Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Correct rated trip switch for heating system?

• 03-11-2013 11:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

What is the correct rated trip switch for a central heating system... (external firebird heatpac and pump)

There is already a double isolated 5 amp fuse next to the timer in the utility room but am wondering what the correct trip switch rating is?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

5 amp for oil
    3 amp for gas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

shane0007 wrote: »
    5 amp for oil
    3 amp for gas

So it should be 5 amp trip switch as well as 5 amp fused isolator next to timer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Double pole switched fused spur with 5 amp fuse fitted to protect the heating circuit. This will most likely be fed by a socket circuit or the like.

Thanks for that, the reason i ask is it seems to be the trip switch for our upstairs lighting circuit is also suppling power to the heating circuit.

There is a spare space available for another trip switch to the left of this lighting circuit trip switch and i cant understand why they originally didnt put the heating circuit on its own trip switch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Access wrote: »
    Thanks for that, the reason i ask is it seems to be the trip switch for our upstairs lighting circuit is also suppling power to the heating circuit.

There is a spare space available for another trip switch to the left of this lighting circuit trip switch and i cant understand why they originally didnt put the heating circuit on its own trip switch.

Oil boiler is protected by 5 amp fuse switch which is then protcted by a larger trip switch that is also supplying sockets 25 amp or lights 10amp.
    It should never be connected to larger trips like shower etc..
    If off light trip then eirths connection should be checked as most older light circuits didn't have an eirths wire.

ps. It is now illegal for an unqualified person to open fuse board.

• Advertisement

scudo2 wrote: »
    Oil boiler is protected by 5 amp fuse switch which is then protcted by a larger trip switch that is also supplying sockets 25 amp or lights 10amp.
    It should never be connected to larger trips like shower etc..
    If off light trip then eirths connection should be checked as most older light circuits didn't have an eirths wire.

ps. It is now illegal for an unqualified person to open fuse board.

Is that just the electrician at the time being lazy not wanting to get a separate trip switch for the heating circuit?

Surely there the heating circuit should be on it own trip switch and not sharing a lighting circuit trip switch or am i wrong in thinking this?

Advertisement