Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Original Xbox - Classic Games

Options
  • 04-11-2013 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

I'm picking up an old Xbox for the craic. I'm doing it mainly to revisit some old sports titles, but I think I'll get stuck into a few classics that I missed the first time around. Knights of the Old Republic is one that keeps popping up. So I'll give that a go. What else would you recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,005 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Panzer Dragoon Orta and Steel Battalion - Steel Battalion is most definitely worth the space the controller takes up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

XIII, Half life 2, Chronicles of Riddick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Jonny Blaze

Tenchu Wrath of heaven, Kingdom under fire, conflict desert storm, ninja gaiden black... Xbox was great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

o1s1n wrote: »
    Panzer Dragoon Orta and Steel Battalion - Steel Battalion is most definitely worth the space the controller takes up :)
    sweetie wrote: »
    Tenchu Wrath of heaven, Kingdom under fire, conflict desert storm, ninja gaiden black... Xbox was great!

Cheers lads. Some classy looking games listed there.

That Steel Battalion controller looks nuts. I remember seeing it for the first time back in the day. It looked so futuristic. Now it looks retro.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Crimson Skies. Great fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

sweetie wrote: »

XIII......

Wow, completely forgot about that game! I used to play that online all the time! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I really like the Buffy game on the XB, think it was the first one, cos there were a couple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Deathrow was an awesome and very underrated sports/combat game. You could play it either as a sports-combat hybrid, or else entirely as a sports title or brutal beat-em-up style game. Basically, 2 teams of 4 play to score points by throwing a metal disc through hoops, but there was extensive combat abilities, and you could seriously cripple the enemy team, which then made the sports part easier, or else you could kill the enemy team outright if you took the gamble of ignoring the sports angle hoping to achieve total knock out. In between rounds, the money earned for points scored and beatings handed out would be used to patch up your team or make substitutions. We used to play the multiplayer obsessively. The only Xbox original titles I've kept are Halo, Halo 2, Battlefront 2 and Deathrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭wexdevil

If you missed it the first time around on Dreamcast then you should pick up Shenmue 2, also give GunValkyrie a try or even Otogi

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

wexdevil wrote: »
    If you missed it the first time around on Dreamcast then you should pick up Shenmue 2, also give GunValkyrie a try or even Otogi

Forgot Otogi, they were mental games. Ninja Gaiden Black was very good too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

There's a Fallout spin off called Brotherhood of Steel that's worth checking out.

It's like a Diablo clone / shmup mash up.

Crimson Sea was another interesting Xbox exclusive that mixed a third person shooter with RPG elements. Really awkward controls but when you got the hang of it it was intense.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭InvisibleBadger

Jet Set Radio Future, good fun and very distinct style

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Halo, PGR1&2, Munches Oddesey, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, Jade Empire, Star Wars: Republic Commando, Knigts of the Old Rebublic, Mech Assault. Loved the Xbox more than the PS2 back in the day, that and I loved the huge controller, so comfortable than the Dual Shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

It's dated, but seeing as you mentioned Knights of the old Republic, I'll mention my other joint favourite game. The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind. You should go with the Game of the Year edition which includes the expansions.

And, further to KOTOR, you might like Jade Empire. It's more action RPG, but its good.

Throw in Fahrenheit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Pushtrak wrote: »
    It's dated, but seeing as you mentioned Knights of the old Republic, I'll mention my other joint favourite game. The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind. You should go with the Game of the Year edition which includes the expansions.

And, further to KOTOR, you might like Jade Empire. It's more action RPG, but its good.

Throw in Fahrenheit too.

Absolutely +1 for Jade Empire.

Personally i would recommend Conflict: Global Storm, Timesplitters 2, KOTOR 1 & 2, The Matrix: Path of Neo & Fable. And if you could find it the original Lego Star Wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

SSX3.

oh, the hours I lost to that full mountain descent.....

NFL Street and Mercenaries were both enjoyable too. GTA Vice city on Xbox was the best console version by far as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Random thought: The Original Xbox was essentially a modified x86 system; The Xbox One is essentially a modified x86 system.

Would it be easier (and therefore theoretically possible) for Backwards compatibility to be added for original Xbox games? Similar Chipset and more than enough horsepower to cover the bits that would need be emulated.

(Of course, the other thought would be 'why bother?')

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭smliv

have to recomend Black had that and the first call of dutys and first medal of honours (acutaly still have ) and always thought it was the better of the FPS on original xbox also thought the early ghost recons were pretty brilliant at the time one of the first if not the first game i played were you had some sort of control over other chacters in your little squad

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement