Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Gear Solid V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Indeed. Achievements on multiplayer is bad because the multiplayer should always be played for its own sake and not bring in the achievement collecting crowd as well as issues with when the servers eventually go down there's no way to get the achievements.

I think Far Cry 2 had the worst online trophies for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Narcissus

Here is an unboxing of the MGSV PS4

It looks seriously nice.

https://.youtube.com/watch?v=mOACApi-Qe4

FTFY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Had another blast of ground zeros today. Was great. Finished the extraction, the sniper team elimination and the cassette tape one. I'm not really one for rankings or anything but I felt a bit hard done by to have points taken off for killing people in the extraction mission. Your not given a choice in it. Finished the other two with no alerts, was particularly proud of the cassette tape one as I used the apc to hide in plain site. Silly marines. Them aa guns are gonna get it tomorrow.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Indeed. Achievements on multiplayer is bad because the multiplayer should always be played for its own sake and not bring in the achievement collecting crowd as well as issues with when the servers eventually go down there's no way to get the achievements.

I think Far Cry 2 had the worst online trophies for me.

Very annoying in assassins creed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Underground

Had another blast of ground zeros today. Was great. Finished the extraction, the sniper team elimination and the cassette tape one. I'm not really one for rankings or anything but I felt a bit hard done by to have points taken off for killing people in the extraction mission. Your not given a choice in it. Finished the other two with no alerts, was particularly proud of the cassette tape one as I used the apc to hide in plain site. Silly marines. Them aa guns are gonna get it tomorrow.

Yeah the extraction one is pretty tough to get through without killing anyone, it can be done though, you also get a trophy if you manage to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Does anyone know if gamestop still does that 25% extra on pre orders thing? Gotta pay for that MGS special edition PS4 somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Accordingly there are walkthroughs popping up on youtube.
    Time to avoid anything mgs related.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Accordingly there are walkthroughs popping up on youtube.
    Time to avoid anything mgs related.

I've done well so far to avoid as many as possible, haven't seen anything since well before E3, and I deliberately didn't watch the E3 coverage....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

All the online stuff won't be released till October anyway. Besides who plays the MGS series for the MP aspect. I know I haven't and never will. MGS is all about the crazy story.

Metal Gear Online releases October (and previous installments were actually very very popular).

FOB should be launching September 1st. Some are starting to worry its behind a paywall though, big thread about it on neogaf. Will have to wait and see though.

PC though. Might have to wait for a sale and get it cheap as possible.

Ebay codes given away with GPU's is your best bet :)
    Does anyone know if gamestop still does that 25% extra on pre orders thing? Gotta pay for that MGS special edition PS4 somehow.

I believe now that they've locked that behind tiered membership cards which you have to buy. About 16 quid I reckon, up to yerself whether you feel that's worth it or not. I stick with the cheapest free card myself.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    The real question now is, should I buy it for PS3 (720p30), PC (not sure what speed my laptop can do - 720p60?) or wait until I get a PS4 (1080p60)...

I'd say PS3 or PC. On the PS3 you wont have to pay for online and it's still a decent console. That said, 30fps will hurt your controller responsiveness and apparently the draw distance is so bad on PS3 it makes the game more difficult due to not being able to see threats as far away.

For PC, use the PS4 fund to upgrade the hardware to play it at PS4 capabilities or very likely more. Unless there's any huge downfalls on release I honestly think TPP on Steam is shaping up to be the definitive version. Even if you don't upgrade, play it @720p. After-all... graphics don't matter right? :pac:

I was thining about that app again.

It's pretty much never going to happen that they'll make it a native feature in the game rendering on a secondary monitor so I guess I'll just emulate a mobile platform onto my secondary or tertiary screen and loophole it that way. Not what I like to have to do but a constant map feed might turn out to be something I eventually cannot live without... especially if it works with FOB and MGO. It might even give a player a slight edge over others if you think about it :eek: It would allow me to disable the mini-map too so I can have a minimalistic HUD.

Wright wrote: »
    Ebay codes given away with GPU's is your best bet :)

I believe now that they've locked that behind tiered membership cards which you have to buy. About 16 quid I reckon, up to yerself whether you feel that's worth it or not. I stick with the cheapest free card myself.

I actually have level 3 already, bought my way up to it. Long as they're doing it thats super.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Wright wrote: »
    FOB should be launching September 1st. Some are starting to worry its behind a paywall though, big thread about it on neogaf. Will have to wait and see though.

It's not behind a paywall. Already been confirmed. You can get the currency in game and via microtransactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'd say PS3 or PC. On the PS3 you wont have to pay for online and it's still a decent console. That said, 30fps will hurt your controller responsiveness and apparently the draw distance is so bad on PS3 it makes the game more difficult due to not being able to see threats as far away.

For PC, use the PS4 fund to upgrade the hardware to play it at PS4 capabilities or very likely more. Unless there's any huge downfalls on release I honestly think TPP on Steam is shaping up to be the definitive version. Even if you don't upgrade, play it @720p. After-all... graphics don't matter right? :pac:

I'll run GZ tonight and see how I fare.

Low draw distance would put me off PS3 version alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

tok9 wrote: »
    It's not behind a paywall. Already been confirmed. You can get the currency in game and via microtransactions.

Aye, it's the usual craic. You can earn everything in-game, or you can pay to speed things up. Personally I'm going to play the almighty hell out of the singleplayer stuff and have a way of earning loads of materials/resources through Mother Base before setting up any FOBs, so hopefully when I do set up a FOB I'll have enough to hit the ground running with it and set up a good base fairly quickly.

Penn wrote: »
    Aye, it's the usual craic. You can earn everything in-game, or you can pay to speed things up. Personally I'm going to play the almighty hell out of the singleplayer stuff and have a way of earning loads of materials/resources through Mother Base before setting up any FOBs, so hopefully when I do set up a FOB I'll have enough to hit the ground running with it and set up a good base fairly quickly.

Do you need to have an FOB to invade other players' FOBs? Stealing from players like yourself Penn sounds like a profitable way to gather resources quickly. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Does anyone know if a player has to be online in order for you to invade their FOB? I'm not sure if that's been made clear or not before. If they don't, then the best way to get resources for your own FOB is to go to someone elses and balloon everything you can get your hands on. The AI will be a lot easier to deal with than other players. I could see a lot of people doing that and just quitting if they find themselves up against another player. Granted, other players will be given the FOB coordinates of those who stole from them, so they can get revenge. So it'll hopefully all even out.

Do you need to have an FOB to invade other players' FOBs? Stealing from players like yourself Penn sounds like a profitable way to gather resources quickly. :pac:

YOU STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM MY FOB! :mad::mad::mad:

Ahem... I mean, yes, I believe you do. To borrow a quote from The Wire, "Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean, sh*t, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it."

Once you set up your FOB, you can invade other people's FOBs, and they can invade yours. So I think you're either in the FOB system, or you're not.

humanji wrote: »
    Does anyone know if a player has to be online in order for you to invade their FOB? I'm not sure if that's been made clear or not before. If they don't, then the best way to get resources for your own FOB is to go to someone elses and balloon everything you can get your hands on. The AI will be a lot easier to deal with than other players. I could see a lot of people doing that and just quitting if they find themselves up against another player. Granted, other players will be given the FOB coordinates of those who stole from them, so they can get revenge. So it'll hopefully all even out.

Something I've been wondering myself. I think they said in the gameplay video of it that even if you're not online, someone on your friends list can defend it for you.

Either way, I think it's best to assume your base is going to be attacked when you're not online and design your defenses as such. But yeah I agree it'll definitely be easier to invade bases without an actual player defending it.

I really hope FOBs can't be invaded unless the person is online. Seems unfair to not give them the chance to personally jump in and defend. Sure that's the fun part, too.

The A.I is actually ridiculously easy to outsmart if you've got a full set of tools going in (silenced rifle, smoke grenade, basic stuff) To any serious players they're basically a non-issue so being able to invade offline players' FOBs would pretty much be 100% garaunteed loot. I'd say only the most heavily fortified late-game FOBs with turrets, shield guards, cameras, sensors and maybe some other weird Metal Gear Magic would possibly surprise high level players enough for it to be a challenge for the invader. The removal of a health bar actually makes it so that even if you're getting caught you can still brute force it with competency in a firefight due to the wolverine healing making areas defeatable with trial and error.

@Penn I'mma take all your stuff :P

Joke! Hell if you're on the Steam version I might even protect it. We boardsies should stick together. Americans sure like to invade a lot. Remember Demon's Souls? They changed the US art to the invader spirit which I thought was funny as hell.

• Advertisement

@Penn I'mma take all your stuff :P

Joke! Hell if you're on the Steam version I might even protect it. We boardsies should stick together. Americans sure like to invade a lot. Remember Demon's Souls? They changed the US art to the invader spirit which I thought was funny as hell.

Ha, I'll be on PS4. It'll cost you a lot more than microtransactions to invade my FOB now :D

I agree though, we should set up Boards clans for both protecting FOBs and also for MGO when it comes out.

Here's some info from GiantBomb regarding FOBs:

-FOBs are developed in your single player campaign, using resources that you've gathered and soldiers you've recruited. You can customize the defenses and staff to some degree.
    -FOBs generate resources that can be used to develop your Mother Base.
    -Your FOBs can be attacked by other players (and in turn you can attack others), but your single player home, Mother Base, can never by invaded by other players.
    -The invasions are always 1v1.
    -You receive an alert that your FOBs are under attack while you are playing, and can pause the mission you are on to go and defend your base.
    -Your FOBs can be attacked while you are offline. Players on your friends list can help defend your base in your stead.
    -You can take your FOBs totally offline, rendering them unable to be attacked, but you cannot attack anyone yourself. It is rumored that you will not accrue any resources as well; this mode may be intended to allow you to edit your FOBs layout without the fear of an attack.

There's more info at the link, I won't paste it all. Did find this interesting though:
    -If you (the invader) are never detected and make it to the goal, the defender will not learn the location of your FOBs or be able to directly retaliate against you.

• Had another blast of ground zeros today. Was great. Finished the extraction, the sniper team elimination and the cassette tape one. I'm not really one for rankings or anything but I felt a bit hard done by to have points taken off for killing people in the extraction mission. Your not given a choice in it. Finished the other two with no alerts, was particularly proud of the cassette tape one as I used the apc to hide in plain site. Silly marines. Them aa guns are gonna get it tomorrow.

It's actually not that hard. I completed this yesterday. Use the non leathal shotgun on the marines, its very accurate. Only tricky bit is shooting the guys driving the trucks. You also have to blow up the tank with the rpg. Make sure you don't blow up the tank near incapacited marines on the ground. You also have to use the non leathal shotgun to shoot the gunners on the chopper at the end.

The A.I is actually ridiculously easy to outsmart if you've got a full set of tools going in (silenced rifle, smoke grenade, basic stuff) To any serious players they're basically a non-issue so being able to invade offline players' FOBs would pretty much be 100% garaunteed loot. I'd say only the most heavily fortified late-game FOBs with turrets, shield guards, cameras, sensors and maybe some other weird Metal Gear Magic would possibly surprise high level players enough for it to be a challenge for the invader. The removal of a health bar actually makes it so that even if you're getting caught you can still brute force it with competency in a firefight due to the wolverine healing making areas defeatable with trial and error.

I'd say invasions could become tricky enough. Enough guards, traps set at the good loot, guards with body armour & helmets, cameras concealed where invaders won't notice them.

One thing I haven't seen is how you actually place defenses/cameras/traps etc. Good camera placement could make or break your entire defense system, by hiding it in an alcove etc.

That would explain my use of speculative language. It was a comment made due to the thread on Neogaf started yesterday which I mentioned.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1101174

In my personal opinion FOB wasn't available to reviewers because of Day 1 patches etc. but we just won't know until release. We also have no idea how much the grind will have to be to earn these coins; it may very well be an unreasonable amount of time. We simply don't know yet.
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I'll run GZ tonight and see how I fare.

Low draw distance would put me off PS3 version alright.

My personal opinion is don't do it. GZ on PS3 is horrendous looking; I literaly went through it once. Thought that's all I wanted out of it. Got it on PC, played through it several times. Night and day. Then another few times when it came to PS4 PS+. Take out a small bank loan if you have to, to get a PS4 or some PC hardware. Just be warned, PC isn't getting Metal Gear Online until January.

Seven days folks! #teamgreyfox #teamchico #allforrevenge :P

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ground Zeroes downloaded, read up on the entire history of Big Boss (Jaysus!), ready to lash into it tonight see how I like it. Haven't enjoyed a stealth em up game in yonks but MGS 1 is one of my favourite games of all time so hopefully this can rekindle the genre for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭pittsburgh

Has anyone heard of the best price for the games itself in dublin?

Usually order of VGP but want this on day 1.

I presume GameStop will be dearest at 75?

Argos be any better?

pittsburgh wrote: »

Argos be any better?

Usually 60 odd in argos is it not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

pittsburgh wrote: »

Argos be any better?

Argos should be 62.99, the price will be higher when it first comes on the system and then they put a discount on it on launch day, well for the last year that's what they have been doing with new releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Launch trailer edited by Kojima. I haven't watched it (not sure if I will) but it does sound like there are spoilers in it.

So do not watch if you don't want any spoilers at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Launch trailer edited by Kojima. I haven't watched it (not sure if I will) but it does sound like there are spoilers in it.

So do not watch if you don't want any spoilers at all

There are spoilers in it, a big one at around 02.50 supposedly.

Advertisement