Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes at 2FM

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Moon_shoes

I wonder how much (that was considered for too low a price) were they offered for the RTE guide magazine ? They had announced it for sale in November but it was taken of the market by Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Elmo wrote: »

@ButtersSuki are you saying that RTÉ are insuring no cuts to 2FM what-so-ever?

No, I'm just saying that the very strong impression I've gotten from those I know in RTE is that they're fed up of being "attacked" (as they see it) all the time and won't be giving up anything easily. I do see them becoming more "militant" in their defences recently though.

These individuals do however think 2fm is super-cool, right-on and down with the kidz and seriously believe it's performing no matter how much you argue the point with them so they're coming from a place of inherent bias.

I have a lot of contact with what should be the core of their target market through some part-time work I do lecturing in a university in Dublin. From the discussions I've had with those students, very few, if any listen to 2fm. They see it as old, staid, boring, tired, cliched, and not for them. They mosty listen to podcasts and streaming services, but when they do listen to radio it tends to be Spin1038.

Now maybe they're capturing more share "down the country", but clearly they're struggling in the capital. I haven't looked at the JNLRs for 2fm in a long time as I wouldn't be advertising on that channel anyway, but the place is a shambles.

Also, and maybe this is just the cohort I engage with, they seem unified in ther opinion that Woke McDermott is a complete tool - so there is hope for the future generation after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭irs

I think 2fm's numbers are strongest in Cork, weakest in Dublin and in between everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

irs wrote: »
    I think 2fm's numbers are strongest in Cork, weakest in Dublin and in between everywhere else.

I’m not surprised it’s doing well in Cork. Today fms music has dropped a lot and gotten repetitive. Red fm is a shambles. 96 is 96 nothing edgy or new on it. 2 fm offers a good bit of variety and some great music and features. Granted my opinion is largely based on weekdays listening but even Mo K, Dj Wax, JJ/Jenny Greene at the weekends are miles better then anything the rest have have bar Dec Pierces Block Rockin Beats

The worst thing about RTE has always been the brazen arrogance that comes from them. They don't have an easy job but they always give off the impression that everyone else is an idiot who should be grateful to them for "entertaining" and "informing" the people. This makes it more difficult to have a station that can genuinely appeal to young people who will mostly see anything linked to RTE as lame. The regional youth stations have a huge amount of that audience covered. The young people who aren't into what Spin/iRadio etc are doing are too fractured in musical interests to give a station a solid base.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Why does a radio station have to concentrate on just one age category all the time, why can't the programmes adjust? I don't see why one station can't entertain the woke generation on weekday mornings and the dad rockers on weekend afternoons for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

flazio wrote: »
    Why does a radio station have to concentrate on just one age category all the time, why can't the programmes adjust? I don't see why one station can't entertain the woke generation on weekday mornings and the dad rockers on weekend afternoons for example.

The people you're not targetting at a given time switch over

L1011 wrote: »
    The people you're not targetting at a given time switch over

True, but in a dynamic environment they also switch-to.

I listen to Morning Ireland when I wake up, switch to Today on BBC4 at 8.30, and generally have the radio off until 10am when I turn on Pat Kenny (figuratively speaking). I turn the radio off for a while and listen to the end of the RTE News at One or Joe Duffy to find out what's happening, and listen to PM on the BBC or Drivetime or Newstak depending on what's happening.

If you're musically (not news) inclined, I'd imagine you'd be similarly promiscuous with your loyalties.

So I see flazio's point. 2fm needn't commit itself to one narrow demographic. It takes no more than a few seconds to open an app and switch stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

90s day today.
    Playing 90s songs for charity.
    Any chance they could keep it that way and bring back the 90s presenters?

I tuned in only briefly today 3 times and coincidentally each time they were playing Jamiroquai ??? - who is rarely played on any station these days.
    Whoever programmed the music today is obviously a fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

What show was Keith doing the last while?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

ILikeBoats wrote: »

Weekends, is he leaving RTÉ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

That's a pity, he was a good laugh and didn't take himself too seriously (at least that's the impression I got).

He was good on RTE Gold.

I guess the fact he is going and that Zampadoodle has her own show in a prime slot says everything I need to know about 2FM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Double O Seven

ILikeBoats wrote: »

Saturday and Sunday evening 5 till 7

I'm not sure of keith walsh's age (45 / 46 ???) , but he was up there as one of the oldest on the schedule - the current (excluding non syndicated weekend Dance presenters) ages of 2FM presenters on the current schedule, starting from the oldest:

1. Dave Fanning (64)
    2. Mr Spring (49)
    3. Dan Hegarty (44 ??)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

I'm not sure of keith walsh's age (45 / 46 ???) , but he was up there as one of the oldest on the schedule - the current (excluding non syndicated weekend Dance presenters) ages of 2FM presenters on the current schedule, starting from the oldest:

1. Dave Fanning (64)
    2. Mr Spring (49)
    3. Dan Hegarty (44 ??)
    4. McDermot (37)
    5. Lottie (34)
    6. Stephen Byrne (30) must be one of the youngest? Bearing in mind 2fm is the youth station that's a fairly grey looking line up.

PieOhMy wrote: »
    4. McDermot (37)
    5. Lottie (34)
    6. Stephen Byrne (30) must be one of the youngest? Bearing in mind 2fm is the youth station that's a fairly grey looking line up.

most of the presenters are in their 30s, so your list could include around 8 / 10 other presenters in that age range.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Would Keith Walsh be leaving radio completely and going into some non-radio private sector job? That's what his old mate from a few different radio stations did - Joe Donnelly. He left Today FM, as a producer and stand-in presenter, to be Marketing Manager for Rascals Brewing Company. Keith co-presented shows with Joe on Phoenix Radio (community station), Phantom FM (as a pirate), Spin103 and, some years later, licensed Phantom FM. Keith Walsh joined the latter as Programming Director, before being reunited some months later with Joe Donnelly.

In December 2013, Keith Walsh left Phantom initially (or officially) on holidays before being announced in February 2014 as part of the lineup for the new 2FM breakfast show Banana Republic. The other co-hosts were Jennifer Maguire (as she was then) and Bernard O'Shea. Keith had previously worked with Bernard O'Shea on iRadio, while Bernard was working with Jennifer on tv. Meanwhile, that March, Phantom was relaunched as TXFM in what proved to be it's last throw of the dice. Good timing by Keith! Joe Donnelly stayed with TXFM until it's very end in October 2016.

most of the presenters are in their 30s, so your list could include around 8 / 10 other presenters in that age range.
    Tracy Clifford is is 40

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

1. Dave Fanning (64)
    2. Mr Spring (49)
    3. Dan Hegarty (44 ??)
    PieOhMy wrote: »
    4. McDermot (37)
    5. Lottie (34)
    Tracy Clifford is is 40

So (leaving out Keith Walsh):
    1. Dave Fanning (64)
    2. Mr Spring (49)
    3. Cormac Battle (48) - you all forgot about him!
    4. Dan Hegarty (44 ??
    5. Jennifer Zamparelli (40) - you forgot about her!
    6. Tracy Clifford (39) - she does not turn 40 until November, based on an article when she was about to celebrate her 35th in 2015!
    7. Eoghan McDermott (37)

I'll leave it there as there may be others older than Lotte Ryan at 34, never mind Stephen Byrne at 30!

• Advertisement

What's with all the ageism here?

No ageism....no need for an explanation, but here goes:
    It is just an anorak list of the oldest presenters on the national youth station, as Keith Walsh was within that category.

When Scott Mills (46) leaves BBC radio 1 there will probably be a similar topic discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Joslyn Obedient Shot-putter

pushing themselves as the youth station - most of them - in particular McDermott (a river island catelogue threw up on him) come off as desperate to hold on to their college years ...do late 30's plus get the teenage market (and none of them are "cool" enough to pull attention away from spotify etc)

Not seen them as RTÉs youth station for a while. Nor have I seen or heard any marketing that claims they are targeting youth only. I just see it as Radio 1 talks and 2fm plays music and Lyric does classical.
    Their current slogan is "Sound of the nation" not sound of the youth/gen z / broke teenagers, the nation. Not saying it's a successful slogan, mind. But it's indicative of who their target are, anyone of the nation who care to listen.

Not seen them as RTÉs youth station for a while. Nor have I seen or heard any marketing that claims they are targeting youth only. I just see it as Radio 1 talks and 2fm plays music and Lyric does classical.
    Their current slogan is "Sound of the nation" not sound of the youth/gen z / broke teenagers, the nation. Not saying it's a successful slogan, mind. But it's indicative of who their target are, anyone of the nation who care to listen.

About 4 or 5 years ago they got rid of most of their older djs (Colm Hayes, Ruth Scott, Will Leahy, Rick O'Shea, Hector and I'm sure a few others) and banned all music from pre 2000 in order to "win back" the youth. They may well have changed strategy since, as RTE are notorious for starting something and then losing interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭bureau2009

2fm "Sound of the nation"?

For that to be the case 2fm would need talented presenters who can speak English properly, talented producers with innovative ideas and a strong music policy.

None of that is in place.

"Sound of the nation"?

Only as a wild fantasy in the head of 2fm's PR company.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

No ageism....no need for an explanation, but here goes:
    It is just an anorak list of the oldest presenters on the national youth station, as Keith Walsh was within that category.

When Scott Mills (46) leaves BBC radio 1 there will probably be a similar topic discussed.

National youth station :D

You should be sent to hospitals to give people laughing therapies.

Seriously though, have we all moved to North Korea. :confused:

2fm is a music based nationwide radio station.

I don't understand why you're bringing the BBC into it.

2fm's music policy and presentation style is clearly aimed at a young audience but it's one that's ageing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

pushing themselves as the youth station - most of them - in particular McDermott (a river island catelogue threw up on him) come off as desperate to hold on to their college years ...do late 30's plus get the teenage market (and none of them are "cool" enough to pull attention away from spotify etc)

That didn't work out too well for Marty Guilfoyle living with 18/19 year olds in the Tik Tok house!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

That didn't work out too well for Marty Guilfoyle living with 18/19 year olds in the Tik Tok house!!!!

Thankfully i have no idea who he is:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement