Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Galway - Buses/Childcare/Schools - Knocknacarra/Oranmore

Options
  • 04-11-2013 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I'm looking for help from Galway people or people living in Galway!!!! I have just found out I need to move to Galway within the next few weeks. I have a 9 year old daghter (4th class) and we're moving alone. I will be working full-time in the city centre.

I hate uprooting her as she's very settled in her school here in Sligo, she does well and she has many wonderful friends in the nice family-friendly-estate we live in, and I'm also friends with their parents, but we must go, due to a promotion I got at work.

I will need to find a school, somewhere to live and after-school childcare for my daughter (ideally I would have a reliable childcare provider who would take my daughter to school in the mornings and collect her from school also as I'm working in the city centre and will need to get on the road early. Childcare person would also need to be available during school holidays)

I know there might be hassle trying to get her into whatever school/area we choose but just any general advice. The areas I'm THINKING of living in are Knocknacarra (familiar with the area and like it) and Oranmore (familiar with the area and cheaper rents). Anyone know much about St. John the Apostle in Knocknacarra or Scoil Mhuire in Oranmore (are the schools ok?! What are their opening/closing times like, do they have a uniform?)
    • Does anyone know if there are childcare providers in the Knocknacarra or Oranmore areas that take a child before AND after school and take care of drop-off/pick-up from school?
    • Does anyone know if there are any particular primary schools that have a good name in general?
    • Are the morning and evening bus services from Knockncarra and/or Oranmore into city centre any good or much quicker than driving?!
    • Does anyone have any tips on nice family-friendly estates around Knockncarra or Oranmore that wouldn't break the bank rent-wise??? It's possible we'll rent a two-bed apartment to start....it would be lovely if it was a place with other families rather than all professionals/students.....any tips/advice?
    I'll probably decide where to look for accomodation based on the school rather than the other way around and need to do everything very quickly (within a fortnight) so I'm panicking.

Any advice would be massively appreciated smile.png Thanks so much for reading! I've so much to think of and really don't know where to start.

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement