Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on where to start looking

Options
  • 04-11-2013 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

I apologise if this has been covered before, but i couldn't see any threads that were specifically related to my query. Basically, I would love to hear advice on where to start looking or what things i should be looking out for in a van-conversion sized camper.

Current criteria:
    • It has to be big enough and laid out to accomodate myself, the wife and our small dog for weekends trips in Ireland.
    • But not too big - I don't want a bigger camper sized van - we have a small driveway that is just big enough for a van and a car. i like the traditional VW style but i'm aware that it comes with a premium so it will definitely have to be function over form. I think a VW transporter size would be as big as i'd like to go.
    • I would love to be able to put a bike or two on the back, if that was possible.
    • Whatever we buy will have to be relatively reliable and straightforward to maintain, as neither of us are too mechanically minded.
    • Budget isn't massive - maybe €5000-€8000
    • i also wouldn't mind having the van as an option as a second car, as i currently get around on a bike fine but wouldn't mind a back-up once a month or so.
    My quick googling of potential purchases on sale now hasn't thrown up many options in Ireland on donedeal or adverts or the like - actually some very poor diy conversions with a high price tag. I have seen some quality conversions on UK sites - for reasonable-ish prices, they certainly look well cared for, though would i have to pay full VRT on these if i imported them or how would this work? is it a good option?

Other than here, of course, what online resources are good - and ireland specific?

Is it worth it overall - would i live to regret it, do the expenses rack up once you have it? Am i being realistic about the price.

My wife is only half on board at the minute- she is insisting on trying one before we consider buying - so any suggestions on where to rent a van-sized camper for reasonble money would also be welcome.

I'm not in a rush - this is only the starting point, i can't see myself taking any sort of plunge until well into the spring - just starting to think about it now.

Any help, advice, opinions appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You could also consider a Mazda Bongo /Ford Freda with a pop-top?
    They are a handy size of vehicle for 2 and still give reasonable economy as they are pretty low profile with the roof down.
    Japanese reliability as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭eoglyn

CJhaughey wrote: »
    You could also consider a Mazda Bongo /Ford Freda with a pop-top?
    They are a handy size of vehicle for 2 and still give reasonable economy as they are pretty low profile with the roof down.
    Japanese reliability as well.

I noticed them come up on my initial searches - good to hear that they are worth considering

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭holyhutzpa

I would also say Mazda Bongo is worth considering - and don't rule out a VW.

I think at that size the conversion has to be really good. We've a VW T3 Westfalia Joker, and despite being tiny it sleeps 4 (if you really want) - we actually prefer the top bunk in the pop top. Of course with the T3, it's 1985 and it's less car like to drive, and more classic (no power steering, and it's slow (1.6non turbo diesel...) - but we like it, as when we drive it we're instantly in holiday mode. I like the pop top, but can see the disadvantages of it now I own one!

And it's a bit of a novelty to have something kinda classic as you get waves and smiles from people....
    And we do use it as er, emergency transport :)

TBH I strongly considered a T4 conversion, but love the character of the T3, and love that it's a Westfalia as opposed to whatever homebrew T4 I would have got for the same money.

We also imported from the UK, and paid minimal VRT - it depends what they value it at. There was more choice in the UK market... And I much prefer having a westfalia to a homebrew camper, or even some of the lesser converters - some of the UK converters at the time based their conversions on used vans, so they will have had a history as a builders van previously.

Other things to consider would be: Transit conversions, small mercedes conversions (marco polo)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I know people that got a (T5) caravelle, and did the bare minimum conversion (swapped the bed for the (tested) rib seat bed, leisure battery and hook up). They didn't convert it for tax, and they have a removeable pod for camping, and a driveaway awning for additional sleeping/ living areas. When it's in daily driver mode, you wouldn't tell the difference from a standard caravelle looking at it, except for the sockets. But then it doesn't sound like it needs to be an everyday driver.

We started in a T2 Bay, with a pop top, and I loved it. We looked at T25's/ T3, and in hindsight one of those with a high top might have worked out better. The T2 just didn't work for the missus, so now we have a Motorhome.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

We've a SWB 97 4 Berth Transit with a Rock n Roll bed and a pull out bed in the high roof. Same size as a Transporter and easily sleeps my missus, myself and our German Shepherd.
    The only possible disadvantage with SWB campers is having to forgo a toilet though I have been assured these things make life a bit easier! http://www.shewee.com/products/shewee
    There's a few options for bikes. I used one of these for 2 bikes in Europe this summer, 6000 km in total and found it fantastic. Really easy to use and strong but light. You will probably need a trailer board also, they're around €20ish for a mini board. http://www.micksgarage.com/proddetails.aspx?pid=92252

www.motorhomecraic.com is a great Irish resource.

For reliability and ease of maintenance I'd recommend a pre 2000ish camper, much more simple than when diesels went all complicated ecu's and high pressure injection. Of course if buying something older rust can be an issue, especially on UK vehicles so make sure you give it a good check including chassis.

Your budget should be more than enough to get a fantastic little machine, you'll have a ball!

• Advertisement
Advertisement