Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes at 2FM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MetaQ

gamecube wrote: »
    Today FM has messed up big time but in the 7am -7pm slots that go up against Today FM's shows 2FM is pretty even with them..... that is what RTE brought Dan Healy in to do.

They are only even because Today FM is now a bad radio station and a lot less people are listening to it. That is not what RTE brought him in to "do". His only success is a small gain in the station he runs. Success would be matching the old Today numbers around the time he started in RTE.

Your competitor's mismanagement while you barely grow is not your success, it's just your competitor being bad at what they do. Do you understand?

He also successfully tempted Eoghan McDermott back from London.

You are funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

He also successfully tempted Eoghan McDermott back from London.

Eoghan is good in his 4pm to 7pm slot

MetaQ wrote: »
    They are only even because Today FM is now a bad radio station and a lot less people are listening to it. That is not what RTE brought him in to "do". His only success is a small gain in the station he runs. Success would be matching the old Today numbers around the time he started in RTE.

Your competitor's mismanagement while you barely grow is not your success, it's just your competitor being bad at what they do. Do you understand?

Leicester City won the Premier league in 2016 because all of the top teams were mismanaged.....That was not Ranieri's fault, he could only manage his own team, the same goes for Dan Healy, he cannot control what is happening at Today FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

any chance that 'Nicky Byrne' could be got off the radio, far too childish makes me sick, get back to that so called band you were in at least then we don't have to listen to you:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Eoghan is good in his 4pm to 7pm slot
    ah now , please!!

decky1 wrote: »
    any chance that 'Nicky Byrne' could be got off the radio, far too childish makes me sick, get back to that so called band you were in at least then we don't have to listen to you:mad:
    They said at the time they were just taking a break :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Leicester City won the Premier league in 2016 because all of the top teams were mismanaged.....That was not Ranieri's fault, he could only manage his own team, the same goes for Dan Healy, he cannot control what is happening at Today FM.

You are only using one metric to measure his success - comparison to Today FM. Why don't we use Lyric FM for comparison and then he would seem even more successful? You can't just pick one station to compare it to.

2FM's share remains as low as it always has in every other market around the country, is worse than ever in Dublin, and any gains they've made regionally are small. Your Leicester City argument only holds up if every other station (not just Today FM) were being badly managed, which is not the case.

Having the same figures as Today FM might give him a warm and fuzzy feeling, but that doesn't mean what it once did.

They also hired Al Porter recently who a lot of people on here don't like.

Not just on here. JNLR says he is losing listeners.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

They said at the time they were just taking a break :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Please god let it be a short one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Not just on here. JNLR says he is losing listeners.

That slot has been losing listeners for a long time. It's possible that no matter who they put there, they'd get the same result. The station is now going for a younger market and there's a lot more competition out there for their ears. Besides, many young people don't bother listening to the radio.

That slot has been losing listeners for a long time. It's possible that no matter who they put there, they'd get the same result. The station is now going for a younger market and there's a lot more competition out there for their ears. Besides, many young people don't bother listening to the radio.

So who are you blaming? Station is in record decline. Management need to get more listeners. That's their job. Management hire Al Porter to get more listeners. That's his job. Instead, Al Porter loses listeners. Who is at fault? Not the slot, the listeners or the competition.

If the slot is the problem, that's bad management. Dermot and Dave have failed to improve on A Savage's unacceptable final figure so they continue to give Al a poor lead-in. Then as you say, the lunch slot has been in decline for years. That was also under Dermot and Dave, now promoted in spite of their ongoing failure to grow audience. Management again to blame. Apologies for using the term 'management' but unlike 2FM/DanHealy it seems that Today is run by committee and there could be any number of people at fault at the same time.

Apart from all this, most people on this forum think Al Porter is bad at the job. Regardless of anyone's opinion, the numbers support this view. So again, I would think the fault lies with both Al Porter and the people that created the schedule and put him on it.

So who are you blaming? Station is in record decline. Management need to get more listeners. That's their job. Management hire Al Porter to get more listeners. That's his job. Instead, Al Porter loses listeners. Who is at fault? Not the slot, the listeners or the competition.

If the slot is the problem, that's bad management. Dermot and Dave have failed to improve on A Savage's unacceptable final figure so they continue to give Al a poor lead-in. Then as you say, the lunch slot has been in decline for years. That was also under Dermot and Dave, now promoted in spite of their ongoing failure to grow audience. Management again to blame. Apologies for using the term 'management' but unlike 2FM/DanHealy it seems that Today is run by committee and there could be any number of people at fault at the same time.

Apart from all this, most people on this forum think Al Porter is bad at the job. Regardless of anyone's opinion, the numbers support this view. So again, I would think the fault lies with both Al Porter and the people that created the schedule and put him on it.

Al Porter would have stayed at 2FM but he wanted more money then they would give him, Today FM payed it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Radio_Fan_738

Al Porter would have stayed at 2FM but he wanted more money then they would give him, Today FM payed it!

Also 2fm were only offering him a weekend morning graveyard slot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

You are funny.

He even said in an interview that he originally wanted the show to come from London but as far as I know RTÉ don't have a studio there so he moved back in with his parents in Knocklyon before buying his own house earlier this year. I think it was inevitable that he would get a show on 2FM at some point. Still don't know if he is staying on the drivetime show because AFAIK his contract is up in September. He has recorded pilots for ITV & Channel 4 amongst others over the years but his only UK TV show that actually made it to the air was Channel 5's Celebrity Super Spa, co-presented with Laura Jackson, in 2013.

He even said in an interview that he originally wanted the show to come from London but as far as I know RTÉ don't have a studio there so he moved back in with his parents in Knocklyon before buying his own house earlier this year. I think it was inevitable that he would get a show on 2FM at some point. Still don't know if he is staying on the drivetime show because AFAIK his contract is up in September. He has recorded pilots for ITV & Channel 4 amongst others over the years but his only UK TV show that actually made it to the air was Channel 5's Celebrity Super Spa, co-presented with Laura Jackson, in 2013.

AFAIK he wasn't doing anything in London around the time he was tempted back.

Weekdays
    06:00-10:00 Breakfast Republic (Keith, Jennifer, Bernard, Lottie)
    10:00-13:00 Nicky Byrne Show w/ Jenny Greene
    13:00-16:00 Tracy Clifford
    16:00-19:00 Chris & Ciara
    19:00-20:00 Game On

Monday-Thursday nights
    20:00-22:00 Louise McSharry
    22:00-01:00 Conor Behan
    01:00-03:00 The Alternative w/ Dan Hegarty

Friday nights
    20:00-22:00 National Chart w/ Blathnaid Treacy
    22:00-00:00 Cormac Battle
    00:00-02:00 Mo-K
    02:00-07:00 Late Night Sessions

Weekends
    07:00-09:00 Aifric O'Connell
    09:00-11:00 Dave Fanning
    11:00-13:00 Stephen Byrne
    13:00-15:00 Larry Gogan
    15:00-18:00 Eoghan McDermott
    18:00-20:00 Will Leahy

Saturday nights
    20:00-22:00 Electric Disco w/ Jenny Greene
    22:00-00:00 Spring Sessions
    00:00-01:00 White Noise
    01:00-07:00 Late Night Sessions

Sunday nights
    20:00-22:00 Louise McSharry
    22:00-00:00 Conor Behan
    01:00-02:00 Mainstage Radio

Source ? I thought McDermott was seen as the main rising star in 2fm these days so why would he get demoted to weekends ? I could see Clifford or McSharry getting such a demotion but not him.

Source ? I thought McDermott was seen as the main rising star in 2fm these days so why would he get demoted to weekends ? I could see Clifford or McSharry getting such a demotion but not him.
    This is just something I have heard but as far as I know it is not solid. McDermott signed a two year contract when he took over from Colm Hayes so unless he has renewed it, I think he will move. Also working weekend shifts would give him more time to work on television projects which he seems to enjoy doing. Or they could axe Breakfast Republic and put him on breakfast?

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

Game on has no place on a "pop" music station. Plenty of choice with Radio 1 or nwstalk for sports related programming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭DopeTech

medoc wrote: »
    Game on has no place on a "pop" music station. Plenty of choice with Radio 1 or nwstalk for sports related programming.

Yeah it sticks out like a sore thumb. Given the track record posters have on here this "rumoured" schedule will probably appear next month, it really wouldn't surprise me. I think they could do a lot more with evenings if they got rid of game on and gave mo k a regular weeknight slot.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

medoc wrote: »
    It does seem out of place alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Looking good for Chris and Ciara.

Had high hopes for McDremott when he was standing in for Will Leahy. He was very good, but now he is just using it as a platform to voice his very biased political views and I hope it bits him in the ass.

Can't take to Tracey Clifford at all. Use to love Rick and Cormac but now I suppose Rte think we should listen to tunage instead.

Looking good for Chris and Ciara.

Had high hopes for McDremott when he was standing in for Will Leahy. He was very good, but now he is just using it as a platform to voice his very biased political views and I hope it bits him in the ass.

Can't take to Tracey Clifford at all. Use to love Rick and Cormac but now I suppose Rte think we should listen to tunage instead.

Are you sure it wasn't Colm Hayes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Should dump Mr Spring as well. Utter rubbish and self praise of a show.

Should dump Mr Spring as well. Utter rubbish and self praise of a show.

Late night Saturdays on 2fm have always just sounded like a load of noise to me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Are you sure it wasn't Colm Hayes?

Sorry, yes you are right. How could I have forgotten that farce of a show.

(Note the question mark.) Anyone hear the rumour? I believe she's Stateside for the next few months but if this did happen she would be a big coup for 2FM.

heybaby wrote: »
    The Laura Whitmore idea was floated here before, it made no sense then and makes even less sense Now. Having fronted prime time shows on itv, MTV and inevitable talk of her starting her own clothing label as well as the other strings to her bow mentioned above, there would be zero logic in her associating herself with RTE. The national broadcaster would be a huge step down to someone who's spent years in London building a high profile. It's a non runner.

Who knows? She loves Ireland and is well open to moving back, as she has said before in interviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Pretty girl (to some) and an annoying voice on Irish radio.....we'd never stand for that...:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement