Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Gear Solid V

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

Bad Horse wrote: »
    I'm really excited for it, but at the same time, a little bit wary. From the trailers it seems like the story is going to go into some very weird places, weirder than we've ever seen before.

Expect them to be diversions. We pretty much know that anything shown at the hospital in Cyprus is in our character's (not necessarily Big Boss ;) ) head, as he's still coming to after receiving Big Boss' Genome. We see petals from the field where Big Boss faught Boss, Volgin...

Even the guy with the wrapped up face is a hallucination; in one gameplay video he's shown getting riddled with bullets in a corridor by whoever is attacking the hospital; the camera pans around and we can see him standing in a darkened doorway for a split second. And we've also seen him in the car, after the hospital. Nothing we've been shown has been the real case.

Think back to the reveal of Phantom Pain. How they claimed it wasn't MGSV for months even though the words were clearly visible at the top.

'Hidden in plain sight'. One of the greatest logo's of all time, once you understand it explains the whole game.

Even 'Sins of the Father' pretty much tells us whose story this really is.

And I'm not buying the growing shrapnel/horn on his head either. There's something more to that too.

Regarding the amount of gadgetry, this has been the staple since 3. I think the fact that he has several arms with different functions is awesome; can't wait to unlock them all.

He's also a legend of dragoon hater :mad: :eek: :p:p:D

Gotta admit I never really sank into that game will have to go through it one day, my mate swears by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Wright wrote: »
    Expect them to be diversions. We pretty much know that anything shown at the hospital in Cyprus is in our character's (not necessarily Big Boss ;) ) head, as he's still coming to after receiving Big Boss' Genome. We see petals from the field where Big Boss faught Boss, Volgin...

Even the guy with the wrapped up face is a hallucination; in one gameplay video he's shown getting riddled with bullets in a corridor by whoever is attacking the hospital; the camera pans around and we can see him standing in a darkened doorway for a split second. And we've also seen him in the car, after the hospital. Nothing we've been shown has been the real case.

Think back to the reveal of Phantom Pain. How they claimed it wasn't MGSV for months even though the words were clearly visible at the top.

'Hidden in plain sight'. One of the greatest logo's of all time, once you understand it explains the whole game.

Even 'Sins of the Father' pretty much tells us whose story this really is.

And I'm not buying the growing shrapnel/horn on his head either. There's something more to that too.

Agree completely, but that's my point. For MGS2 he showed Snake in all trailers to hide the fact you'd be playing as Raiden. If a lot of what we've seen so far have been diversions, what the hell is it all hiding?

Bad Horse wrote: »
    Agree completely, but that's my point. For MGS2 he showed Snake in all trailers to hide the fact you'd be playing as Raiden. If a lot of what we've seen so far have been diversions, what the hell is it all hiding?

The actual protagonist of MGSV.

The medic on the helicopter in Ground Zeroes? Up his voice by two octaves and its clearly Kiefer Sutherland. I'll bet anyone there's a big GZ patch on September 1st and David Hayter's voice work for Big Boss is installed. We've all been had, Kojima has done it again, though he's had patches to play with this time, more tech at his disposal.

We know a large part of the game happens in Rhodesia, Africa during the 80's.

Seriously y'all need to go back and play Shadow Moses again, then you'll know who our protagonist actually is ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I still have no clue what the hell is going on.

• Advertisement

The protagonist of MSGV is
    Grey Fox in disguise

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Ya I watched the gameplay video and it looks like you'll be spending a lot of time in Mother Base. I'll definitely be trying to sneak into some bases anyway.

What's crazy to me is how big these bases are!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Gotta admit I never really sank into that game will have to go through it one day, my mate swears by it.

My advice don't bother. You might think I hate FF7 but It don't, it's a great game just think it's vastly over rated and dated. Legend of Dragoon on the other hand is pretty much one of the worst RPGs on the system. Steer well clear of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Is their a decent link that tells what actually is going on in MGS?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Yeah, there is a few wiki sites and youtube videos. Even a short summary of the story is about 15 mins of reading at best.

• Advertisement

With the whole series? Bad idea. You need to at least play MGS1 to fully enjoy MGSV IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Here's one
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqU3_cfWaeY2DT7imScZKA3_PZJHRfdzy

And another one https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/2050xm/metal_gear_the_complete_story/

and two quick ones from Gamespot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

There's this playlist. It's what I've been watching to catch up on all the stuff since MGS1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    My advice don't bother. You might think I hate FF7 but It don't, it's a great game just think it's vastly over rated and dated. Legend of Dragoon on the other hand is pretty much one of the worst RPGs on the system. Steer well clear of it.

Stay on topic mod, don't make me bring out the wooden spoon....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Underground

I don't buy the Gray Fox theories at all. Sure, I'll be shocked if he's not in the game, as none of the trailers have shown him yet, so they obviously want his appearance to be a surprise. But as far as the playable protagonist goes, it's big boss for me.

That Pythonselkan account on YouTube started the whole Gray Fox theory and they did raise some nice points but I think 90% of their content is just clutching at straws.

I don't buy the Gray Fox theories at all. Sure, I'll be shocked if he's not in the game, as none of the trailers have shown him yet, so they obviously want his appearance to be a surprise. But as far as the playable protagonist goes, it's big boss for me.

That Pythonselkan account on YouTube started the whole Gray Fox theory and they did raise some nice points but I think 90% of their content is just clutching at straws.

#teamgreyfox :P

I agree they're keeping a surprise. Why would they bother though?

Decoy Octopus' finest work I reckon... ;)

#teamgreyfox :P

I agree they're keeping a surprise. Why would they bother though?

Decoy Octopus' finest work I reckon... ;)

Could be decoy octopus alright! Would tie in nicely too, if you think about it. 3 of the original "sons of big boss" from mgs1 are set to appear in TPP : ocelot, liquid and mantis. Be cool if the rest of them turn up, I think we'll run into a young sniper Wolf and save her life at some stage. All that would leave is octopus and raven.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Anybody use simplygames before.They are selling PS4 copy for €50
    http://deals.simplygames.com/p/metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain-day-one-edition-incls-dlc-ps4

Could be decoy octopus alright! Would tie in nicely too, if you think about it. 3 of the original "sons of big boss" from mgs1 are set to appear in TPP : ocelot, liquid and mantis. Be cool if the rest of them turn up, I think we'll run into a young sniper Wolf and save her life at some stage. All that would leave is octopus and raven.

Mantis isn't Big Boss' offspring.

Come to think of it we've seen two of the twins but not Solidus; I can't remember, what was his story again? Separated at birth?
    I think we'll run into a young sniper Wolf

Mark my words; when we first run into Quiet in Afghanistan, she'll be wearing a jumpsuit that she gives away to a young Kurdish orphan... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Wish I had the time to do a full series run through, I think I'll just do Snake Eater and Peace Walker, maybe MGS1 aswell if I have time.

• Advertisement

Mantis isn't Big Boss' offspring.

Come to think of it we've seen two of the twins but not Solidus; I can't remember, what was his story again? Separated at birth?

Mark my words; when we first run into Quiet in Afghanistan, she'll be wearing a jumpsuit that she gives away to a young Kurdish orphan... ;)

Sorry should have made that clearer :p wasn't referring to Mantis being an offspring of BB, was referring to the name they gave themselves in MGS1:

http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Sons_of_Big_Boss

Solidus is a weird one and I'm not really 100% about him myself. He was born in 1972 with the other two but also appeared much older, which was apparently planned so as not to arouse suspicion when he was elected president. The minimum age for US presidency being 35. Such a convaluted storyline.

On an unrelated note, whilst I'm trying to fill in gaps in my MGS knowledge, can anyone really explain Rose? There's the AI rigmarole in MGS2 in which we are led to believe she was never involved in the first place but then we see her at the end of that game in the flesh. Then in MGS4 she tells Snake that she was mission support for Raiden during the Big Shell incident. But that's a lie, twas an AI was it not? I dunno,I think I'm looking at it closer than I should.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

Rose was real in MGS2.She was sent by the Patriots to spy on Raiden.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

On an unrelated note, whilst I'm trying to fill in gaps in my MGS knowledge, can anyone really explain Rose? There's the AI rigmarole in MGS2 in which we are led to believe she was never involved in the first place but then we see her at the end of that game in the flesh. Then in MGS4 she tells Snake that she was mission support for Raiden during the Big Shell incident. But that's a lie, twas an AI was it not? I dunno,I think I'm looking at it closer than I should.

I dunno, but in MGS4 Rose has wobbly boobies when you shake the controller. The only practical application found for the six axis feature.

Glazers Out!

Can we just pretend Rose never existed? :)

(Sixaxis was used in Killzone 2 lol)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It wasn't exactly practical in Killzone though, just mini game qte rubbish.

Anyone wanting to catch up on the msg story all you need to know is that nano machines did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Nanomachines son!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Pre order in. All aboard the hype train bitches.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

What kills me about Metal Gear's story is that there are so many great things knocking around in there, but let down so dramatically by Kojima's struggle to articulate them. Forget the convoluted lore and inter-agency shenanigans - this is a series where each game has been designed with overarching thematic concerns. The plots are designed to explore them, even the bosses serve as metaphors for the deeper philosophical ponderings running through the individual games and the series as a whole. That there's such thematic depth to the games is highly irregular and ambitious for video games. Even the attempts at some sort of social commentary can be pretty bold amidst the wild sci-fi.

Sadly, it's the delivery that lets it down. For all his grand, admirable intentions, Kojima seems to falter when it comes to core storytelling principles like pace, tone, and delivery. Despite the fact that brilliantly the entire structure and mechanics of the games are often elegantly interwoven with narrative, this is regularly disrupted with another overlong CODEC conversation, or ponderous, confused exposition. The plot - all that confounding lore - is allowed overwhelm, drowning out the much more interesting, intellectually engaging things happening. It's maddening to see a series that gets so much right and so much wrong at the very same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Yea...it's worse than I thought, I was wondering was I slipping not being able to follow the story but I feel better now that I can't even follow a 2 min vid telling me the story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Playing through 4 now and just saved after the 1st proper boss fight.

Tbf to it, the first 2 acts are great. Sneaking along and helping the militia which in return helps you is all really good.

But there is no doubt that the cutscenes are ridiculous. Whatever about the long ones.. the 10-15 second ones which then give you control only to take it away instantly again and kick off another cutscene are really annoying.

Still I am really enjoying replaying the game again.

Advertisement