Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crèche refusal to return deposit

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

AltAccount wrote: »
    As a customer, you've wasted their time, IMHO.

From original post "I am looking for some sound advice on the issue of a crèche refusing to return a paid deposit after deciding to choose for alternative childminding facilities."

Thanks for your "IMHO" though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

I think your judgement on us is a bit harsh and rude.

They did accept our change of dates. They also have 6 weeks cancelation policy in there T&C. Which is obviously to make customers feel comfortable about putting a deposit down.
    It's not as if we set out to do this.

It has nothing to do with making customers feel comfortable, it is there to protect the business. It is there to prevent customers leaving them high and dry by cancelling with poor notice. They reserved a place for your child, and assuming they had been fully booked, they turned away business from other potential customers on the basis that your child would be sent there.

I can relate to this from the creche's perspective, as I have a lot of experience working in a B&B and having deal with customers trying to cancel with little or no notice. From the perspective of the business, you have wasted their time I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I don't see how the OP has wasted anyones time here. The only grey area I see is that the contract stated deposit refund, and not full deposit refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

It has nothing to do with making customers feel comfortable, it is there to protect the business. It is there to prevent customers leaving them high and dry by cancelling with poor notice. They reserved a place for your child, and assuming they had been fully booked, they turned away business from other potential customers on the basis that your child would be sent there.

I can relate to this from the creche's perspective, as I have a lot of experience working in a B&B and having deal with customers trying to cancel with little or no notice. From the perspective of the business, you have wasted their time I'm afraid.

Of course it's there to make the customer feel more comfortable putting down a deposit. It's an inducement hence why the business has to stand over it and not try and wiggle of of the contract they wrote!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

Bepolite wrote: »
    Of course it's there to make the customer feel more comfortable putting down a deposit. It's an inducement hence why the business has to stand over it and not try and wiggle of of the contract they wrote!

It's not there to make customers feel comfortable, that's just an utterly ridiculous way of looking at it. If they wanted to make the customer feel comfortable they would make it two weeks or one week or a few days, 6 weeks is pretty aggressive in terms of "comfort". A lot of unforseen things can happen in 6 weeks, it doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room for the customer at all, doesn't sound very comfortable...

The only reason it is there, is to protect the business. It is there to deter the customer from cancelling without giving reasonable notice. It means the business gets compensated in the event of a customer not cancelling in time. Nothing to do with "comforting" the customer:pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement