Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 Bed Apartment to rent in Dublin

Options
  • 04-11-2013 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am currently on the market with my partner to rent a 1 bed apartment. We have both been living in North Dublin for 2 years and commuting to city centre and to Dundrum each day for work. We were also sharing and living in an owner occupied house which has worked out very well for us. We are both professionals, and have no problem with a good reference from our employers and current landlord.
    We are hoping to get somewhere for ourselves on the south side to reduce our commute.
    We have been going through daft.ie, rent.ie, let.ie and myhome.ie to see what is available. The prices in Dublin for what we are looking for are outrageous. We are in the market for 800 - 900 max and we have very limited option. When a place goes up it is usually by a letting agent and showings are during the day which clearly isn't suitable for professionals with a 9-5. And then we ultimately miss out.
    We are both reliable, clean and considered good tenants. Could any one know of a way of getting somewhere nice (decent size with 1 separate bedroom and bathroom?). It's a tough market!
    The Dundrum, Rathfarnham, harolds cross, terenure, rathmines, rathgar (anywhere along luas line really) crumlin, kimmage would be suitable.
    Even somewhere that is not by a letting agent, just a landlord.
    Any advice on prices are welcome.

HELP!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

As a "professional" I'm sure you understand the law of supply and demand, that's what is at play here, pure and simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

jenjoeful wrote: »
    When a place goes up it is usually by a letting agent and showings are during the day which clearly isn't suitable for professionals with a 9-5. And then we ultimately miss out.

Unless you like standing around in the cold with many others to try view a small box of an apartment, I'd suggest you sort it out with your manager at work. I managed to get a lease for a nice 1 bed apt but only by telling the agent I could view at any time. He came back with a lunchtime viewing for just me.

You have to be flexible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I imagine you are using public transport. So you think you will save money living close to work on the green line. But you will probably spend nearly €200 a month between you on the Luas. You are probably better spending a little more living close to work, as any savings you make living away from it, will be eliminated using the luas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Your not going to get a place for less than 900 in any of those areas unless its a dump with a crying chair! Also as the others said your not going to get a place unless your ready to go with deposit, rent and references and willing to take the place pretty much when you view it.

Arrange a few days off work and go view someplaces. When I was looking letting agents were a pain in the ass.They dont answer phone and a few arranged viewings the didnt bother showing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

As a "professional" I'm sure you understand the law of supply and demand, that's what is at play here, pure and simple.

I don't think she asking for an explanation of the economics behind her renting issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Bray Header

Actually, I'm in the same boat, looking for a 1 bed, and it's not necessarily about supply and demand.

If you search for a 1 bed apartment for rent in Dublin 2, 8, 1 (there areas I'm looking), there are about 20 apartments for rent. However, 16 of these have all been bought from NAMA by a company called abode, who have decided to rent the apartments as short-term, serviced, corporate gaffs for 600 quid a week.

This is turning into a real problem for city-dwellers, particulary given the explosion of inward migration due to FB, Google etc hiring international staff.

I'm going to meet with my TD next week to bring it up, as it's a real problem in the city right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭jenjoeful

If you search for a 1 bed apartment for rent in Dublin 2, 8, 1 (there areas I'm looking), there are about 20 apartments for rent. However, 16 of these have all been bought from NAMA by a company called abode, who have decided to rent the apartments as short-term, serviced, corporate gaffs for 600 quid a week.

This is turning into a real problem for city-dwellers, particulary given the explosion of inward migration due to FB, Google etc hiring international staff.

I'm going to meet with my TD next week to bring it up, as it's a real problem in the city right now.

Wow thanks for the update on this, I wasn't aware. Maybe you could highlight the quality of the apartments and the price tag associated with them. Aka, a house/apartment should be brought to a certain standard before renting, particularly when they still command outrageous prices!

The search continues....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭jenjoeful

And an example of a below standard, over priced kip: http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1388087
    This place is horrendous....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

What can a TD do about the situation?

There are minimum standards in place that a house / flat has to meet before it can be let out. But there are people willing to take sub-standard accommodation in order to keep a roof over their heads or maybe it just doesn't bother them.

As for the price tag associated with them, the market value is the balance between what a tenant is willing to pay and what a landlord is willing to accept as the level of rent. If someone is willing to pay higher than you are then it's likely you'll miss out. As said in the op it's a tough market for tenants at the moment, it won't be the same forever and hasn't been the same in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

And an example of a below standard, over priced kip: http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1388087
    This place is horrendous....

I've also been trawling daft (etc.) recently for the illusive, even half decent, one bed apartment and it's rather telling that I look at that link and think "not too bad!".

I've decided to put my budget up to €1100 (I'd thought €900 would be more than enough) and things look a good deal better at that price (except for the price that is!). I'll have to wait a while to see if that's affordable for me though. Work situation changing a bit in the next couple of months (hence the move!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dubbie82

I know it's though for anyone looking to rent in Dublin at the moment. I moved back a couple of months ago and was lucky as it was before the prices started to creep up. Also my flat is a steal. 12 month lease is up in january and I hope my landlord will just let it go the way it is however I am still expecting a rent increase and beeing realistic he could charge a lot more, compared to other places in my area and size of the flat he could get at least 200 euro more taking the current market into account and there is no way I could afford that on my own. So here is hoping that he appreciates his quiet, undemaning and of course rent paying tenant for another while :-)

The flat was advertised on Daft and more than 40 people showed up for the viewing. Most of them took the application form. I really reccommend to have everything in order including deposit and first month rent, references from work and landlord, ID, bank statements etc. The application form I had to fill out was quite comprehensive and I returned it completed the same evening, followed it up the next morning by e-mail and phone call. Obsessive probably but I got a cheap flat now. The estate agent told me later that most of the application forms where not complete and they were not even considered.

I would also suggest not looking online but also have a look in the local shops, community centres and the evening herald.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

As a "human" I'm sure you understand the value of not attempting and failing to be a smart ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Actually, I'm in the same boat, looking for a 1 bed, and it's not necessarily about supply and demand.

Wow I've just only read you post today and you have confirmed my suspicions that short term renting is going on. We have just noticed recently that one of the penthouses where we live (bought under an affordable housing scheme!) has a different rental car in it's space every few weeks. I said to my husband it must be short term rental! Looks like this is more common then I thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Are you proposing that short-term rentals should be made illegal?

Or that NAMA should be forced to sell to people who won't rent short-term? NAMA's job is to get the best return possible, not social engineering or keeping rental prices low.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Volvic12

Are you proposing that short-term rentals should be made illegal?

Or that NAMA should be forced to sell to people who won't rent short-term? NAMA's job is to get the best return possible, not social engineering or keeping rental prices low.

I don't think that short-term rentals should be made illegal but I don't agree that NAMA's sole job is to get the best return possible. That's just my opinion.
    NAMA are completely controlling the property market.

Quick example:
    There is a vacant block of apartments in Dundrum that NAMA own (AFAIK). They are sitting idle for quite a while now. There is a huge shortage of houses/apartments in Dundrum (demand is greatly outweighing supply) and rental prices are going up.
    Developers are not going to come in and build in Dundrum because as they are nearing completion, NAMA could decide to finish off and sell the idle apartment block. Therefore, supply will increase greatly and developer will not make expected profits. Therefore, Developers are being put of building anywhere.

NAMA have created another property bubble - this time in Rent. Interesting to see how this plays out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Hi,
    I am currently on the market with my partner to rent a 1 bed apartment. We have both been living in North Dublin for 2 years and commuting to city centre and to Dundrum each day for work. We were also sharing and living in an owner occupied house which has worked out very well for us. We are both professionals, and have no problem with a good reference from our employers and current landlord.
    We are hoping to get somewhere for ourselves on the south side to reduce our commute.
    We have been going through daft.ie, rent.ie, let.ie and myhome.ie to see what is available. The prices in Dublin for what we are looking for are outrageous. We are in the market for 800 - 900 max and we have very limited option. When a place goes up it is usually by a letting agent and showings are during the day which clearly isn't suitable for professionals with a 9-5. And then we ultimately miss out.
    We are both reliable, clean and considered good tenants. Could any one know of a way of getting somewhere nice (decent size with 1 separate bedroom and bathroom?). It's a tough market!
    The Dundrum, Rathfarnham, harolds cross, terenure, rathmines, rathgar (anywhere along luas line really) crumlin, kimmage would be suitable.
    Even somewhere that is not by a letting agent, just a landlord.
    Any advice on prices are welcome.

HELP!!!

Is Stillorgan an option or is that too far from the luas line? I know an apartment that will be coming up for rent in the next few weeks circa 1100 mark. clean modern + just off the N11

Advertisement