Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Gear Solid V

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

€65 in smyths
    £34.85(€49.24) simplygames
    £37.75(€53.34) the gamecollection

Missing Day 1 on this though lol
    Wing126 wrote: »
    Might just get the Xbox version and see if they'll trade the game for a ps4 version so.

Well not 1-1 they won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

I'd get over that if I got my copy one or two days later as I'd be getting it for a cheaper price . Another option would be buying off the US psn store as its $59.99 which is 54 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Yeah I'm probably going to be getting it a week or a few after release to make sure there's no huge flaws. I'm excited for this game and all but I've still got dozens of other amazing games which need playing and I'll save myself a decent amount of money. By the time I do go to purchase it one of my steam-family-shared connections might've bought it already and I can play it there since they never play anything they buy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Finished up MGS4 earlier and I even though it is easily the worst MGS I still really enjoyed it.

On the gameplay front, the first 3 acts are all great in terms of a sneaking game. It's a pity then regarding Act 4 which is so memorable for where it is but lacks what you expect from an MGS game. Act 5 is pretty much a full on movie.

Bosses were still as poor as I remember though. They're just nowhere near as good as the other games bosses.

And then the cutscenes.. my god are some of them terrible. I'm sure someone has made an edited version of MGS4 that's a lot better to watch through then a lot of the rubbish that is there.

Just started up Peace Walker now and I'm really hoping Kojima takes a lot of what he learned from Peace Walkers cutscenes. I'm very early in but they are a nice length so far and they have a really cool style to them with the comic book effect.

After playing 4, I'm wondering what Kojima will do to link 5 with the Solid games. It wouldn't surprise me if we end up fighting Snake in this.

Yeah I'm probably going to be getting it a week or a few after release to make sure there's no huge flaws.

My immediate thought; "oh he must be buying the PC version" :D

Really hyped for Fallout 4 on PC but I just know that first month is gonna be hell lol...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Underground

Yeah the bosses in mgs4 were pretty weak. I was excited about mantis being in TPP as I was thinking we might see some crazy mind fcuk stuff again, but then I remembered we had a mantis in mgs4 and it was pretty tame. Exact same thing happened to me with scarecrow in arkham knight, was expecting more cool stuff like in arkham asylum but never happened. Here's hoping though.

Wright wrote: »
    My immediate thought; "oh he must be buying the PC version" :D

Really hyped for Fallout 4 on PC but I just know that first month is gonna be hell lol...

I'm actually not even worried about the performance since GZ is great... it's more like maybe Konami will pull a surprise on us since they're so snakey. Konami account for online, promises unfulfilled... who knows. I'd have the same attitude if I was buying it on consoles... lord knows they've had their fair share of launch issues. No point in being the guinea pig. I'm quite against pre-ordering and even day-1 purchases anyway. I'm honestly expecting I'll end up buying it in its release week (if I have the dosh) anyway because I'm confident reports will come back grand. We'll see :D

I'm actually not even worried about the performance since GZ is great... it's more like maybe Konami will pull a surprise on us since they're so snakey. Konami account for online, promises unfulfilled... who knows. I'd have the same attitude if I was buying it on consoles... lord knows they've had their fair share of launch issues. No point in being the guinea pig. I'm quite against pre-ordering and even day-1 purchases anyway. I'm honestly expecting I'll end up buying it in its release week (if I have the dosh) anyway because I'm confident reports will come back grand. We'll see :D

Consoles have some launch issues (like hdmi kicking the bucket on some ps4's) but we have tons more issues both with hardware, like issues with GPU's like coil whine on the new fury, AND software. Its a pain.

MGSV and Fallout will be my only Day 1's this year. Oh; and the Disney Infinity pack with Bobba Fett in it. (Laugh all ye want :P )

I meant launch issues for the games which release with really bad performance, network issues etc. Sometimes they take months to patch or never patched at all.

When it comes to hardware I've had to replace my PS3's controller thrice, the Blu Ray drive once (and now it still chugs on tekken) and have it downgraded in software to not being able to install other OS among other things. Still glad I have it for Yakuza, Tekken etc (and still with free online :D).

Also my PS3 crashed at least 100s of times and I'm not exaggerating. A handful of times in Tekken 6 but mostly just on the XMB when going anywhere near the browser. When I turned it back on it asked me to send an error to sony which I did. They probably have a special folder for all the reports on my PS3 at their HQ from the sheer amount of times it crashed. My PC has crashed much less.

That said, I don't expect too many hardware problems on consoles or PCs, and it's not really what I was saying about MGSV. These days, it's the games that have the issues with optimisation, proprietary middleware and all sorts of bull-feckery. Haven't seen much of that in GZ so I'm feeling optimistic about its launch but there's nothing that will make me buy a game day-one in this day and age.

Nobody answered my question about MGSV having online on PS3. Because if it does that will make it the only console-release of the game where you don't have to pay to play online.

I meant launch issues for the games which release with really bad performance, network issues etc. Sometimes they take months to patch or never patched at all.

When it comes to hardware I've had to replace my PS3's controller thrice, the Blu Ray drive once (and now it still chugs on tekken) and have it downgraded in software to not being able to install other OS among other things. Still glad I have it for Yakuza, Tekken etc (and still with free online :D).

Also my PS3 crashed at least 100s of times and I'm not exaggerating. A handful of times in Tekken 6 but mostly just on the XMB when going anywhere near the browser. When I turned it back on it asked me to send an error to sony which I did. They probably have a special folder for all the reports on my PS3 at their HQ from the sheer amount of times it crashed. My PC has crashed much less.

That's a faulty PS3 not the typical experience at all lol you should've tossed it. Sounds haunted. I've had 3 PS3's due to international moves, one of each model. 0 issues.

In general console releases are much smoother. Even aside from any issues that can arise from the very natures of PC with all of its conflicting drivers etc, crappy ports and games built around consoles are far too prevalent now. Ground Zeroes is the exception rather than the rule. Should mean TPP sees a smooth launch though. Hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That's nothing really to do with ****ty PC hardware though and everything to do with publishers cheaping out and outsourcing the PC ports to incompetent third parties. We saw that with Arkham Knight which should not have been the way it was considering consoles these days differ very differently to PCs. A shame because the previous Batman games with ports done internally by Rocksteady were showcases for just how far ahead PC was compared to the consoles. If there's going to be any issues with PP it will be network issues but then there might be none. GZ on PC really showed just how well the game is optimised for the platform.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    That's nothing really to do with ****ty PC hardware though

Never said it was, most PC gamers here are rocking carefully thought out self built PC's with vanilla windows on top.

In general console releases are much smoother.

If you had said that a few years ago, I'd have agreed. But I've seen more unresolved/partly resolved issues with console releases in the last while. Things like Arkham Knight just get more press because the PC audience make more noise about it. Not to mention most of the 'issues' are often defended on consoles. I've literally seen people defend long loading screens as "Giving you time to think about your mistake" and low-framerates as "cinematic." God forbid you play the XB version of The Evil Within or the unpatched day-1 version. You can google that one.

Can't forget most of Ubisoft's games having performance problems, either. Not even Tetris got a console release without performance issues caused by players' friend-lists. You can't make this stuff up.

That's a faulty PS3 not the typical experience at all lol

Try use the browser daily. You'll have as many crashes as me soon enough. Try play custom music while on Tekken 6. If you play as often as I did you'll get a handful of crashes sooner or later. Fallout crashed on me a lot. Skyrim became unplayable because of that never-resolved save-file issue on PS3.

I've had 3 PS3's due to international moves, one of each model. 0 issues.

2 PS3s. Many issues. First one is no longer up for further testing on account of it being stolen :pac: But it crashed just as much thanks to me using it in the same way (custom tracks on T6, browser usage).

But we're getting a little off-topic here. GZ has performed excellently on all platforms and it's a great that it exists on last-generation consoles if for nothing else than to shut up all that 'only possible on next-generation consoles!" malarkey. It goes to show that most modern games are not doing anything particularly ambitious in terms pushing hardware for any good reason and can easily be ported to last-generation or made to run on lower end PCs with only the obvious things toned down. If you look at games these days nothing really looks much better than Crysis 1 released in 2007 and yet apparently we need better GPUs and the next generation of consoles. The min-requirements increase but I see few good reasons for them to.

This also goes for MGSV but I'm not going to complain too much about that because I think it looks good in most of the important ways. I'm excited to see how well it handles the massive draw-distance when we get hold of the full game in that open-world environment. I'm actually curious as to what is the longest range you can shoot someone with a sniper rifle.

Screw passive playthroughs. I'm going to infiltrate bases in the most efficient way I can which often means breaking a few eggs :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm was always amazed when there wasn't an outcry about any Bethesda games on PS3. I men they were pretty much broken and near unplayable after 20 hours or so.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm was always amazed when there wasn't an outcry about any Bethesda games on PS3. I men they were pretty much broken and near unplayable after 20 hours or so.

There was a massive hubbub concerning Skyrim on PS3. It was actually resolved eventually though.

I've never finished Fallout 3. Got to the end; the giant robot walked up to whatever it had to break through, and just stood there. I was not a happy bunny lol.

Bethesda games at launch are broken on everything. They seem unwilling to let Gamebryo go. Renaming it isn't going to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I'll be playing on ps4 because that's where the bulk of the online community is. My other options are ps3 and a pc pretty similar in strength to my ps4.

Anyway not long to go. Going to preorder on the American psn to save money.

Was originally planning on playing through everything in the series prior to release but there's no time. Will do this next year most likely instead with 5 to top it all off!

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    because that's where the bulk of the online community is.

How will this effect one's experience of the game? Going from ~50'000 concurrent online players to ~100'000 is not going to be a perceivable experience by any one player. I expect to pass perhaps 100s-1000s of other players depending on how much I play the online parts of the game and how many players can be in one instance at a time.

Unless you meant community in some non-gameplay way.

Which makes me wonder how much modding is going to take off on this game considering we were playing as Kojima himself on GZ very soon after its steam release. There seems to be so many weapons and customisability that there'll be very little need for costume and weapon mods which are usually the first to pop up.

I'm thinking it'll take a while before people exhaust the game's base content and they get an idea of what kind of mods would be cool. At least for the mods that add stuff. No doubt someone's gonna find the unrealistic aspect of the suppressors exploding within a few shots quite annoying and add a mod for 'realistic suppressors' and all kinds of changes like that... assuming it's an easy thing to modify.

I'm having a laugh on these image boards... people already posting what their helicopter music is going to be since they mentioned it supporting music files on your system. Some of the choices are comedy gold.

How will this effect one's experience of the game? .

More chance of playing with friends/boardsies I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭TheZPPanda

Unbelievably hyped! Unsure whether to get the NA Digital Version as my PS4 100% save from GZ is from the NA version and I'd like to get the bonuses for that or to chance seeing if I can nab a Collector's Edition closer to the time if someone doesn't pick their's up.

If anyone knows where I could possibly get my hands on the Collector's Edition it'd be great! Looked on eBay but the prices there are quite steep. I'm willing to pay a lot but some of those prices are mad. Sickens me how people pre-ordered only to sell on at a profit

TheZPPanda wrote: »
    Unbelievably hyped! Unsure whether to get the NA Digital Version as my PS4 100% save from GZ is from the NA version and I'd like to get the bonuses for that or to chance seeing if I can nab a Collector's Edition closer to the time if someone doesn't pick their's up.

There's bonuses to be hand. What are they? Would they work from digital to physical? PSN gave GZ away there last month...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I wasn't initially going to, but after rewatching trailers and gameplay vids the last few days, I might book a few days off work to really get stuck into the game.

There's bonuses to be hand. What are they? Would they work from digital to physical? PSN gave GZ away there last month...

I believe Mother Base Staff can be transferred I also 100% an EU PS3 version so I'm good for the bonus stuff really. I just don't know if I want to bother with physical if I can't get the collector's edition!

TheZPPanda wrote: »
    I believe Mother Base Staff can be transferred I also 100% an EU PS3 version so I'm good for the bonus stuff really. I just don't know if I want to bother with physical if I can't get the collector's edition!

That's it? Just lads you chucked in to the helicopter?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Looking forward to seeing how the speed runs pan out, it is fun once you have finished the game to try and do it in under two hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

Does anybody know where they might sell the MGSV soundtrack in Ireland really want to get it.

That's it? Just lads you chucked in to the helicopter?

I think so! I assume they'll have above average stats. The POWs and Kojima specifically

Does anybody know where they might sell the MGSV soundtrack in Ireland really want to get it.

Is there some kind of special package coming out? Sure it'll be on itunes and maybe Google Music.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

Is there some kind of special package coming out? Sure it'll be on itunes and maybe Google Music.
    It's this

http://www.amazon.co.jp/METAL-GEAR-SOLID-ORIGINAL-SOUNDTRACK/dp/B00YAZ90XE/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1439131942&sr=1-2&keywords=Metal+gear+solid+V

I would rather get the physical copy.

Has anybody heard the leaked soundtrack teaser

If you haven't here it is

http://a.pomf.cat/ocxdmy.mp4

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

http://www.discogs.com/ somebody will probably be selling it, although if it does not get a release outside of Japan it will be pretty pricey, picked up both HLM on vinly from a seller on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Ordered for PS4. Have been trying to hold off but I just can't.

Advertisement