Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Random minor repair and maintenance info requests and tips

• 04-11-2013 12:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

I don't know about you lot but I often have minor issues that I wouldn't really start a thread about. Niggly stuff that isn't a serious issue.

Maybe things that I'd be embarrassed to ask or things that I should already know or I've forgotten :o Things like 'How do I know if I need to check my valve clearance' or 'how do I stop my mirror from vibrating'.

So what about a thread for requests for tips or a place for sharing the knacks we've learned over the years.

Here's one I learned recently- if you're like most of us, you struggle trying to fit your back wheel on your own. Remove the caliper from the carrier when you're removing the wheel and simply refit the caliper back on after you've refitted the wheel. It makes things infinitely easier.

Here's a question:
    Tyre pressures- are the stated pressures for a hot or a cold tyre or does it matter? I ask because the tyres on the Mille get very warm indeed. I think I knew the answer to this at one stage but forgot :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Always check tyre pressures on cold tyres.

And always check potentially embarrassing questions with Google before committing to a thread filled with equal parts hilarity and shame. (Can I lubricate my chain with WD-40? NOOOOOOOO etc)

OK, me next - use a hair dryer to warm up any stickers/decals you want to remove. Use a fingernail or plastic spoon to get under an edge and peel slowly - never use metal or sandpaper. Remove remaining adhesive with a little lighter fluid, petrol or cellulose thinners on a cloth.

'c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Great idea for a thread. I often have silly questions but dont post because im sure it just requires a few words for an answer.

Question - Where is the best place to pick up nuts,bolts screws,washers etc etc to replace old or worn items on the bike?

For example, I just about finished putting the tail of the bike back together but I cant find the 2 nuts that hold the tail light on. Its no big deal but everyday im without these nuts is a day without using the bike.

Also i need some nuts to replace the worn ones on the chain adjuster swing arm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have found that buying a pack of assorted fasteners is much better value than single packs of the same size.
    Heine Gericke used to do great small boxes of stainless fasteners with nuts,spring washers and flat washers.
    Louis still sell them but with postage it may be better to stick them in another order.
    Other than that sometimes shops that sell a lot of stuff to farmers often have assorted fasteners in a box as well.
    Its a good idea to try and build up a stock of stuff over time, split pins, fibre washers, o-rings, springs etc. All of these now come in small plastic boxes for pretty cheap money and can prove very useful especially on a Sunday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I have found that buying a pack of assorted fasteners is much better value than single packs of the same size.
    Heine Gericke used to do great small boxes of stainless fasteners with nuts,spring washers and flat washers.
    Louis still sell them but with postage it may be better to stick them in another order.
    Other than that sometimes shops that sell a lot of stuff to farmers often have assorted fasteners in a box as well.
    Its a good idea to try and build up a stock of stuff over time, split pins, fibre washers, o-rings, springs etc. All of these now come in small plastic boxes for pretty cheap money and can prove very useful especially on a Sunday!

Ill have a look on louis. I wanted to pick up a d.i.d chain tool anyway. They always seem to send me a voucher code at the wrong time. They sent me a 15% off any item but it had to be used before the 2nd:mad:

Advertisement