Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Gear Solid V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Sorry should have made that clearer :p wasn't referring to Mantis being an offspring of BB, was referring to the name they gave themselves in MGS1:

http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Sons_of_Big_Boss

Solidus is a weird one and I'm not really 100% about him myself. He was born in 1972 with the other two but also appeared much older, which was apparently planned so as not to arouse suspicion when he was elected president. The minimum age for US presidency being 35. Such a convaluted storyline.

On an unrelated note, whilst I'm trying to fill in gaps in my MGS knowledge, can anyone really explain Rose? There's the AI rigmarole in MGS2 in which we are led to believe she was never involved in the first place but then we see her at the end of that game in the flesh. Then in MGS4 she tells Snake that she was mission support for Raiden during the Big Shell incident. But that's a lie, twas an AI was it not? I dunno,I think I'm looking at it closer than I should.

I just treat it like she was real up to a point in MGS2, then the AI took over. But Col.Campbell was always an AI in MGS2

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Bad Horse wrote: »
    I just treat it like she was real up to a point in MGS2, then the AI took over. But Col.Campbell was always an AI in MGS2

But then wasn't also in 4 and tells Snake or Meryl that he acted in as Rose's husband to hide her connection to Raiden from the Patriots to protect her child or something?

But then wasn't also in 4 and tells Snake or Meryl that he acted in as Rose's husband to hide her connection to Raiden from the Patriots to protect her child or something?

Yeah, but that was after MGS2. It's likely Campbell never knew Raiden or Rose before MGS2, and only found out about them and the whole Big Shell incident afterwards (he is friends with Snake & Otacon after all). It was likely after that when Raiden started becoming cyberninja Raiden that Campbell married Rose in order to prevent her from being a target for the Patriots due to what Raiden was doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I just remembered MGS4 had a "theatrical trailer" like the MGS5 Gamescom trailer, that billed it up like a summer blockbuster.

Like the time it was in, it even includes some awful narration.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

Gawd hyped.

Holding out on picking up a PS4/TV want to find the perfect ones for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Resolutions for the game have been announced
    PS3/Xbox 360: sub-720p upscaled/30fps
    PS4: 1080p/60fps
    Xbox One: 900p/60fps
    PC: up to 4K/60fps

And there are some comparison shots on the Konami site

MGS5 Comparison screens

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd like to see the PC that can run that at 4K :)

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd like to see the PC that can run that at 4K :)

They're around, not worth it IMO though. Two 980ti's would do it, Foxengine is optimized to hell and back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Wright wrote: »
    They're around, not worth it IMO though. Two 980ti's would do it, Foxengine is optimized to hell and back.

Oh I know, I have GZ on my own PC at full whack 1080p and it runs without dropping a single frame. They've done an excellent job with the engine. Pity it will probably only be used with PES from now on :/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Definitely going with PC after seeing those comparisons, pretty stark difference in textures particularly.

They don't seem to have picked the most complimentary current and previous gen comparisions, though. The weird close focus effect on the next-gen versions looks rather jarring there. Obvious difference in terms of resolution though, and the robotic hand colour change :pac:

Definitely going with PC after seeing those comparisons, pretty stark difference in textures particularly.

They don't seem to have picked the most complimentary current and previous gen comparisions, though. The weird close focus effect on the next-gen versions looks rather jarring there.

Those are bullshots through and through. I played GZ on PS3. It looked 10 times worse than those supposed last gen shots. Those shots are simply blurred bullshots.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Those are bullshots through and through. I played GZ on PS3. It looked 10 times worse than those supposed last gen shots. Those shots are simply blurred bullshots.

Maybe you just have a bad TV :pac:

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Maybe you just have a bad TV :pac:

1080p IPS 3D LG 27" so no :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

It's funny the way the comparisons didn't even bother pairing up the XBO in the later ones... it was just PS4 vs PC.

That depth of field effect is yuck. Glad we can turn it off. Man I forgot how good this game looks, though. I really do need to re-install the demo. I remember looking at the ground w/ 60fps and then turning around to look at the entire base with max draw distance... and not getting a single frame dropped. Such a good engine. Too bad about the 60fps cap, though. I'd lower my graphic settings even more if it would allow me to play @ 120fps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

It's funny the way the comparisons didn't even bother pairing up the XBO in the later ones... it was just PS4 vs PC.

That depth of field effect is yuck. Glad we can turn it off. Man I forgot how good this game looks, though. I really do need to re-install the demo. I remember looking at the ground w/ 60fps and then turning around to look at the entire base with max draw distance... and not getting a single frame dropped. Such a good engine. Too bad about the 60fps cap, though. I'd lower my graphic settings even more if it would allow me to play @ 120fps.

You PC gamers are never happy. :p

You PC gamers are never happy. :p

Praise: Performance, Engine, Graphics, Graphic options
    Criticise: Framelimit

Yeah so unhappy.

Praise: Performance, Engine, Graphics, Graphic options
    Criticise: Framelimit

Yeah so unhappy.

Relax the cacks buttercup!

What am I hearing about having to pay real € for fultons? How are fultons acquired? I've seen a counter on the U.I., they're not infinite.

Forgot the :pac: to make everything better

So the online portion of this game. It's on PS3 too, right?

Relax the cacks buttercup!

What am I hearing about having to pay real € for fultons? How are fultons acquired? I've seen a counter on the U.I., they're not infinite.

I'd imagine you spend the in-game currency (GMP or whatever it's called) to buy them. Chances are you'll be able to buy the currency using real money too as microtransactions, but that'd be optional.

• Advertisement

Bad Horse wrote: »
    I'd imagine you spend the in-game currency (GMP or whatever it's called) to buy them. Chances are you'll be able to buy the currency using real money too as microtransactions, but that'd be optional.

I better not feel that sting of P2W in the SP even once; we already payed €40 for Ground Zeroes. This last €60 is all Konami will ever see from me again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Gonna play through Ground Zeros this month in preparation. Finished it on the PS3 but I upgraded to a PS4 and got the game free as part of the Ps+. Is it much better on the PS4 if anyone has played both versions?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

. Is it much better on the PS4 if anyone has played both versions?

Yes, the frame rate is double the PS3, better lighting and textures and the draw distance is huge so you can see and tag enemies much further away. It actually makes the game easier, the PS3's limitations make the game harder.

The PC version is a major step up again visually from the PS4, that is amazing looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Where are people planning to buy physical copies of this, I'm guessing Argos will be stocking it?

Normally I'd buy from amazon but I'd like it on day one, plus the exchange is terrible these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Does anyone know where to get the PS4 Collector's edition? Sold out everywhere I've checked (game, gamestop, various amazon stores).

Xbox One version is in plentiful supply however.

Wing126 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where to get the PS4 Collector's edition? Sold out everywhere I've checked (game, gamestop, various amazon stores).

Xbox One version is in plentiful supply however.

Well gone man. Well gone.

Well gone man. Well gone.

Might just get the Xbox version and see if they'll trade the game for a ps4 version so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Where are people planning to buy physical copies of this, I'm guessing Argos will be stocking it?

Normally I'd buy from amazon but I'd like it on day one, plus the exchange is terrible these days.

I'll be getting it in a shop myself.
    Would rather not buy from gamestop. Let's be honest, they'll tag an extra five euro on the game.

So smyths or argos for me.

Would rather not buy from gamestop. Let's be honest, they'll tag an extra five euro on the game.

75 in gamestop... 75. Jesus ****ing christ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

€65 in smyths
    £34.85(€49.24) simplygames
    £37.75(€53.34) the gamecollection

Advertisement