Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local elections 2014

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Hasn't been updated since 2:00 unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

What age roughly is chambers and what does she work at

Don't think she's 30 yet......recently qualified as a barrister and probably hasn't practised to the extent that she should have to be experienced.

I am sure that there are some on this forum that will vouch for her integrity and hard working nature and commitment to her profession etc. etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

finisklin wrote: »
    Don't think she's 30 yet......recently qualified as a barrister and probably hasn't practised to the extent that she should have to be experienced.

I am sure that there are some on this forum that will vouch for her integrity and hard working nature and commitment to her profession etc. etc. etc.

Not my idea of a local councillor , but everyone to there own,

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

First count from Ballina, via Western People on twitter (link in last post) and reordered by current ranking:

O'Hara 1613
    Weir 1589
    Reape 1257
    Smyth 1072
    Munnelly 1041
    Loftus 1038
    Sheahan 1027
    Lavelle 982
    Ginty 937
    Moore 902
    Cruise 849
    Winters 830
    O'Malley 803
    Maloney 681
    Mellett 583
    Clarke 528
    Staunton 486
    Peyton 112

Recount already requested by Lavelle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

What age roughly is chambers and what does she work at

http://www.lawlibrary.ie/members/barrister.asp?barID=6207

Really surprised by Ballina results as follows;

John O’Hara, FG
    Seamus Weir, Independent
    Annie May Reape, FF
    Jarlath Munnelly, FG
    Gerry Ginty, Ind
    Michael Loftus, FF
    Michael Smyth, FF
    Neil Cruise, FG.

Only one Ballina man on it. It's going to be interesting how the budgets are divvied up and if it will slow the development of the town.

Some of these I didn't see - Cruise and Smyth esp.

Not sure what the recount will throw up for the Shinner.

Good news for Bonniconlon, Killala, Foxford/Knockmore. Massive representation for there areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

anyone else think the count was a shambles, rumours i am hearing saying it was chaos in the tf.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

irishgeo wrote: »
    anyone else think the count was a shambles, rumours i am hearing saying it was chaos in the tf.

Complete and utter, had to be moved to another room as there wasn't enough of room where they were.
    Part of me thinks they slow it down so that the council workers who do the counts get the extra euros! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

yop wrote: »
    Complete and utter, had to be moved to another room as there wasn't enough of room where they were.
    Part of me thinks they slow it down so that the council workers who do the counts get the extra euros! :D
    i was there on the sat it was busy and hard to get around but thats what i expected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

With the FG and FF members balanced it will be interesting to see how the Independents swing. To a certain extent they are in a very strong position.

I understood that SF have withdrawn their request for a recount.

I suppose its all about who sits on the committees.

Agree that the counts Nationwide were a bit shambolic... lack of staff, too many people in the counting rooms..... stupid challenges which would not make any difference... long hours for the Counters meant more mistakes....

TT

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

TopTec wrote: »
    With the FG and FF members balanced it will be interesting to see how the Independents swing. To a certain extent they are in a very strong position.

I understood that SF have withdrawn their request for a recount.

I suppose its all about who sits on the committees.

Agree that the counts Nationwide were a bit shambolic... lack of staff, too many people in the counting rooms..... stupid challenges which would not make any difference... long hours for the Counters meant more mistakes....

TT

Mental, can't remember where but they were doing a recount at 4am!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

yop wrote: »

No extra lolly. There is a set amount granted to each returning officer, iirc. That hast to last for whatever length of time the count takes. But, not to worry. Most of the counting staff are Mayo Co.Co staff. So they're getting dosh anyway:D.

No extra lolly. There is a set amount granted to each returning officer, iirc. That hast to last for whatever length of time the count takes. But, not to worry. Most of the counting staff are Mayo Co.Co staff. So they're getting dosh anyway:D.

Ah so now we know where u work :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Not my idea of a local councillor , but everyone to there own,

She is an able young lady, a well qualified barrister, and will be a good councillor. She got a good vote at the last general election. I presume she will seek the nomination again in 2016, ( or perhaps 2015 )

nuac wrote: »
    She is an able young lady, a well qualified barrister, and will be a good councillor. She got a good vote at the last general election. I presume she will seek the nomination again in 2016, ( or perhaps 2015 )

To sum up.....any solicitor, barrister etc make good politicians because they are capable, hard working, well qualified etc.

We know this is not the case as we have MM, Shatter and Brian Cowen.

Are the politicians that are teachers, farmers, cheesemakers and full time politicians TDs not hard working, able and well qualified to do their job as a politician?

The fact is that you need no qualification to be a politician other than the balls to stand up and get more votes than the next guy.

Rant over.:mad:

finisklin wrote: »
    To sum up.....any solicitor, barrister etc make good politicians because they are capable, hard working, well qualified etc.

We know this is not the case as we have MM, Shatter and Brian Cowen.

Are the politicians that are teachers, farmers, cheesemakers and full time politicians TDs not hard working, able and well qualified to do their job as a politician?

The fact is that you need no qualification to be a politician other than the balls to stand up and get more votes than the next guy.

Rant over.:mad:

No, I was just expressing a POV about Lisa Chambers

But you can't be sure if she will be any good,I'm not sure but has she ever been on a town council , and she ran for the dail a few years ago,, it seems to me , she is young interested and educated = the new face of ff, it's a big smoke screen she will be advised by all the same people,

But you can't be sure if she will be any good,I'm not sure but has she ever been on a town council , and she ran for the dail a few years ago,, it seems to me , she is young interested and educated = the new face of ff, it's a big smoke screen she will be advised by all the same people,

We cannot be sure about anything in life.

Regarding the town council, she lives outside the urban area. also I think she was still a student in 2009

From my knowledge of her as a person and a lawyer I think she will be a good councillor, and has the potential to go further.

Regarding advisers, I think she will be her own woman.

All your comments regarding legal professionals as politicians has been over whelming positive yet we know from practise that they in fact make poor politicians.

You dont need a qualification to be a politician just gets more votes than the next guy. Brass neck in other words.

• Advertisement

We cannot be sure about anything in life.

Regarding the town council, she lives outside the urban area. also I think she was still a student in 2009

From my knowledge of her as a person and a lawyer I think she will be a good councillor, and has the potential to go further.

Regarding advisers, I think she will be her own woman.

Fair enough neither of us know, will be some shock to her when she is getting an ear full for not fixing the neighbours pot holes haha

Some brillant investigative reporting from the intrepid MWR news team via the Irish Independent. :rolleyes:

Is the chair worth this?

30,000 euro is Maximum Salary for Incoming Cathaoirleach of MCC

Created on Tuesday, 03 June 2014 09:43 mayo%20co%20co.jpg
    Some of the country's newly elected councillors have raised concerns with the salary cuts planned by Environment Minister Phil Hogan.
    Incoming city and county councillors will lose out on expenses payments totalling at least €20,000 each over their five-year term, the Irish Independent revealed yesterday.

However it is the reduction in the salaries of mayors and cathaoirligh, some by up to 60pc, and the introduction of strict pay caps that has led to a backlash by councillors around the country. In Cork city, the mayor's salary has been reduced from €79,000 to €30,000. In Limerick, the salary of the Cathaoirleach on the new one-county authority will be €18,000 – down from €60,000.

In Mayo, Minister Hogan has imposed a maximum salary for the Cathaoirleach at 30,000 euro. This figure was confirmed today by Mayo county Secretary John Condon. Mr Condon explained that the 30,000 max salary was imposed on Mayo county council by Minister Hogan on Friday last. Mr Condon said the size of the salary is related to the number of councillors on the particular authority.

Elected councillors can choose to reduce the salary of it’s Cathaoirleach from the maximum payment, if it wishes to do so. Mayo county councillors will meet this Friday for the first time since being elected across 4 new municipal districts and the salary of the new cathaoirleach, whoever he or she will be, will then be approved or changed by the 30 member authority.

Advertisement