Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red kite v Buzzard

• 04-11-2013 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi all

I was wondering as Red Kites and Buzzards take essentially the same prey, how do they avoid competition in areas where they overlap?

Cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Where both exist in the UK there are sometimes lower densities but both nest in many areas. Buzzards are more generalist feeders that Red Kites and take a wider range of prey. Nature is well adapted to this type of competition.

If only it were an issue here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,748 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Where both exist in the UK there are sometimes lower densities but both nest in many areas. Buzzards are more generalist feeders that Red Kites and take a wider range of prey. Nature is well adapted to this type of competition.

Very true - kites are a much more delicate bird(despite been bigger) than buzzards and depend much more on scavenging. They are the closest thing we have to vultures(who are themselves the largest raptors on the planet despite rarely catching their own prey).

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Saurophaganax

I see lots of both in Wicklow. Buzzards are usually beside main roads while Red Kites seem to prefer more rural, forested areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

I see lots of both in Wicklow. Buzzards are usually beside main roads while Red Kites seem to prefer more rural, forested areas.

spotted the nicest biggest kite I've ever seen on Sunday.
    Rural area on the road from the Beehive towards Rathdrum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

spotted the nicest biggest kite I've ever seen on Sunday.
    Rural area on the road from the Beehive towards Rathdrum.

Seen her a good bit.
    She is a big un alri. But they are still small birds. Just have huge wings.

• Advertisement

Seen her a good bit.
    She is a big un alri. But they are still small birds. Just have huge wings.

In fairness, the Red Kite is longer, wider and heaver than a buzzard . Hardly a small bird - particularly by Irish standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

In fairness, the Red Kite is longer, wider and heaver than a buzzard . Hardly a small bird - particularly by Irish standards.

Body wise they are quite small. Most if the weight is in them massive wings. But yes they can be heavier than our buzzards but not by much. I'd put both near same weight but kite maybe getting the edge

Having handled both , I can tell you the Red Kite body length is greater than that of the Buzzard.

Male Red Kites are up to 50% heavier than male Buzzards; the female about 30%. This difference is not accounted for solely by the wings.

Discounting the tail, Red Kites are between 10 and 15cm longer.

However, when it comes to raptors, size is ultimately referenced by wingspan and in this criteria the Red Kite is bigger.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,841 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

saw a kite and a buzzard sharing the same airspace earlier; we only saw them for about 30s but there didn't seem to be any aggro between them. it was in north county dublin - would many kites be found in the area now? it's the first definite sighting i've seen of one in that area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Bsal

The Red kites that were released in north county Dublin are quite dispersed now and hard to find, but they are occasionally spotted around Lusk, Rogerstown, Ballyboughal etc. Buzzards on the other hand are a lot more frequent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,841 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cheers - saw them as we were leaving thornton park equestrian centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭stevensi

I had 2 red kites over the grand canal in Lucan today. I've seen them in North Dublin but this is the furthest south I've seen them since they were reintroduced in the county.

Advertisement