Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Grayditch wrote: »
    I too am hoping for a competitive market for both, but I'm disappointed to see MS paying to keep games off the PS4 rather than pay for the development of new games from the ground up.

I think this is a good move from MS. Sure, they could have brought or hired a new studio to create a new franchise, but it'd be difficult for them to get a studio that you could rely on producing a good game. Respawn, while a new studio, is made of veterans of the FPS genre so you could be sure any game they produce was going to good and help generate hype for the XO. These deals are worthwhile in my opinion, it worked well in the past with Sony locking down the GTA series to the PS2 for a number of years.

It does mean that TitanFall may end up on the PS4 at some point, even if it is just the sequel, but at that stage very few people will probably care. Just like nobody was really bothered when GTA 3 made it's way onto the Xbox some 2-3 years after the PS2 version.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think MS really need to diversify their Microsoft game studios and get some new second and third parties. Sony have been great at this since the PS1 era, their japanese studios do some really experimental stuff while they have some reliable and often great second parties working for them. Microsofts output seems to focus on either Kinect games or stuff that just doesn't stand out from the crowd. Sony's output might not always be great but there's a good variety of triple AAA and experimental stuff, and I can't fault them for experimenting.

They've also got some really great tech teams developing new approaches to technology and sharing that tech with other sony studios and their hardware partners. MLAA came about as a repsonse to that awful quincunx anti aliasing that games had and Guerilla games might have been producing some awful ****e but they pioneered the use of deferred rendering engines to some games.

Microsoft I've found have been traditionally very weak in those areas. They kind of got lucky with the 360 since the PS3 was a disaster but the original XBox was not a great console at all, as someone with all the consoles and a PC at the time, there were very few exclusives on the machine and it was left gathering dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

sarumite wrote: »
    http://www.neowin.net/news/titanfall-developer-didnt-know-game-would-be-xbox-one-exclusive-forever

Quoted from Zampella

"Ea made a deal for the rest, we only found out recently =( "

I heard him say it before, I just don't buy it.

A game studio like Respawn Entertainment that secures their own IP for a new FPS franchise yet doesn't know about an exclusivity agreement with Microsoft.

When the exclusivity deal was announced with Microsoft Zampella started getting a lot of hate on Twitter. He then says "we knew nothing about it". It was a bit too convenient.

Zampella strikes me as a guy that wants to remain in complete control. I cant see him being left out of such an important part of Titanfall's marketing strategy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

No Titanfall you say?
    TOKYO, Feb. 18, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) today announced that the PlayStation®4 (PS4™) computer entertainment system has cumulatively sold through more than 5.3 million units*1 around the world as of February 8, 2014 (JST), and is continuing to demonstrate strong growth and momentum.

Should be over 6 million by the end of the month, madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I heard him say it before, I just don't buy it.

A game studio like Respawn Entertainment that secures their own IP for a new FPS franchise yet doesn't know about an exclusivity agreement with Microsoft.

When the exclusivity deal was announced with Microsoft Zampella started getting a lot of hate on Twitter. He then says "we knew nothing about it". It was a bit too convenient.

Zampella strikes me as a guy that wants to remain in complete control. I cant see him being left out of such an important part of Titanfall's marketing strategy.

I agree
    theirs no way he did not no anything about it :pac: just trying too get out of the hate spotlight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

He and everyone else knew there was an exclusivity deal but not that it was a lifetime exclusive.

I could definitely believe that. He has no reason to lie at all.

tok9 wrote: »
    He and everyone else knew there was an exclusivity deal but not that it was a lifetime exclusive.

I could definitely believe that. He has no reason to lie at all.

I just cant buy it. I am a big Zampella fan since the early days of Infinity ward and I just cant believe it. This is someone who was already burnt by a publisher and managed to firmly secure the IP for Respawn's new FPS franchise which means they could walk away from EA with the game after Titanfall 1 is over.

I don't even look at it as a possible lie, I look at it more as a political move to ensure Respawn can sell Titanfall 2 to PS4 owners after denying them the first game.

I don't even look at it as a possible lie, I look at it more as a political move to ensure Respawn can sell Titanfall 2 to PS4 owners after denying them the first game.

You think if he had said he knew about the deal and they released Titanfall 2 on PS4 that it wouldn't sell well due to his comments.. seriously?

It honestly seems like it's impossible to reason with you, the bit in bold is just pure blindness. It's either a lie or truth.. there really is no inbetween and I see no reason at all to lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Sony forecast 5m by the end of march and they're 300k above that now, by the 31st it will likely be over 1m more especially since the Japanese release is this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

calex71 wrote: »

And that is before it has released in Japan.

That figure could be over 10 million by the end of the year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

In other news the Order 1886 gameplay trailer leaked and looks yawn inducing. It looks like gears of war with Nintendo 64 era fog (ok that might be an exaggeration) and QTEs... sorry I mean 'branching melee'. It's also very brown:

Not my cup of Lyons tea at all.

tok9 wrote: »
    You think if he had said he knew about the deal and they released Titanfall 2 on PS4 that it wouldn't sell well due to his comments.. seriously?

It honestly seems like it's impossible to reason with you, the bit in bold is just pure blindness. It's either a lie or truth.. there really is no inbetween and I see no reason at all to lie.

Its simply my opinion. I see plenty of reason to give a white lie.

Zampella was getting a lot of hate on Twitter until he came out and said he knew nothing about it. Many Sony gamers active on Twitter were saying they would never buy a Respawn Studio game because of it and that they felt let down. Zampella came back first by saying Repawn would be making games for the PS4 and then when the heat continued he said he knew nothing about the deal and then magically the heat was off him.

Its in Respawn studios best interest to keep gamers of all platforms happy especially if they plan to release gamers such as Titanfall 2 and others to PS4 gamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

You need some serious skill to hit triangle to make the film play the next scene.

Given up on any hope for The Order being something I'd play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    In other news the Order 1886 gameplay trailer leaked and looks yawn inducing. It looks like gears of war with Nintendo 64 era fog (ok that might be an exaggeration) and QTEs... sorry I mean 'branching melee'. It's also very brown:

Not my cup of Lyons tea at all.

I've played worse games I'd say :pac:

Doesn't make me want a PS4 but I'd certainly give that a go. Has elements or maybe even just visual reminders of other games, like the costumes reminded me of the more recent Assassin's Creed titles.

Its simply my opinion. I see plenty of reason to give a white lie.

Zampella was getting a lot of hate on Twitter until he came out and said he knew nothing about it. Many Sony gamers active on Twitter were saying they would never buy a Respawn Studio game because of it and that they felt let down. Zampella came back first by saying Repawn would be making games for the PS4 and then when the heat continued he said he knew nothing about the deal and then magically the heat was off him.

Its in Respawn studios best interest to keep gamers of all platforms happy especially if they plan to release gamers such as Titanfall 2 and others to PS4 gamers.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree here as we both appear to be stubborn on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Grayditch wrote: »
    You need some serious skill to hit triangle to make the film play the next scene.

Given up on any hope for The Order being something I'd play.
    First video I saw off it, thought yes this is right up my street, the more news that comes out the more I get bored

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Buying the Xbox 360 was a far easier thing than buying the Xbox One. I really loved Morrowind, Knights of the Old Republic and Jade Empire. When the 360 was coming out, it looked like if I wanted to play the games Bethesda and BioWare were going to make, it was upgrade the PC or 360. The One and the PS4 are going to have exclusives as things progress, and I already know ones I'll have fun with on both, but right now, games I know for either system, nothing is really on that level for either system.. Again, that is known at this point.

This is exactly how I felt at the time, I loved the range of games on the Xbox, though it was extremely western dev centred.
    Didn't stop me from simultaneously owning a PS2 or a GC, and good thing too given the range of exclusive games on each.
    I'll tell you, it's the exclusives yet to come that will dazzle, it was never the Assassins Creed or Crysis 2 that made you have to buy a machine, it was the remade Resident Evil that made me import a Gamecube, it was Wipeout that made me have to own a PS, it was Halo that had me pick the Xbox and so on.

Titanfall though.
    I don't know.
    It seems that online shooters exist in a highly competitive space.
    With Cod there, along with Battlefield and Halo and Destiny oncoming, will Titanfall be able to compete?
    Is it a mistake to think it is going to create a new popular multiplayer space with no pedigree and nothing going for it outside of some nice visuals?
    The lag issues at present would normally spell certain death in this arena, pun intended.
    Perhaps, as Retr0gamer has said, when the finished code is out there we'll be able to better judge it's performance and it's future.
    Right now it seems like a sorry reason to choose the XB1 over its competitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    This is exactly how I felt at the time, I loved the range of games on the Xbox, though it was extremely western dev centred.
    Didn't stop me from simultaneously owning a PS2 or a GC, and good thing too given the range of exclusive games on each.
    I had a GC myself too. As for PS2, my brother had one and got access to it a lot. Obviously as getting older, I need to get the 3 myself as it isn't so easy to play games on something I don't myself own. So, last gen I got all 3 for myself though I was pretty slow with getting on the PS3.

I'm not really optimistic about how good the One will be when it comes to, say JRPGs. I'll be listening with interest to see if anything is coming to the One in that regard.
    Titanfall though.
    I don't know.
    It seems that online shooters exist in a highly competitive space.
    With Cod there, along with Battlefield and Halo and Destiny oncoming, will Titanfall be able to compete?
    I used to check out what games were in the top 10 and there was a lot of COD, Gears, Halo up there. If the new game in the series was annoying people, it caused a big surge in the older game.

For instance, Gears started being popular again after Gears 2 came out. Gears 3 got bigger when Judgment came out. A lot of the people on the One currently had the 360, and groups of people they played with a lot. People will see what other people are playing. It'll be interesting to see how things go with it. On the one hand, there'll be people wanting more and more map packs, but on the other, there'll be those complaining that it splits up the community. Map packs are sorta needed even if the maps are very well designed. People will get bored of the maps pretty quickly. And if it becomes as much of a quitter fest as I saw on PC, that's not good.

Is it a mistake to think it is going to create a new popular multiplayer space with no pedigree and nothing going for it outside of some nice visuals?
    The lag issues at present would normally spell certain death in this arena, pun intended.
    Perhaps, as Retr0gamer has said, when the finished code is out there we'll be able to better judge it's performance and it's future.
    Right now it seems like a sorry reason to choose the XB1 over its competitors.
    I don't know... I don't think its that black or white. I'll not be getting it, but it definitely is going to be a game that'll give a lot of people (they'll know who they are) at least a good few months out of it. It doesn't really need to do much more than that anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I really hate it when people refer to it as the one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

RasTa wrote: »
    I really hate it when people refer to it as the one.
    I'm not going to call it Xbone. Sounds dumb. What do you prefer? I don't see myself going with anything else, honestly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Nintendo 64 era fog (ok that might be an exaggeration)

While I'm not all that inspired by what I've seen, to be fair setting the game in a steampunk Victorian London without being lathered in fog and smog would probably be doing the setting something of an injustice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I'm not going to call it Xbone. Sounds dumb. What do you prefer? I don't see myself going with anything else, honestly.

It is a pretty dumb name imho. Maybe "the new Xbox" or the "X1"? Or just "Xbox", people will probably know which you're talking about as the Xbox 360 is largely referred to as the 360 and context should make it clear if you're talking about the original Xbox. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

I like the PS4 over the Xbox One because it is more fun as the games as enjoyable. Xbox One is also nice but not so much. Overall I don't play either all that much anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

They should of just called it Xbox 720 :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Or the 180 after all the 180s they had to do after launching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

The TitanCloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Or the 180 after all the 180s they had to do after launching it.

your very creative :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

Yeah they should've but they didn't

• Advertisement

...Reads last few posts *laughs, thinks *TitanFall

original.jpg?w=600&h

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement