Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

JellyBean Galaxy s3 today vodafone

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭bawn79

I'm in the same boat - except it seems to have dropped a text message. Had one phone call go straight to voicemail and its turned itself off completely once. Can anyone tell me how to uninstall it simply?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

Disabling s-voice, and vodafone apps(vodafones apps might not be the problem), has resolved the laggy home-button. No wifi problems since.
    Battery consumption is still rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Nothing new to add but wanted to contribute. This update has really screwed up my phone. Slow to wake up when power button pressed, sometimes even have to reboot to get it to wake. Won't let me answer calls. Freezes and shuts down. Still under warranty, so will contact Vodafone tomorrow.
    What a pain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Can anyone recommend optimns for alternative ROM installs? Would be keen to get it right first time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I think installing third party ROMS while decent advice is letting Samsung off the hook and possibly forcing you to invalidate your phones warranty.

Samsung have put out an update that has rendered the phone almost useless. They should be putting out a fix way quicker than this. I would advise everyone to contact Samsung and voice their anger, preferably publicly in somewhere like their facebook page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 457 ✭✭Scarlet42

I put on cyrangenmod 10.2 and it was fairly painless!

Scarlet42 wrote: »
    I put on cyrangenmod 10.2 and it was fairly painless!

Thanks for this. Where did u find the download?

I'm not going to hang around waiting for another release from Samsung which may or may not resolve some or all the issues.

Where did everything go so wrong that when it is suggested we express our utter outrage at something the solution is to post on a facebook page. I sometimes despair at where we are and where things are going.

Thanks for this. Where did u find the download?

I'm not going to hang around waiting for another release from Samsung which may or may not resolve some or all the issues.

Where did everything go so wrong that when it is suggested we express our utter outrage at something the solution is to post on a facebook page. I sometimes despair at where we are and where things are going.

The point of facebook/twitter is the public outing of this issue and hoping that the embarassment would cause them to concentrate on a solution more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭argentum

since the update I now have an album called Jack Wilshire with a little picture of him in it.I have never downloaded a picture of Jack Wilshire,I don't support Arsenal and I can't get rid of the fecking thing.I can't delete the album,I can open the picture but I cant delete it as it doesnt give me an option to delete it and its driving me mad.Anyone got any idea

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

@ing thing escaped :mad:

Is it possible to roll back to previous version?

tagoona wrote: »
    The point of facebook/twitter is the public outing of this issue and hoping that the embarassment would cause them to concentrate on a solution more.

I understand that. I just despair at where we are with this kind of stuff. I'm not having a go at your suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭sassyj

I have disabled S Voice and found some improvement. Can't believe they released these with all the problems people are experiencing.

Yeah, disabling the S Voice seems to improve things a bit..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

When can we start complaining about them using the Irish market as the guinea pig?

You'd wonder what level of testing was done internally. You'd have thought that you'd ask "some of the lads" to put it on their phone and use it for the weekend at the very least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

Kalyke wrote: »

Not surprising that they have pulled it.

Now what about the people they have left with basically unusable €500+ phones?

Based on that article, they haven't pulled it.

Based on that article, they haven't pulled it.
    Over the weekend reports of the same software being ready to be pushed out for the Galaxy Note 2 emerged but this is surely going to be delayed because of these problems. The update has reached the UK and it seems is available via an OTA update, but we have yet to decide if we will update our unlocked version of the Galaxy S3 until the problems have been sorted.

Update: Samsung has since pulled the software.

Have you got the update and yet and had any issues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

Installed yesterday and it's the worst OS/firmware upgrade I've ever done on any device.

Samsung Galaxy S3
    It powers off randomly for no reason, even while charging from AC. Won't be relying on my phone as an alarm clock any more.
    Voice call yesterday signal was so bad it was unintelligible, like hailstones on a tin roof.
    Laggy when I press the start button - like "has the f$%*!@g thing powered off again? .... wait ... no, there it is"
    Takes minutes to boot up instead of seconds.
    The clock on the lock screen is left justified instead of centred and it looks gammy. The keys for pin entry have no borders and are squished into the centre of the screen.
    Text messages appear on the lock screen - always thought this "feature" was a baaad idea so why copy it.

Having these problems even though I never used S Voice or any other Samsung app apart from the planner. Going to uninstall them all and see if that helps. Was in the market for a Samsung tablet - not looking good for them now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

This is so frustrating...
    I feel like my phone is half bricked.
    The battery is draining like a racehorse, I can't unlock it half the times I take it out of my pocket, holding down the back button doesn't bring up the multivew bar yoke anymore...

• Advertisement

Reading on sammobile,(http://www.sammobile.com/2013/11/04/android-4-3-jelly-bean-update-now-rolling-out-for-samsung-galaxy-s-iii-gt-i9300/ looks like theres a problem with the kernel version of the this update. Vodafone as opposed to samsung problem ?!?!

tagoona wrote: »
    Reading on sammobile,(http://www.sammobile.com/2013/11/04/android-4-3-jelly-bean-update-now-rolling-out-for-samsung-galaxy-s-iii-gt-i9300/) looks like theres a problem with the kernel version of the this update. Vodafone as opposed to samsung problem ?!?!

Page not found? :confused: :P

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I called Samsung customer services about this today and was told to do a factory reset first - he said if that doesn't work to call back again. Might be worth others hitting them too... 0818717100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭muddle84

I tried the factory reset to no avail. I have also emailed samsung about this today. Still no reply though.

muddle84 wrote: »
    I tried the factory reset to no avail. I have also emailed samsung about this today. Still no reply though.

Yeah I said to the guy that I'd heard the factory reset did nothing but he said it was the first step to take anyway! I asked also if he was aware of the issue, said he was but that people were experiencing different levels of problems, some of which are 'only' slight delays in the say unlocking the phone after pin entry etc, others like what's being mentioned here in terms of shutting down etc.

Contacted Vodafone today:

[Me] I have a Samsung Galaxy S3. At the weekend, Vodafone rolled out the update to Android 4.3. I allowed it to update. This is causing major problems for my phone. Checking online, apparently a lot of people are having issues after the update. My issues are: Takes from 3 to 30 seconds to "wake up" the phone when I press the power button. Sometimes it wont wake up at all and I need to reboot it. It is slow. It loses WiFi connection or complains that WiFi is "unstable" - even when standing beside the router.
    [Vodafone] Hello! Welcome to Vodafone Live Chat Service.
    [Vodafone] Hi xxxxxx.
    [Vodafone] Yes we are aware about the issue.
    [Vodafone] And you are not the only one affected by this.
    [Me] Good. Glad to hear that.
    [Vodafone] And it is escalated already, not to worry.
    [Me] OK, I presume a fix will be available.
    [Vodafone] Yes for sure.
    [Vodafone] There is no time frame.
    [Vodafone] But the issue is already reported.
    [Me] OK, then I guess I need to wait for Vodafone to announce a fix. Thanks for your help.
    [Vodafone] You are welcome.
    [Vodafone] Would you like me to check anything else for you?
    [Me] No, that is all. Thank you.
    [Vodafone] Grand.
    [Vodafone] Thanks for contacting us. Please do not hesitate to contact us again if you need further assistance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,560 ✭✭✭Vodafone: Darren

Hi folks,
    Could you try disabling both the s-voice and s-search functions - let us know if there's any improvement after doing so.

Thanks,

Hi folks,
    Could you try disabling both the s-voice and s-search functions - let us know if there's any improvement after doing so.

Thanks,

I have done this and disabled chrome also to try and stop the file downloaded notifications that keep filling up my notifications bar which is extrememly irritating. There seemed to be some improvement in the operational speed of the phone but no improvement to battery life, phone is still slow to wake up when I press the home key if it wakes up at all. wifi connection still crap etc. A little improvement but I still consider my phone useless now when compared to previous functionality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

I have done this and disabled chrome also to try and stop the file downloaded notifications that keep filling up my notifications bar which is extrememly irritating. There seemed to be some improvement in the operational speed of the phone but no improvement to battery life, phone is still slow to wake up when I press the home key if it wakes up at all. wifi connection still crap etc. A little improvement but I still consider my phone useless now when compared to previous functionality.

Yes same with myself have those disabled for a few days found no difference, Id get over the battery issue as per say but the screen lag is unbearble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Clear data under chrome, that solved this issues for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Yes same with myself have those disabled for a few days found no difference, Id get over the battery issue as per say but the screen lag is unbearble.

Yeah same here... it's terrible... the lag is killing me.

Worst issue is not being able to answer calls. The screen remains black, but the phone vibrates. Have to wait until it rings out and then call the person back... This essentially makes the phone useless for its primary activity.

Clear data under chrome, that solved this issues for me

I seen your post earlier on and tried this but sadly this did not eliminate the problem for me so that is what drove me to disabling chrome. This had no affect on this particular problme either. I even cleared everything off the standard original internet explorer and still no difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

I seen your post earlier on and tried this but sadly this did not eliminate the problem for me so that is what drove me to disabling chrome. This had no affect on this particular problme either. I even cleared everything off the standard original internet explorer and still no difference.

Do the files still exist? I deleted them to try fix the problem (it didn't) but maybe that helped when I cleared the data

Quote:
    Originally Posted by muddle84 View Post
    Do the files still exist? I deleted them to try fix the problem (it didn't) but maybe that helped when I cleared the data

Go to Settings , Application manager , ALL, scroll down and find 'Downloads' (there are two of them) and Clear cache, Clear data and Force close. Then restart the phone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by muddle84 View Post

Go to Settings , Application manager , ALL, scroll down and find 'Downloads' (there are two of them) and Clear cache, Clear data and Force close. Then restart the phone.

Thanks for that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭TMC99

Hi folks,

Thanks,
    Have both disabled since yesterday with no/slight improvement. Very delayed response from the phone, froze twice today and had to remove battery to restart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

I'm having the same issues. Screen goes black when incoming call. I missed 2 calls from my boss yesterday and again today because I couldn't answer. The screen takes ages to unlock. Battery life tiny and I even turned off mobile data to spare it. Kind of defeats the purpose of a smart phone. Any point ringing Vodafone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

Not good enough, I am livid over this. Full charge at 7am, dead with minimal use by 2pm (hardly using it to save as much as possible). Given the job I do having a 'phone' that wont work is a serious inconvenience.
    Along with all the other issues this is becoming a major problem.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Really pissed off here. Two S3's in the house have been rendered almost useless by this update. The lag and battery life is horrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

Cant find anything on the net that shows Vodafones obligation to customers however they have basically hacked our phones and disabled them for the most part. Won't stop them whipping their direct debit out in a few weeks without a word of apology though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭TMC99

Phone just rebooted itself and came back on in the slowest spinning Samsung circle I have ever seen - took about 1 minute to do a full revolution:mad:

I'm racking my brains here to think what can be done - no response from Samsung/Vodafone - could I demand a new/replacement phone with the old OS ?

I have a sick kid at the moment and cannot afford to be uncontactable - have a 3 hour drive tomorrow, 2 hour meeting and 3 hour drive back - I'll have to borrow a phone to be sure of getting a call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

I have all the same issues.

This is very frustrating.

Crap battery
    Unresponsive
    Screen goes blank when receiving a call
    Switch itself off

I did a factory reset, little improvement.

We need a fix ASAP

I just rang Vodafone, basically told me, it is not there issue, nothing they can do. It's up to Samsung to fix. And offered to give me there no.

I'm due an upgrade in a month, off to a different provider and I think an iPhone I think !!

TommyGun wrote: »
    I just rang Vodafone, basically told me, it is not there issue, nothing they can do. It's up to Samsung to fix. And offered to give me there no.

I'm due an upgrade in a month, off to a different provider and I think an iPhone I think !!

Although realistically, they can do this, I would have thought that since your contact I'd with Vodafone they can't fob you off like that.

3rdDegr wrote: »
    Although realistically, they can do this, I would have thought that since your contact I'd with Vodafone they can't fob you off like that.

I have a business account with multiple phones and they basically said live with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

Hi folks,

Thanks,

Hi Darren,
    I have disabled s-voice, s-suggest, samsung Apps, pagebuddynotisvc, vodafone updates, discover and Facebook. That has brought my phone to a point that it takes 4-5 seconds to start. However I still missed 2 calls yesterday because my phone was ringing, I had it in my hand but I was waiting for the screen to come on so I could hit accept. At one point I checked my phone and had a missed call but it never even rang (it was beside me at my desk). That is utterly unacceptable. Disabling functions is NOT a solution.

This has been going on for almost a week since this so called update first appeared on your network and infected our phones (I use the word infected because this update has characteristics more akin to a virus than an upgrade). Your mail is the first recognition by vodafone that there is an issue. Vodafone's customers rely and trust your service to operate our businesses and we pay you very very well by international standards for that service.

What are vodafone going to do to compensate people for this? At the very least I propose that if this issue cannot be fixed today then all S3 owners should be immediately offered an upgrade to a new, working, phone.

Hi folks,

Thanks,

Darren - any update on a fix on this?

touts wrote: »
    Hi Darren,
    I have disabled s-voice, s-suggest, samsung Apps, pagebuddynotisvc, vodafone updates, discover and Facebook. That has brought my phone to a point that it takes 4-5 seconds to start. However I still missed 2 calls yesterday because my phone was ringing, I had it in my hand but I was waiting for the screen to come on so I could hit accept. At one point I checked my phone and had a missed call but it never even rang (it was beside me at my desk). That is utterly unacceptable. Disabling functions is NOT a solution.

This has been going on for almost a week since this so called update first appeared on your network and infected our phones (I use the word infected because this update has characteristics more akin to a virus than an upgrade). Your mail is the first recognition by vodafone that there is an issue. Vodafone's customers rely and trust your service to operate our businesses and we pay you very very well by international standards for that service.

What are vodafone going to do to compensate people for this? At the very least I propose that if this issue cannot be fixed today then all S3 owners should be immediately offered an upgrade to a new, working, phone.

I have to agree with you tout - this is vodafones problem. Its totally unacceptable to be tried out as guinea pigs with software that doesn't work. Surely Vodafone had to be aware and agree to this software being sent out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Awful awful update - screen takes forever and a day to show when I try to use it, sometimes doesn't load at all

Unresponsive, slow, definitely not an update I would recommend in any way, shape or form. I am looking at my wife's iphone now gliding effortlessly around and feeling a little jealous :(

Get it sorted Samsung\Vodafone!! :mad:

I backed my S3 up last night and did a full reset this morning - so far so good in that the problems I had seem to be gone... pain in the ass in terms of the time it took and the overall hassle of the last few days but I'd recommend others try this too - I appreciate some have already and it's not worked but it did for me so there may be hope for others!

• Advertisement
Advertisement