Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Gear Solid V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,177 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Second Trailer! What a way to light a cigar :D

Volgin at 37 seconds. Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

No thank you, I've definitely seen more than enough of this. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Watched all of that vid, my hype levels are now the drill that will pierce the heavens!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,705 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Never reached this amount of hype for a game probably ever.

Amazing trailer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

So the general rumours floating around right now is that
    skullface is an alter-ego/projection of Big Boss. Seen some convincing arguments and Kiefer Sutherland said in an interview "I almost blew it, I almost told you something I'm really not allowed to." just as he was about to reveal his experience with facial motion capture... which suggest he did facial capture for more than one character.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Anytime I see them boobs....so unecessarily brilliant

Just watched that E3 trailer. Everything looks so good. It's really the tactical freedom I've always wanted... I just play better when I can do things my own way. The weapon custmisation and freedom to pick and choose where, when and how you approach missions is very player-empowering in the ways that matter most.

That said... I'm pretty bummed the fulton recovery is back. I guess it would be ok for when all enemies are incapacitated, mission complete etc and you're just gathering stuff for MB. But for it to be be used really close to enemies like that just makes a joke of the stealth aspect. You don't need to hide bodies properly anymore.

Worst of all he (the presenter) used fulton recovery on a target when he was right next to anti-air! In case anyone doesn't know... FR relies completely on a plane passing by. I can get over the game being unrealistic in so many ways as to even use FR in this way... but for anti-air artillery to not even reduce the effective range of it seems totally wrong. This is the kind of thing that will make the game way too easy for me. I guess I could just go in naked with a knife and rambo takedown entire bases, though.

Or they just make FR a commodity not to be used on any ole soldier/equipment but saved for priority and valuable targets. I somehow think that would just make getting FR a grind... one that would be boring to do but you'd do it because again... it makes missions pretty easy and you'd be dumb not to stock up on it.

Or... just make anti-air actually work.

It was hard to watch the presenter try and aim with a gamepad during the action. There was some heavy aim-assist going on at the second half of the battle as well as that slow-motion which made Big Boss nearly do a 180 turn instantaneously, automatically and left the player's reticle center-body. From what I played of GZ, you can turn off all these features. My only wish is that you get some kind of XP or rating bonus (that manifests in the form of resources in the end somehow) because making a game difficult yourself for difficulties sake is fine with me but it's much nicer to have a reward for playing old school... especially when half of the features you're turning off are just to compensate for inaccurate controls and slow reaction times from the player.

I only mention this criticism because I think the rest of the game looks insanely good and I'm really hyped for it... but these things really can totally spoil the rest of an amazing game. I've seen it happen before and it's always a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Has anyone seen any good deals for this pop up yet? Are amazon doing a pre order 3 deal or anything since E3?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Was that ....Sniper Wolf in that trailer O_O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Was that ....Sniper Wolf in that trailer O_O

Doubt it, I didn't see any very young blonde female sniper in the trailer. She was around 30 in MGS and that was set in 2005. Phantom Pain is set in 1984.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Underground

So the general rumours floating around right now is that
    skullface is an alter-ego/projection of Big Boss. Seen some convincing arguments and Kiefer Sutherland said in an interview "I almost blew it, I almost told you something I'm really not allowed to." just as he was about to reveal his experience with facial motion capture... which suggest he did facial capture for more than one character.

Makes absolutely no sense, which for MGS means it's perfectly possible.

Makes absolutely no sense, which for MGS means it's perfectly possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Just watched this...

I haven't played a Metal Gear game since MG2 and this trailer has me hyped for reasons unknown to me. I watched a recap video of the past games and have the basic gist of the storyline. But if this is set after Peacewalker (1980s) then why is Big Boss and Ocelot on the same team here? Assuming thats Ocelot in the red. Wasn't Ocelot working for the Patriots and Big Boss was working against the US in Outer Heaven? Or have i just mixed some **** up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I would really advise playing MGS3 at least if you have the time just because it's a fantastic game.

tok9 wrote: »
    I would really advise playing MGS3 at least if you have the time just because it's a fantastic game.

Would if I could but I only have a PC and PS4 at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

That's a shame, because MGS3 really is one of the best games ever.

That being said, a quick answer to the question you asked:
    Big Boss, Ocelot, Zero*, ParaMedic*, Sigint* and Eva** formed The Patriots together. Big Boss & Eva left because they disagreed with Zero's methods. Ocelot sides with Big Boss but stayed with The Patriots to act as a double agent (which he does a lot in the MGS series). Zero (aka Cipher) basically has a lot of control over the US government etc, so Big Boss being against the US is basically Big Boss being against Zero.
    *Big Boss' support team in MGS3
    **Another agent Big Boss met during MGS3

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Trying to get into Ground Zeroes but I just can't get used to the control scheme & I often end up getting caught while moving a body or that.
    I saw the TGS & E3 demos of Phantom Pain and gave it another go but no luck :confused:
    Any advice or tutorial videos for it?

ERG89 wrote: »
    Trying to get into Ground Zeroes but I just can't get used to the control scheme & I often end up getting caught while moving a body or that.
    I saw the TGS & E3 demos of Phantom Pain and gave it another go but no luck :confused:
    Any advice or tutorial videos for it?

There is videos of it on youtube. One has him extracting everyone on the map including all optional rescues and he gets out in about 20 mins I think.

I keep making a mess of it too, I find it very hard to no get caught compared to any other stealth game. No matter where I put a body it gets found, I don't kill anyone though, they are all KOs. Think I'll have to go for the lethal option till I get the knack to this, haven't played it since it was first released though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

ERG89 wrote: »
    I saw the TGS & E3 demoes of Phantom Pain and gave it another go but no luck :confused:
    Any advice?

Survey the area with binoculars as much as possible, and repeatedly. It'll mark enemies and keep track of them. Get to high places if possible and survey the area.
    Take a bit of time to work out enemies paths. You'll be able to see where the best place to take them out are to minimise having to move bodies, or even where you might be able to sneak around them and avoid taking them out altogether.
    Lure enemies into areas by getting enough within their sight that the white arc appears on the screen (but not enough that the camera goes slo-mo). They'll generally walk over to investigate what they saw.

• Advertisement

http://pcsx2.net/

Most things PS2 era and earlier are playable to you if you have a PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I never understood the juxtaposition (especially in MGS4) of having tons of lovingly rendered guns, and then being asked to complete No-Kill runs for the best rewards.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I never understood the juxtaposition (especially in MGS4) of having tons of lovingly rendered guns, and then being asked to complete No-Kill runs for the best rewards.

That was MGS4 being a one off really and going with the whole PMC black markets weapons theme.

In this game none of the guns are real anymore. They are all based on real world designs but none are modeled exactly as they should be or are called their real names. All the other games had real weapons with their real names for the most part. MGS4 had a crazy amount of weapons in it, almost as must as Battlefield 4 with all the DLC parks included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

That trick shot with the sleep grenade was ridiculous in that video. Not a mad fan of the flying arm either. And what's with the unnecessary titties everywhere? Definitely not a game I want the missus walking in on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

That trick shot with the sleep grenade was ridiculous in that video. Not a mad fan of the flying arm either. And what's with the unnecessary titties everywhere? Definitely not a game I want the missus walking in on.
    Why do people still think like that?

"Oh noes, boobs! Now I can never show my face again!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

So who else will spend hours trying to find
    the best sledding spot?

I wonder how much hidden stuff/collectables will be dotted round the map, apart from side ops. MGS games are notorious for weird little things off the beaten path.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Why do people still think like that?

"Oh noes, boobs! Now I can never show my face again!"

If the game was based in a titty bar then grand, whop them out there love. But the game is based in a warzone/Afghani desert, having boobs flop across the screen is completely not necessary and detracts from the atmosphere of the game setting. In my opinion of course.

If the game was based in a titty bar then grand, whop them out there love. But the game is based in a warzone/Afghani desert, having boobs flop across the screen is completely not necessary and detracts from the atmosphere of the game setting. In my opinion of course.

Because boobs suddenly don't exist as soon as dudes start fighting? Why are people so triggered by nudity? What atmosphere are they detracting from? The atmosphere of a world where women don't exist, or where nudity or just exposed skin don't exist?

• Advertisement

MGS games don't take themselves to seriously at the best of times. A sniper in a bra, or attaching a balloon to a KO's soldier and watching him float away is part of the MGS charm.

Advertisement