Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes at 2FM

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

ligerdub wrote: »
    Mate a story about NAMA would remind you of Laura Whitmore.

I hope she's appreciative of the PR work ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

I had to google who she was.

Has she done radio before?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Surely Laura is a busted flush in the UK. She's too old for MTV, so she left. Does she still have that I'm A Celeb gig? In any case, Strictly was obviously her chance to get into other presenting work but that didn't work out... Knowing nothing about her circs, maybe a job offer from the national broadcaster here would offer the perfect opportunity to leave London with dignity.

Reminds me of the Eoghan McDermott story. Entered Pick Me MTV in 2008 but lost out to Laura. Moved to London in 2011 (becoming friends with Laura and Niall Horan), doing shows on XFM and eventually landing their drivetime show (networked between London & Manchester), and subsequently covering for Danny Wallace on their breakfast show. Left in December 2012 because he wanted to try other things. In 2013 presented Channel 5's Celebrity Super Spa with Laura Jackson, it was hopes that this would break him into a larger audience in the UK but the programme was a flop. Then summer 2014 his lease in London ends, he is offered weekend breakfast on 2FM and moves back and he's not been heard of in the UK since despite recording an unaired quiz show pilot for Channel 4. His career in the UK wasn't the success it could have been. Emma Ledden was an Irish presenter for the BBC and MTV who faded into obscurity and moved back to Ireland as far as I know, while on the subject. So I guess stranger things have happened than Laura Whitmore moving back to Ireland.

Emma Ledden works for a well known multinational and lives in Drogheda last I heard. I know her boyfriend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

What presenters that aren't on 2FM do you think they should recruit? Let me know your thoughts below.

limnam wrote: »
    I had to google who she was.

Has she done radio before?
    I think so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

What presenters that aren't on 2FM do you think they should recruit? Let me know your thoughts below.

Gareth O'Callaghan
    John Clarke
    Mickey Mac
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Joe Duffy.

Abigail Bernard for nights

Joe Duffy. wrote: »
    Abigail Bernard for nights
    From Radio Kerry I presume?

From Radio Kerry I presume?

Yes, she has a sexy voice

• Registered Users Posts: 32 The Fame

Looks like Aifric and Stephen Byrne are official...they’re now on the 2fm website...be interesting to see what happens to Rick next!

• Advertisement

This is what I would do if I was in Healys shoes = 6am Breakfast Republic.= 9am Nicky Byrne and Jenny Greene = 12 Tracey Clifford = 3 Eoughan McDermott =6.30 Youth news program = 7 (Mon/Thu) Chris and ciara(Fri) MoK = 10 Abigail Bernard = Midnight Louise McSharry. Saturday 6am The Chart show Bláthnaid Treacy = 8am Dave Fanning = 10am Lisa Brady = 1pm Stephen Byrne =4pm Afric O Connell = 7pm Dave Tracey = 9pm Jenny Greene the electric disco = 11 Mr Spring. Sunday 6am Best of 2fm = 8am Dave Fanning = 10am Conor Behan = 1pm Stephen Byrne = 4pm Larry Gogan = 7pm total takeover with Bláthnaid Treacy = 10pm Tara Stewart.

The Fame wrote: »
    Looks like Aifric and Stephen Byrne are official...they’re now on the 2fm website...be interesting to see what happens to Rick next!
    Not like Ruth Scott's show was axed, it still uses the same name and the same features as hers. She just left and was replaced by SB!

Should dump Mr Spring as well. Utter rubbish and self praise of a show.
    In that case, may I suggest Dave Treacy or perhaps Mark Taaffe as a potential replacement?

This is what I would do if I was in Healys shoes = 6am Breakfast Republic.= 9am Nicky Byrne and Jenny Greene = 12 Tracey Clifford = 3 Eoughan McDermott =6.30 Youth news program = 7 (Mon/Thu) Chris and ciara(Fri) MoK = 10 Abigail Bernard = Midnight Louise McSharry. Saturday 6am The Chart show Bláthnaid Treacy = 8am Dave Fanning = 10am Lisa Brady = 1pm Stephen Byrne =4pm Afric O Connell = 7pm Dave Tracey = 9pm Jenny Greene the electric disco = 11 Mr Spring. Sunday 6am Best of 2fm = 8am Dave Fanning = 10am Conor Behan = 1pm Stephen Byrne = 4pm Larry Gogan = 7pm total takeover with Bláthnaid Treacy = 10pm Tara Stewart.
    That looks like an interesting schedule. Would you keep Will Leahy or not?

That looks like an interesting schedule. Would you keep Will Leahy or not?

No, I'd move him to weekend breakfast on rte radio 1

Since 2fm is a youth station for young people, wouldn't it be ideal to have it as a digital only station online, app, sky, Dab etc and free up the fm space for something else? Do under 25s these days even know how to use an FM radio ?

Since 2fm is a youth station for young people, wouldn't it be ideal to have it as a digital only station online, app, sky, Dab etc and free up the fm space for something else? Do under 25s these days even know how to use an FM radio ?
    I don't know. But I think RTÉ Gold could do with a place on the FM band.

No, I'd move him to weekend breakfast on rte radio 1
    Well, I believe he has done Late Date for them in the past. I do enjoy him on weekends at the moment, he has shouted out to me on air from time to time and played requests etc. Apparently his old "Saturday Show" has only ever been second to Gerry Ryan in terms of listenership. Besides Larry Gogan and Dave Fanning he is also the longest running current presenter on 2FM! 21 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

No. RTE have a station that could service its audience with fewer lower power localised transmitters that should be looked at first; should they feel like putting something else on FM nationally.

2FM freed from its unnecessary contract obligations (news, shows tied to staff/contractors who also do TV and so on) would still be saleable asset also.

L1011 wrote: »
    No. RTE have a station that could service its audience with fewer lower power localised transmitters that should be looked at first; should they feel like putting something else on FM nationally.

2FM freed from its unnecessary contract obligations (news, shows tied to staff/contractors who also do TV and so on) would still be saleable asset also.

Realistically it would be politically impossible to take rnag of nationwide FM, it's also not as local as it uesd to be as they now have programs like Cormac O Hara at drivetime dealing with national issues. I don't think if an FM space was freed up that it should be automatically used for another RTE service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,587 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Should Joe Duffy. stop creating threads with polls...
    Text Whoy for Yes
    Text En for No.

How about Shauna O'Reilly and/or Eoghan Doherty? They were for a while on Today FM on Friday nights but seem to have vanished from that station completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Joslyn Obedient Shot-putter

Dils available

Dils available
    Would she be a good fit for 2FM though??

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Dils available
    Would she be a good fit for 2FM though??

Definitely. She's the hottest free agent in Irish radio right now.

Maybe a breakfast show with G Hook?

Definitely. She's the hottest free agent in Irish radio right now.

Maybe a breakfast show with G Hook?
    Would she have the same appeal to the demographic as O'Shea, Maguire, Walsh, Byrne, Greene, Clifford & McDermott?

Why was John McMahon so foolish not to give Dermot Whelan and Dave Moore the 2FM breakfast show in 2010 when Colm and JimJim left the slot? They would have been a huge breakfast time success for the station, in Dublin and otherwise, instead he picked Hector who just did not relate to Dubliners. D&D were such a missed opportunity for 2FM.

Why was John McMahon so foolish not to give Dermot Whelan and Dave Moore the 2FM breakfast show in 2010 when Colm and JimJim left the slot? They would have been a huge breakfast time success for the station, in Dublin and otherwise, instead he picked Hector who just did not relate to Dubliners. D&D were such a missed opportunity for 2FM.

He actually really wanted Tom Dunne for breakfast that time and a deal was almost done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

This Sunday is his last show after 21 and a half years on the station

Gutted to hear this. One of the last remaining decent presenters on 2FM. A true gentleman.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement