Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Gear Solid V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

How do people feel about this not being 100% open world? As in the modern conventions of what an open world is, go anywhere, do anything etc.

Seems to be an amped up Peace Walker which is essentially linear missions in an open-ish world.

Don't mind. Witcher 3, while amazing with a fantastic world, has worn me out on huge open world games for a while anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Open world is overrate and rarely done for the right reasons. Often it's just a whole load of nothing between the actual content of the game and drives up production costs to insane amounts without giving the player anything particularly good. With the detail, size and scale of the actual mission areas that we've seen so far from videos and GZ I think it's plenty big enough for TPP. I'm more interested in FOB which will hopefully provide endless variation and new, interesting bases to infiltrate.

That said, I am interested in what is the longest-range shot a person can take against an NPC or other player. I really hope they don't artificially limit the draw-distance on PC. Open world and size are two different things, however. I DO want massive levels where extremely long range strategy can take place... mostly for the pvp.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

How do people feel about this not being 100% open world? As in the modern conventions of what an open world is, go anywhere, do anything etc.

Seems to be an amped up Peace Walker which is essentially linear missions in an open-ish world.

Absolutely delighted with that. As you said it's similar to Peace Walker where you will probably just be going back and forth but the "open world" element allows you to tackle these missions whatever way you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Underground

Linear doesn't necessarily mean bad, just like open world is no guarantee of high quality.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

We've been crying out for a game with an 'open' world where the designers are brave enough to close it off when needed to progress the narrative, level design or mechanics - the best of an open world with the best of a guided experience. If Kojima pulls it off, it could be very memorable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭iggyigauna89

PC Physical release is a go! A bit too steep for me though . . . . . €70!! Get outta here!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Yeah not too pushed about it not being open world. I think the game lends itself well to a more linear map. In something like the Witcher or Skyrim or Fallout etc you can generally deal with most enemies and groups of enemies by the mid levels so there's no real need to be cautious when tramping around the map. In MGS its supposed to be a sneak around and avoid type experience (nominally anyway). I certainly wouldn't fancy slow creeping my way from one end of the Skyrim map to the other. Tight, relatively linear and smaller action areas suit the MGS series better IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Hela

Guys, I could not be more hyped for his game. Just recently I've:
    - got all the trophies in GZ on PS4 and X1
    - got a platinum on MGS3 on the Vita
    - re-watched all of MGS1-4 on Giantbomb.com (don't have a PS3 to replay them) and I'm doing it again now
    - re-played Peace Walker
    - ordered the limited edition PS4 from Gamestop

The wait is killing me. Anyone working in Gamestop/HMV in the city who would sell the game on the 31st afternoon?

BTW - Kojima is editing the launch trailer, most likely the last one he'll ever make for the series as well, hope it's epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ibstar

"Ocelot" spinning guns :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

ibstar wrote: »
    "Ocelot" spinning guns :D

Youtube vid...

Much better... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGNdnlCbfMs&feature=youtu.be&t=137

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Hela wrote: »
    BTW - Kojima is editing the launch trailer, most likely the last one he'll ever make for the series as well, hope it's epic.

Ah for f*ck sake, not another trailer... :mad:

I can't stop repeatedly watching the trailers we already have, let alone adding another one into the mix :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

But its the last Kojima trailer! Exciting.

It is exciting!

Can't wait for the review embargo to be lifted, which is supposed to be the 23rd.

Lots of jurnos as well as mega-fans/youtube personalities are attending the review event over the next 2 days I think.
    Yong (of the amazing YongYea YT MGS channel) is there as well, can't wait for his impressions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

Hela wrote: »
    Yong (of the amazing YongYea YT MGS channel) is there as well, can't wait for his impressions.

Can't stand this youtube personality personally, hate how he's maneuvered himself as some kind of authority on MGS. Dumb put on voice and dumb circular logic theories.

Wright wrote: »
    Can't stand this youtube personality personally, hate how he's maneuvered himself as some kind of authority on MGS. Dumb put on voice and dumb circular logic theories.

Ah I think he's alright, he works hard in fairness. Although he does seem to be very conscious in trying to turn himself into some sort of brand.

Never really noticed him putting on an especially dumb voice, but I think that this trailer/gameplay analysis videos are excellent.

I just read TPP will have Nvidia Gameworks. The disappointment I feel cannot be expressed in words.

I just read TPP will have Nvidia Gameworks. The disappointment I feel cannot be expressed in words.

In what capacity? Gameworks is the new Optimus, such a bad move.

PS4 confirmed best version :P

In what capacity? Gameworks is the new Optimus, such a bad move.

PS4 confirmed best version :P

http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2015/06/15/metal-gear/

Our engineers are signed up to work closely with Konami to get the graphics just right and to add special effects. - See more at: http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2015/06/15/metal-gear/#sthash.YhJmN0la.dpuf

That's Nvidiaspeak for them injecting AMD-killing aids directly into TPP's bloodstream at the cost of performance for everyone just to do generic special effects (that are not any better looking that any other non-GW game does) and so they can have their logos all over it.

I pray to Zeus that this can all be turned off. I don't want TPP to perform worse than GZ.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

*gently pets GTX970*

• Advertisement

*gently pets GTX970*

Wouldn't be petting that disaster of a card at all lol. Just cross your fingers and pray for no stutter, MGSV is a very open world game. The 3.5+5GB 970 stutters with lots of games based on what I've seen on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Wouldn't be petting that disaster of a card at all lol. Just cross your fingers and pray for no stutter, MGSV is a very open world game. The 3.5+5GB 970 stutters with lots of games based on what I've seen on youtube.

never noticed any stuttering on any games ive played with it.
    Excellent card to be honest :)
    maybe its you're con on youtube ? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I've been reading the spoilers, and its just made me more excited for the game :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

The talk on this thread has me wanting the game so much more than the actual promo material. Took the plunge for the day 1 digital edition currently installing it, ready for 12:01am on release.

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    never noticed any stuttering on any games ive played with it.
    Excellent card to be honest :)
    maybe its you're con on youtube ? :pac:

Nah the 970 debacle is extremely well documented.

Watching the Peace Walker movie on youtube now getting hyep!

I've been reading the spoilers, and its just made me more excited for the game :D

Why would ya do that to yourself?

Why would ya do that to yourself?

Spoiler better be kept out of this thread. Even hinting at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

So is there going to be a boards MGSV clan? I'll have feck all friends playing this so twould be nice to have some people that could defend my FOB when I'm not around.

Oh and here's some spoilers I saw today in case anyone wants to see them
    SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

So is there going to be a boards MGSV clan? I'll have feck all friends playing this so twould be nice to have some people that could defend my FOB when I'm not around.

Oh and here's some spoilers I saw today in case anyone wants to see them
    SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

Oh why did I check the spoilers, so feckin mad at myself now. That is absolutely shocking stuff, didn't expect them to go in that direction.

• Advertisement

There's no spoilers for this game we all know what happens to literally everyone and everything thanks to MGS1,2,4 and Rising. :pac:

+1 on the boards clan, though.

I have an Nvidia card myself but still despise any gameworks malarkey. It makes every game run worse, simple as that. If I can turn it off and get GZ performance I'll be happy as a clown, though.

Here's a good video on gittin' gud at aiming. Best pad aiming I've ever seen.

Advertisement