Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes at 2FM

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

It's not going to happen but I'd like to see RTE Gold developed into a version of BBC Radio 2. Where presenters and listeners who are too old for 2FM can still go. Over the water, BBC Radio 1 is the youth station but there's also Radio 2 and Radio 6. I recognise loads of the presenters on those two stations from their days presenting Top of the Pops as Radio 1 DJs.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I googled Gerry Ryan to see what year he was born, then my eye strayed to a 2014 interview with Dave Fanning. When asked about the future of radio, he said " I think radio is dead to people under 21. My kids certainly don't listen to it."
    That's a big point really. I wouldn't say it's dead just yet but it's not going to be around in any meaningful way in 30 years. Same with most paper news media.

My age group (early 30s) grew up sort of on the cusp, straddling the age of modern media and the old guard. I listen to radio but not exclusively.

In terms of 2fm, I'll never listen to it no matter what they do to it as it's just not on my radar after so many years of shyte. But being a publicly funded station, it will probably outlast the commercial stations as it will take a long long time for RTE to admit radio is no longer viable even under the public service(!) model.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

gamecube wrote: »
    Very true, mid forties seems to be Dan Healy's cut off point (Will Leahy, Rick o Shea, Ruth Scott) Which seems to be just about right

Dan Healy does need to move Dave & Larry off the weekend lineup & full time onto RTE Gold with Rick & Will,

It's not an easy job that Dan Healy has!

Mr. Spring and Keith Walsh are both around 45 !!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

That's a big point really. I wouldn't say it's dead just yet but it's not going to be around in any meaningful way in 30 years. Same with most paper news media.

My age group (early 30s) grew up sort of on the cusp, straddling the age of modern media and the old guard. I listen to radio but not exclusively.

In terms of 2fm, I'll never listen to it no matter what they do to it as it's just not on my radar after so many years of shyte. But being a publicly funded station, it will probably outlast the commercial stations as it will take a long long time for RTE to admit radio is no longer viable even under the public service(!) model.

I think massive commercial radio will die off. But I think there's always going to be appetite for community and local radio, and I could easily an upsurge in more "old school" radio in the future. I think people will eventually crave curated music that isn't served up to them by an algorithm. Of course, this would all rely on the BAI not making it prohibitively expensive to run a small, focused station in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

Mr. Spring and Keith Walsh are both around 45 !!

To be fair to Keith Walsh he is a very youthful looking 45!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 scrimpinsave

To be fair to Keith Walsh he is a very youthful looking 45!

Yes, and radio is obviously all about looks.

Yes, and radio is obviously all about looks.

And a very youthful sounding 45!

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    With regard to the original question, I think Dan Healy has done pretty well.

I'll be the first to admit that, initially, I thought he was making a hames of it, but after a bad start and a lot of upheaval he's gotten some promising results. The weekday schedule is now fairly consistent throughout the day (one of my biggest criticisms of 2FM a few years back was the wildly varying shows). The output isn't to my personal liking (Eoghan McDermott excepted) but in an industry where JNLRs are king, it can't be denied that it appears to be working.

So while it's still far to early to say whether he'll go down as a success, I think everyone involved should be happy with what they've achieved to date. The importance of stopping the rot and clawing back a foothold can't be underestimated IMO. (Though, if one were to be completely fair here, it must also be acknowledged that they have received help from their competitors who have also been struggling of late)

But hey, what do I know. I'm sure the next JNLRs will release and they'll all lose 10,000 listeners and I'll look an idiot.

They have done excellent in the latest JNLRS, well done to everybody on weekdays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

You know who Eoghan reminds me of? Jon Slattery a regular presenter on RTÉ back in the late 90s/early 00s. He sounds not unlike him at all.

So... could we be getting a new drivetime presenter for two months?
    https://evoke.ie/2018/04/22/showbiz/exclusive-eoghan-mcdermott-gets-love-island-presenting-gig

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Love Island was made hugely popular by the witty remarks of the voice-over of Iain Sterling. Can't see the point or need having 2 voice-overs.

Unless they're going to have a nightly spin-off from the main show, then that presenting job might be for him - but there would be no chance of voice-over work.

It seems like Eoghan's long term goal is a career in TV in the UK (even though he is doing quite well on 2fm)

It seems like Eoghan's long term goal is a career in TV in the UK (even though he is doing quite well on 2fm)

Always wanted him to get the best of both worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Always wanted him to get the best of both worlds.

Have you forgotten about Laura W., Mikey? :cool:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I wish him all the best with his ambition.

I would happily listen to 2FM from 4-7pm if it was a music driven drivetime show and not a guff driven drivetime show with the odd bit of music thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I have a feeling, if he's taking advice from Laura Whitmore regarding establishing himself in the UK-then he's pretty much going to go the way of 'socialite'.
    I mean, she was just a socialite who did MTV filler, and other 'brain sugar' shows. Her career went kaput rather quickly, hence her stint on Strictly. Once she wasn't dating that Corona's guy, nobody gave a toss.
    There's a couple dozen great presenters in the Uk, and many more 'good' ones, McDermott hasn't a chance.

2fm had good JNLR figures today, in total daily listeners it beats Today fm (Monday-Friday)

Havent' the JNLR's been disputed as heavily unreliable? There may actually be a loss in listeners, but JNLR's won't show it.

• Advertisement

Havent' the JNLR's been disputed as heavily unreliable? There may actually be a loss in listeners, but JNLR's won't show it.

There is no other way for anybody to calculate the quarterly figures

The JNLR's are the only show in town

It's official - Eoghan McDermott will be narrating Love Island - in Australia.

From HER.ie:
    He's well-known for his massively popular 2fm show.
    However, Eoghan McDermott has a new gig for the summer - and one that involves jetting jetting off to Majorca to work with ITV's reality TV smash-hit, Love Island.

The 35-year-old Limerick-man* took to Instagram on Friday evening to share the exciting news with his 43K followers.

He wrote: "Majorca here I come! Delighted to be joining the @itvstudios family as the narrator of Love Island Australia!"

Love Island Australia is debuting this year following the massive success of the UK offering and will follow a similar format.

It will air on 9Go - an Aussie digital station - but hopefully** will also be available to us here in Ireland.

*He was born in Limerick.
    **That's what they wrote; I won't be watching it!!

It's official - Eoghan McDermott will be narrating Love Island - in Australia.

From HER.ie:
    He's well-known for his massively popular 2fm show.
    However, Eoghan McDermott has a new gig for the summer - and one that involves jetting jetting off to Majorca to work with ITV's reality TV smash-hit, Love Island.

The 35-year-old Limerick-man* took to Instagram on Friday evening to share the exciting news with his 43K followers.

He wrote: "Majorca here I come! Delighted to be joining the @itvstudios family as the narrator of Love Island Australia!"

Love Island Australia is debuting this year following the massive success of the UK offering and will follow a similar format.

It will air on 9Go - an Aussie digital station - but hopefully** will also be available to us here in Ireland.

*He was born in Limerick.
    **That's what they wrote; I won't be watching it!!

I imagine the Aussies will find him a right pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

I imagine the Aussies will find him a right pain.

Every episode will have a conclusion from Eoghan of 'love you, love you, bye bye bye' nonsense

Eoghan is talented & good at what he does, the JNLR figures for his show are very good

He is the best presenter 2fm have (Chris & Ciara were the best but they turned their show from night time edgy to daytime dumb)

Dan Healy will probably put Chris & Ciara in as Eoghan's substitute but I would leave them at weekends & try somebody else

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I like Eoghan's show - not when it starts dealing with serious topics. Leave that to Radio 1.

Chris and Ciara, from what I've heard on weekends, is pretty grim.

Their faux polar positions on everything gets tiresome.

Eoghan is talented & good at what he does, the JNLR figures for his show are very good

He is the best presenter 2fm have (Chris & Ciara were the best but they turned their show from night time edgy to daytime dumb)

Dan Healy will probably put Chris & Ciara in as Eoghan's substitute but I would leave them at weekends & try somebody else

If Eoghan does decide to leave, I think C&C would be the obvious replacement.

If Eoghan does decide to leave, I think C&C would be the obvious replacement.

I'd put Jenny Greene in as his replacement & let Nicky Byrne fly solo for a while

I'd put Jenny Greene in as his replacement & let Nicky Byrne fly solo for a while

Ace idea.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement