Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help in choosing a compression tester

• 04-11-2013 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

I am starting my first project (a non running vivacity), and need a reasonably priced compression tester for it.
    I have no idea about the quality of these tools and none are brands I recognize.

I have a budget of about 30 euros for it and will spend a few quid more for one if it can fit most bikes.

Can anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Sealey and Draper make kits with all the adaptors you need for around €30. Your local auto factors probably stocks them or can get them.

If it is your first project, why do you need a compression tester for a single cylinder engine? You don't say whether it is 2T or 4T but if its a 2T 50cc just whip off the head and fit a set of rings rather than fart around with a compression tester.

'cpt

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭the cats pajamas

I picked it up for free, then asked someone where i should start with a none runner I was told make sure it has compression, spark and fuel.
    It has no spark but just going to check compression to see what to do next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Borrow a compression tester or just put your thumb over the spark plug hole while cranking the engine. Fix the missing spark if you can and proceed from there. Is it a 50cc 2T? There are probably cheap piston/ring kits available that would eliminate a lot of issues in one go.

OK, ill look into it.
    It is a 2007 pug vivacity, it's a 50cc two stroke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Halfords do a very good Gunson one for €30:

Gunson Hi-Guage, Halfords

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Borrow a compression tester or just put your thumb over the spark plug hole while cranking the engine. Fix the missing spark if you can and proceed from there. Is it a 50cc 2T? There are probably cheap piston/ring kits available that would eliminate a lot of issues in one go.

I agree. This is the first compression test. Don't spend your money just yet.

I sorted out a friend's scooter recently. The electrical choke wasn't working (seems to be a common problem) and there was a split in the rubber inlet manifold.

ok, ill do the thumb tonight :)
    I don't really start into it until next Thursday when i have a bit of holiers.
    You can expect a fair few more threads about this moped over the next while :)
    If anyone knows of a good documentary on how mopeds work start to finish I'd very much appreciate it

Advertisement