, between, or even ahead a lot of weeks, worldwide. When I owned a 3DS, things looked bleak, but it really took off.

What did he say that makes you believe he doesn't understand the concept of how PS Plus works?

Can you upgrade the HD on the xbox? Although might not be needed as you don't get a free game every month.

Zing!

This

Ah, Jaysus, I know we re-cover old ground, but this was done on last week's episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Grayditch wrote: »
    Ah, Jaysus, I know we re-cover old ground, but this was done on last week's episode.

We should start doing a recap post of everything that we have gone over in the last week on a Monday :pac:

He said the xbox doesn't have any free games yet.

And then clarified himself twice. I have PS Plus and I'm not going to give up my subscription until I finish playing with whatever PS consoles I have left. When that happens, it won't really matter what PSPlus games are on it that I won't be able to play anymore.

The thing is, as far I can see, Live won't really be able to give away games for the One unless they ape Instant Game Collection subscription system which I can't see being a bad thing. I think most people on PS Plus would be happier to 'rent' recent releases over getting free 3-4 year old games. I get Plus purely for the Instant Game Collection.

And then clarified himself twice. I have PS Plus and I'm not going to give up my subscription until I finish playing with whatever PS consoles I have left. When that happens, it won't really matter what PSPlus games are on it that I won't be able to play anymore.

The thing is, as far I can see, Live won't really be able to give away games for the One unless they ape Instant Game Collection subscription system which I can't see being a bad thing. I think most people on PS Plus would be happier to 'rent' recent releases over getting free 3-4 year old games. I get Plus purely for the Instant Game Collection.

He said you don't get to keep the games forever which wasn't the point I was making. I was talking about paying. I subscribe to Netflix and when they update their catalogue I don't think I am getting free movies, I see it as rental scheme.

Xenji wrote: »
    We should start doing a recap post of everything that we have gone over in the last week on a Monday :pac:

Monday Minuets.

- When someone says Free games in relation to PsPlus, they mean complimentary games, playable until subscription ceases. As a side note, the PSN store itself mark them as "free".

- Free games on Xbox exist, presumable, and are free forever.

I got that right?

Monday Minuets.

- When someone says Free games in relation to PsPlus, they mean complimentary games, playable until subscription ceases. As a side note, the PSN store itself mark them as "free".

- Free games on Xbox exist, presumable, and are free forever.

I got that right?

Yes except you spelt minutes wrong

Yes except you spelt minutes wrong

No, you just have to read it in 3/4 time.

He said you don't get to keep the games forever which wasn't the point I was making. I was talking about paying. I subscribe to Netflix and when they update their catalogue I don't think I am getting free movies, I see it as rental scheme.

So, you don't get free games on either system for your subscription.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

If you're going to be pedantic about it nothing's free. Buy one get one free? You're just getting them half price if you buy 2. 50% extra free? It's just the same price for a larger container.
    The PS+ games are free as in they are an added bonus for subscribing to the service that allows you play games online/use cloud storage/etc. They are free to play while you are a PS+ member.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I think it will be a long time til microsoft give any free games away for the xbox one and going on what they gave us with the 360 it wont be worth talking about

It's a pretty ingenius move by Sony all the same. You pay Sony money each year, they rent you out more games than you can ever physically play, mostly games you would have no interest in playing otherwise. Then you have to keep up the subscription or lose the games. Even better is when it comes to a new generation you'll have to take into account your PS Plus 'collection' when choosing your next console.

All this while making some people believe they are getting these games for free. Now that's marketing done ruthlessy and brilliantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's a pretty ingenius move by Sony all the same. You pay Sony money each year, they rent you out more games than you can ever physically play, mostly games you would have no interest in playing otherwise. Then you have to keep up the subscription or lose the games. Even better is when it comes to a new generation you'll have to take into account your PS Plus 'collection' when choosing your next console.

All this while making some people believe they are getting these games for free. Now that's marketing done ruthlessy and brilliantly.

You are getting to play these games for free. It doesn't cost you any extra to play them over the flat subscription service. You could claim that it's built into the price, but the point still stands that it's a real bargain compared to its competitors.

It is a sneaky way of enforcing brand loyalty across console generations, I have to agree with you there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Now that's marketing done ruthlessy and brilliantly.

And Sony don't even have to pay the gimps/fanboys nice helpful people on public forums to spout about the free subscription service.

F1ngers wrote: »
    And Sony don't even have to pay the gimps/fanboys nice helpful people on public forums to spout about the free subscription service.

Wow...

Ok, keep it civil.

There all highly rated games so I think most people are interested in playing them if they don't already have them. I'm delighted to be able to hunker down with Bioshock Infinite and Metro Last Light this month.

Wow...

Given he's a Playstation Mod, I'm imagining there's a certain amount of sarcasm going on there...

• Advertisement

Given he's a Playstation Mod, I'm imagining there's a certain amount of sarcasm going on there...

Ah I know, but that came out of nowhere :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement