Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes at 2FM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

gamecube wrote: »
    For me moving Chris & Ciara from 10pm to 11am at weekends was a mistake

Game on will never be a realistic competitor to Off the ball

Dave Fanning at 9am at weekends is another guy in the wrong time slot

2fm could be a little more broad with it's playlist also

Wow I'm amazed Dave Fanning is on 2fm.

So the station hasn't moved on for 3 decades :)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Wow I'm amazed Dave Fanning is on 2fm.

So the station hasn't moved on for 3 decades :)

He is getting close to 40 years on the station!

You have to tip your hat off to him for that achievement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Great line up on weekends especially Aifric O'Connell. Her, Dave Fanning, C@C, Stephen Byrne, Larry Gogan... nice mixture of old and new. Pity Rick O'Shea and Will Leahy are gone but they are on RTÉ Gold so all's not lost. If Eoghan McDermott moves back to the UK whether it be this year or further down the line, or simply leaves 2FM, Stephen or Chris and Ciara would be my tip to take over the drivetime and whichever is promoted, Conor Behan deseves a slot. Was surprised he didn't get one, he did a lot of cover work on the station since 2014. I think since Healy took over in 2013, they have gotten back their Dublin audience. EMcD's show has gone downhill since it became mostly a talk show, I preferred him on XFM UK when he played more music and when he was on in Louise McSharry's slot for a while. Of the weekday presenters, my favourite would probably be Dan Hegarty. Do they have a presenter on overnights like they did in the 90s, or is it just back to back music?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

If only they'd all stop talking I might listen to it occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

Great line up on weekends especially Aifric O'Connell. Her, Dave Fanning, C@C, Stephen Byrne, Larry Gogan... nice mixture of old and new. Pity Rick O'Shea and Will Leahy are gone but they are on RTÉ Gold so all's not lost. If Eoghan McDermott moves back to the UK whether it be this year or further down the line, or simply leaves 2FM, Stephen or Chris and Ciara would be my tip to take over the drivetime and whichever is promoted, Conor Behan deseves a slot. Was surprised he didn't get one, he did a lot of cover work on the station since 2014. I think since Healy took over in 2013, they have gotten back their Dublin audience. EMcD's show has gone downhill since it became mostly a talk show, I preferred him on XFM UK when he played more music and when he was on in Louise McSharry's slot for a while. Of the weekday presenters, my favourite would probably be Dan Hegarty. Do they have a presenter on overnights like they did in the 90s, or is it just back to back music?

Eoghan won't be in any hurry to go back to the uk as he has brought a house here last year

• Advertisement

cena wrote: »
    Eoghan won't be in any hurry to go back to the uk as he has brought a house here last year
    That dashes my hopes potentially of a Danny Wallace/EMcD reunion on Radio X any time soon. Although he did say in an interview with VIP that he had "unfinished business" in the UK...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

cena wrote: »

His house was on that celebrity home of the year program the other week. By the looks of things he and his girlfriend have put a lot of time and money into stamping their own personality on the place.

His house was on that celebrity home of the year program the other week. By the looks of things he and his girlfriend have put a lot of time and money into stamping their own personality on the place.

It would be a huge risk for him to up sticks and go to the uk

2fm aint paying him too badly i'd say so if I were him i'd stay put!

His home did look really nice on tv

It would be a huge risk for him to up sticks and go to the uk

2fm aint paying him too badly i'd say so if I were him i'd stay put!

His home did look really nice on tv
    You mean go BACK? He lived there for three years.

He could always be like Ryan Tubridy and commute to London for work once in a while you know.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

With regard to the original question, I think Dan Healy has done pretty well.

I'll be the first to admit that, initially, I thought he was making a hames of it, but after a bad start and a lot of upheaval he's gotten some promising results. The weekday schedule is now fairly consistent throughout the day (one of my biggest criticisms of 2FM a few years back was the wildly varying shows). The output isn't to my personal liking (Eoghan McDermott excepted) but in an industry where JNLRs are king, it can't be denied that it appears to be working.

So while it's still far to early to say whether he'll go down as a success, I think everyone involved should be happy with what they've achieved to date. The importance of stopping the rot and clawing back a foothold can't be underestimated IMO. (Though, if one were to be completely fair here, it must also be acknowledged that they have received help from their competitors who have also been struggling of late)

But hey, what do I know. I'm sure the next JNLRs will release and they'll all lose 10,000 listeners and I'll look an idiot.

wnolan1992 wrote: »

I'll be the first to admit that, initially, I thought he was making a hames of it, but after a bad start and a lot of upheaval he's gotten some promising results. The weekday schedule is now fairly consistent throughout the day (one of my biggest criticisms of 2FM a few years back was the wildly varying shows). The output isn't to my personal liking (Eoghan McDermott excepted) but in an industry where JNLRs are king, it can't be denied that it appears to be working.

So while it's still far to early to say whether he'll go down as a success, I think everyone involved should be happy with what they've achieved to date. The importance of stopping the rot and clawing back a foothold can't be underestimated IMO. (Though, if one were to be completely fair here, it must also be acknowledged that they have received help from their competitors who have also been struggling of late)

But hey, what do I know. I'm sure the next JNLRs will release and they'll all lose 10,000 listeners and I'll look an idiot.
    I've noticed that Tracy Clifford's show is the only one of the four weekday daytime shows that doesn't have a presenter who had any success in the UK. As well as EMcD having worked for Channel 5, XFM and BBC NI, Jennifer Maguire was on the Apprentice in the UK and Nicky Byrne obviously had success in the UK with Westlife. So three of the four 6am-7pm weekday shows have at least one presenter who is or was known across the Channel.

wnolan1992 wrote: »

Hector, Tubridy, Larry, Rick, Will leahy & Colm hayes shown the door from the weekday lineup in a couple of years to completely change the station

Hector, Tubridy, Larry, Rick, Will leahy & Colm hayes shown the door from the weekday lineup in a couple of years to completely change the station

With the possible exception of Will Leahy, it is hard to argue that axing those were bad decisions.

With the possible exception of Will Leahy, it is hard to argue that axing those were bad decisions.

I would have kept Will Leahy at weekends, as for the rest i agree with you that removing them from the weekday lineup was needed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Eoghan McDermott just Young Blood saying he always plays it as his last tune as he leaves a station.....

Eoghan McDermott just Young Blood saying he always plays it as his last tune as he leaves a station.....

Maybe he got a big offer on his house after appearing on home of the year!

2FM is probably my favourite station.

By The Naked & Famous?

• Advertisement

If I was in charge of 2FM at the time (summer-cum-autumn 2010) this is what I would have done.
    7-9am Breakfast with Dermot & Dave
    9-11am Tubridy
    11am-1pm Colm Hayes
    1-2pm Larry Gogan's Golden Hour
    2-4:30pm Rick in the Afternoon
    4:30-7pm Will Leahy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

By The Naked & Famous?

Yes! Sorry I meant to say that.
    He said he plays it as he leaves a station and mentioned something about the lyrics "Trying to find the in-betweens".

Yes! Sorry I meant to say that.
    He said he plays it as he leaves a station and mentioned something about the lyrics "Trying to find the in-betweens".
    So was this at the end of Friday's show? Still not heard anything about him leaving 2FM BUT he said in interview with VIP that he wants to do more travelling in 2018 and a bit more work on the UK where he said he had 'unfinished business'.

So was this at the end of Friday's show? Still not heard anything about him leaving 2FM BUT he said in interview with VIP that he wants to do more travelling in 2018 and a bit more work on the UK where he said he had 'unfinished business'.
    He was on today and had Laura Whitmore on with him.

With todays JNLR figures Dan Healy has more ratings at 6am -7pm weekdays combined than Today fm

He beats every show bar Dermot & Dave (which is slowly falling in numbers for Today fm also)

4 years ago it sounded impossible but 2fm has beaten Today fm in total weekday ratings

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Einstein A. Gogo

With todays JNLR figures Dan Healy has more ratings at 6am -7pm weekdays combined than Today fm

He beats every show bar Dermot & Dave (which is slowly falling in numbers for Today fm also)

4 years ago it sounded impossible but 2fm has beaten Today fm in total weekday ratings
    It depends on how you grade success. If you benchmark it against where 2fm was prior to his arrival then he's just on the way to getting it back to where it was before he took over....

It depends on how you grade success. If you benchmark it against where 2fm was prior to his arrival then he's just on the way to getting it back to where it was before he took over....

Success is to beat your direct competition

He has put together 4 shows that have done extremely well

Breakfast republic, Nicky & Jenny, Tracy Clifford & Eoghan

To get the ratings of the past? Never going to happen

Not for 2fm or Today fm

Trying to keep a youth radio station fresh is a tricky job. The 2FM I remember fondly is the one I grew up with in the 80s/90s. But if the presenters from that era were still broadcasting on 2FM today, it'd be like geriatric central. If Gerry Ryan was still with us, he'd be only a few short years away from getting his bus pass. So where do you draw the line and axe presenters? The accepted template on youth stations is that most presenters have a short shelf life and then they go elsewhere.

I googled Gerry Ryan to see what year he was born, then my eye strayed to a 2014 interview with Dave Fanning. When asked about the future of radio, he said " I think radio is dead to people under 21. My kids certainly don't listen to it."

• Advertisement

Trying to keep a youth radio station fresh is a tricky job. The 2FM I remember fondly is the one I grew up with in the 80s/90s. But if the presenters from that era were still broadcasting on 2FM today, it'd be like geriatric central. If Gerry Ryan was still with us, he'd be only a few short years away from getting his bus pass. So where do you draw the line and axe presenters? The accepted template on youth stations is that most presenters have a short shelf life and then they go elsewhere.

Very true, mid forties seems to be Dan Healy's cut off point (Will Leahy, Rick o Shea, Ruth Scott) Which seems to be just about right

Dan Healy does need to move Dave & Larry off the weekend lineup & full time onto RTE Gold with Rick & Will,

It's not an easy job that Dan Healy has!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement