Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Gear Solid V

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The series has always been heavily influenced by Ninja Scroll, an anime were an undercover samurai takes on a group of ninjas each with weird abilities that make them standout. That one also had a bee guy so it's kind of fitting for the series. The series has always been bat **** insane and silly. MGS4 went head first into the silly abyss but also forgot to be a fun game. God bless Revengeance for taking the mickey out of it, 'Nanomachines son'.

I actually hated MGS3 when I first played it. Took about 2 hours until it clicked and I ended up loving it. You just have to take it a little bit slower than the other MGS games and have a bit of patience.

Bee guy might fit that series, being influenced by the series in your own project doesn't necessarily mean it fits in yours.

MGS1 wasn't bat♡♡♡♡, is my point; it was well out there but grounded in reality (Psycho Mantis and extensive Russian experimentation with psychic warfare, Vulcan and his shamanistic beliefs). It was 2 that went off the deep end, to its detriment, I feel. I feel the series never really recovered from the whole Ocelot and Liquid's arm plot device. Which was ultimately, pointless. Ocelot himself could easily have had the same goals. And Vamp and Fortune, ugh.

I've been through 3 twice I believe. I will try it again, I own the HD version. But not until after V. Going through 4 recently has already killed my hype for V :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I've been catching up on all the games I missed out on post PS1 days with some 'movies' on youtube. Watching through MGS4 now, it is indeed pretty batsh*t :pac:

I sincerely hope we see another Metal Gear Rising game tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I'm just after finishing up MGS3 now (and platinumed it :)) and it's easily gotten me hyped for V. Incredible game considering how old it is now.

With 2 & 3 I went through and skipped the majority of cutscenes just because I've played through them so many times.

Moving onto 4 now, which I haven't completed in years so I'm actually going to watch as much as I can handle!

Also here is the mother base gameplay demo. I haven't watched it yet and I'm not actually sure if I will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Skipped through it quickly, the amount of stuff you can do is unbelievable!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

tok9 wrote: »
    I'm just after finishing up MGS3 now and it's easily gotten me hyped for V. Incredible game considering how old it is now.

:eek: It's barely ten years old, not even if you count Subsistence, which we should because the vanilla version was effectively rendered obsolete with it. As a point of contrast, Subsistence was released only a few months before Elder Scrolls: Oblivion.

:eek: It's barely ten years old, not even if you count Subsistence, which we should because the vanilla version was effectively rendered obsolete with it. As a point of contrast, Subsistence was released only a few months before Elder Scrolls: Oblivion.

Sure, I think the point more so was regarding it came out 2 generations ago as opposed to years.

Oblivion came out on PS3 & 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I was hoping to do a run through of all of the MGS games before 5 came out. It is my favourite series and 1 and 3 are two of my top five games ever. But I've just started Final Fantasy VII for the first time so that ain't happening.

I really hope 5 is good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I was hoping to do a run through of all of the MGS games before 5 came out. It is my favourite series and 1 and 3 are two of my top five games ever. But I've just started Final Fantasy VII for the first time so that ain't happening.

I really hope 5 is good.

Just play the MGS games, they're much better and do yourself a favour and play the Persona games instead of FF7, a much better use of your time :P

play the Persona games instead of FF7, a much better use of your time :P

Ew. Ew. I feel the sudden urge to shower.

I would take a break on VII, for the month that's in it. Can go back to it in October after a month of V binge :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Essien wrote: »
    I think I'll have to invest in a PS4 soon. I just love the Metal Gear series way too much.

This game will be the reason I invest in a PS4! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Wright wrote: »
    Ew. Ew. I feel the sudden urge to shower.

Trust me. FF7 isn't that great of a JRPG and Persona 3 and 4 are pretty much the pinacles of the genre in the last decade. They're a much more mature and clever take on the JRPG genre. I'd wait until after MGSV though, you won't be done with either of those games by October!

This game will be the reason I invest in a PS4! :)

+1. Lots of decent titles on it, but personally, no system sellers before this. Got lots waiting for me in my PS+ library anyway.

I wouldn't say MGSV is a system seller, you can pick it up on several other platforms.

Something like Bloodborne or the promises of Uncharted, Persona 5 etc would be more of a system seller really unless you're just looking for the console which generally has the better performance.

Trust me. FF7 isn't that great of a JRPG and Persona 3 and 4 are pretty much the pinacles of the genre in the last decade. They're a much more mature and clever take on the JRPG genre.

I've played FF7 and Persona 4 Golden. To even think to compare the latter to the former is a massive insult.FF7 is considered by a 80+% of gamers to be the best game ever made, even if they're not really into the genre. Amazing story, 'epic' in the old school Greek way rather than the new Hollywood way, huge scope and world, great characters far far more memorable than anything Persona has ever offered, great art direction and design, straight forward battle design but with lots of depth, Gold Saucer, the weapons, chocobo breeding...

Lightning in a bottle. I prefer 8 slightly but 7,8,9 are incredible incredible games.

Persona is a weeaboo fantasy with atrociously convoluted battle design, very weak enemy design, weak story and two dimensional characters. Super linear and constrained due to no world map and the day system. Look at how Shenmue did a Japanese town so much better.
    I was living in Japan when I played this and its actually more boring than living in Japan which is a feat in itself.

But of course this thread is abour MGSV lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Why would you go near FF7 now with the remake coming!?? Christ! I've put off a replay for 10 years waiting for the remake.

I
    Persona is a weeaboo fantasy with atrociously convoluted battle design, very weak enemy design, weak story and two dimensional characters.

Whatever about your preference between FF or Persona, this is a statement I didn't think I'd ever read when talking about Persona.

Why would you go near FF7 now with the remake coming!?? Christ! I've put off a replay for 10 years waiting for the remake.

Nomura is in charge of the remake, it's dead in the water lol.

I've played FF7 and Persona 4 Golden. To even think to compare the latter to the former is a massive insult.FF7 is considered by a 80+% of gamers to be the best game ever made, even if they're not really into the genre. Amazing story, 'epic' in the old school Greek way rather than the new Hollywood way, huge scope and world, great characters far far more memorable than anything Persona has ever offered, great art direction and design, straight forward battle design but with lots of depth, Gold Saucer, the weapons, chocobo breeding...

Lightning in a bottle. I prefer 8 slightly but 7,8,9 are incredible incredible games.

Persona is a weeaboo fantasy with atrociously convoluted battle design, very weak enemy design, weak story and two dimensional characters. Super linear and constrained due to no world map and the day system. Look at how Shenmue did a Japanese town so much better.
    I was living in Japan when I played this and its actually more boring than living in Japan which is a feat in itself.

All I can say is so much wrong :(

And in saying that I'm. But of a hypocrit since after telling you not to bother playing ff7 I went off to play it myself since I'm seeing how the fan translation pans out. Time has not been kind to ff7.

All I can say is so much wrong :(

And in saying that I'm. But of a hypocrit since after telling you not to bother playing ff7 I went off to play it myself since I'm seeing how the fan translation pans out. Time has not been kind to ff7.

Aaaaaaaahhhh, I've been lurking for years on here, I know you! The FF7 hater who goes on about the translation endlessly.

Welp, never mind. I've seen lots of people try to engage you on this and fail. Not gonna try myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Nomura is in charge of the remake, it's dead in the water lol.

Don't be reading that bull, that's all it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,705 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Beefy78 wrote: »

I really hope 5 is good.

I did a run-through starting last September (including the v. long Peace Walker) and only finished Ground Zeroes last month. Didn't really have the time to rush through them. Probably better off really because I'd be all burned out from MGS if I started a run-through now to get them done before Phantom Pain.

I seriously can't wait for this. Probably the most excited for a game I've ever been really.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

callaway92 wrote: »
    I seriously can't wait for this. Probably the most excited for a game I've ever been really.

I'm really excited for it, but at the same time, a little bit wary. From the trailers it seems like the story is going to go into some very weird places, weirder than we've ever seen before. And it seems like there's so much to do gameplay-wise and so many gadgets/support features that I'm worried it'll become overly convoluted.

This could be a bit of a shambles or finally a Metal Gear game to surpass Metal Gear games.

The 20 hour prviews that journalists did a few weeks back has been met with an overwhelmingly positive response so I've no worries this is not going to be stellar. Seems to marry an actual sandbox with tight gameplay systems which is something most open world games totally fail at.

Not really bothered about the story, it went off the deep end with MGS4 but as long as the open world is fun to play around with then I'll be happy and apparently they nailed it with Ground Zeroes.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ibstar

MGO3 for PC wouldn't be available until January!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Aaaaaaaahhhh, I've been lurking for years on here, I know you! The FF7 hater who goes on about the translation endlessly.

Welp, never mind. I've seen lots of people try to engage you on this and fail. Not gonna try myself.

He's also a legend of dragoon hater :mad: :eek: :p:p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Sorry to side-track the thread with the FFVII talk. For the record, I've owned it for years and always meant to give it a go so when looking for something to play the other night I decided to go for it. Trying to go about five hours a week rather than blitz it so guess there's room for a bit of Metal Gear alongside.

If the FF7 discussion wants to continue then move it to the JRPG thread, this is going a good bit off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

The mother base/fob thing looks really cool. My favourite part of peace walker was the motherbase management. Its turning into the Metal Gear game I've always wanted.

The only thing I'm worried about is that the game is so big with so much to do I won't have the time to give it my full attention.

• Advertisement

The base thing reminds me of Suikoden.

Advertisement