Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

They do. They have to approve any game before it goes onto their console(s).

just to make sure the game doesnt break consoles. it's not approved based on the actual quality of the product

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,616 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ah im not mad about the wii u pro controller... its a decent controller prob little bit better that the dualshock 4 though

I picked up the WiiU Pro Controller myself but I didn't enjoy the button and stick arrangement at all.
    I picked a Giotek GC 2 WiiU controller instead, with the traditional 360 configuration, much better and, at the flick of a switch it's a Wii pro controller instead. Plus it's half the price of the Nintendo offering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

More value, don't like GS so wonder if Amazon will match.
    he PS4 has received its first unofficial price drop in the UK, courtesy of GameStop.

The online branch of the retailer is selling consoles for £329.97, which is £20 below the retail price seen elsewhere of £349.99. It's worth noting that this isn't an official price drop announced by Sony.

This thing is still sold out on amazon.co.uk and amazon.com.

Madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

COYVB wrote: »
    just to make sure the game doesnt break consoles. it's not approved based on the actual quality of the product

They can refuse to let it on for any reason they like, but you're right insofar that they only really check for bugs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They can refuse to let it on for any reason they like, but you're right insofar that they only really check for bugs.

No they can't unless they want to get sued to high heavens by the publisher. They already lost that case back in the 80's with Tengen, there's no way they want a repeat of that, not company does.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    No they can't unless they want to get sued to high heavens by the publisher. They already lost that case back in the 80's with Tengen, there's no way they want a repeat of that, not company does.

Could you link me to this information, I can only find instances where Nintendo sued Tengen and settled out of court and where they sued Tengen and won?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

The Xbox one game program is overseen by Microsoft and games must be submitted and pass a quality, stability as well as a price check. This is different to to the 360 indie program, where games weren't validated by Microsoft.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Could you link me to this information, I can only find instances where Nintendo sued Tengen and settled out of court and where they sued Tengen and won?

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=1&cId=3146206

BTW Tengen and Atari are the same company.

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=1&cId=3146206

BTW Tengen and Atari are the same company.

The only additional piece of information is that Nintendo were sued under anti-competition laws for forcing all games made for the NES to be exclusives and threatening to refuse to sell their consoles in stores stocking competitors' consoles. I'm still not sure how this relates to console manufacturers not being able to refuse to allow a game to be released on their platform if it doesn't meet their quality standards. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

That article's an interesting read.
    As a result, Nintendo shepherded its third parties under strict (and, some developers argued, unfair) rules that required all NES games to be licensed. In addition, companies were not allowed to release more than five games a year for the system, and those games were required to remain exclusive to Nintendo.

• Advertisement

The only additional piece of information is that Nintendo were sued under anti-competition laws for forcing all games made for the NES to be exclusives and threatening to refuse to sell their consoles in stores stocking competitors' consoles. I'm still not sure how this relates to console manufacturers not being able to refuse to allow a game to be released on their platform if it doesn't meet their quality standards. :confused:

It doesn't relate because it is unrelated. Microsoft retain the right to refuse to allow a game to be published on their xbox one platform if it does not pass quality checks.

It doesn't relate because it is unrelated. Microsoft retain the right to refuse to allow a game to be published on their xbox one platform if it does not pass quality checks.

No it's totally related. If any of the platform holders refuse to give a license to a game for any reason other than it not passing qualuity checks then it can be seen as anti-consumer, which it is. The reason that law case was made was because Nintendo was refusing licenses to companies if the game wasn't exclusive to their machine and also they were limiting publishers to only 3 games a year on their system. Yes it doesn't really relate to how good a game is, although the 3 game limit was imposed to try and raise the quality of games, but if a game was refused becasue it wasn't good the same anti-consumer laws would apply.

Quality checks don't mean they check to see if the game is good, they are checking to see if it's bug free, doesn't contain memory leaks and won't compromise the systems security, that kind of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Cant see what all the fuss about :pac:

LOOKSSSS AWESOMEEEE

It's nice to see a multiplayer FPS relying on speed and manoeuvrability when modern day FPS are very slow.

No it's totally related. If any of the platform holders refuse to give a license to a game for any reason other than it not passing qualuity checks then it can be seen as anti-consumer, which it is. The reason that law case was made was because Nintendo was refusing licenses to companies if the game wasn't exclusive to their machine and also they were limiting publishers to only 3 games a year on their system. Yes it doesn't really relate to how good a game is, although the 3 game limit was imposed to try and raise the quality of games, but if a game was refused becasue it wasn't good the same anti-consumer laws would apply.

Quality checks don't mean they check to see if the game is good, they are checking to see if it's bug free, doesn't contain memory leaks and won't compromise the systems security, that kind of stuff.

Quality checks in this instance specifically mean quality, not stability, as there are separate stability tests. I'm not sure why you are linking Nintendo's exclusivity clause with Microsoft's ability to refuse a games inclusion to the platform because of poor quality. They are totally unrelated.

Does look great. Maybe not one for longevity, time till tell, but it looks like it could be very good.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Does look great. Maybe not one for longevity, time till tell, but it looks like it could be very good.
    Usually I'll get 1 year out of a FPS and if its really good 2 years. So hopefully it lasts.

It's looking a lot better in that video than in previous ones I'd seen.

It's looking a lot better in that video than in previous ones I'd seen.
    I liked the part when the Titan punched the guy on the back of the other Titan. :D

Quality checks in this instance specifically mean quality, not stability, as there are separate stability tests. I'm not sure why you are linking Nintendo's exclusivity clause with Microsoft's ability to refuse a games inclusion to the platform because of poor quality. They are totally unrelated.

No you're wrong there. Quality checks are exactly how I describe them. There's no where in there submission guidelines that says anything about how good the software needs to be:

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/containers/fix058/1076682/000119312512013912/d283917dex101.htm

• Advertisement

No you're wrong there. Quality checks are exactly how I describe them. There's no where in there submission guidelines that says anything about how good the software needs to be:

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/containers/fix058/1076682/000119312512013912/d283917dex101.htm
    The Xbox one game program is overseen by Microsoft and games must be submitted and pass a quality, stability as well as a price check. This is different to to the 360 indie program, where games weren't validated by Microsoft.

Wrong submission guidelines, that's the 360.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/uk_faculty_connection/archive/2014/01/29/id-xbox-independent-developers-publishing-program-for-xbox-one.aspx?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Now don’t forget, unlike the X360 Indie program (XBLIG), the ID@XBOX process is officially curated by Microsoft, there will be an approval process to validate the quality, stability and price of your game before it’s approved to go on to the marketplace

And where exactly does it say that the quality checks are there to check if the game is any good?

And where exactly does it say that the quality checks are there to check if the game is any good?

Why would it say that quality checks are to verify if the game is "good"? That's not what quality checks are.

What do you think the difference is between quality and stability tests?

Do you accept that MS can refuse inclusion to the platform based on quality and stability?

Because from my own time time in the games industry stability checks were there to check for memory leaks and crashes while quality testing was bug testing.

Because from my own time time in the games industry stability checks were there to check for memory leaks and crashes while quality testing was bug testing.

Was this time spent developing xbox one games? The criteria have changed significantly from 360 development. 360 had no review by MS.

I don't really follow your argument any more to be honest, you seem to be using the terms quality and stability interchangeably. In one post you mentioned memory leaks as a quality check, in the quoted one you mention them as stability.

So, i reiterate: Quality checks in this instance specifically mean quality, not stability, as there are separate stability tests. I'm not sure why you are linking Nintendo's exclusivity clause with Microsoft's ability to refuse a games inclusion to the platform because of poor quality. They are totally unrelated.

^^ what is the confusion about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

What in God's name are we arguing about now!? :P

tok9 wrote: »
    What in God's name are we arguing about now!? :P

How awesome this game was.

ET_Atari_2600_boxscan.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Grayditch wrote: »
    How awesome this game was.

ET_Atari_2600_boxscan.jpg

Stability wise or quality wise? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Maragenie

€400 - €500 euro for a yoke that is struggling 30fps on 1080p is daylight robbery for a product that's supposed stand the test of time for the next 7 years.

But if I had to decide I'd go PS4 all day long.

-_-

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement