Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local elections 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    Everyday you hear people complaining about FG and past FF governments, but yet we see the projected number of elected candidates from each party:3 from each. Are we not as bad as these liars and bull***ters when we continuously keep electing them? After the election you will hear people ranting on about how this government is adversely affecting them, but what do you expect when you vote for the likes of Brendan Heneghan, C. Burke and E. Lavin, Blackie Gavin etc...?

The problem with the local elections, and I'm speaking only about the Castlebar Electoral area, is that in the main, the quality of candidate is desperately poor. Some of them have no cop on at all. I'll give you 2 examples of the level of muppetry I'm talking about, from Johnny O'Malley, the current Cathaoirleach of Mayo County Council, and before it's pointed out, I'm well aware he's not running in the Castlebar EA:

Last September, when the Mayo football team were being welcomed back to McHale Park after the All Ireland Final, Mr O'Malley made a speech in which he referred to the Americans going into Afghanistan in a covert operation to get Osama Bin Laden, and how next September, Mayo would enter into a similar covert operation to get Sam Maguire.

Secondly, I was in the Royal Theatre on Saturday night last for the Mayo International Choral Festival Gala Concert. Again, Mr O'Malley, in his capacity as Cathaoirleach, spoke on behalf of Mayo Co Co. In this speech, he welcomed all the choirs, said he hopes to see them back again next year, and that if they come, they should all come and stay in Westport because (he said) he's from Westport, Westport has great restaurants, great amenities, great hotels and it's a great town. I don't dispute one word he says about Westport, but he wasn't speaking at the WESTPORT International Choral Festival. Such a lack of cop on I've rarely seen.

This isn't an anti Johnny O'Malley rant, I personally never met the man. The point that I'm making, is that if this is the level of candidate we elect, more often than not, it's probably the level of candidate put in front of us. As far as I'm concerned, there are maybe 3 credible politicians in the Castlebar EA. Knowing some of the others, I would be embarrassed to give them my vote. I could never give Harry Barrett or Brendan Heneghan any stroke on the basis of what I've seen from both in their time on Castlebar TC. They're not on their own either - it's the weakest candidate list I've seen in the area in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

Well said three beards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

The problem with the local elections, and I'm speaking only about the Castlebar Electoral area, is that in the main, the quality of candidate is desperately poor. Some of them have no cop on at all. I'll give you 2 examples of the level of muppetry I'm talking about, from Johnny O'Malley, the current Cathaoirleach of Mayo County Council, and before it's pointed out, I'm well aware he's not running in the Castlebar EA:

Last September, when the Mayo football team were being welcomed back to McHale Park after the All Ireland Final, Mr O'Malley made a speech in which he referred to the Americans going into Afghanistan in a covert operation to get Osama Bin Laden, and how next September, Mayo would enter into a similar covert operation to get Sam Maguire.

Secondly, I was in the Royal Theatre on Saturday night last for the Mayo International Choral Festival Gala Concert. Again, Mr O'Malley, in his capacity as Cathaoirleach, spoke on behalf of Mayo Co Co. In this speech, he welcomed all the choirs, said he hopes to see them back again next year, and that if they come, they should all come and stay in Westport because (he said) he's from Westport, Westport has great restaurants, great amenities, great hotels and it's a great town. I don't dispute one word he says about Westport, but he wasn't speaking at the WESTPORT International Choral Festival. Such a lack of cop on I've rarely seen.

This isn't an anti Johnny O'Malley rant, I personally never met the man. The point that I'm making, is that if this is the level of candidate we elect, more often than not, it's probably the level of candidate put in front of us. As far as I'm concerned, there are maybe 3 credible politicians in the Castlebar EA. Knowing some of the others, I would be embarrassed to give them my vote. I could never give Harry Barrett or Brendan Heneghan any stroke on the basis of what I've seen from both in their time on Castlebar TC. They're not on their own either - it's the weakest candidate list I've seen in the area in a long time.

Just out of curiosity had any Ballina candidates dropped any clangers like these?

Besides MM :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

finisklin wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity had any Ballina candidates dropped any clangers like these?

Besides MM :D

Had Henry Kenny at the door. I asked where the development grant went to we paid to mayo Co Co went to as of yet I have seen nothing improve around here even though we paid it for footpaths lighting sewerage and water. We have none of them bar water and we are paying for tgat again.
    Asked him why his party whose leader said we would not have a property tax only a number of years ago is not forcing this on us.
    I asked him how is it we have more quangos now tgat we had before FG got into power.
    Each answer was alone the lines of cleaning up the mess, laws in place by last gov etc etc etc. Blame them not us.
    I said then that really we should have left ff on place as all FG have done is either leave things as they were or implemented the measures ff setup.

Incredibly frustrating stuff

Incidentially, has any of the big guns come out to support the potential councillors in their quest to get elected i.e. Inda, Ringer, MM, Johnno or Celery?

I certainly haven't seen any on the campaign trail, or at mass for that matter!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Incidentially, has any of the big guns come out to support the potential councillors in their quest to get elected i.e. Inda, Ringer, MM, Johnno or Celery?

I certainly haven't seen any on the campaign trail, or at mass for that matter!

Will you stop, they are too busy creaming themselves on their now secure pension (aka lotto wins) ;)
    They would get lambasted if they appeared.

yop wrote: »
    Will you stop, they are too busy creaming themselves .........

More like afraid to get creamed by an angry public! :D

This is it.....final countdown.

The big day is near upon us.

Candidates must be full of trepidation.

Especially if your a FG or Lab one!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Had Henry Kenny at the door. I asked where the development grant went to we paid to mayo Co Co went to as of yet I have seen nothing improve around here even though we paid it for footpaths lighting sewerage and water. We have none of them bar water and we are paying for tgat again.
    Asked him why his party whose leader said we would not have a property tax only a number of years ago is not forcing this on us.
    I asked him how is it we have more quangos now tgat we had before FG got into power.
    Each answer was alone the lines of cleaning up the mess, laws in place by last gov etc etc etc. Blame them not us.
    I said then that really we should have left ff on place as all FG have done is either leave things as they were or implemented the measures ff setup.

Incredibly frustrating stuff

it was nearly 20 years ago ffs, can a politician not change his views over time?

• Advertisement

it was nearly 20 years ago ffs, can a politician not change his views over time?

He said it was "Morally wrong", so he has changed his morals then :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

What's the craic with the moratorium and advertising in papers. Today's advertiser is littered with "Vote Me" ads.

statto25 wrote: »
    What's the craic with the moratorium and advertising in papers. Today's advertiser is littered with "Vote Me" ads.

Got 5 fliers in the door there with the post, I thought it was total shutdown on all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Got 5 fliers in the door there with the post, I thought it was total shutdown on all that.

That's why I asked. Jim Higgins has the front page of the advertiser taken with an ad.

That's why I asked. Jim Higgins has the front page of the advertiser taken with an ad.

They can probably "advertise" but not discuss, don't know to be honest.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The moratorium only applies to broadcast media.

There's also restrictions on posters etc around or near polling stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

Jim 'Advertiser' Higgins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭mezuzaj

Looking at the Council Ballot paper. There sure is a lot of women on it (not)... Looks like the council will be a boys club.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

Any word on the count?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

• Advertisement

Kilcoyne in in Castlebar. Durcan in with a chance and looks like Barret has a massive hill to climb if he is to make, which is doubtful. Chambers doing well and slightly surprising.

O'Hara a big surprise in Ballina. Rose Conway Walsh got a massive vote out west.

The blood letting is truly underway. Farewell Joe Mellett, Jimmy Maloney & Johnny O'Malley etc.

Kilcoyne in in Castlebar. Durcan in with a chance and looks like Barret has a massive hill to climb if he is to make, which is doubtful. Chambers doing well and slightly surprising.

O'Hara a big surprise in Ballina. Rose Conway Walsh got a massive vote out west.

The blood letting is truly underway. Farewell Joe Mellett, Jimmy Maloney & Johnny O'Malley etc.

Barrett is gone. There's zero chance of him bridging the gap. I don't think Durcan is transfer friendly, and will suffer as a result, especially when Eugene McCormack is eliminated. I think he'll finish 9th. No surprise at all to me about Chambers - she's being very strongly backed by the local FF cumainn and is a very credible candidate

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭cpg093

Has there been any word on south mayo area?

cpg093 wrote: »

Patsy O'Brien, Gerry Murray and Richard finn are in. Looks likely that Caulfield and Cribben will make it shortly.

Dog fight for the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

cpg093 wrote: »

http://www.mayonews.ie/

Very up to date link here if you watch their live twitter link.

Barrett is gone. There's zero chance of him bridging the gap. I don't think Durcan is transfer friendly, and will suffer as a result, especially when Eugene McCormack is eliminated. I think he'll finish 9th. No surprise at all to me about Chambers - she's being very strongly backed by the local FF cumainn and is a very credible candidate

Got the most from Kilcoyne's surplus. Good call. ;)

Got the most from Kilcoyne's surplus. Good call. ;)

Yeah, heard that. Maybe it was more hope than expectation on my part!!!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

What age roughly is chambers and what does she work at

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

One National Party needed made up of selected party members
    Separate the wheat from the chaff
    Dump the excess baggage
    Money wasted on individuals who are feathering their own nests
    Too many politicians in a country this size.
    Bloated political system that fails the greater good

Advertisement