Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes at 2FM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

KildareP wrote: »
    In 2017:
    - it cost €12.355m to operate
    - it made €4.421m in commercial revenue
    - it received a direct license fee subvention of €6.749m
    - it received Non-Channel Specific Contribution from Non-Public-Service Activities of €843k
    - it posted an overall deficit of €342k.

In 2016:
    - it cost €12.281m to operate
    - it made €5.826m in commercial revenue
    - it received a direct license fee subvention of €5.097m
    - it received Non-Channel Specific Contribution from Non-Public-Service Activities of €580k
    - it posted an overall deficit of €778k.

Source: Page 126/127 of this document:
    https://www.rte.ie/annualreport/pdfs/RTE_Annual_Report_2017.pdf

What exactly does it do that is deserving of nearly 2/3 (and increasing) of it's operating cost to be funded by RTÉ via non-commercial means (i.e. the license fee!)

Firstly how in the name of Jehova does it cost twelve million to operate?
    Secondly how do Today FM and other independent stations manage to survive without a seven million subsidy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

It probably costs more to pay one or two 2fm presenters than to run an independent music station. It makes no sense in this day and age why there's a need to have a government owned pop music radio station. It's not 1985 any more. It would be a fine purchase for a private entity.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

It probably costs more to pay one or two 2fm presenters than to run an independent music station. It makes no sense in this day and age why there's a need to have a government owned pop music radio station. It's not 1985 any more. It would be a fine purchase for a private entity.

Not if they have to spend what RTÉ spend on it, to me when RTÉ did run it purely on a commercial basis then perhaps it might have been a good but, but rather than continuing to run it on a commercial basis they pump license fee money into it began to make no sense, they could have cost saved at the station, using their digital stations to cross market with them, instead the robbed the head of iRadio and kept the stations running cost as they where, with little improvement, it took the current schedule at least 5 years to bed itself down and it’s still not it a position to run itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I’ve had to listen to 2FM in work constantly for the last few years.

I had a preconceived opinion of Nicky before I started listening to him, but he turned that around completely and I felt he came across as a really nice, decent and genuine guy.

I thought he and Jenny had a great chemistry together and I enjoyed their show so will be sorry to see it go.

I also felt Jenny was more than capable of holding down a successful mid-morning slot on her own, as she proved on the (in fairness, many) times she did so over the last year especially.

I have no idea how Jen will do as I only catch the last 30 minutes or so of the breakfast show, but rightly or wrong based on that I thought a large part of her appeal is the innuendo and “banter” she has with the lads alongside her? It’s difficult to see how that translates to a solo show.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

It's obvious...any ex-senior Fine-Failer with an unemployed son-in-law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,794 ✭✭✭✭L1011

kneemos wrote: »
    Firstly how in the name of Jehova does it cost twelve million to operate?
    Secondly how do Today FM and other independent stations manage to survive without a seven million subsidy?

Staffing costs, and staffing costs for both questions.

Independent stations would pay the bulk of their staff less than RTE, with a few name presenters excepted (and even those are few and far between). Sales staff, engineering, finance, HR, cleaners, whatever.

Also, RTE staffing structures are quite bloated/obsolete. Shows that have multiple researchers/producers may have one person doing both roles on an independent; or its entirely done by the presenter with limited assistance from shared production resources that are also doing full-time work as well (ads/imaging).

This continues beyond the studio. Listen to the wrapup on a Roadcaster broadcast on 2FM and the presenter may thank the engineering and technical staff - usually two or three at the Roadcaster and two or three back at base. Bigger Independents will have one on-site and one at base. Smaller local stations will have the presenter on-site self-op using remote access to playout and possibly even the desk (or they just have to turn off their mic at all other times). It may be the same in finance, sales, etc etc.

They would have higher transmission costs than TodayFM due to DAB, Saorview and Saorsat also, which will account for maybe five figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 PooPooPooPoo

Radio Silence hopefully.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Mod Note

Have updated thread title (at boardsies requests), to better reflect situation, a new Jennifer Z thread can be started for her show when it starts.

thanks.

L1011 wrote: »
    Staffing costs, and staffing costs for both questions.

Independent stations would pay the bulk of their staff less than RTE, with a few name presenters excepted (and even those are few and far between). Sales staff, engineering, finance, HR, cleaners, whatever.

Also, RTE staffing structures are quite bloated/obsolete. Shows that have multiple researchers/producers may have one person doing both roles on an independent; or its entirely done by the presenter with limited assistance from shared production resources that are also doing full-time work as well (ads/imaging).

This continues beyond the studio. Listen to the wrapup on a Roadcaster broadcast on 2FM and the presenter may thank the engineering and technical staff - usually two or three at the Roadcaster and two or three back at base. Bigger Independents will have one on-site and one at base. Smaller local stations will have the presenter on-site self-op using remote access to playout and possibly even the desk (or they just have to turn off their mic at all other times). It may be the same in finance, sales, etc etc.

They would have higher transmission costs than TodayFM due to DAB, Saorview and Saorsat also, which will account for maybe five figures.

Prob for another thread but communicrop are running 5 stations on about 9.5 million each. I suspect that the two national station get more that Spin, Spin SW and 98fm. Both national stations are on satellite plus national broadcast on FM. Do communicorp provide DAB? https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/revenue-up-costs-down-at-communicorp-37560626.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭KildareP

Elmo wrote: »
    Prob for another thread but communicrop are running 5 stations on about 9.5 million each. I suspect that the two national station get more that Spin, Spin SW and 98fm. Both national stations are on satellite plus national broadcast on FM. Do communicorp provide DAB? https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/revenue-up-costs-down-at-communicorp-37560626.html

Those revenue figures include Communicorp UK's earnings through it's franchise agreement with Global Radio as well as its foreign Spin operations also though, hard to put a number on the amount of stations it truly reflects.

Also, Newstalk will weigh heavily into that, as a fair comparison against Newstalk, RTÉ Radio 1 cost €37.657m to run, of which €18.184m came from the license fee.

• Advertisement

Those revenue figures include Communicorp UK's earnings through it's franchise agreement with Global Radio as well as its foreign Spin operations also though, hard to put a number on the amount of stations it truly reflects.

Also, Newstalk will weigh heavily into that, as a fair comparison against Newstalk, RTÉ Radio 1 cost €37.657m to run, of which €18.184m came from the license fee.
    Two subsidiaries, Communicorp's UK operations and Appliances Delivered, were moved outside the group at the end of 2017, accounts show, and the filing also records the sale of its Bulgarian radio business in June this year, to local management.

I do agree I think it's extravagant for 2fm, While spend on Lyric another music station is just 6.2m.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,794 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Also, Newstalk will weigh heavily into that, as a fair comparison against Newstalk, RTRadio 1 cost €37.657m to run, of which €18.184m came from the license fee.

Newstalk also has significant income from providing overnight news reads and wire services for basically every other non RTE station in the country so their figures are really hard to compare to RTE ones. That service has its own costs to provide obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 29,074 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

It probably costs more to pay one or two 2fm presenters than to run an independent music station.

i'd very much doubt it. unless the independant station is a small local, and has 1 presenter and is 100% voice tracked.
    It makes no sense in this day and age why there's a need to have a government owned pop music radio station.

it makes perfect sense. state competition for the independants.
    look to bbc radio 1. possibly one of the greatist pop music stations. then compare it to the other big stations over there run by the independants. just no comparison, the bbc nationals wipe the floor with them.
    It's not 1985 any more.

that's not really relevant to anything though.
    It would be a fine purchase for a private entity.

even if that is the case, they wouldn't really be bying anything. the transmission network would stay with rtenl. all studio and staff would stay with rte. they might buy the brand but even then they could just as easily bring their own. and they would want to be offering something actually different for a vital national network to be used to carry their service which i'd very much doubt they would.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

even if that is the case, they wouldn't really be bying anything. the transmission network would stay with rtenl. all studio and staff would stay with rte. they might buy the brand but even then they could just as easily bring their own. and they would want to be offering something actually different for a vital national network to be used to carry their service which i'd very much doubt they would.

Brand and presenters are key, If they only bought 2FM or launched a new station it would be difficult, your buying goodwill. The BAI have no interested in a national station in the near future, unless its catholic and on saorview!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

So rumour has it 2fm are mad to get Doireann Garrihy on board. Herself & Jennifer Z seem to be the latest obsession. So maybe they'll have a show together?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭DopeTech

So rumour has it 2fm are mad to get Doireann Garrihy on board. Herself & Jennifer Z seem to be the latest obsession. So maybe they'll have a show together?

At this stage that wouldn't surprise me. Didn't come across very likable or comfortable on spin1038. Can't see her being much better on 2fm but they gave her the podge and Rodge gig, her own web series on the player so she probably is their flavor of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    At this stage that wouldn't surprise me. Didn't come across very likable or comfortable on spin1038. Can't see her being much better on 2fm but they gave her the podge and Rodge gig, her own web series on the player so she probably is their flavor of the month.

The Podge and Rodge show, and then they took the 'player' show to RTE 2...aka the dumping ground for wasted ideas.
    I don't know anyone that watched the 'Doirreann' project-but most don't watch RTE 2. It's Netflix, or Sky.

RTE2's an albatross at this stage. There's nothing on the darn thing that you won't see somewhere else-outside of the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Just looked her up, she 1 of 3 sisters who are social media influencers. One of them was in Fair City.
    RTE don't just scrap the bottom of the barrel, they are drilling into the wood casing.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

They’ll have a woman headling every show from 6am to 10pm bar game on and eoghan soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    They’ll have a woman headling every show from 6am to 10pm bar game on and eoghan soon.

Fixed that for you :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

If anyone is still listening, how are you finding McSharry on Nicky and Jenny’s slot?

To me, it’s like listening to a female version of Eoghan McDermott. Constantly offended by something and in SJW mode for the full 3 hours.

Whatever people thought of Nicky and Jenny, at least it was light-heartened for a few hours during the working day.

I’m at the stage now where I’m actually looking forward to Jennifer starting on that slot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Here's a suggestion for some radio DJs.... introduce a song, play the song, tell us what the song was... repeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Here's a suggestion for some radio DJs.... introduce a song, play the song, tell us what the song was... repeat.

That sounds like "1989 just called. It wants its banter-free DJs back".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Joslyn Obedient Shot-putter

Just looked her up, she 1 of 3 sisters who are social media influencers. One of them was in Fair City.
    RTE don't just scrap the bottom of the barrel, they are drilling into the wood casing.

She’s trying to do a podcast as well and Ian Dempsey is her godfather and helping her with getting ‘comedians’ for it .... why do they thinkninfluencers are now talented .... just noticed also she got her radio skills from the today fm class .... ugh

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

She’s trying to do a podcast as well and Ian Dempsey is her godfather and helping her with getting ‘comedians’ for it .... why do they thinkninfluencers are now talented .... just noticed also she got her radio skills from the today fm class .... ugh

Proof that Ian Dempsey is helping her get people for her podcast, please?

Or are you just using the link to assume it's the case, despite the fact that Doireann has her own profile?

Some right sad bastards on this forum making assumptions about people they have no idea about to make themselves sound 'edgy'.

Toxic cesspit of a forum.

Yeah keep telling yourself you that , as if she came out of college with a media degree and no relatives involved in the media shed be netting these opportunities... yeah if I, or joe bloggs off the street start a podcast fat chance I’ll /joe will get Dempsey , the baz fella from 50 ways to kill your mammy etc.

Bet you think Lottie Ryan and others got her / their job in rte on her/their talent/ability/experience and college background And not her/their family

Yeah keep telling yourself you that , as if she came out of college with a media degree and no relatives involved in the media shed be netting these opportunities... yeah if I, or joe bloggs off the street start a podcast fat chance I’ll /joe will get Dempsey , the baz fella from 50 ways to kill your mammy etc.

Bet you think Lottie Ryan and others got her / their job in rte on her/their talent/ability/experience and college background And not her/their family

So to make it very clear. You've absolutely no proof and everything you say is just bluster?

Why doesn't she have her own weekday slot on TodayFM if Iano's giving her such a dig out? Or even when she was on SPIN? She had to share a show with someone else. Surely uncle Iano could have sorted that out for her? And heaven forbid Iano's god-daughter wouldn't be allowed in AA Roadwatch.

You're chatting absolute bollocks all in the name of begrudgery. You don't like her, great, but she's out there working to make a name for herself while you sit at your computer, scratch your arse and bitch about how people are getting opportunities?

Lottie Ryan went straight into RTE, Doireann Garrihy didn't. What point are you trying to make here because the two aren't comparable in the slightest.

Faugheen wrote: »
    So to make it very clear. You've absolutely no proof and everything you say is just bluster?

Why doesn't she have her own weekday slot on TodayFM if Iano's giving her such a dig out? Or even when she was on SPIN? She had to share a show with someone else. Surely uncle Iano could have sorted that out for her? And heaven forbid Iano's god-daughter wouldn't be allowed in AA Roadwatch.

You're chatting absolute bollocks all in the name of begrudgery. You don't like her, great, but she's out there working to make a name for herself while you sit at your computer, scratch your arse and bitch about how people are getting opportunities?

Lottie Ryan went straight into RTE, Doireann Garrihy didn't. What point are you trying to make here because the two aren't comparable in the slightest.

Yawn begrudgery - that tired old trope, money from the licence fee to keep poor quality talent in a job... probably have some vested interest in her or Rte or your one of the acolyte twitter followers .... spin is part of the Communicorp/Dennis o brien group /umbrella is it not hmmph seems like a leg up thanks to ian and she has a sister who pops up on rte shows which would give her a leg up over a person out of media college course .. ..and the point is rte barely give any opportunity to someone whose not a relative to someone in there or a reality show contestant or a famous sports star,.and they keep giving the same faces show after show, not just her , Amy huberman, Jenifer magiire and many more who’ve been metioned
    Why doesn’t rte advertise roles/vacancies for these roles rather than giving the same faces a shot... and they use the laughable excuse to justify their fat contracts that bbc or someone in America will snap them up . Yeah I’ll see naguire/gahirty/ Ryan/Bernard o Shea/tubbirdy etc in high demand in uk/USA

FYI Ian plugs her shows constantly

Yawn begrudgery - that tired old trope, money from the licence fee to keep poor quality talent in a job... probably have some vested interest in her or Rte or your one of the acolyte twitter followers .... spin is part of the Communicorp/Dennis o brien group /umbrella is it not hmmph seems like a leg up thanks to ian and she has a sister who pops up on rte shows which would give her a leg up over a person out of media college course .. ..and the point is rte barely give any opportunity to someone whose not a relative to someone in there or a reality show contestant or a famous sports star,.and they keep giving the same faces show after show, not just her , Amy huberman, Jenifer magiire and many more who’ve been metioned
    Why doesn’t rte advertise roles/vacancies for these roles rather than giving the same faces a shot... and they use the laughable excuse to justify their fat contracts that bbc or someone in America will snap them up . Yeah I’ll see naguire/gahirty/ Ryan/Bernard o Shea/tubbirdy etc in high demand in uk/USA

FYI Ian plugs her shows constantly

Says it's not begrudgery - proceeds to keep posting with absolutely zero proof for the sake of having a go.

Enjoy your sad and lonely life.

• Advertisement

Faugheen wrote: »
    Says it's not begrudgery - proceeds to keep posting with absolutely zero proof for the sake of having a go.

Enjoy your sad and lonely life.

Bye hope she sees you coming to her rescue and you get that retweet off her

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement