Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes at 2FM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

An number of young male homosexual presenters seem to be popping up on 2fm all of a sudden.

Don't see what the presenters' sexuality has to do with anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,938 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

An number of young male homosexual presenters seem to be popping up on 2fm all of a sudden.

And ? I couldn't care if they are Martian once they play good music and are competent on a national radio station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

It's not just male, they're are a few openly gay female presenters also all across montrose, and that doesn't bother me in the slightest obviously as it has nothing to do with their presenting abilities, what i do suspect though and get a bad taste in my mouth is that some of them are being hired by RTE partly because they are gay and they want to be viewed as being an equal opportunities employer and even worse because they are treating homosexuality as being the new "cool" and the "latest craze" in the hope of attracting listeners.
    I really hope I'm wrong because this behaviour and mindset is almost as damaging as homophobia.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's not just male, they're are a few openly gay female presenters also all across montrose, and that doesn't bother me in the slightest obviously as it has nothing to do with their presenting abilities, what i do suspect though and get a bad taste in my mouth is that some of them are being hired by RTE partly because they are gay and they want to be viewed as being an equal opportunities employer and even worse because they are treating homosexuality as being the new "cool" and the "latest craze" in the hope of attracting listeners.
    I really hope I'm wrong because this behaviour and mindset is almost as damaging as homophobia.

Its a media organisation.

If you think that its in any way unusual for media organisations to have a significant % of gay staff, you've not got much experience of media organisations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

marno21 wrote: »
    This station needs relaunching from scratch I feel now, no point in shuffling the good presenters around if it means the station has no continuity with the worthwhile shows being padded with ****e like Breakfast Republic and Driveby.

Was driving along the N71 the last day where large swathes of the road have no coverage bar the four RTE stations, and being honest Colm Hayes & Al Porter would make you want to drive at speed through the armco barrier.

Having something like UK R1 with mostly music and the odd bit of chat would be much better than this drivel.

I could not agree more: two dreadful shows.

The bad news is:
    http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/comedian-al-porter-in-talks-for-his-own-radio-show-on-2fm-31397906.html

The photo proves that Al Porter is not Bernard O' Shea although they have similar levels of talent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭John Joe Jones

I wonder are Dave Fanning and Larry Gogan safe in their current weekend slots ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Not while Gerry Ryan's kids are around!

Not while Gerry Ryan's kids are around!

The comedians are probably a bigger threat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Are they still breathing? If so, they're safe.

Today's Sun is saying breakfast republic will be on from 7 - 10 followed by Nicky Byrne 10 - 1 permanently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I would imagine that Jennifer will be dropped from Breakfast Republic - she has said that she's leaving Republic of Telly.

The show would be a lot tighter without her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Independent saying that Tubridy is back to radio one for his old slot

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Today's Sun is saying breakfast republic will be on from 7 - 10 followed by Nicky Byrne 10 - 1 permanently.

Let me guess?

Lottie "I'm only here because of my Daddy" Ryan will get the 6-7 slot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 I heart TV

Rumour has it Rick in the afternoon is to be axed to be replaced with Chris Green and Ciara King 1 to 4 followed by Eoin McDermott 4 to 7

• Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I heart TV wrote: »
    Rumour has it Rick in the afternoon is to be axed to be replaced with Chris Green and Ciara King 1 to 4 followed by Eoin McDermott 4 to 7

I'd find it very hard to believe he'll be dropped from there. I'm a fan of Eoin McDermott though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Oh my god that would be ridiculous if true, imagine the radio being listenable from 6 till 7!
    6-9 KC Show Red FM
    9-12 Anton Savage Today FM
    12-1 Dermot & Dave (just an hour before they get annoying)
    1-4 Chris & Ciara 2FM
    4-7 Eoghan McDermott 2FM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Let me guess?

Lottie "I'm only here because of my Daddy" Ryan will get the 6-7 slot!

Right we get it. You don't like her. You've said so repeatedly in your last 8 posts. Move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

iseegirls wrote: »
    Right we get it. You don't like her. You've said so repeatedly in your last 8 posts. Move on.

It's not a question of liking her or not. The National broadcaster should be above this kind of blatant nepotism. The ratings for weekend show are dismal. She didn't merit that job and she definitely doesn't merit a promotion to weekday radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

RTE have now officially confirmed that Tubs is moving back to Radio 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

I like Chris and ciara but Rick is my favourite on 2fm, be sad to see him go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

haro124 wrote: »
    I like Chris and ciara but Rick is my favourite on 2fm, be sad to see him go

TBH, I'd move him to Tubridy's slot - he's used to a fairly broad demographic, his JNLRs regularly outperform 2fm as a whole, and the Radio 1 programme suggests he can mix serious and light slots.

I'm no Tubridy fan but I don't really see the logic to why they would take their most listened to program off air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Rick O'Shea did the post 10pm slot for a bit in the mid 2000s. Wonder if that's where he'll end up again? (If the Chris and Ciara rumours are true that is). He had a good show and played alright music IIRC, and if Cormac Battle stayed on with him I think it could be pretty decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 DaveWalsh2020

How can you listen to those lads on 2fm........I use to back in the day. Completely brain dead stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭NegativeOne

That breakfast republic sketch yesterday of niall horan was the worst thing I have heard on the radio in a while. What made it better was it was followed by a big gap of dead air and then a depressingly slow song by ed sheeran came on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Rick O'Shea did the post 10pm slot for a bit in the mid 2000s. Wonder if that's where he'll end up again? (If the Chris and Ciara rumours are true that is). He had a good show and played alright music IIRC, and if Cormac Battle stayed on with him I think it could be pretty decent.

If 2FM are going for a younger demographic (which their schedule changes so far would indicate), Rick O' Shea would be quite out of place. He's been on 2FM daytime for quite some time now so maybe Chris & Ciara to afternoons and O' Shea to the weekends or else he might be offered a role on Arena on Radio 1 as well as some sporadic shows.

I'd expect Stephen Byrne to get the 10pm slot. He's been getting a lot of cover work recently and I like him. He'd appeal to young listeners as well. They seem to want to give Lottie Ryan a weekday slot so maybe a Byrne/Ryan double-header at 10pm to replace Chris & Ciara? Lottie Ryan can't present by herself, she's just not good enough so maybe as a sidekick to Byrne could work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭NegativeOne

Hope mokay gets a permanent slot on 2fm. Would suit the 7-9pm slot I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,938 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'd listen to Chris and ciara all the time and love that show. If they moved to weekdays id not be able to listen live which I wouldn't like. I like Rick o Shea as well I like his show. I know I might be in the minority but I actually like 2fm as a radio station. I'm being serious compared to where they were post Gerry Ryan dying they are in a much better place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

If they were replacing Tubs with a mixture of tslkshow plus more music, Rick O Shea could do a decent job in that slot.
    Stephen Byrne has been quite decent filling in last few weeks, although I only get snippets of the radio during daytime.

• Advertisement

Lottie Ryan is filling in for Dave Fanning this weekend.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement