Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Galway - Schools/Childcare/Buses etc

Options
  • 04-11-2013 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I'm looking for help from Galway people or people living in Galway!!!! I have just found out I need to move to Galway within the next few weeks. I have a 9 year old daghter (4th class) and we're moving alone. I will be working full-time in the city centre.

I hate uprooting her as she's very settled in her school here in Sligo, she does well and she has many wonderful friends in the nice family-friendly-estate we live in, and I'm also friends with their parents, but we must go, due to a promotion I got at work.

I will need to find a school, somewhere to live and after-school childcare for my daughter (ideally I would have a reliable childcare provider who would take my daughter to school in the mornings and collect her from school also as I'm working in the city centre and will need to get on the road early. Childcare person would also need to be available during school holidays)

I know there might be hassle trying to get her into whatever school/area we choose but just any general advice. The areas I'm THINKING of living in are Knocknacarra (familiar with the area and like it) and Oranmore (familiar with the area and cheaper rents). Anyone know much about St. John the Apostle in Knocknacarra or Scoil Mhuire in Oranmore (are the schools ok?! What are their opening/closing times like, do they have a uniform?)
    • Does anyone know if there are childcare providers in the Knocknacarra or Oranmore areas that take a child before AND after school and take care of drop-off/pick-up from school?
    • Does anyone know if there are any particular primary schools that have a good name in general?
    • Are the morning and evening bus services from Knockncarra and/or Oranmore into city centre any good or much quicker than driving?!
    • Does anyone have any tips on nice family-friendly estates around Knockncarra or Oranmore that wouldn't break the bank rent-wise??? It's possible we'll rent a two-bed apartment to start....it would be lovely if it was a place with other families rather than all professionals/students.....any tips/advice?
    I'll probably decide where to look for accomodation based on the school rather than the other way around and need to do everything very quickly (within a fortnight) so I'm panicking.

Any advice would be massively appreciated :) Thanks so much for reading! I've so much to think of and really don't know where to start.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

In general, catching the bus is quicker and a lot less stressful than (driving+parking) but not necessarily than driving alone. IMHO.

Bus services from Oranmore are currently limited - one city bus per hour, supplemented by the various Dublin etc buses that also stop there. And they stop in one place only (by the SuperValu, not the middle of the village).

However a local private bus company is currently in negotiations with the NTA to operate a new service in the area, so this all may improve soon.

Check the Oranmore Neighbourhood Map and Knocknacarra Neighbourhood Map for info about al the bus companies etc operating in the areas.

School places in Knocknacarra are still quite tight, I believe: Educate Together has been granted patronage of a new national school to open in Sept 2014 ... which must mean there are lots of kids been educated out of the area. That said, you may be lucky with a place in one of the existing schools there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Beejeez

Thank you so much Mrs. OBumble. The Knoacknacarra buses seem very frequent - especially if I tried to get accomodation along the Western Distributor Road. Also, myself and my daughter lived on the Cappagh Road for a few years when she was a little baby so would be like returning home in a sense........so many quick decisions to make, but important ones....feeling confused!

You might also consider the city or city-fringe primary schools that have after school care on site. There can be some disadvantages to this (kids friends come from all over town), but it's an option if there are no places in the area you live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Ath trasna

It might be worth looking at Athenry as an option also, bus and train service to City centre, rent might be a little cheaper and options also there for afterschool care.

You might find some info here, http://www.athenry.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Consider getting an Au Pair? I hired one last summer and it was a great experience. Of course, you will have to have a bedroom for the Au Pair and provide for her. Her pay will be paying anything between €100 and €150. For this an Au Pair would bring your daughter to school, collect her, feed her, play with her, bring her swimming etc, and oversee homework. I have a lot of advice I can share with you if you are interested. They are off at weekends but still stay with you.

There are lot of Au Pair websites but the one that was recommended to me was www.aupairireland.ie

You can interview them by skype.

• Advertisement

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all your responses. My head is spinning with everything that needs to be organised and the time-scale involved. Thanks so much for replies :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

West side of city has the majority of secondary schools which is an important factor (Taylors, Salerno, Endas, Marys, Jes)
    East side of city has the most industry (especially large medical/pharmaceutical and IT companies).
    West side of city has the most highly paid jobs (HSE and NUIG and DERI are large high paying employers) which tends to keep the house prices higher.
    West side of city has nicest amenities/beaches (Salthill Prom, Leisureland, Dangan sports complex, Corrib access).
    East side of city has easier access to Dublin/Shannon.

Just make sure you do not need to cross the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Just make sure you do not need to cross the bridge.

^^^^^^the single most important thing to know that will impact on your quality of life in Galway. You really don't want to have to cross the river daily.

By the way, DERI is part of NUIG not a separate entity

?Cee?view wrote: »
    ^^^^^^the single most important thing to know that will impact on your quality of life in Galway. You really don't want to have to cross the river daily.

It's a little different for the (relatively small) number of people who work in the city centre: if from the west, they come across the Salmon Weir, O'Briens or Wolfe Tone bridges and are virtually at work.

I have to say, because I lived on the Westside for a few years, I feel more "at home" there, the commute into town from there is familiar etc. I've always had a "thing" against living on the East Side or even venturing over there much (maybe stupidly) because the Westside feels more like home for me personally. Also, a few of my friends went to college in Galway years ago and mostly rented on the East side (Wellpark, Renmore etc...) and my memories of dealing with hangovers in their freezing cold un-heated "student" houses make me shudder! Stupid things to base my preferences on I suppose.

Thanks again everyone for all your input, it's really helped me think outside the box (Au-Pair is a great idea, how long does it take to sort one out though? I'd prob prefer to be settled and used to commuting etc before I'd know if I could welcome someone into my home but I know my daughter would love it as would I. Athenry is starting to tempt me, but that all depends on whether I can get a childminder to take herself in the mornings before school and deal with the drop-off/pick-up from school) Would get far more "house" for my money in Athenry enabling us to be very happy in our home, with enough space for visitors and I believe there might be more of a community spirit (what we're used to) and opportunities for my ltitle one to make friends and go outside to play on the street with other kids when the evenings get longer and at weekends etc......she's a very social little thing (very difficult for her in a city-apartment situation when we're used to a family-estate where everyone knows everyone and kids just randomly knock on each-others doors or join each others families for dinner or snacks or ice-pops or water-fights or BBQs in the summer etc)

No place in the school in Knocknacarra for her but the Principal was very helpful and lovely. Trying a school in Oranmore and if that's fruitless I think my next step will be to look at Athenry as a possibility :)

*still confused*

Thanks again :)

• Advertisement

I sent an email to a property crowd yesterday re a house I saw (and liked) online in Doughiska!!

The response I got was amusing:

"Hi, it is probably not the property / area for you. We would prefer to rent to somebody familiar with the area as it is not for everyone. Regards"

I don't know if that was them blowing me off or protecting me!? lol So far, it's been negative from every school I've contacted and every rental property I've contacted, do landlords just HATE the thoughts of children I wonder....?...... either no response, no place in the school or just no reply. This is all much harder than I expected :) But we'll get there.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Just pm'd you

It's gonna be hard: rental places are tight in Galway, and rents are high. Mainly due to the lack of property sales, lots of people are stuck renting 'cos they cannot buy. And school places in the city are still tight, though it's not as bad as it was.

Can you ask your employer to help, even just with some local relationships / introductions. You may find that with the righ person asking, places/houses may well be available after alll.

Re Doughiska - most of the estates are great to live in, but yes, there are one or two areas that are best for people familiar with the area - for various reasons. Assume that the agency is saving everyone concerned a lots of time/hassle.

I think that's what it was Mrs. O'Bumble. I had explained to estate agent that we are a "quiet little family" etc so he/she just knew it wasn't the right area for us.

Just had a lengthly conversation witht he Principal of Maree NS (what a helpful and genuine gent!!!) and he has again, made me think further outside of the box and given me some more ideas. He mentioned girls primary in Oranmore and a primary school in Renmore also? He mentioned possibility of living in Roscam and dropping her to school in Renmore on way into town as being more realistic than his primary school.

I'm still swaying towards the West side though. Traffic in from Rahoon/Newcastle isn't quite as bad as it is from Renmore!? Or I could always cycle. Finding a place to live is going to be very difficult it seems. When I was a 22 year old single-mother with a 4 month old baby I moved to Galway and, with no problems whatsoever, found a perfect little 2-bed apartment in Knocknacarra to rent for just €600 per month. (Advertised at €750 but when landlord realised I was genuinely alone, he dropped the rent to €600). I dread to think if I was that 22 year old with babe-in-arms now how difficult I would find this move.

If anyone on here knows any landlords who have a nice empty place, and want their places loved and minded carefully and with careful, respectful and quiet tenants do NOT be afraid to mention me. :)

All the responses I've received on here alone, have made me fall in love with Galway even more. Galway people are generally just so helpful and kind. It's one of the reasons I have missed living there so much since I left in 2006 and cannot wait to be back! I'm completely 100% stressed right now but also 100% excited! My daughter won't have remembered living in Galway, but I just know she's going to fall in love with the place as much as I have already.

Thanks again to everyone for your responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

RE: Au Pair.
    Au Pair can be recruited very quickly. There are a lot of au pairs in Ireland who would love the opportunity to move to Galway city. The Au Pair that we had was with a family in Tuam and was delighted to get an opportunity to move to Galway city. She said there are Au Pair forums on Facebook for the Au Pairs themselves
    (in their own language) and they all want to be in Dublin or Galway.

The advice I got was to hire an Au Pair who is 20 to 24. If they are teenagers, then it's like having another child in the house. If you hire a 25+, then they are more often than not 'career Au Pairs' who are less enthusiastic. The best nationalities are Spanish, German and Swedish. There are other nationalities which have a reputation for not working out so stick with the aforementioned.

If you would like any other information, please fell free to send me a private message.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 flonk

Have a look at Scoil Naomh Sheosaimh Buaile Beag. Good website and great reputation. Near Knocknacarra and Cappagh Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 sindy5

Hi. Have you tried taylors hill primary school. Its scoil Rois. Have you gotten a place to stay yet. You have a picked a place in galway yet to live? Beast wishes.

Hi all,

So I've got her enrolled in Bushy Park NS so that's ticked off the list. I'm delighted!! Haven't found rental accom yet and haven't found childcare but am working on both :) Thanks again for all your input. I'm heading down galway-way this evening for the weekend so I can check out areas/routes to school/work etc. I'd love to live close-by the school (within 5 mins drive) so that I could leave car at home maybe and walk/cycle/bus to work instead of worrying about traffic and parking in the city centre. I drove into town every day from Knocknacarra in back in 2004-2006 and traffic/ parking was a nightmare. I've heard it's gotten worse?

Beejeez wrote: »
    Hi all,

So I've got her enrolled in Bushy Park NS so that's ticked off the list. I'm delighted!! Haven't found rental accom yet and haven't found childcare but am working on both :) Thanks again for all your input. I'm heading down galway-way this evening for the weekend so I can check out areas/routes to school/work etc. I'd love to live close-by the school (within 5 mins drive) so that I could leave car at home maybe and walk/cycle/bus to work instead of worrying about traffic and parking in the city centre. I drove into town every day from Knocknacarra in back in 2004-2006 and traffic/ parking was a nightmare. I've heard it's gotten worse?

I've been watching this thread and delighted to see that you've got what's probably the hardest bit sorted. By all accounts it's a great school.

Have a look at this. Just a stone's throw from the school.

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1395467

You're near University lands at Dangan and the river - great amenities.

Hi Ceeview - Yeah I actually called about that property as it looks like a nice family home in a family-type estate and another property under the same crowd, and the girl I spoke to in the letting agents just told me that "neither of those are avialble to view until at least the end of next week so you'll have to call back then" I asked could I make appointment etc and they said "no, you'll have to call back next week" I've also called Dooley Auctioneers in Moycullen and received no call back and most other crowds, although I spoke with Yvonne Mullaney on Wednesday and she was very helpful but still had no properties available right now and she said it will be hard to find something this side of Christmas.....I think I'd like to rent in Moycullen if possible although being closer to the school would be nice (just maybe a bit more expensive)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Moycullen and its surroundings are very nice and the drive into town is not too bad for traffic compared to Knocknacarra/Barna/Spiddal. In fact many people from those towns use backroads to cross over to the N59 to get into town.
    Bushy Park is a good school too.

Good choices!

Delighted to hear that Spring Onion, am thrilled about the school really, heading for Galway this evening to get my bearings over the weekend, looking forward to it, hope it doesn't rain too much (a lot of rain in Sligo today) Thanks :)

Re accommodation: look at the classifieds in the Galway Advertiser: http://classifieds.advertiser.ie/ It sometimes gets things that don't go onto Daft.ie

You'll need to do a bit more work looking at neighbourhoods etc, but you may be able to work directly with a property owner rather than going thru a company. (Auctioneers are geenrally hard work, because rentals aren't their main business.)

Thanks Mrs. O'Bumble, I think I'll go down that route now, definitely :) I've already put an "accomodation wanted" add in the Advertiser and been keeping a look-out for suitable accom there too, thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Congrats! Bushypark NS is a great school. When you are in Galway talk to the people in the shop across from the school, they might put up a notice for you or know something.
    Also there are loads of children from Moycullen in Bushypark, you might find a parent to mind your daughter. When my kids where in the school there used to be a minibus picking up children to bring to their after school care. Don't know which operator but the principal should be able to tell you.
    Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Fantastic about the school. It's an excellent school. Start looking into secondary schools ASAP for her now. Put an ad in the advertiser for a childminder in the area.

One thing.

Moycullen and generally out of town are lovely, but you've already raised the issue of traffic. It will be particularly hard to manage as you're single with a child if you're out of town a fair bit; you'll spend ages driving. If you're in or close to town, your daughter in a few short years should be able to use buses.

Just a thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

If at all possible I'd live in Dangan Heights simply cos all the children there go to Bushypark or a Gaelscoil and your child would have loads of friends there. Welcome to the area, lived there for years before the move and it's one of the most sought after. Walking distance into town. Hope you're very happy!

Well it rained a hell of a lot in Galway over the weekend, but rain won't kill us!!! Got to check out route to the school from Knockncarra and Moycullen and both drives are in or around 8-10 mins, which opens up different possibilities for renting. But yes, you're right gaeilgegrinds1, being close to the school would be fantastic for my little one, in order to make friends and have somewhere safe and family-friendly to go out and play (like Dangan Heights) Plus I'd have option of leaving car at home and cycling or getting bus into town for work. I'm going to get on to the Auctioneer again about that house they've advertised. I remember spending time in Dangan by the river for walks etc when I lived in Galway, and she was only a baby, before and the whole area there is a gorgeous area so I feel blessed to have gotten her into Bushypark school, the school looks great, even on a very dull, rainy Sunday :) I'm feeling less stressed, a LOT still to do but I'm so grateful for everyone on here and how helpful you've all been!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

If you do end up in Knocknacarra, taking Clybaun Hotel as a starting point, this would be your quickest route to Bushypark School avoiding traffic lights & congestion areas.
    Its not the best junction to exit at the bottom of the hill on Ballagh, but in the mornings usually someone will let you out.

An alternative would be to turn down Letteragh Road & then left on Circular road, but this can backup sometimes past Sliabh Ríoga for no apparent reason.

Obviously, Dangan Heights would be an ideal location.

Advertisement