Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Gear Solid V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Apparently there's an issue with having quiet as your buddy on mission 29 &42

Stops game progress.

Can't link it from twitter as I'm at work.

Huh, I got lucky I think, I used her on mission 29
    considering mission 29 is an insane boss battle with the skulls, then you'd be stupid not to take the only buddy who can do serious amounts of damage

no corruption on my end, though I've been doing side ops since and only tried mission 30 once.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

J. Marston wrote: »
    Do people play with reflex mode on?

Yeah I do, not a big fan of it but I don't like the insta-alarm as the alternative. Would have MUCH preferred a system where the guy tries to call in assistance and you can try stop him before he does.

Currently, If I get spotted and it turns mental, I restart to last checkpoint. Would be easy enough to stay in alarm mode and pick soldiers off but keeping it stealthy is where the game excels and I prefer to keep it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I can't justify turning it on. If your aim is good you can literally just run through any level and tranq/shoot anyone who spots you over and over with reflex. It makes the game a joke. It's like super auto aim for the most casual of the players they knew they'd have to help. Personally I've been getting good enough at aiming so I can turn and tranq/shoot people without the need for reflex when they spot me, albeit not nearly as reliably but I have managed to take out even multiple targets who've spot me before sounding the alarm. You can surprise yourself if you just keep at it.

I do miss the matrix slow motion, though. Would be cool if they had it for some other instances just for the cool factor. The sound effect is sick.

I also don't restart from checkpoint but instead restart the whole level if things have gone completely fecked like targets going to escape. Returning to checkpoint lessens the rating which I'm not too fussed about but if I'm gonna load back I might as well do the whole thing. Otherwise, I usually just try to deal with and adapt to any messes I've made... it's what makes the game interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Hey guys sorry for the question here as someone may of asked it before but i dont wanna go reading threw thread incase of spoilers. I like the looks of this game so was gonna pick it up but i have never played any of the older gmes so just wondering would i be better playing threw any of the older games first is there a continuing story theme or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

jayo26 wrote: »
    Hey guys sorry for the question here as someone may of asked it before but i dont wanna go reading threw thread incase of spoilers. I like the looks of this game so was gonna pick it up but i have never played any of the older gmes so just wondering would i be better playing threw any of the older games first is there a continuing story theme or anything?

You could just read up the story lines on Wikipedia, the MGS world is quite big to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

You'd definitely want to at least play ground zeroes and maybe watch some videos on youtube to catch up on the story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Cheers guys will do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

There's a few videos on youtube that can catch you up on the story. of course i'd recommend playing through them to understand the small things that pop up that older players will catch but realistically it's a very long series.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,740 ✭✭✭✭Penn

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    considering mission 29 is an insane boss battle with the skulls, then you'd be stupid not to take the only buddy who can do serious amounts of damage

no corruption on my end, though I've been doing side ops since and only tried mission 30 once.

It's fairly lucky this came up as I just reached this point a while ago. Haven't started the mission yet but trying to decide between chancing it with Quiet or trying out D-Walker who I haven't used yet. Might have to do a few side ops with him first to get used to him etc.

D-Walker might help (though I've never used him either) at least he's armed.

the only companion I have maxed out is D-Dog, who lets you customize his fur colour etc when you max him. So I've turned him into a fox. The stun ability of his 2nd suit is really useful for dealing with wandering guards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

I would say it is not a necessity. I've never known what was going on in metal gear games and still don't, I've only ever been interested in the gameplay. I see no reason why you couldn't just plough into this one and enjoy it on its own.

he does need to play ground zeroes at least as this runs directly off ground zeroes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Only got this today and noticed when I started that there was no difficulty option. Think that's a first for MGS games. I remember MGS2 having about 7 different levels of difficulty.

Prologue is amazing too.
    Volgin! "Kuwabara, Kuwabara..."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Anyone completed Mission 19?

Towards the end
    When you've tailed the first guy and then start following the Major. He only went about 100m's ahead and I heard the gunship after being taken out but I've no idea what took it out as I was still sorted out the soldiers at the meeting point.

Did that happen for everyone else and if so, any idea's what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Beware of this bug.
    Konami is warning players of a potential bug that corrupts their Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain game saves and makes them unusable. The bug affects all platforms of the game.

In simple terms, don't bring along Quiet as a companion for either Mission 29 or Mission 42. Doing so can trigger the corruption and kill the save file.

Konami apologized for the glitch, and indicated it would be working to patch it out in the future.

tok9 wrote: »
    Anyone completed Mission 19?

Towards the end
    When you've tailed the first guy and then start following the Major. He only went about 100m's ahead and I heard the gunship after being taken out but I've no idea what took it out as I was still sorted out the soldiers at the meeting point.

Did that happen for everyone else and if so, any idea's what happened?

Didnt happen to me

mostly because
    I gassed the entire area straight after the meeting. I chucked every sleeping grenade and stun grenade I had into the column of jeeps knocking out the major and his guards etc all in one go pulled him and any other valuable soldiers and buggered off before the guards on the perimeter realized what I had done

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭BKtje

Happened to me. Assumed Quiet took it out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Interesting, I had her on the mission too but I don't think it was. She was using the tranq rifle too so I don't think she could.

After my weekend hiatus I made a load of progress today. I've completed just under half of the Side ops and I've completed 21 Main missions (I was taken out of a mission to do mission 22)

So I've unlocked the FOBs now, unfortunately I was only able to test my own base out which is a cake walk really. I couldn't connect to any other FOBs.

I've put in over 36 hours and I'm on 36% :O

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

Penn wrote: »
    It's fairly lucky this came up as I just reached this point a while ago. Haven't started the mission yet but trying to decide between chancing it with Quiet or trying out D-Walker who I haven't used yet. Might have to do a few side ops with him first to get used to him etc.

D-walker is the only one I'd be using for that mission. Quiet is crap by comparison. Spend some time upgrading the gatling gun and within 20 seconds you can kill a skull. From full shield to empty and empty health.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

I found this beauty of a review on Metacritic - the guy gave it 0/10.

"I bought this game due to high review scores and started playing with optimism. I have played for approximately one hour and dislike it so much I've deleted it. I wouldn't really call it a game it's more like a bad film. It's a series of tedious cut scenes I crawl between. Some bad guys are searching for me however they must be blind because one of them was inspecting a corpse barely 20cm away and failed to notice me. I have a companion who walks in what sounds like high heels even though he's wearing rubber hospital shoes. The control system is clumsy and I find myself unable to avoid walking into fire. My hospital outfit must be military issue as my character believes there is a side holster. I'm clearly a medical genius as I can heal a broken arm in about 5 seconds just by pulling on it. I don't expect brutal realism but this is so preposterous it's shattered my immersion and enjoyment. What a disappointment, I hope I can get a refund."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,740 ✭✭✭✭Penn

D-walker is the only one I'd be using for that mission. Quiet is crap by comparison. Spend some time upgrading the gatling gun and within 20 seconds you can kill a skull. From full shield to empty and empty health.

Ended up bringing dwalker and not using him. Forgot that most of the upgrades I'd purchased hadn't finished being developed. Only had tranq guns on him.

Mission was handy enough anyway in the end. Hardest part was trying to get supply drops ordered to restock rockets.

Penn wrote: »
    Ended up bringing dwalker and not using him. Forgot that most of the upgrades I'd purchased hadn't finished being developed. Only had tranq guns on him.

Mission was handy enough anyway in the end. Hardest part was trying to get supply drops ordered to restock rockets.

I found the best thing was to go over to the far side of the runway and use the two buildings there as buffers. You can duck into one order a supply drop and recover health then sprint out a different door as the two smaller buildings each had 3 doors each while the second floor ones had the long walkway you can jump off. so they'd lose track of you very easily allowing me to get in a free shot with rockets when re engaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

MERfeYBl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

MERfeYBl.jpg
    Proof positive that gamers are misogynist ****lords.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Only about 6 hours in, but loving it. Kojima is a genius, but I do wish he'd let someone else write the storylines. Seems to be still peddling superfluous nonsense half the time.

Still. It's a small price to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Flamethrower
    is now available for development.

Don't mind if I do :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I spent this evening playing this in my friend's house and suddenly it was 3am. Wow. It's a master piece. I am looking forward to getting a hold of it myself. But first, Mad Max. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    I found this beauty of a review on Metacritic - the guy gave it 0/10.

"I bought this game due to high review scores and started playing with optimism. I have played for approximately one hour and dislike it so much I've deleted it. I wouldn't really call it a game it's more like a bad film. It's a series of tedious cut scenes I crawl between. Some bad guys are searching for me however they must be blind because one of them was inspecting a corpse barely 20cm away and failed to notice me. I have a companion who walks in what sounds like high heels even though he's wearing rubber hospital shoes. The control system is clumsy and I find myself unable to avoid walking into fire. My hospital outfit must be military issue as my character believes there is a side holster. I'm clearly a medical genius as I can heal a broken arm in about 5 seconds just by pulling on it. I don't expect brutal realism but this is so preposterous it's shattered my immersion and enjoyment. What a disappointment, I hope I can get a refund."
    In fairness, if you had no idea what the game was about or what the main game was like, then you'd uninstall it during the prologue too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Evade wrote: »
    Proof positive that gamers are misogynist ****lords.:pac:

/triggered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

humanji wrote: »
    In fairness, if you had no idea what the game was about or what the main game was like, then you'd uninstall it during the prologue too.

Reviewer's own fault for jumping straight into a game with FIVE at the end of it :pac:

Advertisement