Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

JellyBean Galaxy s3 today vodafone

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

:( Talk about flippin jinxing myself - five minutes later I go to use my S3 and back to the problem of a long delay when I hit a key to try use it. Balls... back to Samsung CS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Awful awful update - screen takes forever and a day to show when I try to use it, sometimes doesn't load at all

Unresponsive, slow, definitely not an update I would recommend in any way, shape or form. I am looking at my wife's iphone now gliding effortlessly around and feeling a little jealous :(

Get it sorted Samsung\Vodafone!! :mad:
    Just spoke to Samsung customer service. They are saying its an Android issue not Samsung. They are working on it though the time frame for a patch is weeks rather than hours or days!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Kalyke wrote: »
    Just spoke to Samsung customer service. They are saying its an Android issue not Samsung. They are working on it though the time frame for a patch is weeks rather than hours or days!:mad:

... well it going to affect my future purchases as if it's a Samsung issue so for their own sake I hope they pull the finger out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Have Samsung acknowledged the issue and made any statement on this?

On lunch this afternoon I dropped into Vodafone to pick up one of their leaflets for iPhone price plans....I'm due a new phone soon and ain't waiting around for the next "Lion bar" release\fix or whatever they are going to call it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Already decided to go HTC next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭pdebarra

FWIW, same issues here: v. slow to wake, if it'll wake at all. Since Sunday's update, I've had to remove the battery 2 or 3 times a day in order to reboot, so I can wake the phone.

Music playback (at least from Google Play) stutters to much as to make it unusable.

Battery life has also taken quite a hit.

In addition, there are problems with the SD card, at least with the camera: it can't save any photos to the card, but only to the device memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

I had to pull the battery 3 times today, not sure if I missed any calls while it was frozen. I dont know I have the pateince to go the custom rom route, used to change the rom every couple of weeks on the s1, I'd rather just stay with proper firmware that works

Really pissed off with the phone at this stage. Why the hell can't vodafone rollback the firmware update to 4.1.2 instead of leaving us hanging. Im sick of them saying " try disabling s voice..s search options.. factory reset" WE HAVE TRIED THAT AND IS STILL DOESN'T WORK PROPERLEY.(listen to your customers!!!) I was late for work this morning because my alarm didn't go off, another thing to add to the growing list of problems with the bad firmware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Im not on Vodafone but I would have blindly did the update.... Thank god I seen this thread first....

Why don't ye cancel your Vodafone contracts? If its an error on their part then they are surely not living up to their end of the contract so it should be null and void.... To use its customers like guinea pigs is beyond riduclous and if I were a Vodafone customer I would be sure to call in and give them an ear full before cancelling.

Plenty of other providors out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Sounds like Vodafone have a had a mare here, I suggest people get googling how download and install the previous firmware, I'm sure it will be on sam mobile. Its not as hard as it looks and there is loads of great tutorials

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Really pissed off with the phone at this stage. Why the hell can't vodafone rollback the firmware update to 4.1.2 instead of leaving us hanging. Im sick of them saying " try disabling s voice..s search options.. factory reset" WE HAVE TRIED THAT AND IS STILL DOESN'T WORK PROPERLEY.(listen to your customers!!!) I was late for work this morning because my alarm didn't go off, another thing to add to the growing list of problems with the bad firmware.

Unfortunely it's nothing vodafone can do its slightly out of their hands,alot of other people in different regions are having the same problem with update...read that samsung are blaming android, also a rumour there going to try and push out 4.4kit kat asap......I doubt it's going to be solved anytime soon....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

I would consider the "service degradation" piece to be applicable here and thus entitle us to compensation. .....
    http://www.vodafone.ie/aboutus/code/custcare/enquiries/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

https://community.vodafone.ie/t5/Samsung/Android-4-3-now-available-for-Samsung-Galaxy-S3-via-Kies/td-p/133270

Judging by "daz" post in this thread, Vodafone are wiping there hands of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Shadow78

Rang Samsung on call +44 (0)1932 454358
    They said they would send a prepaid jiffybag for phone collection to bring it to a repair centre to get an engineer to look at it. Not sure if they would try and revert the phone back to 4.2.

Didn't take them up on the offer as yet. I would need a replacement phone to tide me over so a bit reluctant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,534 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Glad (in a way) to see that it's not just me having these problems, as there's a chance we might ultimately get a fix, but it's pretty horrid to see a decent device take a massive step backwards (same thing happened to my S2).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

AndyP wrote: »
    I would consider the "service degradation" piece to be applicable here and thus entitle us to compensation. .....
    http://www.vodafone.ie/aboutus/code/custcare/enquiries/

Thats what I mean lads, don't let Vodafone sit back and do this to ye, when the contract was signed it must be upheld on BOTH ends, they are obviously not doing this so enforce it!

No way they should have rolled this out without being tested and don't sit back and just complain about it, cancel and move, its the only way to get to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭aoshea83

It's not Vodafone's fault tbh. It boils down to a bad Samsung update.

I updated with the BTU 4.3 update and have all same problems outlined above.

Still very frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭TMC99

aoshea83 wrote: »

Still very frustrating.

It may not be VF's fault directly but they do have a duty of care. It was their network that was used to deliver the update, its only on VF (no other IE service provider), they (presumably) gave the go ahead to release it.
    If I get bad petrol in a petrol station I deal with the garage owner - not the manufacturer.
    If I have a problem with my Samsung television I deal with the retailer whom I bought it from - even if its a firmware issue - I don't deal with Samsung.
    If I have a problem with the firmware on my phone, I deal with the service provider, not the programmer.

Had to resort to a custom rom last night, the thing that was putting me off was when I used to use them on my old phone I didn't like the way the contacts wouldn't sync with Facebook. I found a great app called haxsync for a euro thatgets around this. Only thing I miss now is the Samsung planner. Phone is like lightening now, none of that choppy carry on when using Spotify this morning

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

aoshea83 wrote: »

Still very frustrating.

Bad update or not Vodafone must give to go ahead to release the update on it's network as the roms are customized to each provider. That's why the other providers in Ireland aren't releasing it.

It should have been tested by Samsung and Vodafone, it wasn't and it's crippled hundred of handsets.

Now the question is what the hell are they going to do about it! An official statement from Vodafone would be a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

Had to resort to a custom rom last night

Any chance you could give us a pointer on how to do this? I read some warnings at the weekend about incompatible firmware.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Guys, I have 2 S3's here in the office and both suffered from the update. However I have cleared the cache on mine and it has made it far better, maybe a few of you can try it out and port the results??

1: Power off phone
    2: Hold Volume UP + Home + Power all at the same time until the phone powers up into recovery mode.
    3: Use volume UP or Down to scroll down to Clear Cache and use power to select
    4: Choose reboot and see how you get on.

Mad Benny wrote: »
    Any chance you could give us a pointer on how to do this? I read some warnings at the weekend about incompatible firmware.
    There is a windows installer which basically does everything for you, only thing you have to do is back up your media etc and charge your battery prior to install.
    http://www.androidpit.com/cyanogenmod-installer-a-simple-solution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

I'm having the same problems as everyone else and I'm having problems charging it as we speak. I am in contract to Vodafone for another year and a half with this stupid phone. I would love to know how I'm meant to get by with an unusable phone for another year and a half

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Guys, I have 2 S3's here in the office and both suffered from the update. However I have cleared the cache on mine and it has made it far better, maybe a few of you can try it out and port the results??

2: Hold Volume UP + Home + Power all at the same time until the phone powers up into recovery mode.

Seems to have a difference to the wake up all right, fair play ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Seamus B

Will i loose all my media, pics, ect?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Seamus B wrote: »
    Will i loose all my media, pics, ect?

If you mean doing the clear of the cache then no yu wont lose anything.

I was on to Samsung again this morning and was told that the engineers are working on a fix but no indication as to when it will be ready. It really is a shocking situation - mine is actually getting worse, sometimes now if a call is coming in the screen remains black and the ringtone is all garbled so I can't even answer the bloody call!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

Thanks for posting this Jonny. It's improved things for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭gerrykeegan

Under option 3 I have "wipe cache partition" or "apply update from cache". I dont have clear cache as you said. Am I missing your option or is clear cache partion the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

Wipe Cache Partition

Wipe cache partition, my apologies.

I believe this update slowed the phone down due to the size of the original install file, it was close to 1gig from what I remember so thats stored in cache memory mainly and causing the lag.

The guy in Samsung told me this morning it was due to the update being suited to the S4 and that the S3 couldn't cope with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

The guy in Samsung told me this morning it was due to the update being suited to the S4 and that the S3 couldn't cope with it!

Most likely because of their crappy touchwiz!
    If it was stock android it'd be fine as anyone can see if they run a custom rom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Wipe cache partition, my apologies.

I believe this update slowed the phone down due to the size of the original install file, it was close to 1gig from what I remember so thats stored in cache memory mainly and causing the lag.

Wiped cache partition... thought there was an improvement for a while but then after about an hour popped my phone out of my pocket in the lift to send a text, it took 20s to unlock.
    It's weird because it's intermittent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

How does it perform if you disable the lock screen ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

kiffer wrote: »
    Wiped cache partition... thought there was an improvement for a while but then after about an hour popped my phone out of my pocket in the lift to send a text, it took 20s to unlock.

Same here. I disabled some apps (S-Voice, S-Suggest, Samsung Apps, pagebuddy, Vodafone discover and vodafone updates) a few days ago and that gave a big improvement. Still can be slow to start from the lock screen maybe one time in five (instead of five from five). Also I stopped using Play Music to listen to music and instead moved to "Music". That isn't nearly as jumpy and jerky on playback as Play Music is.

Still boils down to Vodafone and Samsung need to fix the issue and need to do it very quickly. As it stands I am uncertain about either of them come the next renewal of my contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Well, I've an s4 and I'm definitely not upgrading when it comes out. One thing I've learned about phone firmware upgrades, if your phone is working fine and you're happy with it, don't upgrade! It's never worth it

Cienciano wrote: »
    Well, I've an s4 and I'm definitely not upgrading when it comes out. One thing I've learned about phone firmware upgrades, if your phone is working fine and you're happy with it, don't upgrade! It's never worth it

I have the S4 with the update and its perfectly fine. Only thing i notice now is KNOX messages thats all. No lag or anything on it.

kiffer wrote: »

Ill look into it a bit more later and see if there is anything else as I havent had much time this week to try much so if I find anything Ill post it here. Altho i notice that to get the phone to respond immediatly each time i hold the home button in for a split second and then release it and its fine.

• Advertisement

On your Samsung Galaxy S3 go to Settings > MyDevice (2nd option from the bottom) and disable these features. 

Screen lag has improved alot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Was just in with Vodafone there and the guy gave me a number to contact Samsung with. Apparently Samsung have recalled the update. I dont know what they do when you call them

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sir V Tec

This update is ridiculous. My alarm clock isn't even reliable since I installed it. Woke up 20 mins after my alarm was supposed to go off at 6am and the screen took nearly a minute to come on. The time was showing 1:55am and didn't update for 5 seconds. Is there any sign of this getting resolved? The phone i once thought was excellent is a paperweight at this stage.

Just going to install cyanogenmod at this stage, its been two weeks now....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Anyone want to post their experiences of loading an alternative rom? Like how it compares to what you have before the upfrade. Do all apps etc work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Anyone want to post their experiences of loading an alternative rom? Like how it compares to what you have before the upfrade. Do all apps etc work

Im on HD Revolution 32.0 right now. Its stock but cleaned down. Memory tweaks and stuff. Rock solid and pretty damn fast most of the time. Only issue I have is screenshots sometimes get stuck saving, but that happened with stock too.

Cant find the 29/32 thread, but it seems Mike's done a 4.3 variant now: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1797334 HD revolution 40. I'll probably flash that when I have a quiet evening.

If you dont already, use Titanium Backup to seamlessly transition between roms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Sir V Tec wrote: »
    This update is ridiculous. My alarm clock isn't even reliable since I installed it. Woke up 20 mins after my alarm was supposed to go off at 6am and the screen took nearly a minute to come on. The time was showing 1:55am and didn't update for 5 seconds. Is there any sign of this getting resolved? The phone i once thought was excellent is a paperweight at this stage.

I dont think it will be resolved any time soon. Vodafone have washed their hands of it and are not taking any responsibility. Samsung would prefer to spend their time on the KitKat rollout for their newer phones and dont seem too fussed about the S3 users. Their preferred solution is if you would move on to the S4.

Personally both Vodafone and Samsung are gone from my life as soon as my contract is up.

ED E wrote: »
    Im on HD Revolution 32.0 right now. Its stock but cleaned down. Memory tweaks and stuff. Rock solid and pretty damn fast most of the time. Only issue I have is screenshots sometimes get stuck saving, but that happened with stock too.

Cant find the 29/32 thread, but it seems Mike's done a 4.3 variant now: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1797334 HD revolution 40. I'll probably flash that when I have a quiet evening.

If you dont already, use Titanium Backup to seamlessly transition between roms.

Install Cymod this morning, very straight forward install via android app/windows very smooth however after coming from the last jellybean update i'm not surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 457 ✭✭Scarlet42

been on cyanmodgen for the past week after the 4.3 mess .. did the update before the new installer ..not a problem since, very happy I went this route .. found a nice theme as well .. called "Circle" from the play store...

but miss the calendar

• Advertisement

Scarlet42 wrote: »
    been on cyanmodgen for the past week after the 4.3 mess .. did the update before the new installer ..not a problem since, very happy I went this route .. found a nice theme as well .. called "Circle" from the play store...

but miss the calendar

Anyway of getting notifications to show instead by default of the toggle switchs on swipe down?

Advertisement