Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Just out of curiosity, will the 720/900/1080 thing really be a big difference or is like the DVD/Blu Ray thing where due to my failing eyesight from a decade of chronic masturbation means I don't see much difference. Is the frame rate or the resolution more important? Is it better to have a game running 720p/60fps or 1080p/30fps?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Just out of curiosity, will the 720/900/1080 thing really be a big difference or is like the DVD/Blu Ray thing where due to my failing eyesight from a decade of chronic masturbation means I don't see much difference. Is the frame rate or the resolution more important? Is it better to have a game running 720p/60fps or 1080p/30fps?

You honestly don't see a difference between DVD and Blu Ray? What kind of tv you using?

But yes, 720p to 1080p I do notice a difference.

irishmover wrote: »
    You honestly don't see a difference between DVD and Blu Ray? What kind of tv you using?

A Sony Bravia with a Sony Blu-Ray player. Maybe the upscaling helps the DVD but I'll be honest, it makes very little difference to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

I can see the difference but its not huge tbh.

720p60 is better for gaming than 1080p30. everything is a lot smoother

A Sony Bravia with a Sony Blu-Ray player. Maybe the upscaling helps the DVD but I'll be honest, it makes very little difference to me.

The best comparison I can give you is to watch a documentary like 'How Earth made us' on DVD and then watch it on Blu Ray. Hit of effort I know but if you don't see a difference between the two then, I'd begin to get worried!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

The difference between DVD and BluRay is very significant, to me, anyway. I have great eyesight. ****e hearing, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I have **** hearing and ****e eyesight but watching Planet Earth on Blu Ray is an experience and a half!

console wise for me, all signs are pointing towards a PS4 purchase, I want a console built for gaming. But gawd I really want Titanfall :/ don't really wanna get it for PC because my laptop isn't exactly high spec and a good few of my mates who are currently playing the beta are all on the Xbone. Decisions decisions. Suppose I'll probably buy both eventually but at the moment don't have a need for either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Blu-Ray and DVD is indeed night and day, although some DVDs are brilliantly authored (Masters of Cinema stuff, for example) and some Blu-Rays haphazardly so. But yeah the clarity of a HD image is almost always preferable.

As for 720p, I'd definitely notice it. PS3 games with that resolution always look somewhat duller and washed out. Even a lower res upscaled to 1080p you'd notice a significant improvement over a raw 720p one - I do believe even the native 720p stuff is upscaled on Xbox One - although that's of course a compromise.

As for frame rate, obviously you want developers shooting as high as possible, and you'd easily notice the difference (as ever, rapidly panning the camera around is a pretty clear indicator). But 30FPS would be far, far less of a dealbreaker in certain types of games than others. Fast paced action games or shooters, for example, tend to feel noticeably more sluggish with the lower frame rate - just try something like MGS Rising to see how preferable 60 is for that speed of gameplay (even if it clearly compromises on texture detail to reach that FPS). However, with something slower paced 30 FPS might not be preferable, but it's more endurable. Some (very few) developers might even use it as an aesthetic choice, as is allegedly the case in The Order. So 60FPS or higher is almost always ideal, but in some cases it's more ideal than others ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

With pc moding community. Console rust will never ever live up to Pc version.

I dunno man. Rust in it's Alpha form on PC at the moment is pretty ****ing awesome without mods. I know we use Oxide but I'm sure they'll integrate that into the full game at some stage anyway.

I'd definitely buy it for console if it was similarly priced just to play with other friends that don't have PC. I'd switch between both PC and console getting thousands of hours out of a game that costs just under €20 :D

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    I dunno man. Rust in it's Alpha form on PC at the moment is pretty ****ing awesome without mods. I know we use Oxide but I'm sure they'll integrate that into the full game at some stage anyway.

I'd definitely buy it for console if it was similarly priced just to play with other friends that don't have PC. I'd switch between both PC and console getting thousands of hours out of a game that costs just under €20 :D

Who has a PC that can't run Rust??:eek:

• Advertisement

I have **** hearing and ****e eyesight but watching Planet Earth on Blu Ray is an experience and a half!

console wise for me, all signs are pointing towards a PS4 purchase, I want a console built for gaming. But gawd I really want Titanfall :/ don't really wanna get it for PC because my laptop isn't exactly high spec and a good few of my mates who are currently playing the beta are all on the Xbone. Decisions decisions. Suppose I'll probably buy both eventually but at the moment don't have a need for either.

Just noticed you've hit 666 posts. Devil post.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

With pc moding community. Console rust will never ever live up to Pc version.

couldn't agree more :)

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/8n0uaa/metal-gear-solid-v--ground-zeroes-console-quality-comparison

Not a huge difference between XBox One and PS4, but certainly a noticeable difference between last and current gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I would say you have a HD Ready TV and not a Full HD TV.

I would say you have a HD Ready TV and not a Full HD TV.

Probably. So in my scenario, is 1080 going to make a huge difference over 720

Edit: Actually, I looked it up and it is a full HD TV. It's a brand new Blu Ray Player so I must check out the reviews on it in terms of upscaling when I get home…

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Cut the fanboy crap out please. There's also no need to repost that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

He did say he was a chronic masturbator, so his eyes are pretty fecked......:P

Who has a PC that can't run Rust??:eek:

You'd be surprised. My i3 laptop can't run it properly. Can launch and run it alright in windowed mode at like 1024x600 or whatever and disable grass and what not but still feels sluggish and horrible to play. You'd need at least HD3000/4000 integrated graphics to be able to play it anyway decently.

I'll still play Rust on console and enjoy it. I won't wont look as good, run as well, or be have any wonderful mods, but I'll have people I know on consoles playing it. If I could wave a wand and move everyone I know onto PC, I'm sure we'd all be happier. Maybe I'll start the revolution amongst my circles. Just can't afford to right now!

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'll still play Rust on console and enjoy it. I won't wont look as good, run as well, or be have any wonderful mods, but I'll have people I know on consoles playing it. If I could wave a wand and move everyone I know onto PC, I'm sure we'd all be happier. Maybe I'll start the revolution amongst my circles. Just can't afford to right now!

I don't see why Rust wouldn't look as good on consoles especially Xbox One & PS4. It's not Crysis 3 or anything. Of course it would look as good on the consoles.

The mods tho, nope :/

• Advertisement

Well, my response could be used as a template for most multi-platform games, maybe not Rust. Good to know, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

Regarding the difference between 720/1080, the size of your TV might be relevant. As far as I know, until you start going bigger than 37 inches the difference isn't that pronounced.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Running rust on new consoles is not an issue at all. Shockingly enough it runs good enough on mediocre pc.
    In my opinion at some cases it looks jaw dropping too. There are some serious technology behind that game, but nothing that consoles could not do.

Problem will be with community and mod support. Right now mods are not as "drastic " in rust as let's say in minecraft, but Rust is not out as long as minecraft too. I totally agree that rust is still great even with no mods, but knowing what sort of **** is possible to pull out on pc moding - I expect Mcgyver type self made helicopter and 4x4 anytime soon :pac:

I am glad it is coming to console too, more money to Dev, the better. Rust creators deserve every cent for it.

I have a 2009 Macbook, I'm gonna see what it can run. Rust is cross compatible, I'll see if there's a demo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Where did people hear Rust was coming to console? Garry said they received X1 dev kits, but never said it was to work on rust. I thought it was a new game tehy were making for consoles.

Here is a full list of upcoming games and their resolutions, since this thread is Xbox One vs. PS4:

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/02/17/resolutions-and-fps-on-ps4-and-xbox-one-confirmed-and-rumored-ps4-has-two-sub-1080p-games/

ResolutionList3.png

^ thats not "fanboyisn" but pure facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Well this is how a Japanese store is explaining to it customers the power of the PS4.

BgzX4KgCYAA9hfA-646x425.jpg
    Looks like Japanese video game store owners are getting creative in explaining the power of the PS4 to their customers. One decided to resort to one of Japan’s most beloved anime and manga series: Dragonball.
    In the picture at the bottom of this post you can see the peculiar billboard placed on the shop’s counter, as shared by Twitter user Kurage.
    Here’s a translation of what the sign says:

PS4: just how powerful is it?
    If you compare the PS3 to Freeza’s first form (battle power 530,000)
    PS4 is a monster machine like the fourth form of Freeza (battle power 60 million).
    [8GB Memory] -> 16 times the PS3. Power: Can use the Death Beam 16 times at the same time.
    [8 Cores] -> 8 Times the PS3. Number of programs that can be executed: The Ginyu Force is now 40 people.
    [Memory GDDR5] -> 7 Times the PS3. Processing Speed: Will move seven time quicker.

While not all the data is technically 100% correct, it’s definitely a hilarious way to let your customers know that the console they’re about to purchase is quite the beast.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/02/19/ps4s-power-explained-with-dragonball-z-by-japanese-store-like-freezas-final-form/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Thought this was interesting
    VG Leaks has posted documents that appear to have come from Microsoft’s XBLA submission process. The game was initially called Echoes of Siren and was pitched as an Xbox 360, Windows 8 and Windows Phone 7 release. Tequila Works stated that it needed $3 million in partial funding to bring the game to Xbox Live alone, then a further $40,000 for Windows 8.

The game was listed on the document as ‘fully exclusive’ on Xbox formats, and at the time only needed 24 more months before completion. In its pitching form; Tequila Works describes Rime as a, third-person isometric RPG with a “great deal of exploration, crafting, survival and hero defence.” The studio also compared it to Orcs Must Die!

The elevator pitch reads, “Gauntlet meets Minecraft meets Jason and the Argonauts,” and continues, “As the darkest legends go, there is a far-off island where evil spirits inhabit and they are able to terrify the most determined and brave heart. It is now as Ecos; the damned island.

“Not always it was this. At another time a great civilization was developed in it. Their inhabitants bloomed until becoming a lighthouse in the dark. History became legend. Legend became myth. Many looked for the island and its secrets. Now, their bones and empty fortresses remain as a reminder of their imprudence.”

5a-600x638.jpg
    [...]Then the Xbox One plans were announced and everything changed. The people at Microsoft say that the game doesn't fit in the strategy of the new console, that they are looking for "connected experiences" and the social factor. Rime didn't fit because it was a single-player game, a very traditional game experience. [...]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I have been looking forward to Rime since I first saw its trailer, I suppose what is Microsofts loss is Sonys gain, the game looks fantastic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement