Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes at 2FM

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 I heart TV

GenGenie wrote: »
    Any talk of Dave Fanning getting the 9am to 11am gig ? ?

Errm No, The days of 60 year olds on the 2fm daytime schedule are over thank God.... Chris Greene and Ciara King are getting the mid morning gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 The Fame

Nicky and Jenny not on today....possible press call and announcement....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭John Joe Jones

One of John Clarkes on air rants was about how the current management of 2fm don't tell people whats going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

It'd probably make more sense to launch Tubridy's show before announcing his replacement. That way, his audience will move with him to R1 instead of sticking around to see what replaces him. Then the replacement has more of a blank slate to build from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

One of John Clarkes on air rants was about how the current management of 2fm don't tell people whats going on.

Shades of, ahem, Dave Lee Travis there... :o

ONE OF Radio 1's veteran disc jockeys, Dave Lee Travis, jumped yesterday before he could be pushed.

His contract ends in October and there had been hints from within the BBC that he would be sacrificed as the station tried to change its pop- and-prattle image.

Yesterday he told listeners to his morning show: 'The only option for me is to leave, so that is what I am going to be doing. But as we DJs say, 'the show must go on' - at least until October.'

At the end of that month, Johnny Beerling, 56, steps down as controller after eight years. Like Dave Lee Travis, 47, Mr Beerling was a founder of Radio 1 in 1967. The audience has slipped from about 25 million a week in the Sixties and Seventies to about 16 million today.

The new controller, Matthew Bannister, 36, is a lieutenant of John Birt, the Director-General, and helped him write Extending Choice, the blueprint for the BBC's future. While at GLR, the London station, he sacked Tony Blackburn, another of the original Radio 1 DJs. Extending Choice called for 'innovative' radio services, with 'clearly informative and intelligent' presentation.

Dave Lee Travis told listeners yesterday: 'I just want to take a short break from the music for a moment to tell you about something which is very, very important to me. Recently there has been a lot in the press about the BBC and I really wanted to put the record straight at this point.

'I think you, the listeners, ought to know first. One point I wish to make clear is that I have the greatest admiration for what the BBC has stood for - but nothing stays the same. Changes are being made here which go against my principles, and I just cannot agree with them.'

A BBC spokesman said the announcement was a surprise. 'We are sorry to see him go,' he said. He would not comment on the reasons for Mr Travis' departure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 B787RW

Rick O'Shea's show moves to the weekend.

thejournal.ie/rick-oshea-show-weekend-2298464-Aug2015/

• Registered Users Posts: 14 czechpeter

I've just read on The Journal that Tracy Clifford ex of Spin will be taking over. Good for her, she's very easy on the ears.

I still would've liked Rick to have been moved to his old 10pm slot. I think that might have been his first slot on 2FM?

So this is the new schedule "known" so far weekdays 9am Chris and Ciara 11am Nicky and Jenny 2pm Tracey Clifford 4,30 E McDermot, Weekends 7am Colm Hayes, 10 am ? 11am Rick O Shea

Dave Fanning back this morning, I wasn't expecting that as he is still doing the 9am show on RTE R1 for another week.

B787RW wrote: »

Working 2 days a week is grand,,if ya can do it:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

B787RW wrote: »

They might aswel just rename the weekend schedule RTE
    Gold at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

what's the story with dave and larry now on 2fm weekends????

what's the story with dave and larry now on 2fm weekends????

I've been thinking about this, Maybe the golden hour on 10am/11am or 1pm/2pm ? Maybe fanning to return to weekday evenings on RTE R1 plus a token voicetracked show somewhere late at night on 2fm ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

If Chris & Ciara are moving to an earlier slot, their post 10pm one might be where Dave Fanning ends up. Reminiscent of Bannister-era BBC Radio 1, with John Peel as the only "old fogey" left on weekdays.

Also, will Weekenders with Ruth Scott and Paddy McKenna be shelved due to the weekend shake up? Please say yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Sports Bra

Dan Healy and Jim Jennings should be very worried at the little to no interest in the latest developments at 2fm, not even anoraks care anymore let alone regular radio listeners.

Colm Hayes starts on weekend breakfast this weekend

Sports Bra wrote: »
    Dan Healy and Jim Jennings should be very worried at the little to no interest in the latest developments at 2fm, not even anoraks care anymore let alone regular radio listeners.

I'd be curious as to what are you gauging interest by?

Sorry, I don't want to come across as a 2FM apologist here, but I think a lot of people are hoping this new schedule fails. Personally, I think Dan Healy deserves credit for at least trying something to rejuvenate the station. We don't know what contracts these "stars" were on, so it's plausible that the likes of Colm Hayes couldn't be moved on until now. The new schedule is (or at least what I believe the new schedule to be), IMO, a really brave gamble that could very well pay off. IF done right, the station could have a serious sense of identity across the day now because the shows all sort of fit together, something which has been sorely lacking for the past decade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I'd be curious as to what are you gauging interest by?

Sorry, I don't want to come across as a 2FM apologist here, but I think a lot of people are hoping this new schedule fails. Personally, I think Dan Healy deserves credit for at least trying something to rejuvenate the station. We don't know what contracts these "stars" were on, so it's plausible that the likes of Colm Hayes couldn't be moved on until now. The new schedule is (or at least what I believe the new schedule to be), IMO, a really brave gamble that could very well pay off. IF done right, the station could have a serious sense of identity across the day now because the shows all sort of fit together, something which has been sorely lacking for the past decade.
    They should have moved the station to cater for the older listener. Its a tragedy. The format is the wrong way around. And as I've said before there is such a variety of youth stations in the country now they are competing with household brand names such as Spin, Beat, and I radio.

bbability wrote: »
    They should have moved the station to cater for the older listener. Its a tragedy. The format is the wrong way around. And as I've said before there is such a variety of youth stations in the country now they are competing with household brand names such as Spin, Beat, and I radio.

But the older listeners are catered to by the local radio stations. C103 and 96 in Cork, Kerry Radio, Live 95, Tipp FM, Clare FM, Galway Bay, KCLR, etc, etc.

I get where you're coming from in that there's no national music station pitching at an older audience, but the same could be said for the youth market. Plus, I think RTE should be promoting new artists and live music with 2FM, which probably wouldn't be possible with a station targeting older audiences.

Personally I think it'd be cool if Gold were FM to cater for the older audience and 2FM to cater for the younger crowd. But where it would even potentially fit in on the band I have no idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Personally I think it'd be cool if Gold were FM to cater for the older audience and 2FM to cater for the younger crowd. But where it would even potentially fit in on the band I have no idea...

RnaG's FM frequency outside of gaeltachts...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

L1011 wrote: »
    +1 to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

RTE Radio should relay RTE Gold after 10pm each night to 6am on 2FM

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

L1011 wrote: »
    And the best thing about this is that inside the Gaeltacht's, there's enough spare frequencies to accomodate a sixth national network (fifth in most of them as Today FM is missing from a lot of the smaller relays).

The only areas where frequencies are a problem are in Dublin and Cork cities, and the north east

Rick o sheas last day on afternoons is this Friday and his weekend show starts on October 4th. Still no sign of Colm Hayes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Still no sign of Colm Hayes.

Ssssssssshhhhhhhh they might have forgotten about him!

The listings on the 2fm website have Tracy Clifford starting next monday @ 1pm with McDermott on 4 till 7, those listings are as serious as comical Ali these days tho.

I think that lineup from next week makes the most sense tbh. It'd be a bit much to put another show (e.g. Chris and Ciara) in on daytime.

Any word on a full weekend lineup yet?

I think that lineup from next week makes the most sense tbh. It'd be a bit much to put another show (e.g. Chris and Ciara) in on daytime.

Any word on a full weekend lineup yet?

No, the weekend schedule is a bit of a mystery, no sign of Colm Hayes after almost two months and no word on how Fanning and Gogan will fit in with Rick o shea on weekend mid mornings.

Maybe Colm Hayes has jumped ship after his demotion? I don't know how they're going to fit everyone in without axing something otherwise.

Could work this way then:
    7-10: Ruth Scott
    10-1: Rick O'Shea
    1-2: Larry Gogan's Golden Hour
    2-5: Dave Fanning
    5-7/8: Will Leahy

• Advertisement

Maybe Colm Hayes has jumped ship after his demotion?

Well he is listed on their website as being on weekends at 7am but he has yet to appear at that time http://www.rte.ie/2fm/colm-hayes/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement