Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can't decide between Air and Mini 2

• 04-11-2013 11:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭

I just can't! lol

I never owned either but my father does have the Mini. I am just looking for a device to have beside the bed for those lazy Sunday mornings. Well may be I will find more use for it once I have it. I like the look of the Air and the fact that it is lighter etc. Whereas I am hearing the Mini 2 is heavier and bigger than the first incarnation?

Also, is the Air merely bigger Mini? Oh wait, that was a stupid question...

Any advice? :)

EDIT: Actually if rumours are to be believed (and I am a sucker for an aul rumour or two) there may be quite a limited supply of Mini 2's.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The Retina Mini is slightly heavier and a tinsy tiny bit wider than the first gen Mini. Nothing worth talking about.

As for Air vs Mini, it depends on your usage. If it's never going to leave the house then I think the Air is the better choice. The larger screen is good for games and makes typing easier. But if you are going to be carrying it around a lot, say for reading eBooks on the commute, etc, then you should consider the Mini with cellular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

For reading websites and magazines, the Air wins for me. If you were taking it everywhere and wanted something to out in your pocket, the Mini would be best but for your usage it sounds like an Air would be best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

I probably won't be bringing out of the house. Although, I am saying that now.

I'm just thinking the full size might be big and awkward in the hand while lying in bed. (don't go there, too easy).

How is the Air for Youtube and the RTE Player etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Had 3 days with the air, and love it.

Been on couch, public transport, bed etc and I think the size is just right and it's very light.

Personally don't see the advantage in the mini as the Air is not too big, but that extra screen makes videos look really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

The air hands down.
    Perfect for bed watching.Its so light,it will rest against a crumpled blanket or is easy for hand holding in bed (which is all you should be doing there anyway ;))
    The keyboard is the best tablet one I've had.So good,I'm settling for a Smart Cover rather than a USB keyboard cover.

• Advertisement

whitebriar wrote: »
    Perfect for bed watching

well I don't plan on watching beds on it. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

How are you going to use it?

Have a look at the Nexus 7 as well, it's more portable than the ipads and has a better screen aspect ratio for watching video. My company ipad was due an upgrade last week and I had the choice of the Air, mini retina or nexus 7. Ended up going with the Nexus 7, it's smaller and lighter than the ipads, easier to hold in one hand and even fits in the pocket of my pants. I really only use it for watching a movie when travelling, everything else I do on my phone or kindle.

jester77 wrote: »
    How are you going to use it?

Have a look at the Nexus 7 as well, it's more portable than the ipads and has a better screen aspect ratio for watching video. My company ipad was due an upgrade last week and I had the choice of the Air, mini retina or nexus 7. Ended up going with the Nexus 7, it's smaller and lighter than the ipads, easier to hold in one hand and even fits in the pocket of my pants. I really only use it for watching a movie when travelling, everything else I do on my phone or kindle.

Well like I said, just some lazy social media, youtube and general crap while in bed may be beside me at my desk in work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

py2006 wrote: »
    Well like I said, just some lazy social media, youtube and general crap while in bed may be beside me at my desk in work.

In that case I would go with the bigger screen, sounds like the air would suit you better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Air for sure. The bigger screen is more than worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

I was same as you, first time ipad owner, up until air was released I was dead set on a mini but after using both in store I went with air! And delighted with it!

Yea I am leaning towards the Air now. I may pop into PC World after work to have feel of it.

I am just thinking if I was to bring it to a cafe or bar that has wifi is it too big for that? As in can people all around see what you are looking at? Not that I would be looking at anything I shouldn't be.

Yea I am leaning towards the Air now. I may pop into PC World after work to have feel of it.

I am just thinking if I was to bring it to a cafe or bar that has wifi is it too big for that? As in can people all around see what you are looking at? Not that I would be looking at anything I shouldn't be.

Really what are you worried about?

Unless you are going around the bar taking photos then non one will look at your screen.

It's smaller than your average magazine, light and very portable.

Stop over thinking it and just get it!

murpho999 wrote: »
    Really what are you worried about?

Unless you are going around the bar taking photos then non one will look at your screen.

It's smaller than your average magazine, light and very portable.

Stop over thinking it and just get it!

Hah, I'm in PC world now giving it a good grope.

Hah, I'm in PC world now giving it a good grope.

Seem to only have 16gb models in which is fine but I'm suddenly scared of handing over 500 smackeroonies

Seem to only have 16gb models in which is fine but I'm suddenly scared of handing over 500 smackeroonies

You can do it!

I think you'll have given in and your next post here is from a shiny iPad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

I have been waiting for retina to buy a Mini for ages.. When air was announced in keynote I was thinking maybe with the smaller form factor and lighter it might be a better option but after holding it, I decided against it. The mini is perfect size and weight for me and since the specs are the same but with more ppi on the mini!, I can get 32GB mini instead of 16gb air which makes it great value.

Chickened out!

Although I may go back tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

DrMorphine wrote: »
    I have been waiting for retina to buy a Mini for ages.. When air was announced in keynote I was thinking maybe with the smaller form factor and lighter it might be a better option but after holding it, I decided against it. The mini is perfect size and weight for me and since the specs are the same but with more ppi on the mini!, I can get 32GB mini instead of 16gb air which makes it great value.

Have you held the air in store without it being attached to the counter by a cable? The pull cable in the likes of PC World make it feel heavier.
    I couldn't believe how light the air felt when I got home compared to picking it up in store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

adox wrote: »
    Have you held the air in store without it being attached to the counter by a cable? The pull cable in the likes of PC World make it feel heavier.
    I couldn't believe how light the air felt when I got home compared to picking it up in store.

I didn't actually.. ugh! I will just wait and see what people think of the mini retina before I make a final decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

adox wrote: »

Did you get a voucher for 50'euros? If it ws a 16gb of course. If 32gb then definitely 50 euros the norm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

I'm trying to decide too,

I would go for the air, but I only recently got a 2013 macbook air, ..is there really a need for a tablet a few inches smaller?

Whereas the mini retina could be my go to device, lighter with a better screen. Given that they're the same spec, it makes sense for me to go for the mini instead, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

iPad mini retina, if you are carrying it with your macbook air there's no need for the iPad air.

I'm glad I held out on the mini last year, mini retina going to be amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

I'm trying to decide too,

I would go for the air, but I only recently got a 2013 macbook air, ..is there really a need for a tablet a few inches smaller?

Whereas the mini retina could be my go to device, lighter with a better screen. Given that they're the same spec, it makes sense for me to go for the mini instead, right?

I bought an Air at the weekend. Highly recommend it over the iPad Mini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

This post has been deleted.

They've essentially taken all the bulk away from the full size iPad so I'd see no reason to buy a mini other than cost anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

I'm going to replace my iPad 3 with an Air. I had my heart set on a mini, but the fact it got heavier and thicker (marginally) reminds me of what happened with the iPad 3. Retina display, heavier and thicker. Replaced by the 'new' iPad 6 months later. Given the rate at which Apple are now making iPads obsolete, I can't but assume the same fate awaits the Retina mini.

ArthurG wrote: »
    I'm going to replace my iPad 3 with an Air. I had my heart set on a mini, but the fact it got heavier and thicker (marginally) reminds me of what happened with the iPad 3. Retina display, heavier and thicker. Replaced by the 'new' iPad 6 months later. Given the rate at which Apple are now making iPads obsolete, I can't but assume the same fate awaits the Retina mini.

Apple's history with the retina display always starts off a bit shaky. On the MacBook Pro the first retina display device was underpowered and a bit sluggish. The same happened with the iPad 3.

The same might happen with the new mini but because the internals are largely similar to the iPad Air it should be ok. I doubt they'll come out with a new one a few months later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Zcott wrote: »
    Apple's history with the retina display always starts off a bit shaky. On the MacBook Pro the first retina display device was underpowered and a bit sluggish.

Citation needed. I have a rMBP and I have never seen what you describe.
    The same happened with the iPad 3.

Again citation needed. There is no difference in the retina of iPad3 vs iPad4.

Advertisement