Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAI Cup Final

• 04-11-2013 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Did anyone else watch it?

Was great to see 2 good Irish sides play on a proper sized pitch for a change...no cluttered midfields or crap surfaces. The large pitch made it possible for an expansive game. Was a really exciting match.

Back to the small, cluttered pitches for the league next season with all the head tennis and hoofed clearances...wish all the LofI pitches were as big as Lansdowne's it would definatly make for better quality soccer/matches as the teams could actually get the ball down and play.

Just my opinion.

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,064 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yet another great FAI Cup final, but again a poor crowd.

If only Irish people could see past the hype of the EPL and see that there is decent football on their doorstep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

About 4 players per team would come off with hamstring injuries though.;)

In ideal world it would be better but most clubs would have to take dismantle there grounds to accommodate for bigger surface.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

Was great to see 2 good Irish sides play on a proper sized pitch for a change...no cluttered midfields or crap surfaces. The large pitch made it possible for an expansive game. Was a really exciting match.

Back to the small, cluttered pitches for the league next season with all the head tennis and hoofed clearances...wish all the LofI pitches were as big as Lansdowne's it would definatly make for better quality soccer/matches as the teams could actually get the ball down and play.

Just my opinion.

I think you'll find the pitch dimensions are fairly close for most of the pitches LOI & aviva

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Watch it?

I was there.

CHAM-P-ONIES,
    CHAM-P-ONIES,
    OLE OLE OLE!!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Andrew Flexing

micks wrote: »
    I think you'll find the pitch dimensions are fairly close for most of the pitches LOI & aviva

Damien Richardson described the Aviva's pitch as "huge". You are not suggesting that Tokla Pk and Aviva's pitches are the same size!?!
    I know there are upper and lower limits but the pitch did look a good bit bigger allowing a much better match.

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Damien Richardson described the Aviva's pitch as "huge". You are not suggesting that Tokla Pk and Aviva's pitches are the same size!?!
    I know there are upper and lower limits but the pitch did look a good bit bigger allowing a much better match.

Tolka probably has the smallest pitch in the league, no one is comparing them. Dundalk, Bohs and Limerick all have large pitches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Just my opinion.

Plenty of pitches in the League of Ireland are the same size as the AVIVA. The quality of surface is better in the Showgrounds, Tallaght Stadium and Waterford RSC than the AVIVA. The AVIVA pitch was quite poor yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

dan1895 wrote: »
    Tolka probably has the smallest pitch in the league, no one is comparing them. Dundalk, Bohs and Limerick all have large pitches.
    Think Oriel Park pitch is actually a little bit bigger than Aviva's.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Wiki (I know) says Dalymount is 125 x 75 yards (114.3 x 68.58 meters), compared to the Aviva's 106 x 68 meters.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

I agree that Aviva's surace wasn't at it best.
    Is it the camera angles then? I am really surprised at the Dalymount dimensions...but they seemed to have a lot more space out there yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

NIMAN wrote: »
    Yet another great FAI Cup final, but again a poor crowd.

If only Irish people could see past the hype of the EPL and see that there is decent football on their doorstep.

I urge you to edit this part, as the crowd that did attend were great. The atmosphere was electric and was better than some epl games ive been to.

I agree that Aviva's surace wasn't at it best.
    Is it the camera angles then? I am really surprised at the Dalymount dimensions...but they seemed to have a lot more space out there yesterday.

I reckon it may be the camera angle as most would be lower at league grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭DaveyCakes

Just my opinion.

Plenty of teams do get the ball down and play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The match was enthralling, great contest. But the relatively lower levels of technical ability and decision making were on show throughout if people are honest (which most on here won't be). Lots of man over situations were squandered without a shot on goal being achieved due to a player taking an extra touch or picking the wrong option.

I think 18k was a fine attendence. Multiples of the average LOI gate don't forget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I think 18k was a fine attendence. Multiples of the average LOI gate don't forget.
    Attendance was disappointing given the false dawn of the 2010 cup final when 36000 people showed up. That was the first cup final played at the Aviva which probably accounts for the big crowd but since then the attendances have been around the 20000 mark which is disappointing considering it's probably the biggest game in our domestic calender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

I went to the game yesterday with some of my friends who are from Sligo, despite the relatively low attendance I thought it was a very enjoyable game, the first 75 minutes were slow but when it got going the atmosphere was great, better than most games I've been to at the Aviva, I definitely think I'll be going to more LOI/FAI Cup games in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

I never mentioned Tolka - I said most - not all - most, some are bigger , some are smaller
    So you wont believe then that Tolka is the same width as the aviva pitch?

Tolka is approx 100m x 68m

The preferred size for a football pitch is 106m x 68m most in the LOI conform with this
    Throw a pitch in a big stadium with a big run off and people think its huge

I was quoting Damien Richardson with the "huge" comment.
    micks wrote: »
    I never mentioned Tolka - I said most - not all - most, some are bigger , some are smaller
    So you wont believe then that Tolka is the same width as the aviva pitch?

Tolka is approx 100m x 68m

The preferred size for a football pitch is 106m x 68m most in the LOI conform with this
    Throw a pitch in a big stadium with a big run off and people think its huge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Just my opinion.

Not that much of a difference in pitch size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Here comes the old facilities debate me thinks. Irish people do not like poor facilities. Especially Irish EPL/TV fans.

For what its worth, I thought 18000 was a decent enough figure also. Its not like either Drogs or Sligo have 9000 each through the gates every week (nor anyone else for that matter).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

You have to remember that both clubs came from counties with quite small populations. In that instance the attendance was very good. At the end of the season I bet the FAI Cup Final attendance will compare quite favorably with most cup finals around Europes 50 or so members.

You have to remember that both clubs came from counties with quite small populations. In that instance the attendance was very good. At the end of the season I bet the FAI Cup Final attendance will compare quite favouable with most cup finals around Europes 50 or so members.

Would be interesting to see alright.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

You have to remember that both clubs came from counties with quite small populations. In that instance the attendance was very good. At the end of the season I bet the FAI Cup Final attendance will compare quite favorably with most cup finals around Europes 50 or so members.

Drogheda is the 2nd biggest town in Ireland and Sligo is a pretty large town in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

dan1895 wrote: »
    Would be interesting to see alright.

Not sure of the veracity of these figures (the first few, and Ireland, seem to be right), but this was posted on Foot.ie:
     1 England 86,254 
     2 Spain 85,000 
     3 France 77,000 
     4 Germany 75,420 
     5 Italy 70,000 
     6 Poland 64,416 (2 Legs)
     7 Scotland 51,254 
     8 Netherlands 50,000 
     9 Belgium 43,000 
     10 Ukraine 40,003 
     11 Portugal 36,850 
     12 Croatia 32,000 (2 Legs)  
     13 Romania 29,343 
     14 Greece 28,980 
     15 Russia 28,000 
     16 Switzerland 27,290 
     17 Denmark 26,194 
     18 Norway 24,217 (2012)  
     19 Sweden 21,819 
     20 Azerbaijan 20,000 
     21 Turkey 18,250 
     [SIZE="5"][B]22 Ireland 17,753 [/B][/SIZE]
     23 Austria 16,500 
     24 Serbia 15,000 
     25 Cyprus 13,000 
     26 Kazakhstan 11,500 (2012) 
     27 Northern Ireland 9,825 
     28 Albania 9,000 
     29 Israel 8,621 
     30 Bosnia and Herzegovina 7,800 (2 Legs) 
     31 Bulgaria 7,800 
     32 Slovakia 6,569 
     33 Belarus 6,000 
     34 Hungary 5,000 
     35 Iceland 4,318 
     36 Malta 4,276 
     37 Finland 4,032 
     38 Moldova 4,000 
     39 Montenegro 4,000 
     40 Estonia 3,521 
     41 Czech Republic 3,000 
     42 Georgia 3,000 
     43 Faroe Islands 2,884 
     44 Armenia 2,500 
     45 Lithuania 2,500 
     46 Luxembourg 2,353 
     47 Wales 1,732 
     48 Slovenia 1,500 
     49 Liechtenstein 1,300 
     50 Latvia 1,100 
     51 Andorra 500 
     52 San Marino 500 
     53 Macedonia 0*

*The original match was abandoned due to crowd trouble. The rematch was 
    played behind closed doors. Not sure what kind of crowd was at the original.
    The previous cup final seems to have had 500 - 1,000 at it.

Compared to other Cup Finals, 22nd out of 53 is a very good attendance. I doubt we'd be that good for average league attendances. In the UEFA co-efficient rankings, we're 43rd (having dropped 14 places in the last few years).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭overshoot

yep, of you took all of sligo or half of louth you would fill the aviva with not much to spare, so not bad getting 1/5 or 6 to attend.
    it would be nice though to see more make a day of it though. went to the amlin/heinekin finals last year and there were plenty of munster/ulster/connacht/further away jerseys around to enjoy the days

would be great seeing all the LOI jerseys about, well any jerseys, celtic epl etc just to make the occasion. didnt really see any outside of the clubs involved. the ladies supports all headed out after too you could see the gap between the sligo & drogs fans, shame they made good noise too for the amount of them!

sort of another thing tho to get into the habit when your a neutral, got used to it in college, was the only way to get a fix!

Advertisement