Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Gear Solid V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

There's not much to spoil... it takes place before a lot of the later games. We kinda know what happens to all the characters and main story, ultimately. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

We just don't know for 100% that we are actually playing as Big Boss or not. That's the big question.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

There's not much to spoil... it takes place before a lot of the later games. We kinda know what happens to all the characters and main story, ultimately. :pac:

I know what you mean :pac:
    But overall we dont know much about the story and events of this game. I'd rather not even know something such as what happens in a boss battle or whatever :p

We just don't know for 100% that we are actually playing as Big Boss or not. That's the big question.

I'm gonna be playing as Hideo Kojima. Solves everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I'm still expecting David Hayter to show up.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

I'm still expecting David Hayter to show up.

He absolutely will be. In a sizeable Ground Zeroes patch on September 1st and depending how underground he has had to go in Phantom Pain, probably very present. He might even be chilling out on Motherbase. Or on the sub they hid the nuke with during the XOF attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Underground

I've been fine with the whole kiefer replacing hayter situation, probably because in the back of my mind I'm expecting hayter to show up in TPP at some stage. But if it turns out that's he's not involved at all, and they just replaced a pretty beloved actor in what is the very last game in the series, well that would just be enormously sh*tty.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

I can see the series doing a full circle with the game game ending with Solid Snake fighting Big Boss

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I've been fine with the whole kiefer replacing hayter situation, probably because in the back of my mind I'm expecting hayter to show up in TPP at some stage. But if it turns out that's he's not involved at all, and they just replaced a pretty beloved actor in what is the very last game in the series, well that would just be enormously sh*tty.

I'd have no issue with it at all really. Either way, they removed him from the role he'd been playing. Whether or not they allow him to make a minor appearance elsewhere in the game, I'm not really fussed.

Penn wrote: »
    Either way, they removed him from the role he'd been playing.

In the same Solid Snake is the main character of MGS2, sure. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I've finished the main campaign of Peace Walker (30h!) and I think very highly of it now. It's just a great game for quick sessions as you keep getting new missions and they only take 5-10 mins to win.

So now I think I'll take a break and replay Ground Zeroes a few days before The Phantom Pain is out.
    I can see the series doing a full circle with the game game ending with Solid Snake fighting Big Boss

That's kind of what I'm thinking but we'll see.

Wright wrote: »
    In the same Solid Snake is the main character of MGS2, sure. :P

You don't hire Kiefer Sutherland for a practical joke, you hire Nolan North.

You don't hire Kiefer Sutherland for a practical joke, you hire Nolan North.

In what way is it a practical joke? He'll be voicing the main character of MGSV. He just also recorded what, 15-20 lines for Ground Zeroes; for the 'practical joke' ;)

All I'm saying is that regardless of whether there's some twist where we're not actually playing as Big Boss, I have no issues with Hayter not appearing in the game at all, even if they recast someone new as a younger Solid Snake.

All I'm saying is that regardless of whether there's some twist where we're not actually playing as Big Boss, I have no issues with Hayter not appearing in the game at all, even if they recast someone new as a younger Solid Snake.

Solid Snake is about 9 in this game can't see Hayter voicing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Snake Eater was the last Metal Gear I played so I don't have a bulls notion which snake is which anymore or who this Unicorn Snake is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,705 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

tok9 wrote: »
    I've finished the main campaign of Peace Walker (30h!) and I think very highly of it now. It's just a great game for quick sessions as you keep getting new missions and they only take 5-10 mins to win.

Ya the more I think about it the more Peace Walker was a great game. I played it on PS3 rather than Vita. Super game, and like you I loved the short missions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Snake Eater was the last Metal Gear I played so I don't have a bulls notion which snake is which anymore or who this Unicorn Snake is.

In Snake Eater aka MGS3 you played as Big Boss same guy as you play in Ground Zeros and in the Phantom Pain. You just don't get the Big Boss code name until you finish MGS3.

Big Boss (formally known as Naked Snake) real name is John. Solid Snake real name is David. They are the only two Snakes you ever play as in the MGS games.

In Snake Eater aka MGS3 you played as Big Boss same guy as you play in Ground Zeros and in the Phantom Pain. You just don't get the Big Boss code name until you finish MGS3.

Big Boss (formally known as Naked Snake) real name is John. Solid Snake real name is David. They are the only two Snakes you ever play as in the MGS games.

Well, Raiden's initial codename is Snake but they change it early in the mission.

Wright wrote: »
    Solid Snake is about 9 in this game can't see Hayter voicing him.

I meant that in response to this:

ie. If there's a time jump forward at the very end of the game and we see an adult Solid Snake taking on Big Boss as per Metal Gear 1. It could be done similar to Peace Walker where the main story ends, you continue building Mother Base after doing side missions etc, and then a true ending unlocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I meant that in response to this:

ie. If there's a time jump forward at the very end of the game and we see an adult Solid Snake taking on Big Boss as per Metal Gear 1. It could be done similar to Peace Walker where the main story ends, you continue building Mother Base after doing side missions etc, and then a true ending unlocks.

I can see a time jump happening but it's more likely to bring us to Solid defeating Grey Fox and Fox being taken in and ripped down to just his organs euuggh...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

How will this effect one's experience of the game? Going from ~50'000 concurrent online players to ~100'000 is not going to be a perceivable experience by any one player. I expect to pass perhaps 100s-1000s of other players depending on how much I play the online parts of the game and how many players can be in one instance at a time.

Sales on ps4 will be massive compared to PC.

I want to play on ps4 with my friends and all my mgs friends are getting it on Playstation like they always do.

And years from now when only the hardcore remain the ps4 will have a much bigger chunk.

Games like battlefield are a prime example. On ps4 you can get a wider array active maps
    Prime example is dlc maps on unusual game modes. Pc numbers not far behind but it's terrible on ps3/360.

Pc community will be too small after the numbers die down.

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Sales on ps4 will be massive compared to PC.

I very much doubt it. PC gamers are thirsty as hell for console games ;)

PS4 players are also thirsty as hell for actual good games so I bet they're gonna be sucking this up, too. I don't care which platform gets more sales since I'm the consumer and that makes zero difference to me. All that matters is how well it plays, performs, online capabilities, custom helicopter music, control input choice and of course the price of the game, how fast it downloads, backwards compatibility in the future, update frequency, community support in the long-run etc. In these regards the PC version wins out.

About the launch online invasion system. I don't know too much about it but from little bit of reading it's like a base-defence game, right? You set up patrols and a layout that will hopefully get the invaders detected/killed? Sort of like Shinobido: Way of the Ninja. What I'm really worried about in this is are the gamepad-assisting mechanics on during the invasion? I don't mind auto-aim and hand-holding for single player but when it comes to people invading my base I'd be right pissed if they avoided and alert because the game basically aimed for them at the alerted enemy with reflex and all that other stuff. It will change how we have to design our bases.

PS4 players are also thirsty as hell for actual good games so I bet they're gonna be sucking this up, too. I don't care which platform gets more sales since I'm the consumer and that makes zero difference to me. All that matters is how well it plays, performs, online capabilities, custom helicopter music, control input choice and of course the price of the game, how fast it downloads, backwards compatibility in the future, update frequency, community support in the long-run etc. In these regards the PC version wins out.

*Because I don't want to play MGO until January.

**The SP might unlock hours late on Steam too, as several AAA have done this.

:P

About the launch online invasion system. I don't know too much about it but from little bit of reading it's like a base-defence game, right? You set up patrols and a layout that will hopefully get the invaders detected/killed? Sort of like Shinobido: Way of the Ninja. What I'm really worried about in this is are the gamepad-assisting mechanics on during the invasion? I don't mind auto-aim and hand-holding for single player but when it comes to people invading my base I'd be right pissed if they avoided and alert because the game basically aimed for them at the alerted enemy with reflex and all that other stuff. It will change how we have to design our bases.

I imagine the auto-aim etc will be on FOB too. That doesn't bother me as much though, as it obviously works both ways. Reflex mode kicks in for both players if the invader is seen. That time for the defender could help them pinpoint the invader's location or help them get a few shots off themselves. Plus like you say, it will change how we design our bases. Invasions aren't going to be won and lost by your soldiers, and shooting is supposed to be kept to a minimum. It's how you prevent sneaking by having traps everywhere that will be key.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Dunno why everyone keeps thinking David Hayter will show up.

Japanese Snake uses the same VA (Akio Ōtsuka) it's had since MGS1.

Let's just face it: Kojima & Konami suck.

I played MGO2 for all 4 years it was available and enjoyed every last minute of it. If the full online features of MGO3 (when released) are even on par with MGO2 then I'll be playing it for years afterwards aswell. The metal gear community was strong and active back on the PS3 (has since been divided). You can still play MGO2 with some PS3 trickery. The console audience typically has a short attention span. Buy AAA game, play for a few months, move onto the next big thing. This is not the case for oddities and awesomeness such as Monster Hunter but us gaijins don't know about such things now :P It's also not to say say that isn't the case for the majority of casual gamers on PC either. It's just that the PC audience tends to be a little more loyal in community but also (and perhaps more importantly for certain titles/genres) has the hardware and features to back up community and loyalty like with dedicated servers and even trickery similar to what PS3 users are doing for MGO2 but without the need to dedicate one's system (ensuring more interest) like with Forged Alliance Forever fan client for Supreme Commander. Hardware generations also do not cause the community to split since they have inherent backwards compatibility, right back to DOS games if you want.

I honestly do expect the PS4 to win out on sales and online activity for MGSV but not by a perceivable amount to the actual player or the quality of the online experience for its early days. Long-term (a year from now for example) I think the steam online players will still be quite active if MGO3 is actually as fun as MGO2. Games on steam and on PC in general tend to sell steadily for years after where as on console it's within its release season that it makes a huge bulk of its sales and after that the game is almost entirely all selling/trading between consumers rather than retailers or digital stores (and therefore untrackable/no profit to publisher). I think Rockstar still got plenty of sales on PC for GTAIV up to the release of GTAV... bringing them in quite a tidy sum for a game well past its prime.

Oh well, this is all talk in the end. We'll see how active MGSV is on PC now and forever thanks to http://store.steampowered.com/stats/ Gotta love transparent data.

I do hope that MGO3 is an amazing experience like MGO2 and would love to play with boardsies if/when full online features are released.

And Wright... I haven't forgotten about dem fightin' words of yours!

drebin-eye-have-you-o.gif
    I imagine the auto-aim etc will be on FOB too. That doesn't bother me as much though, as it obviously works both ways. Reflex mode kicks in for both players if the invader is seen. That time for the defender could help them pinpoint the invader's location or help them get a few shots off themselves. Plus like you say, it will change how we design our bases. Invasions aren't going to be won and lost by your soldiers, and shooting is supposed to be kept to a minimum. It's how you prevent sneaking by having traps everywhere that will be key.

I get it but I just detest slowing down the game to help someone when it's competitive. There's plenty of traps and patrol placements that will be much less effective if the invader has the chance to easily take out a single alerted enemy and defuse the situation thanks to absolutely no effort on their part in terms of aiming, reaction time or awareness. You may even need to set up the environment under the assumption that "Well if they get caught here they'll definitely just reflex KO/Kill the guard" and then need to follow up with even more countermeasures.

I didn't know that you could be present in the level while it's being invaded. I thought it would just be something you build and watch to see if you designed it securely enough.

Now that we're talking about reflex in invasions... that begs the question... what is the actual difficulty of the enemy A.I, damage output and behaviour during these things? I hope it's hard. And isn't reflex not available during hard mode? Confused.com :pac:

• Advertisement

Demo showing the Invasions was released about 2 weeks ago

Basically when your base is invaded, if you're playing the game anyway you can jump in and defend the base yourself, or one of your friends can try defend it for you either. Not sure if it can be attacked when you're not playing the game, but I imagine if it can then it's just left to your defenses to try and stop the invasion.

Reflex mode is definitely available during invasions though. It slows down time for both players, so like I said, it can be used to the defender's advantage too, giving you time to try and locate the invader.

Advertisement