Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Gear Solid V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Finished up on mission 12 tonight and it was a good one as you need to cover a huge area. Really enjoyed that and everything that followed.

Finally have DD too and he is awesome. Might be making it too easy even as he spots pretty much everything that is near you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Have to say I'm not impressed with the loading times considering the average graphics.

I finished the first mission, cut scene then it says installing game, please wait 496 seconds. An hour passes so I close the game and turn it back on, have to watch the same cut scene again, then it says installing game please wait 491 seconds. That was another hour ago.

I have an SSD in my PS4 so this is taking the piss big time. 3 hours with the game and only one mission in because of loading and installs with only 57mins of actual gameplay. Have to say the game does not look anything like the E3 vidoes, I thought it would be an improvement of GZ as they had a year to work on it. I guess that's what happens when you don't ditch last gen consoles.

The gameplay better make up for this as I'm not getting my Metal Gear vibe from this at all so far. So far it's just bad camera placement, clunky controls, so so graphics and Jack Bauer phoning in his lines. Don't even know what's wrong with the massive loading times and installing.

Think I'll go back to the MGS HD collection on the PS3 while this takes whatever hours it needs to install on the PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Was joking to myself about fultoning two of every animal and creating my own noah's ark and then around mission 10
    you get to build your own zoo
    This game is incredible

Favourite moment so far was on Mission 12
    "Take on me" by A-ha blaring from the chopper as metal gear is firing rockets at me LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

So it seems Kojima really wants me to know he made this game. I've watched 10 sets of credits at his stage, I thought I would only see credits at the end. Not sure what that is all about.

Graphics are great as is the sound. Haven't really got into yet and it has a different vibe than previous games. The camera is pretty awkward as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Bought it off the U.S. PS store earlier... And it's only downloaded 1GB in two hours :( guess that's me not playing it tonight then. Just as well I'm off tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Have to say I'm not impressed with the loading times considering the average graphics.

I finished the first mission, cut scene then it says installing game, please wait 496 seconds. An hour passes so I close the game and turn it back on, have to watch the same cut scene again, then it says installing game please wait 491 seconds. That was another hour ago.

I have an SSD in my PS4 so this is taking the piss big time. 3 hours with the game and only one mission in because of loading and installs with only 57mins of actual gameplay. Have to say the game does not look anything like the E3 vidoes, I thought it would be an improvement of GZ as they had a year to work on it. I guess that's what happens when you don't ditch last gen consoles.

The gameplay better make up for this as I'm not getting my Metal Gear vibe from this at all so far. So far it's just bad camera placement, clunky controls, so so graphics and Jack Bauer phoning in his lines. Don't even know what's wrong with the massive loading times and installing.

Think I'll go back to the MGS HD collection on the PS3 while this takes whatever hours it needs to install on the PS4.

There actually seems to be a problem installing on the PS4 in some cases. I'd to exit the game completely and turn the PS4 off and go back into it to get it working after the first mission, but it doesn't happen again after that.

Try turning your PS4 off and on. You might need to skip the last few cutscenes of the prologue, but once it gets to the installation bit it should fly through it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭Penn

My playtime is approaching 9 hours and I'm only 4% complete. This game is immense.

Mission 6 was absolutely brilliant. Amazing how you can have such great level design in an open world game. But man I end up requesting supply drops like a motherf*cker. Between suppressor and ammo for the tranq gun...

And have started expanding Mother Base too.

This game is awesome.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'd love to be playing this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Somethings wrong there bud, my load times are nothing like that. Were you downloading it and playing before it was completed? You can skip cut scenes by pressing on the left side of the touchpad btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Ramza wrote: »
    Is it a good idea to pretty much fulton every guard you knock out? I'm doing it at the minute but not sure if I should be :P
    At the early stages of the game thats all you really can do to build up MB. Once you start levelling up your team & get better binos, you can see what skills the guards have and decide which ones you want to fulton.
    Also, I downloaded my GZ save but I'm not sure what this does. Apparently it gives me costumes? Cannot find the option for them at the moment anywhere.
    If you extracted anyone during the GZ missions you'll get them at some stage. It doesn't kick in directly after the import. As for the costumes, you have to level R&D etc up to unlock them.
    tok9 wrote: »
    Finished up on mission 12 tonight and it was a good one as you need to cover a huge area. Really enjoyed that and everything that followed.

Finally have DD too and he is awesome. Might be making it too easy even as he spots pretty much everything that is near you.
    Yeah, 12 is awesome. So much stuff to fulton.
    ShaneU wrote: »
    Favourite moment so far was on Mission 12
    "Take on me" by A-ha blaring from the chopper as metal gear is firing rockets at me LOL!

Ah, so I wasn't the only one :D
    Penn wrote: »
    My playtime is approaching 9 hours and I'm only 4% complete. This game is immense.
    24 hours and I've about 13%. I spent a ton of time doing side ops and building mother base. FOB is going to be ridiculous when it launches.
    This game is awesome.
    Couldn't agree more :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

i got it on the pc but i had no idea who any of those people were in the prologue apart from the obvious one near the end of it, was cool but i was like what ! what !! WHAT!!! looks bloody gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Yes very impressed with the visuals myself. It's not a graphics powerhouse but it's designed perfectly in all the ways that matter to a game in my opinion. Draw distance is a little weak sometimes, however. I looked off into the distance with the binoculars and saw some pretty ugly stuff. Wasn't even that far from a base, either. It wasn't gameplay related stuff in that wasn't rendering fully so wouldn't give it any points down for that.

But I can't complain, honestly. I'm playing with all the important settings on ultra and only a few to low (post processing for example). Motion blur off. V-sync off for added responsiveness. Depth of field off because that is awful in game but the cut-scenes do it perfectly.

I'm very glad to see they've added separate sensitivity options for all camera modes. Essential for mouse usage if you have your own preferences.

CQC is a little less intuitive with KB/M I have to admit. I have to slightly more consciously make sure I'm pressing a direction first before tapping left click. I remember in MGS3, 4 and PW just having a natural feel to it. I think I'm getting the hang of it, though. No doubt it'll be second nature later... I do use CQC a lot. I just got caught while I was holding a person (very early mission) so I backed off with them as a human shield behind cover before K.O'ing them and ran off on my horse (mission complete anyway).

Super glad to see multiple take-downs possible from PW, too. That was very useful for tight spaces packed with enemies so I'm glad I know I'm still capable of handling myself in such situations again.

Audio is great but don't think I'm getting the full experience thanks to the padding on my headphones being shredded after some years. I'd invest in a new pair but I'm fresh out of change after buying this game :P I'd also love to use my fairly good speakers but I just cannot game on difficult 3D games like this because the 'surround' sound gives me more tactical awarness. I remember it being essential for MGO2 and was very frustrated back then when my headphones died and was playing it for a few weeks through TV speakers. Got snuck up on a lot like that.

Loading times are... unimpressive. I didn't install to SSD but I've gotten much faster speeds on many games with this HDD. Borderless windowed mode helps with switching to this forum and other stuff while I wait :pac:

Oh well, glad I got this game! It's a bit late though so I'll finish up with some more messing around MB and a cuppa. G'night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    So it seems Kojima really wants me to know he made this game. I've watched 10 sets of credits at his stage, I thought I would only see credits at the end. Not sure what that is all about.
    As you may know, this is Kojima's last game with Konami and it's widely rumoured that he was let go because of spiralling costs on this game and Konami's lack of interest in the video game market these days. His name was also removed most of this game's marketing material.

So perhaps the endless credits within the game are his way of 'sticking it to the man' and reclaiming ownership of the game in the eyes of players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

As annoying as they are, I can live with the credits.

What really bugs me is how it appears to give away the mission characters BEFORE you've played the mission.

I really hope that doesn't ruin any surprises.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

For those who got this on PC , can you please answer a few things for me....( I don't need to know anything in 'comparison' to the PS4 version....as I don't own a PS4..and have no interest in the PC vs Console debate or which is better)
    Just...
    - How does it run, laggy, framerate , requirements , disk size ?
    - Are you using a joypad / mouse keyboard ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

wow! the timeline for the MGS games are complicated

http://metalgeartimeline.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I just look away or do my best not to gaze at the credits. Usually that scene is you on a chopper anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭iggyigauna89

SeantheMan wrote: »
    For those who got this on PC , can you please answer a few things for me....( I don't need to know anything in 'comparison' to the PS4 version....as I don't own a PS4..and have no interest in the PC vs Console debate or which is better)
    Just...

Running like a dream for me: i5 3570k, AMD 7950 @ 1080.
    Note sure at the framerate but have had no drops at all so far, running it at high/very high settings. Using an xbox 360 controller.

Only minor issue is Snakes beard hair looks likes pubes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I think the credits and the "cast list" are a small bit jarring alright. I played it for about 4 hours yesterday and never really felt immersed in it. I think its a combination of the credits and the near total lack of conversation by the Boss. I know someone mentioned the lack of codec calls has cut down the dialogue immensely, but say for example in the scene where (early game spoiler)
    You rescue Kaz and he's pouring his heart out on the chopper. Not a single word from Snake. Its his best mate that he hasn't seen in 9 years and just rescued from certain death. Surely a line or two of dialogue could have gone in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I think the credits and the "cast list" are a small bit jarring alright. I played it for about 4 hours yesterday and never really felt immersed in it. I think its a combination of the credits and the near total lack of conversation by the Boss. I know someone mentioned the lack of codec calls has cut down the dialogue immensely, but say for example in the scene where (early game spoiler)
    You rescue Kaz and he's pouring his heart out on the chopper. Not a single word from Snake. Its his best mate that he hasn't seen in 9 years and just rescued from certain death. Surely a line or two of dialogue could have gone in there.

I am about 5 missions in and this is the single biggest disappointment so far, aspects of the game are great but it is a little soulless at the moment and very mgs with an almost completely silent snake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Played a bit more GZ to get some more extractions. Anyone know if you can easily tell if you have extracted everyone available?

• Administrators Posts: 53,844 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Skerries wrote: »
    wow! the timeline for the MGS games are complicated

http://metalgeartimeline.com/

The Metal Gear series has one of the most confusing and complicated storylines ever. Not helped because the games are all out of order chronologically, and jump about considerably.

Also not helped when all the main characters have almost the same name, and many of the variants are voiced at some stage by the same person.

Oh, and don't forget that the same characters have different names in the different games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Regrettably did not pre book the game and Argos are sold out. Is there any advantage of buying a retail copy or will the download version (PS4) be the same in all bar price?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Noopti wrote: »
    Played a bit more GZ to get some more extractions. Anyone know if you can easily tell if you have extracted everyone available?

Good link here showing all the people you can extract from GZ

http://www.pcgamer.com/prepare-the-perfect-ground-zeroes-save-file-for-metal-gear-solid-5/

I was a bit worried about the open world aspect and didn't think it would be very focused but there is brilliant level design and always interesting ways to take guards out. I hadn't spilled one drop of blood and then at the end of Where the Bees Sleep, I looked like I just came out of the blood disco from Blade, brilliant mission.

I'm only using my tranq pistol and AR just in the last mission, feel like all the weapons you can deploy are wasted on me. Anyone find some good non lethal weapons?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Just...

22gb download and is fine on a normal HD, no issues with graphics but my PC is decent. A lot of people saying its running fine with 7870s etc

Xbox controller and its a cracking game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

faceman wrote: »
    Regrettably did not pre book the game and Argos are sold out. Is there any advantage of buying a retail copy or will the download version (PS4) be the same in all bar price?

I bought it from the U.S. Store, worked out 20 quid cheaper than the irish one.

Played the prologue and the first mission this morning. My god I'm so clumsy at stealth. I think I'm being all careful and clever then boom, someone has seen me. Assume I'll get better over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Zero-Cool wrote: »

http://www.pcgamer.com/prepare-the-perfect-ground-zeroes-save-file-for-metal-gear-solid-5/

I was a bit worried about the open world aspect and didn't think it would be very focused but there is brilliant level design and always interesting ways to take guards out. I hadn't spilled one drop of blood and then at the end of Where the Bees Sleep, I looked like I just came out of the blood disco from Blade, brilliant mission.

I'm only using my tranq pistol and AR just in the last mission, feel like all the weapons you can deploy are wasted on me. Anyone find some good non lethal weapons?

I have my eye on the tranq sniper at the moment. Fultoning all and sundry to up my R+D level to get there.

Had a great moment last night actually. I was re doing A Hero's way to try and get the hidden resources in the village. I had interrogated a few chumps but didn't get the info I was looking for. So I moved in closer to the base and was near the commanders hut when a sand storm came in. Result. Legged it into the base and straight into a guard. My silencer was gone on my tranq gun so I reflexed into the assault rifle and killed him. Moved his boy out of sight just as the other guards came to investigate. Just about got away with it.

I was trying to get into the commanders hut to search for the materials, so I decided to plant some C4 on the power generator as a distraction in case I was seen. Got that done and moved upstairs into the hut. Still no materials. As I was going to leave I nudged one of the chairs, drawing attention of the guard downstairs. ****e. I quickly detonated the C4 to try and distract him but he came looking anyway. No choice, shot him. The base was now on alert and I still hadn't found my materials. I decided to go full rambo on their asses. Called in an air support chopper and systematically murdered everyone in the base without being spotted. The chopper survived and pulled back to a LZ just over the bridge. Spoiler for material location
    I was running to it when I happened to see a little glimmer just under the bridge. It was the materials.
    Collected them and out I went.

The point of the story is that this games biggest strength (IMO) is how dynamic it is, how the world reacts to your actions and how you react to the world. It is very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I'm actually disappointed with this. Like its the best in gameplay terms MGS has ever been by a country mile, but it so doesn't feel anything like a Kojima game or a metal gear game, its lost its spark.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm actually disappointed with this. Like its the best in gameplay terms MGS has ever been by a country mile, but it so doesn't feel anything like a Kojima game or a metal gear game, its lost its spark.

I attached a nudey girl poster to my cardboard box but I had to unequip it as a guard kept following me around. Definitely feels like a Kojima game to me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Thanks, had a read of that. My main issue is that I haven't played the game in a year, so I actually don't know if I have extracted everyone and I don't really want to do each mission again to be sure. I thought there might be a menu or something for each mission which would say "Persons Extracted: 2/4" or similar.

Advertisement