Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes at 2FM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

They could just simulcast the Radio One news, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Hourly news is a pain in the hole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Never Say Never Again

I thought as a condition of their licence they had to have almost hourly news? This is the case for 98fm, FM104, Spin etc.

RTE radio stations don't have an individual licence as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭eiresandra

I would have thought that a public service broadcaster would have had a responsibility to provide a decent news service tailored to their audience. 2FM’s has always been a 2-minute rip & read.

Say what you like about the commercial stations, but at least Spin & Beat have tried to provide news content in a way their audience might appreciate.

Some of BBC Radio 1’s finest work is their Newsbeat & documentary content. Not a priority for 2FM who focus on inane chat instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Arent they (rte) getting rid of NewsNow channel aswell?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭jrmb

Passenger wrote: »
    The same bulletins are already broadcast on both stations in the early hours, and poor automation often leads to either dead air at the end or the newsreader being cut off before the bulletin is finished.

I think cutting late news on 2FM and the closure of News Now are more a matter of laziness than cost-cutting. Both services already have an "unfinished" feel about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Joslyn Obedient Shot-putter

How about stop hiring Someone in RTE's talentless relative or overpaying staff (Let bbc or whomever steal Tubbs etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭burnsey1987

jrmb wrote: »
    The same bulletins are already broadcast on both stations in the early hours, and poor automation often leads to either dead air at the end or the newsreader being cut off before the bulletin is finished.

I think cutting late news on 2FM and the closure of News Now are more a matter of laziness than cost-cutting. Both services already have an "unfinished" feel about them.

Where and when was this mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Red Fred

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

vicwatson wrote: »

Couldnt agree more.

I would actually listen to a station more if it decided not to have hourly news.

If nothing of note changes, it can be a pain to listen to the same stuff over and over.

I would be an advocate for news at 9, 12, 3, 6 etc.

The way we have it now, we often get the same news, the same sport, the same weather and the same traffic reports.....it can be tedious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭KReid

I think each station has a "News, talk and current affairs" quota to hit, and that can be done in a number of ways. Im guessing 2fm already hit that quota throughout 7-7 so there's no need to have the news to hit the quota, and there is little value having it at 3am.

Having said that, I think as a national broadcaster they should have some obligation to provide news and if it's a budget issue they have more than enough ways to recoup that with the way the station is operated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

vicwatson wrote: »

A woman got stabbed in Wexford
    A truck over turned in Waterford
    A swan farted in Wicklow

Hour after hour - same mindless sh1t

It’s one of the reasons I find it difficult to listen to the radio

Did you hear about the Radio news doll for xmas ?
    Just pull the string on the back and it keeps repeating itself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

KReid wrote: »
    I think each station has a "News, talk and current affairs" quota to hit, and that can be done in a number of ways. Im guessing 2fm already hit that quota throughout 7-7 so there's no need to have the news to hit the quota, and there is little value having it at 3am.

Having said that, I think as a national broadcaster they should have some obligation to provide news and if it's a budget issue they have more than enough ways to recoup that with the way the station is operated.
    The quota is an independent radio requirement. I don't think 2 FM need to adhere to it.

Rte stations don't legally need to have any news at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Wish they wouldn't all have news on the hour. You're left with no option but to listen to same news you heard an hour ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

kneemos wrote: »
    Wish they wouldn't all have news on the hour. You're left with no option but to listen to same news you heard an hour ago.

IIRC some stations have moved their news to 5 minutes before the hour, Beat does this, I think iRadio also does.

It does mean that if you have had your fill, you can flick over on the hour and it will be a DJ/Song.

I think red fm were the first ever station in this country to have news at 10 to the hour, of course they had it on top of the hour now since they turned into a middle-aged station.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

ezra_ wrote: »
    IIRC some stations have moved their news to 5 minutes before the hour, Beat does this, I think iRadio also does.

It does mean that if you have had your fill, you can flick over on the hour and it will be a DJ/Song.

2FM do this sometimes too. I’ve noticed news starting between 5 and 10 minutes before the hour especially on Saturday evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Any chance the Entertainment News would be axed too?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Passenger wrote: »

already do.........which is why the story doesn't appear to make a lot of sense, there was also the story of the pending closure of the RTE News channel in early 2018........but that story has also gone quiet

The cynic in me thinks they are giving reasons for a licence fee increase

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

When 2FM launched (as Radio 2), it carried the same news bulletins as R1.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Infoanon

IIRC it wasn't until 82/83 that regular independent news bulletins appeared on 2FM - IIRC as a reaction to Nova and its impressive listener figures with hourly news bulletins

Surely having separate 2fm newsreaders has always been a big waste of money? Their news is presented in the exact same style as the r1/lyric news, its never had more youthful slant for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Red Fred

Any chance the Entertainment News would be axed too?

No, they have to keep Lottie Ryan in employment until she reaches retirement age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

That's right - I think I remember Emer O'Kelly reading the news on Radio 2 in the early days when you had programmes like "The Ronan Collins Breakfast Show" from 06:30-09:00am followed by Paul Clark. Fr. Brian D'Arcy used have a spot for "Reflection" too and it was probably the first time I would have heard Des Cahill doing Sportsnews as part of that breakfast show too if I recall around 1980 period. Other shows at the time include "Poparama" on weekends with Ruth Buchanan and various co-hosts like Jimmy Greeley, Ian Dempsey, Barry Lang, Simon Young. A few years later they revamped things with Radio 2 News and it's more dramatic news jingles and separate news team.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,938 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Stupid decision. I think RTÉ should provide news on the hour on all of the fm platforms. The news doesn't stop because it gets to the evening time in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Secret Producer has gone quiet again!

To thine own self be true

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

2FM's news from memory at night was simulcast with Radio 1. Frequently read by Noel Fogarty.

2FM used to have the evening news (until 12am) on at :55 past the hour. Not sure if they do this anymore since their output after 4pm went septic.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

What do people here think of the station lineup that Dan Healy has created?

What improvements could be made to weekdays or weekends?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

For me moving Chris & Ciara from 10pm to 11am at weekends was a mistake

Game on will never be a realistic competitor to Off the ball

Dave Fanning at 9am at weekends is another guy in the wrong time slot

2fm could be a little more broad with it's playlist also

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement