Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Gear Solid V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

.ak wrote: »

As dodgy as the story was in MGS2 the gameplay mechanics was fantastic - you could be stealthy without being tedious, the transitions were quick and fluid and that's probably down the areas being very linear but atleast it was fun. The opening sequence is brilliant.

I've played 2 more than the rest.
    It definitely was the easiest to revisit. Getting all the dog tags on different difficulties.
    Batsh*t crazy story, but sure it's Kojima!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I actually really enjoyed the story. I thought the Patriots angle was easy to read into. I also really liked Vamp and the other bosses. Seems to get a bit of grief but I thought it was a great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I actually really enjoyed the story. I thought the Patriots angle was easy to read into. I also really liked Vamp and the other bosses. Seems to get a bit of grief but I thought it was a great game.

There were little things which annoyed me throughout (particularly the "Let's talk via Codec even though we're standing right beside each other and there's clearly no-one else around" in half the cutscenes), but overall and especially gameplay-wise, it's a fantastic game with some moments of brilliance.

There's also a great analysis of the game which really explains some of the design decisions and what they mean, which is a great read:
    http://www.deltaheadtranslation.com/MGS2/DOTM_TOC.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I might be missing something here, but MGS:GZ for me has the most similar game play to MGS1/2. Simple, easy to navigate areas with plenty of hides and plenty of patrols. I really enjoyed it, despite it being outrageously priced, but it gives me great hope that MGS5 is going to go back to that more open style of play. I didn't like MGS3/4 mostly because I felt it forced you to be a stealthy as possible and sucked the life out of the game. I always felt if I get caught it's game over and start again. The quick-combat wasn't as fun as previous games. In GZ it feels like if you make a mistake you can get an oppertunity to fix things before they get out of hand. I think that's what makes a game fun, the randomness and open style that I felt was missing in 3 and 4. I don't find changing my cammo whilst crawling from foliage to foliage mid-game very fun. I found those sections very tedious.

As dodgy as the story was in MGS2 the gameplay mechanics was fantastic - you could be stealthy without being tedious, the transitions were quick and fluid and that's probably down the areas being very linear but atleast it was fun. The opening sequence is brilliant.

Agree with you on that. Picked up GZ there during the last Steam sale and I instantly felt at home in it, just like i did in MGS1 and 2. It felt like you could be experimental and didnt overly punish you if you messed up. (On normal anyway) It was just plain fun. MGS3 was an epic game but it didnt hit the sweet spot like the first two did for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

Went to preorder MGS5 CE from gamestop and they are looking for 140 for it.Rip off considing the RRP is 100 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Konami missed out on some money not re-releasing MGS4 on current gen in the run up to this. Should of passed it to Bluepoint, they do some great work on ports/remaster/remakes.

Gonna have to watch a playthrough on Youtube or read a wiki.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,398 ✭✭✭✭noodler

rizzla wrote: »
    Konami missed out on some money not re-releasing MGS4 on current gen in the run up to this. Should of passed it to Bluepoint, they do some great work on ports/remaster/remakes.

Gonna have to watch a playthrough on Youtube or read a wiki.

How come?

4's mental story won't have a whole lot to do with this prequel set decades prior.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Well playing Peace Walker and Snake Eater, there were some ah-ha, that's how that happened moments, which if you hadn't played 1 or 2 you prob wouldn't have gotten, don't ask me to remember. I'd imagine there may be some in 5 which if you hadn't played 4 would not get the reference.

They would have gotten my money, and I imagine quite a few others too, Xbox only gamers, etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's some rumours around that Kojima might be leaving Konami. If he leaves that will be the last big talent in Konami disappearing and possibly Konami fully exiting game development.

If he does leave it might be the best thing for him if he goes indie, I always thought his best stuff came when he was allowed to experiment more with the likes of ZoE2, Boktai and well MGS3 as well in a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There's some rumours around that Kojima might be leaving Konami. If he leaves that will be the last big talent in Konami disappearing and possibly Konami fully exiting game development.

If he does leave it might be the best thing for him if he goes indie, I always thought his best stuff came when he was allowed to experiment more with the likes of ZoE2, Boktai and well MGS3 as well in a way.

Ya Konami have come out and not really clarified it at all. Reading between the lines it seems the news was something Konami was hoping people might not notice yet. It's been a strange week for gaming, if true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/kojima-mia/

What is even going on with Konami...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Konami don't make games anymore. They make metal gear and Pes and if their investors could have their way they'd be making pachinko and mobile games only.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's a shame to see his name downplayed, gaming needs to start paying more attention to its few auteurs and unique voices. Kojima is in many respects one of the archetypal and foremost directorial voices out there (for better and worse), so to see an anonymous brand pushed up front is a disappointing step in the wrong direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

I've been thinking a lot about whether or not I'll be playing Metal Gear V and I've come to the conclusion that I'm not the same gamer i was when i first played a Metal Gear game (roughly 15 years ago) and at the age of 38 i may not be able to put up with Kojima's convoluted bullsh!t story telling.

MGS4 had a bull**** story and gameplay that stunk to high heaven for about three quarters of the game. However Peace a Walker and Ground Zeroes, despite the story are damn fine games that are definitely worth playing.

• ^Not this again

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Went to preorder MGS5 CE from gamestop and they are looking for 140 for it. Rip off considing the RRP is 100 euro.

They go together like cheese and onion.

Just stop shopping there.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

The news surrounding Kojima's departure is a strange one.There are many factors that could be at play that are open to some speculation over the last few years. I just hope we get know the full version soon enough (though seeing as it took so long to even get a release date for TPP,I'm being a little optimistic here.)

Really worried about how Silent Hills may turn out,was looking forward to see how this would pan out although now I'm not so sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Knowing Kojima this could all be an elaborate ruse, the man love to mess with peoples heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I thought the man was going to be carried out from Konami (and Metal Gear) in a coffin. This is good news.

• Advertisement

Well Konami also lost the Love Plus creator in the last few days, I'd say they are making a big push to get out of games and have been for the last few years. They showed Mercurystream a lot of disinterest with Lords of Shadows 2 and games just seem like a sinkhole of investment for them. I'd say PES development will be kept around under review for a while.

I remember when you saw Konami on a box you were almost assured of a great game. Now you'd be lucky to see it at all. They'll also be taking Hudsonsoft's catalogue down with them. How the mighty have fallen.
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    ^Not this again

The truth hurts. Was so cathartic to here the retronauts guys laying into it recently. :)

Was anyone else in 2008 absolutely convinced that by the end, MGS4 was going to be the sole example of a series that actually ended and didn't come back. As in the franchise in all forms ended, never to be money spinned, rebooted, no more nope zilch, nada.

I remember finishing MGS4 one summer evening and thinking "wow, its actually over, all of it, I can't believe it"

Kojima created something truly bizarre, depressing, amazing and it felt like him saying this is the end, "let know else try to finish my meldromatic tale, you'll fail".

It was almost an admission the series had gone too far in places and (I think it has) saying I will tie everything up before this ends badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

That is seriously disappointing news for several reasons but mostly for Silent Hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I wonder what's going to happen with the development of silent hills now if he parts away from konami..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

MGS4 had a bull**** story and gameplay that stunk to high heaven for about three quarters of the game. However Peace a Walker and Ground Zeroes, despite the story are damn fine games that are definitely worth playing.

PW when i played it on 360 was excellent, even with that awful p2p mulitplayer and the lagfest :(

Kojima has been done / leaving since 2000/2002 during mgs 2 then again with 3 and 4. Rare i'd say or even think it of a creator but the series at many points may have been better off without him. Great in the concepts poor in the delivery. That said it would also depend on the publisher the IP sat with ..... capcom or ea would have milked mgs dry 20 years afo and we'd be looking at mgs 20 not 5 now.

To be honest Kojima leaving MGS is the exact same as Disney getting the Star Wars IP.... exactly the same!!!!

calex71 wrote: »
    PW when i played it on 360 was excellent, even with that awful p2p mulitplayer and the lagfest :(

Kojima has been done / leaving since 2000/2002 during mgs 2 then again with 3 and 4. Rare i'd say or even think it of a creator but the series at many points may have been better off without him. Great in the concepts poor in the delivery. That said it would also depend on the publisher the IP sat with ..... capcom or ea would have milked mgs dry 20 years afo and we'd be looking at mgs 20 not 5 now.

To be honest Kojima leaving MGS is the exact same as Disney getting the Star Wars IP.... exactly the same!!!!

I'd hate and love to see a Metal Gear not designed and ran by Kojima. Would it turned into a generic stealth shoot em up or would it return to the more grounded action movie feel of Metal Gear Solid 1 with surreal elements.

Anyway after 13 years, several games later, boy racing subculture rise and fall, rise of social media and the widespread use of the internet and a world wide depression later, Kojima does the thing he promised he would do in 2002.

I hope unlike Sakaguchi (original creator of Final Fantasy, a similar case ) that he doesn't languish in relative obscurity making indie games

It's not really the same as sakaguchi. Metal gear just isn't metal gear without Kojima while Sakaguchi was hardly the creative force behind Final Fantasy since the very first final fantasy game.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The truth hurts. Was so cathartic to here the retronauts guys laying into it recently. :)

Opinion =/= Truth

Looking more and more like Konami will be dead as a console developer after phantom pain:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/konami-tries-to-quietly-erase-hideo-kojima-as-it-continues-to-bleed-talent

• Advertisement

• Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well Konami also lost the Love Plus creator in the last few days, I'd say they are making a big push to get out of games and have been for the last few years. They showed Mercurystream a lot of disinterest with Lords of Shadows 2 and games just seem like a sinkhole of investment for them. I'd say PES development will be kept around under review for a while.

I remember when you saw Konami on a box you were almost assured of a great game. Now you'd be lucky to see it at all. They'll also be taking Hudsonsoft's catalogue down with them. How the mighty have fallen.

Opinion ;)

Advertisement