Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If it was running at well over 30 but not hitting 60 it would be a jerky stuttering mess.

Unless they locked it at something different? Can they do that? 50fps for example?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    FFS, it should be very easy to tell if it's running at 30 or 60. If it was running at well over 30 but not hitting 60 it would be a jerky stuttering mess. I'm guessing it's a solid 30 from those comments.

Not really, Tomb Raider averages at 50fps and isn't a stuttering mess.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

COYVB wrote: »
    Unless they locked it at something different? Can they do that? 50fps for example?

They could do that but due to how TV refresh rates work you'd end up nearly every frame being torn and it will look awful. It's why games are locked at 30 or 60.
    RasTa wrote: »
    Not really, Tomb Raider averages at 50fps and isn't a stuttering mess.

Yeah stuttering mess is an exaggeration but you can feel the frame drops when it happens, although averaging 50 FPS isn't so bad, frame drops there will be happening during busy moments so not as noticeable.

I just find it ridiculous that a game journalist couldn't really tell from playing a game what it is (it might sound snobby but it's really not that hard to make a very good guess considering it's either 30 or 60).

Some sales stats from the states for Jan
    Trivia:
    -Tomb Raider PS4 outsold Tomb Raider Xbox One by 2:1
    -Xbox One has a 2.7 attach rate.
    -2.27 million games were sold on "Xbox" this month.

Hardware:

PS4: Almost double Xbox One.
    Xbox One: Estimated 143K (thanks Aquamarine)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I really never enjoyed the Infamous/Prototype/Crackdown type of open world game, I've tried to like them but to no avail.
    I don't know many people who like them either, though most people I know would prefer Super Ghouls'n Ghosts or Ibara to it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I can't wait for Infamous. Really enjoyed the other 2 games. At the time when I was getting the ps4 the only debate I was having was whether to get it at launch or wait for Infamous.

Would have liked to have tried out Crackdown as it sounds like a game I'd have a load of fun with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I really never enjoyed the Infamous/Prototype/Crackdown type of open world game, I've tried to like them but to no avail.
    I don't know many people who like them either, though most people I know would prefer Super Ghouls'n Ghosts or Ibara to it anyway.

infamous is the only one of its ilk i ever liked. Prototype and Crackdown were both cack for me. Inncredibly dull

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Rumoured March PS+ Games

PS4: Dead Nation
    PS3: Tomb Raider, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
    Vita: Smart As, Pixeljunk Monsters Ultimate HD

This would be considered one of the weaker months for PS+ yet there are some crackers in there (DN, TR, B:ATOTS and PJM)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Otacon wrote: »
    Rumoured March PS+ Games

PS4: Dead Nation
    PS3: Tomb Raider, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
    Vita: Smart As, Pixeljunk Monsters Ultimate HD

This would be considered one of the weaker months for PS+ yet there are some crackers in there (DN, TR, B:ATOTS and PJM)

Wow, I like the look of Brothers and Pixeljunk, excellent.
    I dearly hope it's a model the other console manufacturers emulate.
    Free Super Mario Bros 3 and Crimson Skies for all!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Brothers is great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

maximoose wrote: »
    Brothers is great.
    The developers deserve all the money they get on that game. Doesn't seem right for people to get to play it for free*.

*You know what I mean.

Yeah brothers is great. Also put off buying Tomb Raider hoping it would come on + so happy days if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Infamous made me forget the disappointment of Prototype.

I get why people don't like certain games, I just really feel Infamous games don't get enough credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Played Infamous when Sony gave it away for free after the PSN outage a few years ago. Was pleasantly surprised how good it was, definitely came in under the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It is not gonna be the new Skyrim or Witcher, but Bound by Flame is gonna be the first next gen RPG when it is released in April on the PS4, it is also gonna be on the PS3 and the 360, it seems like a mix between Kingdoms of Amalur and Fable judging by the video.

http://boundbyflame.com/#p1

Should be better than Fable (mind, that wouldn't be hard in my opinion) and will keep an eye on it. It reminds me of those hack n slash Baldur's Gate on consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Pushtrak wrote: »
    The developers deserve all the money they get on that game. Doesn't seem right for people to get to play it for free*.

*You know what I mean.

Not like they're not getting anything from this, see how many Plus subscribers are out there the Dev probably got a nice lump sum.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Should be better than Fable (mind, that wouldn't be hard in my opinion) and will keep an eye on it. It reminds me of those hack n slash Baldur's Gate on consoles.

I enjoyed the first Fable but later playing Morrowind and later Oblivion made me see how limited the series was, I tried to play Fable 2 but just found it, well, limited.
    That said, Skyrim is still sitting on the shelf, glowering at me for not playing past the introduction.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I enjoyed the first Fable but later playing Morrowind and later Oblivion made me see how limited the series was, I tried to play Fable 2 but just found it, well, limited.
    I both played Morrowind before Fable, and bought in to the media hype about the game. I recall all the buzz about a 'Morrowind beater'. I can't really recall any gaming burn like that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Xenji wrote: »
    It is not gonna be the new Skyrim or Witcher, but Bound by Flame is gonna be the first next gen RPG when it is released in April on the PS4, it is also gonna be on the PS3 and the 360, it seems like a mix between Kingdoms of Amalur and Fable judging by the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtB70ZGnGao

http://boundbyflame.com/#p1

Could only handle about 20 seconds of that trailer, what the hell were thinking getting a guy with a ridiculous voice to narrate it like that? Looks sh!te anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

MadYaker wrote: »
    Could only handle about 20 seconds of that trailer, what the hell were thinking getting a guy with a ridiculous voice to narrate it like that? Looks sh!te anyway.

look likes one of those bargin bin buys :)
    looks decent but definitely won't be buying it for full price
    if it drops too 20-30quid second hand I'll pick it up for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Played 3 hours of Titanfall on PC earlier. I posted my thoughts in the Titafall thread thus far.

Will give it more of a chance but so far I'm not hugely impressed. It's good but nothing new. Maybe it's because I'm bored of FPS games but I found this to be not even close to the leap forward required for me to warrant buying an Xbox One over a PS4.

Will give it more time and play all the modes but thus far, if Microsoft are banking on this game to be their Halo of Xbox One then they are looking likely to be doomed this gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A full 17 minute run through of the first mission in Thief, still iffy about the game after all the development problems and infighting it has endured, but it does look quite fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

So the overall reaction to Titanfall's beta has been extremely positive. For Xbox one and PC users we are seeing the huge benefit of using local Microsoft servers here in Ireland. 0 lag which is great.

Really enjoying the beta, the game is so much fun. The game is highlighting one of the huge benefits of Xbox One. Microsoft servers on Irish soil. It's 1 of the main reasons I went with XB1.

Microsoft offers their servers for free to game studios to utilise. This is very good for Irish gamers since we get very low pings. The future looks very good indeed. We'll have to see what comes of this years E3. Titanfall is the first game to utilise these servers. I have never played a FPS with 0 lag.

1 point to Microsoft :D

You seem an awful lot more positive than the Beta forums were when I looked at them before going to bed. A lot of people posting said the game was pretty average. I myself thought the same.

Having the server in Dublin is great for the Irish but what about the English (which I'm sure would have a lot more players). Where's the other European server? Sweden?

irishmover wrote: »
    You seem an awful lot more positive than the Beta forums were when I looked at them before going to bed. A lot of people posting said the game was pretty average. I myself thought the same.

Having the server in Dublin is great for the Irish but what about the English (which I'm sure would have a lot more players). Where's the other European server? Sweden?

The game is good and runs well but it's not as great as the hype.

Varik wrote: »

I kind of think he just really wants it to be an incredible game.

It is a bit of fun but I wouldn't be able to take the game too serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

So the overall reaction to Titanfall's beta has been extremely positive. For Xbox one and PC users we are seeing the huge benefit of using local Microsoft servers here in Ireland. 0 lag which is great.

Really enjoying the beta, the game is so much fun. The game is highlighting one of the huge benefits of Xbox One. Microsoft servers on Irish soil. It's 1 of the main reasons I went with XB1.

Microsoft offers their servers for free to game studios to utilise. This is very good for Irish gamers since we get very low pings. The future looks very good indeed. We'll have to see what comes of this years E3. Titanfall is the first game to utilise these servers. I have never played a FPS with 0 lag.

1 point to Microsoft :D

I had 0 lag yesterday...although that was because I couldn't find a server (I wasn't the only one). Its fun for sure, but I don't think it's differentiates itself enough to dominate the FPS market. It will take a share from other FPS's (primarily COD and BF4) although it has some balancing issues and the AI are just dumb. I could be the wrong person as I am beginning to grow weary of military shooters in general, however I suspect some cognitive dissonance is at play for some of the more über positive impressions.

The smart pistol can lock onto a whole group of bots and 1 hit kill each, not as useful vs players as you need 3 sets of 3 lock ons, it can be used to blind fire while jumping about which is a bit ****.

• Advertisement

Varik wrote: »
    In fairness, it had more hype than most games.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement