Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes at 2FM

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

Didn't 2fm once have a slogan that went "More music, less talk". Or was it one of the other stations?

I think that's been the slogan of pretty much every so called music station in the country for the last 20 years and it's mainly been false advertising.

Didn't 2fm once have a slogan that went "More music, less talk". Or was it one of the other stations?
    Pretty sure that was indeed 2FM, but wasn't that years and years ago? (Maybe 10 years?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Pretty sure that was indeed 2FM, but wasn't that years and years ago? (Maybe 10 years?)

never was 2fm. likely Q102 Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

never was 2fm. likely Q102 Dublin

It could have been 2fm as they don't have the News and Current Affairs content requirements that other stations do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

It definitely wasn't Q102 because I've never listened to it in my life. It was either 2FM or one of the big two Dublin stations in the 1990s when I was at uni. I had a feeling it was 2fm but now I'm not so sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Well, radio stations usually get paid for certain tracks, and music promotion.

Anything received from labels is in kind not cash. And it hasn't got that huge an influence now that there's a much smaller range of record labels.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭jimmymack

Rick James on Jenny Greene's show today :eek: :cool: the music on the station wasn't half bad today actually, for once!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

L1011 wrote: »
    Anything received from labels is in kind not cash. And it hasn't got that huge an influence now that there's a much smaller range of record labels.

Well, they receive the music-but then are given financial incentives to play it at specific times, where there is a large audience and thus greater chance of sales.
    They want their acts music heard by the most people. Whether it's the early breakfast, or the drive home.
    It's quite interesting if you read up on it-some of it can be 'play our artist during this time slot, and we can arrange for him/her to come on your station' to the more scurrilous stuff of 'we'll pay your rent'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

And you a mod on the radio forum!!!!! :eek::rolleyes:;):D

More music, less talk was a Q102 strap line from around 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I tuned in to 2FM yesterday..

Not sure who was on instead of Jennifer - a guy and a girl.

It was good radio - chatting about gigs and making fun of Nile Rogers playing Ireland all the time.

Then tuned in again later to Jenny Greene - again good radio - distinctive voice, show and some good music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Well, they receive the music-but then are given financial incentives to play it at specific times, where there is a large audience and thus greater chance of sales.
    They want their acts music heard by the most people. Whether it's the early breakfast, or the drive home.
    It's quite interesting if you read up on it-some of it can be 'play our artist during this time slot, and we can arrange for him/her to come on your station' to the more scurrilous stuff of 'we'll pay your rent'.

You appear to be reading content from a different country.

There is absolutely no history of financial incentives to play here. Gig tickets, artist appearances (non-existent outside Dublin normally) and gig packages (tickets, flights, spending money for a winner) are about all you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Keith Walsh's new show I heard for the first time today, he is on 4-6pm on weekends now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Talking through your hoop in terms of financial incentives. Have a Google for 'Payola' and educate yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Keith Walsh's new show I heard for the first time today, he is on 4-6pm on weekends now.

Was it any good?

Was it any good?

Pretty good! He played Idles who you don't hear on 2FM often.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

I listened to Keith Walsh on Saturday & his show was very good, I also listened to Jenny Greene at 3pm for the first time today, her new show is great

• Registered Users Posts: 39,936 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

In fairness Keith Walsh has been a good radio presenter before his time in 2fm. The breakfast republic show never suited him IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    In fairness Keith Walsh has been a good radio presenter before his time in 2fm. The breakfast republic show never suited him IMO.

He would have got the 3pm-6pm slot that Jenny Greene has only that there was such a backlash towards Dan Healy over losing her.

He had to bring her back, fair play to her for standing her ground & telling Dan she was not doing evenings.

Keith Walsh is doing Risin' Time (RTÉ Radio 1) this week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Christ above!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Red Fred

It seems that RTE will let anybody who happens to be around "have a go" at presenting Late Date, Risin' Time or The Weekend on One.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Lottie Ryan's whole entertainment segment at 10am was discussing, in great detail, Gemma Collins scratching her nether regions and forcing an assistant to smell her paw after. Even Jen Zamparelli was disgusted. It really is gutter radio.

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Lottie Ryan's whole entertainment segment at 10am was discussing, in great detail, Gemma Collins scratching her nether regions and forcing an assistant to smell her paw after. Even Jen Zamparelli was disgusted. It really is gutter radio.

Gemma will do anything for attention

That's what I pay my licence fee for alright. Ask for more money again there, Dee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Surely there has to come a time when they question what Lottie Ryan brings to the station? Does any other station even have entertainment updates on the hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Joslyn Obedient Shot-putter

Surely there has to come a time when they question what Lottie Ryan brings to the station? Does any other station even have entertainment updates on the hour?

why does RTE still think it owes Gerry something still...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Gemma will do anything for attention

As will Lottie, as will JEnnifer Zamperelli, as will... tbh, pretty much most of RTE. It's controlled attention, unlike, say, that time Baz Ashmawy got caught drink driving, and crashed his 100 grand car. Or dodgy financial dealings (too many names fit under that title).
    why does RTE still think it owes Gerry something still...

His drug habit kept RTe's crime division employed for decades. It was like how Gay Byrne's Late Late Show pretty much covered all of RTE's bills.
    Soon as Gay stepped down, the license fee started to go up.

Very quiet departure here but DJ Tando has relocated to Switzerland, he has been replaced on the Friday night show by a guy called DJ Wax.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

Your wan that is known for telling us about broken down cars and long delays is horrendous in the morning, she nearly (nearly) makes her colleague seem less than awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

they are really pushing Doireann and Eoghan, they were hilarious on ROT, did you see them, I laughed!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement