Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

P.S - Fair play to Sony for getting off to a great start with resolutions. If they had of secured Titanfall and had local dedicated hosting I would have made the PS4 my primary console purchase.

So you didnt buy a sony because it didnt have titanfall
    I wouldn't buy a console for 1 game. Its more about what it means. Great local dedicated servers and determination to secure the big deals for games like Titanfall. That is what persuaded me.

And you wouldnt buy a console for 1 game????

Seems a bit of a contradiction :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

That's what I thought he meant at first, but figured then that Titanfall tipped the balance, or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Grayditch wrote: »
    I bought the PS4 with the assumption the line up will be strong soon enough, based on the more recent output on PS3. I'm not so much a fan of Sony as I am the developers they pay to make exclusives.

This 100%.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Benzino wrote: »
    Aye, I learned that lesson with the original Xbox which I brought for Shenmue II. While Shenmue II was great, I did regret the decision.

Probably should have bought a Dreamcsst instead!
    And why regret the Xbox?
    There was a while host of great titles on it, from Amped to PGR, Halo to Panzer Dragoon Orta.
    I had a ball with that console.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Probably should have bought a Dreamcsst instead!
    And why regret the Xbox?
    There was a while host of great titles on it, from Amped to PGR, Halo to Panzer Dragoon Orta.
    I had a ball with that console.

My brother sold his Dreamcast (which I used to play the first one) before the second came out. It was a good console, but honestly it was left gathering dust as my PS2 game catalog grew and grew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Benzino wrote: »
    My brother sold his Dreamcast (which I used to play the first one) before the second came out. It was a good console, but honestly it was left gathering dust as my PS2 game catalog grew and grew.
    I got so much time out of Morrowind, it would have been a strong enough console with that... Though if you played it on PC then it isn't much of a point for the Xbox. Knights of the Old Republic and Jade Empire were great.

For fighters, put a lot of time in to Street fighter 3 Third Strike and Marvel VS Capcom 2. Shooters, the obligatory Halo and also Timesplitters 2. Had a lot of fun with some Burnout games too. Couldn't say which now. Was fun in the moment type thing.

Loved the original Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

cadete wrote: »
    So you didnt buy a sony because it didnt have titanfall

And you wouldnt buy a console for 1 game????

Seems a bit of a contradiction :confused:

Its not the game itself, its what it means. If Sony had of got Titanfall that would have tipped me over to PS4.

Respawn needed a serious amount of dedicated servers and could not afford them, so Microsoft gave them the infrastructure for free. If Titanfall was on Sony it would have meant that the game would come with very good online resources (Servers)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I think the current console battle is really pushing people towards PC's. The only reason I'm afraid to is because I like to play with a controller on the couch and I know I won't have a hope in online shooters if I do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Cienciano wrote: »
    I think the current console battle is really pushing people towards PC's. The only reason I'm afraid to is because I like to play with a controller on the couch and I know I won't have a hope in online shooters if I do that.

quite alot of pc shooters can use a controller :D

I did marginally better with a keyboard and mouse than I was expecting. Which is to say I was still atrocious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Just to give some balance here :)

This dog has Titanfall on his Xbox One console with dedicated servers hosted right here in Ireland. :)

Oh yeahhhh,

Good luck with your pixel counting :D

XBone.jpg

h3220EDB5

P.S - Fair play to Sony for getting off to a great start with resolutions. If they had of secured Titanfall and had local dedicated hosting I would have made the PS4 my primary console purchase.

It's a shame Microsoft are selective with their data centre's. Still no word about Australia or South Africa. Bit embarrassing for something they proclaim to be world wide in every region eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I wouldn't buy a console for 1 game. Its more about what it means. Great local dedicated servers and determination to secure the big deals for games like Titanfall. That is what persuaded me.

The bit in bold is honestly not a good reason have bought the Xbox One. In fact I would say the exact opposite. Surely it would be considered a worry that they had to purchase exclusivity instead of having something ready themselves.

It's good that you are happy with your purchase but that honestly isn't a reason to be.

irishmover wrote: »
    It's a shame Microsoft are selective with their data centre's. Still no word about Australia or South Africa. Bit embarrassing for something they proclaim to be world wide in every region eh?

your worried about a country on the other side of the world? let ms worry about that while we enjoy some titanfall here in Ireland :pac:

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    your worried about a country on the other side of the world? let ms worry about that while we enjoy some titanfall here in Ireland :pac:

*bangs head against desk*

I'm in Australia.

He isn't in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Whenever Sony start building the infrastructure for PlayStation Now maybe Ireland will be a possible location.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

PC gaming is so far ahead of these so called next gen consoles it's not even funny. Mods, cheaper games, steam sales, multiple controller support, stunning graphics, no online fees, loads of free games, bigger storage, upgradable parts and the satisfaction of building and upgrading your rig are some of the reasons to switch to a PC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The whole crowdfunding and indie game revolution on the platform is making it a real golden age for the PC platform. The fact that the new consoles are so low powered USA benefit now as well since even a modestly specced machine can totally outpace the consoles meaning it will be viable for a very long time.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The whole crowdfunding and indie game revolution on the platform is making it a real golden age for the PC platform. The fact that the new consoles are so low powered USA benefit now as well since even a modestly specced machine can totally outpace the consoles meaning it will be viable for a very long time.

I seen somewhere the other day showing specs and cost of a machine that would run Titanfall very well.

The PC cost $300 AUD :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

the satisfaction of building and upgrading your rig are some of the reasons to switch to a PC.
    Each to their own and all that. That's the sort of thing that would put me off tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Each to their own and all that. That's the sort of thing that would put me off tbh.

The way pcs are today putting together Lego is tougher. It's really not that hard. You can't really mess up, if it doesn't fit it's not meant to go there is the general rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Varik wrote: »
    Whenever Sony start building the infrastructure for PlayStation Now maybe Ireland will be a possible location.

They could always rent out or lease servers from Amazon like MS do or at least did. Amazon have buckets of extra server capacity in data hall centers in Ireland.

The way pcs are today putting together Lego is tougher. It's really not that hard. You can't really mess up, if it doesn't fit it's not meant to go there is the general rule.
    It's not the putting together part, it's the fact that I might have to get more parts to run certain games.

It's not the putting together part, it's the fact that I might have to get more parts to run certain games.

As I said even a moderately specced PC will run far better than the new consoles. If you spec your machine right the first time there's no need to make changes for a couple of years. As you can just turn down features on most games to get a decent frame rate.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    He isn't in Ireland.

very helpful post considering he can answer for himself which he did:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

quite alot of pc shooters can use a controller :D
    I know, but you'd be up against keyboard and mouse users. But tbh, I don't play fps much any more.
    PC gaming is so far ahead of these so called next gen consoles it's not even funny. Mods, cheaper games, steam sales, multiple controller support, stunning graphics, no online fees, loads of free games, bigger storage, upgradable parts and the satisfaction of building and upgrading your rig are some of the reasons to switch to a PC.

I know, I hate the pc argument because console owners know! Don't forget, brilliant browser, huge selection of add ons, brilliant media library, streaming anything from live football to ladyboy dwarves peeing on each other...
    But I've been a console gamer since the snes and tbh, the convenience of a console isn't good enough any more because the current new gen of consoles isn't a big enough jump and the games on both just aren't good enough at the moment.

My idea would to have the laptop for surfing the net, but having a pc stored in the TV cabinet purely for gaming and media.

Will I Amnt, I'm sort of in the same boat, I wouldn't consider it fun! But building is easy, sure boards has a forum where people will pretty much build your pc for you and you buy it built. Upgrading bits is very easy. And if you have a ps4 with ps+, you're definitely going to be upgrading that hard drive.
    You will have to spend more than the price of a new xbox though, but I'd be willing to do it if knowing that I wouldnt have any of the problems or limitations.

As I said even a moderately specced PC will run far better than the new consoles. If you spec your machine right the first time there's no need to make changes for a couple of years. As you can just turn down features on most games to get a decent frame rate.
    I prefer the ease of just going to GameStop and picking up a game that I know is optimized for the system I will be playing it on.
    I don't have to wonder if I can make it look slightly better if I bought a new graphics card or whatever.
    It just works out of the box as they say.
    I'm a casual gamer, that system best suits my needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

tok9 wrote: »
    The bit in bold is honestly not a good reason have bought the Xbox One. In fact I would say the exact opposite. Surely it would be considered a worry that they had to purchase exclusivity instead of having something ready themselves.

It's good that you are happy with your purchase but that honestly isn't a reason to be.

The bit in bold is important to me and I believe it to be a valid purchasing decision.

While its important Microsoft invest in their own game studios it is very important that they find new startup game studios like Respawn entertainment who have games with great potential and offer them support and resources (free servers and expertise) in exchange for deals like exclusivity.

I believe this strategy will benefit Xbox One gamers. I think this should co-exist along with investing in MS studios.

I prefer the ease of just going to GameStop and picking up a game that I know is optimized for the system I will be playing it on.
    I don't have to wonder if I can make it look slightly better if I bought a new graphics card or whatever.
    It just works out of the box as they say.
    I'm a casual gamer, that system best suits my needs.

Well you have a big misconception about PC gaming. That's how I buy games for my PC except I don't leave my house and get them online. I'm not going to convince you to go PC but what you think there about PC gaming is more like PC gaming in the 90s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

They could always rent out or lease servers from Amazon like MS do or at least did. Amazon have buckets of extra server capacity in data hall centers in Ireland.

Whatever about hosting PS4 game Now is Cell based, Sony will likely be hosting these themselves; 8 PS3s racks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement