Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes at 2FM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭maniac2003

I heard the breakfast show this morning, I thought it was a local pop up for transition year students it was that bad, painful to listen to

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭its_steve116

maniac2003 wrote: »
    I heard the breakfast show this morning, I thought it was a local pop up for transition year students it was that bad, painful to listen to

That rugby dude from Loveland is covering it at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

That rugby dude from Loveland is covering it at the moment

He deserves that gig, considering the many years of radio and mobile/club DJ'ing experience and hard times that he has under his belt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭maniac2003

He deserves that gig, considering the many years of radio and mobile/club DJ'ing experience and hard times that he has under his belt :D

He does not come across well, other lady too shouty for that time of the morning

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

other lady too shouty for that time of the morning

that what happens when you hire people who didn't have a career in Radio DJ'ing.

• Advertisement

He does not come across well, other lady too shouty for that time of the morning

are you expecting this fool to come across well??.
    why are his low standards being discussed here?

just like a man on taken off the street with no radio experience, he should not be on the radio, never mind being on what is supposed to be the 'key, big, shop window' show on the national broadcaster !!
    Shame on RTE and an insult to former 2FM breakfast show presenters and anyone who has tried to get into radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

are you expecting this fool to come across well??.
    why are his low standards being discussed here?

just like a man on taken off the street with no radio experience, he should not be on the radio, never mind being on what is supposed to be the 'key, big, shop window' show on the national broadcaster !!
    Shame on RTE and an insult to former 2FM breakfast show presenters and anyone who has tried to get into radio.

For the reason you outline. IMO the number of comments on his hosting of the show, shows how few people are tuning in, I read 3 reports all of which quote about 3-5 comments on Twitter as to how bad he was. Any other views online from currently happy listeners?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

As long as that one that used be on AA roadwatch is with him I have no notion of tuning in to give him a chance, can he be any worse than what he replaced though??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Looks like Tara Stewart has lost an hour to Game On. They've announced a new line up and an extension to the show.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

flazio wrote: »
    Looks like Tara Stewart has lost an hour to Game On. They've announced a new line up and an extension to the show.

I just don’t get Game On, on 2fm it doesn’t fit. It should be more Newstalk or Radio 1.

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote: »
    I just don’t get Game On, on 2fm it doesn’t fit. It should be more Newstalk or Radio 1.

There is nowhere else for RTE to put it on FM.

It didn't work on RTE Radio 1, when it was part of Drivetime.
    It would mean moving Arena from 7pm or back to what it was as part of Drivetime.

There is nowhere else for RTE to put it on FM.

It didn't work on RTE Radio 1, when it was part of Drivetime.
    It would mean moving Arena from 7pm or back to what it was as part of Drivetime.
    I don't think Arena can be touched. From midnight to midnight, it's arguably the only programme that RTE Radio broadcasts (excluding An Nuacht) that justifies its national broadcaster status -- everything else is covered by private stations.

Btw I like. Arena, so this isn't a criticism. If anything, we need more programming like Arena of cultural importance -- history broadcasts are especially lacking. Irish language broadcasting is practically ignored on Radio 1, aside from 3-daily news bulletins.

It's true about Game On..new extended show started tonight

https://www.rte.ie/sport/other-sport/2019/0930/1079193-ruby-walsh-and-donncha-ocallaghan-join-2-hour-game-on/

Another fuppin' woman fronting a show on weekday 2FM...seriously where is this going to stop?.
    2FM couldn't just leave Game On alone!!
    It got away without being axed..it will defo. be axed now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Extending the show later, ok. Having it start at 6pm, nuts.

I'm guessing with the popularity of brands such as Second Captains and Off the Ball that 2fm feel there's more money to be made in Sports advertising then in music shows

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Conor84

SJW Collective Statement On Changes at 2FM

We are utterly appalled and offended at the latest changes at 2FM which sees 50% of the population excluded from the airwaves between 9am and 10pm. This is a disgraceful indictment of the station for failing to harness the talent of the always forgotten, undervalued and overlooked section of the population.

One gender has always been overlooked in this male dominated society in which we are forced to exist. Clearly those in place in the schedule are there purely because of the failure of society to recognise true talent of the discriminated sex and in no way reflect the diversity and plurality of talent that those who are constantly excluded from broadcast media clearly have.

Having broadcast schedules dominated by one sex is abhorrent and reflects badly on every aspect of our society. It proves once again that the voices of the oppressed 50% society must be heard even louder as the battle goes on for true equality between the sexes.

We call on all those offended and most importantly those not offended but who should be offended by this outrage to assemble for a sustainable protest march in the coming days.

Updated Statement from SJW Collective Statement On Changes at 2FM

We applaud and welcome the latest changes at 2FM which sees an all female schedule of broadcasters on the station between 9am and 10pm. This is a progressive and welcome development and shows that organisations can promote the talent of the always forgotten, undervalued and overlooked female members of society..

What this development clearly shows that one sex is clearly the most talented and has achieved its rightful place across the schedule. These women have worked tirelessly in a male dominated society and have battled through the obvious discrimination that women face in this male dominated society. There is no place for any suggestion that these talented woman have not achieved their places in the schedule on true merit. The hope is that a whole new generation of talented female presenters will eventually replace them in the schedule to maintain this progressive and modern schedule.

Despite this welcome development we continue to be utterly appalled and offended at the lack of a diverse mix of women in the 2FM schedule. We are devastated that grossly underrepresented and marginalised female broadcasters such as female members of the travelling community and new Irish of colour are still obviously absent from the schedule. This is a disgraceful indictment of the station for failing to harness the talent of the always forgotten, undervalued and overlooked section of the population.

It is also highly disappointing that 2 new contributors to the Game On programme are obviously male. There are a plethora of female and non binary individuals who could easily have fulfilled the roles now taken by Ruby Walsh and Donnacha O’Callaghan. The fact that the schedule between 9am and 10pm is entirely made up of female broadcasters shows that female broadcasters are the most talented and in demand by the audience today. The failure of any of these 2 contributors to be non male underlines the continued male dominated broadcasting world, the absence of sufficient female role models and the importance to fight for increased equality.

I'm guessing with the popularity of brands such as Second Captains and Off the Ball that 2fm feel there's more money to be made in Sports advertising then in music shows

They have DAB stations and LW. It doesn't make sense for the Head of News to suggest that News doesn't fit with 2fm at night because of its market and demographic, and then have the head of sport putting in 2 hours of talking head sports programming.

Elmo wrote: »
    They have DAB stations and LW. It doesn't make sense for the Head of News to suggest that News doesn't fit with 2fm at night because of its market and demographic, and then have the head of sport putting in 2 hours of talking head sports programming.
    Ah does it not make sense? Most 16 - 32 year olds (well, guys, anyway) have some interest in sport.
    But most of the same demographic probably don't know the name of Minister for Agriculture, or what a tracker mortgage is.
    It makes way more sense for a station with 2FM's target audience to broadcast sports programming than current news, history, investment & pensions advice or anything else that simply doesn't tend to interest younger listeners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Seaman Duck

God only knows how they'll shoehorn Mcsharry back into the schedule.

God only knows how they'll shoehorn Mcsharry back into the schedule.

do they need to?:confused:

• Advertisement

Ah does it not make sense? Most 16 - 32 year olds (well, guys, anyway) have some interest in sport.
    But most of the same demographic probably don't know the name of Minister for Agriculture, or what a tracker mortgage is.
    It makes way more sense for a station with 2FM's target audience to broadcast sports programming than current news, history, investment & pensions advice or anything else that simply doesn't tend to interest younger listeners.

I am just talking 5minutes of news on the hour, and as a so called public service broadcaster etc

Elmo wrote: »
    I am just talking 5minutes of news on the hour, and as a so called public service broadcaster etc

That's a reasonable request alright. Sorry, I thought you were talking about 2 hours news vs 2 hours current affairs.

If we're going to go down this road, it's worth once again asking the oft-put question, what on earth does a public broadcaster mean when it broadcasts current pop music, at a financial loss? Often asked, never answered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Had the misfortune of hearing 'the rap hour' which is about an hour too long.
    Is there really any need or demand for this and nonsense such as grime (a 'social blight' import from Ldn).

Unless Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five make a comback,
    it's largely phiss poor shouty-shouty about wannabe-g's, hoes and bling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Had the misfortune of hearing 'the rap hour' which is about an hour too long.
    Is there really any need or demand for this and nonsense such as grime (a 'social blight' import from Ldn).

Unless Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five make a comback,
    it's largely phiss poor shouty-shouty about wannabe-g's, hoes and bling.

That and 'mumble rap'... I HATE that. In national school, they gave us crap for not being able to enunciate...

These are 20 something year olds who mumble thru the whole song.

They finally found somewhere to put Louise McSharry, from this time next week, she'll do Saturday and Sunday morning 9 to 11, Chris and Ciara stay on 11 to 1, Dave Fanning now comes in 1pm to 3, Stephen Byrne 3 to 5 and Keith Walsh 5 to 7pm.

They finally found somewhere to put Louise McSharry,

As I said before here, did they really need to take her back? Is she an RTE staffer?

As I said before here, did they really need to take her back? Is she an RTE staffer?

It'd look bad for the station if they just sacked her while she was out on maternity leave.

simply just let her contract expire and not renew? they are just creating a slot that's not required. guess they just want to increase even more the females on the station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Long_Wave

That looks like a schedule from the John McMahon era of 2fm. 2 hours for everybody in the canteen.

• Advertisement

so is electric disco 7 to 9?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement