Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Riello RDB2 - Stumped

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

jimf wrote: »
    whats your own view on this shane for what its worth this is mine

if this was a pump issue I would be expecting the lockouts to be a lot more erratic than first cycle each day and after 3min run this means the pump would have to be failing in the run mode and I don't know about you but I have yet to come across a pump failing this way

I was originally thinking photocell or control box. My initial suspicion was pump but when I thought about it too much, I talked myself into photocell or CB.

Riello reckon it's the pump, so I am going with the far greater heads than mine & will replace the pump. They feel the slight flicker could be a minute bit of damage within the pump mechanism & under colder ambient temperature, the issue is highlighted. The 3 minute cycle, they think is just the run time is taking for the issue to take effect enough to cause lock out.

scudo2 wrote: »
    "Words are more powerfully than the sword"

+ a sense of humour !

Always remember Silence & Smile!
    Smile is the way to solve many problems, but
    Silence is the way to avoid many problems....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

well I suppose pump it is then until proven otherwise

well I suppose pump it is then until proven otherwise

I will let you know when I get a chance to get back to it.
    Just in the door from another one, sooted actually filled the combustion chamber. Rented apartment, started sooting 3 weeks ago. Amazingly, the flamin' thing still fired. Pump gone. So I'm off for a shower now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

shane0007 wrote: »
    Smile is the way to solve many problems, but
    Silence is the way to avoid many problems....

So
    you do have a sense of humour, it helps in our line of work. !

ps. I'm only trying to help with (most) of my opinions so I wish you the best,

All opinions can help with a problem.

had 1 last Friday pump had failed at 6bar pressure when I tried to adjust the pressure up it failed completely

this is my second 1 this year failing but still reading 6bar anybody else have the same issue

smoking slightly on both but not as bad as your description

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

had 1 last Friday pump had failed at 6bar pressure when I tried to adjust the pressure up it failed completely

this is my second 1 this year failing but still reading 6bar anybody else have the same issue

I had a couple earlier this year that were reading around 7 bar and i couldnt adjust them any higher,only lower.so new pump

agusta wrote: »
    I had a couple earlier this year that were reading around 7 bar and i couldnt adjust them any higher,only lower.so new pump
    Dito

I change about 4 a month.
    Usually more frequent due people running out of oil more often. Kero being the pump lubricant, running burners fed from drum fed oil tanks takes its toll.

• Advertisement

Im a bit wrong here,This would be after checking oil supply,cleaning filters etc

Im a bit wrong here,This would be after checking oil supply,cleaning filters etc

Always check filters, etc. before changing a pump, but also check the vacuum.

Always check filters, etc. before changing a pump, but also check the vacuum.
    Shane would you get a very low reading on the vacuum gauge which would say to you the pump is definitely gone..

I change about 4 a month.
    Usually more frequent due people running out of oil more often. Kero being the pump lubricant, running burners fed from drum fed oil tanks takes its toll.
    Dito but more in my case 3-4 per week, as I'm full time on oil rather than part timers who are "Jack of all trades" as in solar,geotermal,gas,oil,drains,taxi,chimny sweeping!,Underfloorheating,bathrooms,
    Ber's,milking parlors, well's and pumps.....+more

Ya can't beat a full time professional......!

Only taking the p.

Hope I didn't insult any taxi drivers !

Or a high reading that would tell you its a partially blocked line or filter and the pump is more than likely not gone

scudo2 wrote: »
    Dito but more in my case 3-4 per week, as I'm full time on oil rather than part timers who are "Jack of all trades" as in solar,geotermal,gas,oil,drains,taxi,chimny sweeping!,Underfloorheating,bathrooms,
    Ber's,milking parlors, well's and pumps.....+more

Ya can't beat a full time professional......!

Well that puts your gas posts in to context.

• Advertisement

Shane would you get a very low reading on the vacuum gauge which would say to you the pump is definitely gone..

No, a low reading means it is not under stress. It should always be below 0.4 bar vacuum, but the lower the better. Readings above 0.4 lead to cavitation of the oil.
    Then whilst running, switch off the supply & this will test the strength of the pump, i.e. Vacuum reading will rise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n03g8nsaBro :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭crock!

Shane did you get it sorted.?

crock! wrote: »
    Shane did you get it sorted.?

Not yet. Client gone away for a week. Have to go down there this week.

Just in the door from that burner.
    Client insisted he wanted a new burner. I got it couriered from Grant which arrived today. Got home from the Seychelles at 6.30, had me din dins & set off down to the client.

Got there & told client I don't mind fitting a new oil pump but he said no he wants a new burner. So I fitted it & still a flicker on the pump pressure. Fitted vacuum gauge but this time it's pulling -4.5 bar. Back to the oil tank, removed filter & checked for blockage from valve into tank. Nothing.

Removed wheel type fire valve, oil flowing. Fitted new valve. Still vacuum at -4.5 bar. Told client there is a blockage or a kink in the oil line.
    He says he had electricians round fitting a new earth rod & they drill close to the oil line outside. We checked & nothing! I asked how did the electrician know he was drilling out near the oil line as it was buried & he tells me because of the oil fire valve they spotted in an AJ. Opened the AJ to see a Teddington remote acting fire valve. I said where da fook is the capillary for that. He said in at the boiler. So I check & it is tucked down in behind the boiler on the floor.
    So back to the fire valve, remove it & fit a new one. Pump as solid as a rock & vacuum perfect. Left there at 10.45pm.
    I should have stayed in the Seychelles....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Client insisted he wanted a new burner. I got it couriered from Grant which arrived today. Got home from the Seychelles at 6.30, had me din dins & set off down to the client.

Got there & told client I don't mind fitting a new oil pump but he said no he wants a new burner. So I fitted it & still a flicker on the pump pressure. Fitted vacuum gauge but this time it's pulling -4.5 bar. Back to the oil tank, removed filter & checked for blockage from valve into tank. Nothing.

Removed wheel type fire valve, oil flowing. Fitted new valve. Still vacuum at -4.5 bar. Told client there is a blockage or a kink in the oil line.
    He says he had electricians round fitting a new earth rod & they drill close to the oil line outside. We checked & nothing! I asked how did the electrician know he was drilling out near the oil line as it was buried & he tells me because of the oil fire valve they spotted in an AJ. Opened the AJ to see a Teddington remote acting fire valve. I said where da fook is the capillary for that. He said in at the boiler. So I check & it is tucked down in behind the boiler on the floor.
    So back to the fire valve, remove it & fit a new one. Pump as solid as a rock & vacuum perfect. Left there at 10.45pm.

Some things are just impossible to foresee. Glad you got to the root of it.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

I knew you would keep digging until you figured it out jesus sometimes you find em with no firevalve

Thanks. Worst thing was my back went half way through it & there was a lot of ups & downs on to my knees. (Long flights do that). The ol' Valium is just about to be taken along with some strong pain killers.

What is still baffling me is the 3 minute lock out mornings only. If the fire valve is fooked, why does it not lock out at night? When I blew through it, nothing! It needed the strength of the pump to suck it through.

I knew you would keep digging until you figured it out jesus sometimes you find em with no firevalve

I have had a fair few remote acting fire valve failures. Especially them cheaper ones from HWOS. Not so many Teddingtons go wrong but still a few.

have only come across 1 kbb activated for no reason but would not manually reset

have only come across 1 kbb activated for no reason but would not manually reset

I've had a good few of them do that. Once after a really hot day & the valve body was in full sun. It activated but would never reset even whe cold.

HWOS have a cheaper version of the KBB. They had a bad batch of them last year so the extent they pulled them from the market, but have them re-stocked now. They said there was a manufacturing fault with them in China.

Thanks. Worst thing was my back went half way through it & there was a lot of ups & downs on to my knees. (Long flights do that). The ol' Valium is just about to be taken along with some strong pain killers.

What is still baffling me is the 3 minute lock out mornings only. If the fire valve is fooked, why does it not lock out at night? When I blew through it, nothing! It needed the strength of the pump to suck it through.

go to bed and let the valium kick in you can wreck your head about it to morrow

I better get off to bed. I have an early flight at 7.30 in the morning & me arms are tired.

I better get off to bed. I have an early flight at 7.30 in the morning & me arms are tired.

hope that flight isn't limerick bound :p

hope that flight isn't limerick bound :p

No it's back to the Seychelles...

• Advertisement

No it's back to the Seychelles...

safe travel we will try and keep billy under control while your away

and I mean try :cool:

Advertisement