Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes at 2FM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Areas

I've listened in every now and again to the breakfast show and I'm finding it very irritating. It seems to be 90% Doireann talking about how "unusual" her name is and how NO ONE can pronounce it. Yawn

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Areas wrote: »
    I've listened in every now and again to the breakfast show and I'm finding it very irritating. It seems to be 90% Doireann talking about how "unusual" her name is and how NO ONE can pronounce it. Yawn

Round here we just call her annoying-easier to spell. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

Mc Dermott was awful in the evenings so can only assume he still is awful on the breakfast show, I won't be listening to him and your one whoever she is, was she on AA roadwatch once?

Only good thing about the new schedule is Jenny Greene back in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

Fair play to Dan Healy for putting Jenny Greene on air in the evenings, the tunes she plays are awesome,the only problem is you feel like heading out after listening to her show, haha, such a difference compared to that gimp she replaced, he was horrendous compared to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Areas

Loved listening to Jenny Greene last night, the tunes she was playing were amazing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Areas wrote: »
    Loved listening to Jenny Greene last night, the tunes she was playing were amazing!

Any examples or was it the normal 2fm playlist?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Any examples or was it the normal 2fm playlist?

Went from 90s dance classics to Muse to Chemical Brothers to Blur for the last half an hour at least. I think today from 5pm to 6pm will be pure dance, similar to Club Sandwich.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I'll go out on a limb here and hazard a guess the majority slating it aren't the target audience. I think the show brings back the style of show not seen in morning radio, designed for youth, for a long time.

We'll see what the ratings say to truly know if it's worked or not.

Sully wrote: »
    I'll go out on a limb here and hazard a guess the majority slating it aren't the target audience. I think the show brings back the style of show not seen in morning radio, designed for youth, for a long time.

We'll see what the ratings say to truly know if it's worked or not.

It's less the 'youth' and more 'the yoof'. I mean, Doirreann's had two shows, so far, that have failed. (Her Doireann project went from RTE player, to RTE 2, back to the player. And Podge and Rodge's 'return' was axed because of low ratings).
    She's being pushed on folks in a similar manner to Lottie Ryan. She doesn't have that spark that's needed for the type of gigs she's pursuing. RTE have bet big on presenters in the past, before cutting em loose. (Laura Woods, Aidan Power, pretty much the entirety of the Rte 2 presenters they've had over the years).

I think most folks have a spotify list, or podcast,or anything that means they don't have to listen to the radio. It's all about playing the songs 'you' want to hear, not what the station tells you you want to hear.
    Or listen to a guy who's been going through puberty for the longest time, and virtue signals at every opportunity.

Nobody wants to go anywhere angry or irritated, and that's all Eoghan does.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Sully wrote: »
    I think the show brings back the style of show not seen in morning radio, designed for youth, for a long time.

Seem much like other morning shows on other stations to me.

One issue I have is that we must applaud 2FM for their turn around and the awesomeness of there boss. Not that the six million or so that they get from the license fee hasn’t helped that small recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I listened to one of those 40th anniversary celebration shows on radio recently. It failed to convince me as to why there is a need for a national youth radio station these days. There certainly was a need for it back in 1979 and for the next decade or so. Now that there are umpteen radio stations in Ireland, what is 2FM for? Other than for being a financial windfall for the people lucky enough to get a job here. It's a needless gravy train catering for a saturated market.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I listened to one of those 40th anniversary celebration shows on radio recently. It failed to convince me as to why there is a need for a national youth radio station these days. There certainly was a need for it back in 1979 and for the next decade or so. Now that there are umpteen radio stations in Ireland, what is 2FM for? Other than for being a financial windfall for the people lucky enough to get a job here. It's a needless gravy train catering for a saturated market.

My hope is that 2fm could actually break away from the utter blandness that is most commercial radio. 2fm should be like BBC radio 1 and if 2fm did something even remotely similar to that they would move away from being lumped together with that disaster of a radio station Today fm. It's one of the reasons I don't listen to Irish radio as much as I did and listened to a lot of it. I saw my favourite station in today fm decide it seems to on purpose destroy the good thing they had going for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

My hope is that 2fm could actually break away from the utter blandness that is most commercial radio. 2fm should be like BBC radio 1 and if 2fm did something even remotely similar to that they would move away from being lumped together with that disaster of a radio station Today fm. It's one of the reasons I don't listen to Irish radio as much as I did and listened to a lot of it. I saw my favourite station in today fm decide it seems to on purpose destroy the good thing they had going for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,152 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

The " music" of today is a major factor in radio stations being so bad.throw in a few bland presenters and its a receipe for total crap.I used to love listening to 2fm and Today fm,but not anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

iseegirls wrote: »
    Went from 90s dance classics to Muse to Chemical Brothers to Blur for the last half an hour at least. I think today from 5pm to 6pm will be pure dance, similar to Club Sandwich.

Found her on by accident one day last week and couldn't turn it over again. Best afternoon radio I've heard in ages - pure music by someone who knows their stuff. I'll be listening to her again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

Genuinely don’t get the hate for eoghan McDermott. I really liked his drivetime show and I was commuting so listened a lot. Not sure why they had to change whole schedule when Nicky left though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

fits wrote: »
    Genuinely don’t get the hate for eoghan McDermott. I really liked his drivetime show and I was commuting so listened a lot. Not sure why they had to change whole schedule when Nicky left though.

The most annoying person on the air, Nicky was poor also...

Jenny left but they seen the mistake letting her go and now look at her.... I find her great but hated the terrible fake laugh put on for Nicky....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

His show was in a similar vein to Ray Foley, not universally loved either, throw in the political stuff in on top of that and you've a fairly potent mix, and that's before we get to Picture This!

I had the same hate for him initially, heard bits and pieces over time and thought he's actually good, I've heard him cover serious topics like alcoholism and depression and do a pretty good job at it, him, Adam and Aifric had a good chemistry and Mark Stern was good at giving a brief nuanced summary of goings on in America, Chris Wasser never held any punches on movies and The Brainiac was good fun, I do miss those regular features.

I don't listen to radio in the morning and nothing personal to Jenny Greene, but I've no interest in listening to her, Breakfast Republic and McDermott were doing well in the JNLRs, if this new line-up tanks, Healy will probably be on his way out of there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 rochemedia

For me its this type of ****e: -
    Hi Darren. With the greatest of respect, I’ve never heard your show and the comp is completely different. Happy to change the name if it’s upsetting you. Peace

Followed by: -
    Brainstormed at a round table last week infact. The civil approach is just as effective as a bravado twitter callout, particularly given you didn't listen before doing so and the competition is different. Positive vibes and consider the name changed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Passive aggressive knobhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

& yet despite all his attempted moral high ground spluttering, they in fact didn't change it this morning......instead regaling as to how they came up with the name just last week & how chuffed Doireann was with herself about it :rolleyes:

What's next on 2fm breakfast - The Chase / Catchphrase / Who Wants to be a millionaire?

Pulse8 wrote: »
    & yet despite all his attempted moral high ground spluttering, they in fact didn't change it this morning......instead regaling as to how they came up with the name just last week & how chuffed Doireann was with herself about it :rolleyes:

What's next on 2fm breakfast - The Chase / Catchphrase / Who Wants to be a millionaire?

Dear God, he wanted everyone to kowtow to his whims with Fairytale of New York and the 'scumbag, you maggot, you cheap lousy f***ot' line. but stealing from a competitor and then being a passive aggressive jerk about it all is the exact kind of thing you expect from Eoghann.

He's not just a bad radio presenter, he's a bad person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Radio Radio

I don't understand why there isn't national outrage at the fact that 2fm got 6.7 million from the licence fee last year. That means 2fm now gets more from the licence fee than RTE lyric does. Source www.independent.ie/business/irish/samantha-mccaughren-rt-radio-station-2fm-turns-the-dial-back-to-talk-radio-38077470.html

I don't understand why there isn't national outrage at the fact that 2fm got 6.7 million from the licence fee last year. That means 2fm now gets more from the licence fee than RTE lyric does. Source www.independent.ie/business/irish/samantha-mccaughren-rt-radio-station-2fm-turns-the-dial-back-to-talk-radio-38077470.html

Mentioned it a few times, hard to get people pushed about it. Said it at a conference recently when someone point to the 30million hole in RTÉ budget, told the speaker that RTÉ had inflected further cuts such as an €6m to 2fm, €3m extra to imported programming and €6m to their corporate HQ at least €15m moved from programme making to areas that took no cuts. But sure you may as well be talking to a wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Radio Radio

The bloatedness of 2fm is staggering, E.G 11 presenters arcoss the day on a Saturday whereas Today FM manage fine with 5 presenters on a Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Is Tara Stewart permanent in the 7-10pm slot or is she just maternity cover for Louise McSharry?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭its_steve116

flazio wrote: »
    Is Tara Stewart permanent in the 7-10pm slot or is she just maternity cover for Louise McSharry?

She's permanent but Louise will be getting a new show in the Autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭DopeTech

She's permanent but Louise will be getting a new show in the Autumn.

Bet she'll replace fanning. She said it won't be evenings.

• Advertisement

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    Bet she'll replace fanning. She said it won't be evenings.

Oh God I hope not. Can't stand McSharry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement