Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes at 2FM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Does it begin with an "N"?

:D:D:D...cant say...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Surely Laura is a busted flush in the UK. She's too old for MTV, so she left. Does she still have that I'm A Celeb gig? In any case, Strictly was obviously her chance to get into other presenting work but that didn't work out... Knowing nothing about her circs, maybe a job offer from the national broadcaster here would offer the perfect opportunity to leave London with dignity.

ATEOTD WRGAF............:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Surely Laura is a busted flush in the UK. She's too old for MTV, so she left. Does she still have that I'm A Celeb gig? In any case, Strictly was obviously her chance to get into other presenting work but that didn't work out... Knowing nothing about her circs, maybe a job offer from the national broadcaster here would offer the perfect opportunity to leave London with dignity.

Reminds me of the Eoghan McDermott story. Entered Pick Me MTV in 2008 but lost out to Laura. Moved to London in 2011 (becoming friends with Laura and Niall Horan), doing shows on XFM and eventually landing their drivetime show (networked between London & Manchester), and subsequently covering for Danny Wallace on their breakfast show. Left in December 2012 because he wanted to try other things. In 2013 presented Channel 5's Celebrity Super Spa with Laura Jackson, it was hopes that this would break him into a larger audience in the UK but the programme was a flop. Then summer 2014 his lease in London ends, he is offered weekend breakfast on 2FM and moves back and he's not been heard of in the UK since despite recording an unaired quiz show pilot for Channel 4. His career in the UK wasn't the success it could have been. Emma Ledden was an Irish presenter for the BBC and MTV who faded into obscurity and moved back to Ireland as far as I know, while on the subject. So I guess stranger things have happened than Laura Whitmore moving back to Ireland.

Reminds me of the Eoghan McDermott story. Entered Pick Me MTV in 2008 but lost out to Laura. Moved to London in 2011 (becoming friends with Laura and Niall Horan), doing shows on XFM and eventually landing their drivetime show (networked between London & Manchester), and subsequently covering for Danny Wallace on their breakfast show. Left in December 2012 because he wanted to try other things. In 2013 presented Channel 5's Celebrity Super Spa with Laura Jackson, it was hopes that this would break him into a larger audience in the UK but the programme was a flop. Then summer 2014 his lease in London ends, he is offered weekend breakfast on 2FM and moves back and he's not been heard of in the UK since despite recording an unaired quiz show pilot for Channel 4. His career in the UK wasn't the success it could have been. Emma Ledden was an Irish presenter for the BBC and MTV who faded into obscurity and moved back to Ireland as far as I know, while on the subject. So I guess stranger things have happened than Laura Whitmore moving back to Ireland.

I'm sure i saw her yesterday working in ANY beauty salon.......:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

What did she have for breakfast this morning? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

That's interesting!
    Look. No one would begrudge anybody earning a buck wherever they can but if it turns out that Laura W & Eoghan McD are getting $$$$ because, hey, they could move to big $$$$ jobs in England at the drop of a hatyaknow, then as a licence payer, I'll be extremely cross.
    I'll be honest, I'm too old to listen to 2fm, and so I'll never hear her, but if we (the licence payers) are paying her wages, I don't want us to be lumbered with somebody who snagged for herself an inflated wage on the basis of her turning her back on a supposed glittering career in the UK.
    TLDR: If Laura W is coming to RTE, what kind of wage is she being paid and on what basis was that calculated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Basal

I haven't a clue why it's there

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

You might do us all a favour and explain what it is you are talking about.

AFAIK, no one listens to 2fm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

It's in a weird position, RTE probably need, but don't need, a sports station.

They need a pared-down 5Live, and/or a pared-down R4, they already have their R3 equivalent in Lyric.

But R1 + 2FM cannot be R1, R2, R4 and 5Live

If we take it that 2FM roughly maps to BBCR1, and there's just no equivalent of BBCR2, apart from shows like John Creedon I suppose, and maybe Ronan Collins at a push (RTE Gold on DAB/Online too) - the morning talk shows would fit the R4 model, but they are trying to squeeze sports and "arts" into the evening slot, and they don't have a natural home for both at the same time slot.

Game On should, by rights, be on R1 - but they have whatever they have on after Drive Time, Rattlebag, or whatever, probably a sop to "public service" broadcasting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I'd be more interested in axing 2FM and replacing it with something along the lines of either Radio 5 or BBC Radio 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

It's in a weird position, RTE probably need, but don't need, a sports station.

They need a pared-down 5Live, and/or a pared-down R4, they already have their R3 equivalent in Lyric.

But R1 + 2FM cannot be R1, R2, R4 and 5Live

If we take it that 2FM roughly maps to BBCR1, and there's just no equivalent of BBCR2, apart from shows like John Creedon I suppose, and maybe Ronan Collins at a push (RTE Gold on DAB/Online too) - the morning talk shows would fit the R4 model, but they are trying to squeeze sports and "arts" into the evening slot, and they don't have a natural home for both at the same time slot.

Game On should, by rights, be on R1 - but they have whatever they have on after Drive Time, Rattlebag, or whatever, probably a sop to "public service" broadcasting.

They did have a Drivetime Sport show on RTE Radio 1 presented by Des Cahill, 6.30pm to 7.00pm. It was dropped and Game On came instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Any time I think of Game On, I think what an opportunity they missed when all the lads left Newstalk. As soon as McDevitt and Earley left, they should have put together a team on 2FM to cover sport properly EVERY evening. The program they have at the moment seems to be the absolute minimum. And they seem to cover a lot of horse racing which I dont really consider to be a sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

You seem to want every show on d'radio cancelled op.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd be more interested in axing 2FM and replacing it with something along the lines of either Radio 5 or BBC Radio 2.

If RTÉ decided to exit the youth radio market for whatever reason, a R2 style replacement (by building on Gold with the existing music shows from R1) leaving Radio 1 to become effectively a mix of R4+R5 would work

However, I don't think its appropriate for them to abandon an entire section of the market like that. If there is a need for another national FM network; revert RnaG to its original structure of being on FM in the Gaeltachts by extra TXs there alone. I suspect only the Meath one would even need a new site. The niche nationwide audience it has can be served by Saorview/satellite. It was never intended to be a national service.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

L1011 wrote: »
    If RTÉ decided to exit the youth radio market for whatever reason, a R2 style replacement (by building on Gold with the existing music shows from R1) leaving Radio 1 to become effectively a mix of R4+R5 would work

However, I don't think its appropriate for them to abandon an entire section of the market like that. If there is a need for another national FM network; revert RnaG to its original structure of being on FM in the Gaeltachts by extra TXs there alone. I suspect only the Meath one would even need a new site. The niche nationwide audience it has can be served by Saorview/satellite. It was never intended to be a national service.
    Added to the fact that there are plenty of spare frequencies in all the Gaeltachts, and a fair share of them have transmitters already as you say.

92.9/93.5 would be much better for RTE as a Gold service in Dublin than RnaG.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Do young people actually listen to the radio any more?

I would guess it's the preserve of the over 30s at this stage.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

NIMAN wrote: »
    Do young people actually listen to the radio any more?

I would guess it's the preserve of the over 30s at this stage.
    I am in my early 20s and I listen to 2/3 hours of radio a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

marno21 wrote: »
    I am in my early 20s and I listen to 2/3 hours of radio a day.

How often do you listen to 2fm though? It's aimed at you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

The question should be should 2fm be axed ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

It doesn't compete with off the ball for me. Would much rather listen to the news talk lads than Rte. I'd listen to most of it on podcast though, only really interested in the soccer, the gaa etc doesn't really interest me.

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    How often do you listen to 2fm though? It's aimed at you.
    Often, but not after 4pm only for the odd time listening to Game On if there's something interesting on it.

4-7 and 8 on aren't appealing in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I like it - Usually throw it on when driving.

What would you put in its place?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I imagine it exists to cover the required amount of talk radio.

Dialogue talk radio is also much more attractive than monologue talk radio.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Yeah Game On is all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I'd move it to 5pm to 7pm and have Hugh Cahill host it with co hosts like Anna Geary who knows her sport and have dunphy as I think he is funny enoght with the stuff he comes out with and someone else who has a different out there point of view. I am sick of listening to cooper wilson and Yeats , they are to dour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

You know who's just moved back to Ireland?

Dermot O'Leary's parents. They're from Wexford, originally.

Yeah I know it's not Whitmore-related but after FIFTY YEARS they have returned home! All the thought of LW possibly moving back here some day came back to me when I read the news.

then i think you should stay away from reading news......:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

You know who's just moved back to Ireland?

Dermot O'Leary's parents. They're from Wexford, originally.

Yeah I know it's not Whitmore-related but after FIFTY YEARS they have returned home! All the thought of LW possibly moving back here some day came back to me when I read the news.

Mate a story about NAMA would remind you of Laura Whitmore.

• Advertisement

ligerdub wrote: »
    Mate a story about Trump would remind you of Laura Whitmore.

Fixed that there Ted.....:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement