Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Gear Solid V

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Lay off the petty bickering, please. This discussion is done, as it ain't going anywhere, and it's going there slowly.

Certain posters' tendency to drag threads into said bickering recently has been duly noted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Hey lads I was just thinking...

Y'know the way they added Ground Zeros if you pre-order. I'm completely against pre-orders... but then I remembered steam refunds. I could pre order and then just not play over 2 hours and see if Nvidia gameworks really has taken the life of another title... then refund it based on that if need be.

However with the 'extras' they've added I'm thinking it could be another publisher trick just like what R* did on GTAV in that it's actually just there so that you cannot refund it due to a loophole in the steam system and how it processes refunds (gets mixed up when there's multiple items). We all know that AAA are scared of refunds now since Arkham Knight and are either 1. Getting their act together or 2. Finding ways around it.

Man... you really can't have any faith in this industry anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Anyone else not like the alarm response? You'd swear SOP is already invented. After they say, "Contact!" the alarm sounds and every soldier knows where you are. Shouldn't they have to radio it in? I don't mind nearby soldiers hearing the yelling and they can radio it in too in case you do manage to neutralise the one that spotted you. In fact I've headshotted a soldier after he said, "Contact" and did it just in time before the hivemind tapped into it and I got no alert. What the hell is this?

I also don't mind more advanced enemies later on using headsets and advanced formations or something where they'd know right away when one of them signals your presence.

This annoyed the **** out of me in GZ. In the end it does force you to be much stealthier - but it's so far from reality, and even from the rest of the MGS games. One of the most fun and best things about MGS2 was being able to shoot the radio to disable it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Embargoes from the review event are up Monday morning between 1-2 I believe. The GT crew said their review will be up then anyway so I assume that goes for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

tok9 wrote: »
    Embargoes from the review event are up Monday morning between 1-2 I believe. The GT crew said their review will be up then anyway so I assume that goes for everyone.

I trust they'll still be forced to be fairly tight-lipped when it comes to story details, so the reviews shouldn't be too spoilery. Still not sure if I'll read any of them though, just in case.

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    I trust they'll still be forced to be fairly tight-lipped when it comes to story details, so the reviews shouldn't be too spoilery. Still not sure if I'll read any of them though, just in case.

I'm sure it'll depend on the publication. I'll check that out as I know they won't spoil.. Might leave the rest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Some Spanish gaming magazine has reviewed the game. They gave it 97/100. Accordingly "Plot twists are said to be mind blowing and are going to exceed all expectations".

Really can't wait to play this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

30 minute Spoiler free review of MGSV from Greg Miller.

People actually care what these think about an MGS game? I wouldn't trust any review given the state of video game journalism... not that I need one for MGSV. I will be relying on you boardsies to start yapping about the game to give me an idea on its goods/bads as well as some image boards.

There's very few critics I'd listen to. There's also something untrustworthy about the opinion of someone who never has to spend a cent on the game in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Yeah, MGS is one of those games where reviews/public opinion don't matter. It's an instant buy for me.

• Advertisement

About the alerts again,

It seems that this pre SOP hivemind that enemies tap into to set off a site-wide alarm is even snappier when the NPCs are in non-standard animation states. Anywhere where they cannot flinch in reaction to seeing you (giving you a second to shoot them if you're quick enough or are a scrub and have reflex turned on) will have an instant alert.

For example, if they're climbing up a ladder and you're waiting to ambush them don't bother. The millisecond you're in their field of view the whole area will be on alert. Same thing happens when they're in vehicles, driving or just being passengers, you'll get instant SOP alarm the second the sight you.

This is... quite honestly pretty bad. I hope this is refined in TPP but I feel like it's probably something they've missed or don't feel is important.

People actually care what these think about an MGS game? I wouldn't trust any review given the state of video game journalism... not that I need one for MGSV.

There's very few critics I'd listen to. There's also something untrustworthy about the opinion of someone who never has to spend a cent on the game in the first place.

The good old game journalism conspiracy. Like you said if there are people who you generally find good and agree with, stick with them. That's usually a good idea.

There is some footage in there (it's all been used before) but no story spoilers are given.

It does sound like all those lengthy cutscenes have been replaced with cassette tapes which is a good thing really.

About the alerts again,

It seems that this pre SOP hivemind that enemies tap into to set off a site-wide alarm is even snappier when the NPCs are in non-standard animation states. Anywhere where they cannot flinch in reaction to seeing you (giving you a second to shoot them if you're quick enough or are a scrub and have reflex turned on) will have an instant alert.

For example, if they're climbing up a ladder and you're waiting to ambush them don't bother. The millisecond you're in their field of view the whole area will be on alert. Same thing happens when they're in vehicles, driving or just being passengers, you'll get instant SOP alarm the second the sight you.

This is... quite honestly pretty bad. I hope this is refined in TPP but I feel like it's probably something they've missed or don't feel is important.

Genuinely not trying to be smart here, but surely the point is to not enter into reflex mode at all by not being seen. If enemies are seeing you while they're climbing ladders or driving by in vehicles, you're too visible.

I also disagree about the site-wide alerts. I missed a reflex headshot last week and the alert was raised. I CQC'd the guard, ran for a bit and hid behind a concrete barrier at the side of the road. Because no-one had seen me hide there, when the search team came and were looking for me, at one point they were literally the other side of the barrier that I was at, but with their guns pointed to where I had been seen. They were so close that I could have CQC'd one of the guards over the barrier, but no one had seen me go there because I CQC'd the first guard.

I honestly think the system they have is pretty good. It rewards stealth and punishes you when you're seen, but even when you've been seen it's still pretty fair in how it lets you escape.

Lowest score I've seen so far has been 9/10. Most have been 9.5+.

Winner Winner Chicken-Hat Dinner
    30323.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Genuinely not trying to be smart here, but surely the point is to not enter into reflex mode at all by not being seen. If enemies are seeing you while they're climbing ladders or driving by in vehicles, you're too visible.

I also disagree about the site-wide alerts. I missed a reflex headshot last week and the alert was raised. I CQC'd the guard, ran for a bit and hid behind a concrete barrier at the side of the road. Because no-one had seen me hide there, when the search team came and were looking for me, at one point they were literally the other side of the barrier that I was at, but with their guns pointed to where I had been seen. They were so close that I could have CQC'd one of the guards over the barrier, but no one had seen me go there because I CQC'd the first guard.

I honestly think the system they have is pretty good. It rewards stealth and punishes you when you're seen, but even when you've been seen it's still pretty fair in how it lets you escape.

But based on the games place within the MGS timeline a site wide alert shouldn't happen as the tech hasn't been invented yet? I guess if they are driving it can be easily radio'd in but if they are climbing a ladder the alert should end the second you take out the guard climbing the ladder.

* my knowledge on MGS is minimal at best.

rizzla wrote: »
    But based on the games place within the MGS timeline a site wide alert shouldn't happen as the tech hasn't been invented yet? I guess if they are driving it can be easily radio'd in but if they are climbing a ladder the alert should end the second you take out the guard climbing the ladder.

* my knowledge on MGS is minimal at best.

Well the Ground Zeroes map isn't that huge. I'm sure just a guard shouting "Contact!" would be enough to alert some of the other nearby enemies.

To be fair.. it is definitely one thing that I feel has gone backwards since MGS2/3. The guards radioing in was great.

It's just missing from MGS4 too I believe and now it has basically been replaced with reflex time.

I definitely prefer the old way but we'll see once I get some more time in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Underground

I'd generally trust Jim Sterling's reviews,he tends to be fair. But yeah, I'd tend to stay away from most others. IGN always stick out as the worst of the worst for me, gave up on them when they gave final Fantasy 13 a 9/10.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

USgamer did a pre-review write up which was extremely positive. Between Bob Mackey, Kat Bailey and Jermey Parish who have played the game at various review/preview stages they all seem to adore it and think it could be Kojima's best.

I'd generally trust Jim Sterling's reviews,he tends to be fair. But yeah, I'd tend to stay away from most others. IGN always stick out as the worst of the worst for me, gave up on them when they gave final Fantasy 13 a 9/10.

I rarely used to watch Youtubers reviews etc, but over the past week or so I've watched a lot of Jim Sterling & Angry Joe videos, and have to say I find them generally to be on point with most stuff.

• Advertisement

Genuinely not trying to be smart here, but surely the point is to not enter into reflex mode at all by not being seen.

For the record, I have reflex off.
    If enemies are seeing you while they're climbing ladders or driving by in vehicles, you're too visible.

They see me waiting at the top of the ladder just as they get there... with my gun pointed to their heads. They don't scream contact, they don't radio in, they barely say anything and within less than a second the alarm sounds like their brain is hooked up to a hivemind. And the ladder/vehicles are the only 2 areas I've personally noticed. Who knows how many strategies, traps and playstyles are borked because of this crazy SOP system in the full game.
    I also disagree about the site-wide alerts. I missed a reflex headshot last week and the alert was raised.

Again I don't know much about that. I've been practicing my aiming with KB/M and unless the enemy is at a totally different elevation to me and I'm focused, I can snap and headshot them without reflex before they call before the arbitrary miliseconds from their yelling to the hivemind alert.

It rewards never being seen but also limits a lot of other stealthy options such as certain kinds of ambushes like the two I had experience with. You now cannot jump out from a bush and instantly silently headshot 2 enemies that are in a jeep with your aiming skils because when they're driving they have the hivemind ability. However you CAN do that on footsoldiers. Why is that? It's a crazy restriction that is absolute binded to the criticisms I have about the alert system. So it may not be terrible but I don't think it's a pretty good system, either. It's honestly the most frustrating thing I found about GZ.

Ah. No that's fair enough criticism then. Like I said I've never really noticed much of that myself. I usually either just try to avoid everyone or go in all guns blazing.

Has there been any word on any kind of companion app for the game?

Ah. No that's fair enough criticism then. Like I said I've never really noticed much of that myself. I usually either just try to avoid everyone or go in all guns blazing.

Has there been any word on any kind of companion app for the game?

There was one for the Ground Zeroes game so hopefully this will get one too.

There was one for the Ground Zeroes game so hopefully this will get one too.

Yeah it was really handy having the iPad with the map open all the time beside you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Want to play this, don't want to give Konami any money.

What do?

Sounds cool. It'd be nice if they added a constant map as render able on a second screen. That way you don't even need any separate device or software... just let the game run it. I wish Supreme Commander wasn't the only game that did ever did that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The real question now is, should I buy it for PS3 (720p30), PC (not sure what speed my laptop can do - 720p60?) or wait until I get a PS4 (1080p60)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Deep Six

IGN review is up -
    10 - Masterpiece

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

tok9 wrote: »

There is some footage in there (it's all been used before) but no story spoilers are given.

It does sound like all those lengthy cutscenes have been replaced with cassette tapes which is a good thing really.

I hated MGS 4 with it's cut scenes that actually put me to sleep so lost interest in the series but that video makes V look class! Might throw on Ground Zeroes to see how I like it and if this would be worth getting.

• Advertisement

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I hated MGS 4 with it's cut scenes that actually put me to sleep so lost interest in the series but that video makes V look class! Might throw on Ground Zeroes to see how I like it and if this would be worth getting.

Just to note, Ground Zeroes is essentially crumbs compared to the cake the Phantom Pain appears to be. But it'll give you a good feel for the core gameplay though, and is the prologue to Phantom Pain story-wise so definitely worth playing if you're considering getting it.

Also, be sure to play the side missions in Ground Zeroes too (not just the main mission). Some of them require much different techniques and objectives, and some of them take place during the day too so stealth is even more challenging.

Advertisement