Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smell at the entrance to property

Options
  • 04-11-2013 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭

there is a bad smell at the entrance to the property, I tried to inspect the manhole but when opened I couldn't feel the same smell. It seems to accumulate at the entrance where the gas boiler is. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

tp25 wrote: »
    there is a bad smell at the entrance to the property, I tried to inspect the manhole but when opened I couldn't feel the same smell. It seems to accumulate at the entrance where the gas boiler is. Any ideas?

Decaying leaves can leave a bad 'gassy' smell. However, if it is a gassy smell, then you should call out the inspector to have it checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Call your Gas Suppliers they will advise you best.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭tp25

do you really think it may be gas?

it is more like a sewer...

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

Bord Gáis has a dedicated 24-hour Emergency Response Service

If you smell gas please call one of the following numbers:
    • Customers in the Republic of Ireland should call 1850 20 50 50
    • or light a match:D:D

people this isn't a gas!! I have a carbon monoxide alarm there and this stinks like a sewer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

do you really think it may be gas?

it is more like a sewer...

How can we tell what it is as we're not there to smell it!
    people this isn't a gas!! I have a carbon monoxide alarm there and this stinks like a sewer!

Carbon Monoxide monitors carbon monoxide levels not methane or natural gas levels. The hint is in the name!

What kind of property is it? A house or an apartment?

Could be someone letting off stick bombs.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭drag0n79

Do you have a drain cover nearby? If so, there's probably a blockage. Needs to be flushed out and unblocked.

RosieJoe wrote: »
    How can we tell what it is as we're not there to smell it!

Carbon Monoxide monitors carbon monoxide levels not methane or natural gas levels. The hint is in the name!

What kind of property is it? A house or an apartment?

Could be someone letting off stick bombs.

No

No

drag0n79 wrote: »
    Do you have a drain cover nearby? If so, there's probably a blockage. Needs to be flushed out and unblocked.

yes I have. I have a drain cover nearby, I have a manhole and another small drain (overflow from gas boiler) nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭hitbit

Please do as suggested by others and call Bord Gais immediately. This is a free service. If it turns out to be a sewage, decaying leaves, or dead animal problem well enough. Long term exposure to which might cause you to become somewhat ill but a gas leak is a different matter altogether as you could die from inhaling same or suffer a similar fate as a result of an explosion and or fire.
    Call them now, if there's a gas problem they will deal with it. If its something else you can naddress same but at least you will have peace of mind.

Hitbit

• Advertisement

this smell is there for years! it is only stronger during the rainy/wet days...

I did pour 5 liters of bleach to the sink drain and then the smell stopped for a few days but it does returns during the rainy days...

btw I had the gas boiler serviced and tested for leaks... - this is not the reason... And most of you wouldn't differentiate smell of lpg, natural gas and a sewer... I do... This is not the point.

I have no words for this type of mass panic.

I do have potential suspect, kids throwing plastic bags and plastic bottles into the local drains, look yourself into one of these drains and realize that CL will soon have a major drainage problem...

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭caji

Why don't you ring the management company and report it to them. If it's an external problem they should cover it?

caji wrote: »
    Why don't you ring the management company and report it to them. If it's an external problem they should cover it?

It is an internal problem. Between the main door and the other door to the property.

You can't smell it by standing outside..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Mass panic! You say you get a bad smell so people are obviously concerned hence the posts about gas. Now it turns out that the smell has been there for ages, why haven't you done anything about it before? Your posts are as clear as mud and bordering on trolling.

If you want help/advice then you'd be better off giving all the details up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Maybe i can help.fresh nose..pm me and we see if we can get to the bottom of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Wayne_M

This sounds like a blocked drain which we experienced in CL Grove (2-bed t/h) last year. In our case it was a combination of build-up of crap from kitchen sink (kitchen at front of house) to outside drain over 8years, and a build up of debris in the drain just outside the house.
    1. Check the drain for any obvious blockages- leaves, bark chippings (in our case), etc. (I presume you have already done this)
    2. Run (very) hot water through the kitchen sink for as long as you can (5-10mins, or until hot water runs out). Do this by combination of hot tap & kettle boils, with washing up liquid (to help break down any grease). I threw bleach & Drain Cleaner down too - does no harm.

We've had no problems since then. I'd often throw drain cleaner down every 1/2 months, just as maintenance, and so far so good.

Let me know how you get on. If I hear a loud bang we'll know it was a gas leak :)

Advertisement